• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

I think what she experienced in the start of episode 1 was just like a premonition or something. Jefferson drugging her and putting her out by the shore doesn't make any sense.

Here is total speculation and fan fiction based on the ending of Episode Four

Here is a reference that won't make sense to anyone, but what if Jefferson is the same kind of character as Jason Priestley in Tru Calling

A rundown of the character from that show

Halfway through the first season, Tru's life gets much more complicated when she meets Jack Harper (Jason Priestley), a man who shares Tru's abilities but who works to preserve what he sees as the hand of Fate by ensuring that the people Tru tries to help stay dead

Jefferson only has ties to the possible death of two people that Max tried/tries to save. Kate (who she can save) and Chloe (She save multiple times). However, without her power both would die. He does not want to kill Max, as she was never fated to die, but he wants to stop her meddling.

Persona7

Banned
After looking back the one decision I am not sure of is

episode 4 spoiler
The Warren/Nathan thing in the dorms. I can't decide if Nathan having a gun is a bad thing as he seems to know what is going on but he does not seem to have been involved with what happened to Rachel.

I've never experienced that. If a TV show with a linear storyline is watched back to back, and that isn't a good way to watch it, then it's a bad TV show. And Life is Strange is my favorite game of the year so far, though I binge-played the first four episodes in two sittings.

Deutschland 83 is an amazing TV show that critics and nearly everybody who watched it loved.

It worked better with the week long gaps than being watched all in a row.

MikeDown

Banned
Those events from Episode One always happened on a Friday (based on the paper Max saw blowing), so the fact that a whole bunch of Episode Five should take place on a Friday would make sense that we play that section - but it is now present.

Episode 4 stuff:
Also, the very first episode of LIS begins with Max waking up on the ground beside the lighthouse having no idea how she got there. If that is a glimpse into Friday - which we will now play in Episode Five - does that mean Jefferson put here there after drugging her?
I have a dreaded feeling that we're are going to be revisiting the
lighthouse in EP5, and Max is stuck in some sort of time loop.

It will be interesting to see if it ties together with the stuff right at the start, I imagine it would as the intro still leaves some stuff unanswered.
We know that Max can travel between points in time via photos, I don't think it would be too far fetched to say that she is
stuck in a time loop of sorts with her coming back from the events of episode 5 back to where she took the selfie in Jefferson's class. I could be wrong though, can't remember if taking the picture is optional, or not.

After looking back the one decision I am not sure of is

episode 4 spoiler
The Warren/Nathan thing in the dorms. I can't decide if Nathan having a gun is a bad thing as he seems to know what is going on but he does not seem to have been involved with what happened to Rachel.

So...
you're just gonna ignore the picture of nathan with a seemingly unconscious/dead Rachel Amber taken in the same place her body was found?

Persona7

Banned
So...
you're just gonna ignore the picture of nathan with a seemingly unconscious/dead Rachel Amber taken in the same place her body was found?

It seems like he was drugged and not really aware of what was happening. The other thing was how he reacted in the diner when max was wearing rachels clothes. Like I said, he is involved but he doesn't seem to know about Rachel so that stands out to me.

that's a very narrow approach to art

i disagree. watching an episodic show, or playing an episodic game, or even reading a series of books, should most definitely work both ways: back-to-back, or with breaks between. now, whether one feels one way works better is purely subjective...

Vylash

i hope the episode ends with "well you know what they say...life is strange"

I don't know if my heart can take another major downer plot point. Everything up until this point I'm alright with, but surely they can't do anything to waifu of the year
i'm sure dana will be okay

It's gonna be bittersweet as fuck.
yeah, no chance of us getting a super happy ending, but i'm okay with that

Persona7

Banned
spoiler for the end of episode four

I just noticed you can see jefferson's reflection in the glass when he picks up the syringe in the episode five preview. He is wearing a white button up shirt. I can't believe I didn't notice that before. Wow!

i'm sure dana will be okay

yGXjhBa.gif

uniform

I've been waiting on this since Giant Bomb quick looked episode 1. I wish I could space out time between episodes. I just can't if I hope to finish it.

Even my favorite games of the past ten years, if I take more than a week break I lose all interest. It's strange because prior to the break I'll be having a blast with a game, yet after the break things like watching television or surfing the internet seem more appealing. It really sucks to be so fickle.

i disagree. watching an episodic show, or playing an episodic game, or even reading a series of books, should most definitely work both ways: back-to-back, or with breaks between. now, whether one feels one way works better is purely subjective...

Well, I think nobody is saying that binge-playing DOESN'T work... just that it isn't the BEST way to experience the game. As well as binge watching isn't the best way to experience tv-shows that are written to be watched on a week by week basis.

I'll give a real life experience of the latter: a couple of months ago I binge-watched Breaking Bad. It took me about 3 weeks for the whole 5 seasons. I really loved it! It was great, and it totally absorbed my mind. BUT I feel I missed something nonetheless. When I reached season 5 mid season break, I was of course astonished about
Hank finally realising that Walt was indeed Heisenberg
, but to me that moment had only been waited for 3 weeks. It wasn't something I had been expecting (and theorizing about) for almost five years, and thus it couldn't have had nothing but a mild impact on me. Same you could say about the
epic face-off between Hank and Walt in Hank's basement
: it was great, it was epic, but I forgot about it the week after I finished watching the series.

Now let's get back a few years: Lost. That I DID watch while it was airing. There are tons of examples I could make, I'll go with the biggest one: season 3 ending.
"We have to go back Kate. WE HAVE TO GO BACK!!!"... plane taking off, and then
8 FREAKING MONTHS OF HIATUS! I was speechless. I spent 8 months making theories, reading forums, searching for clues in previous seasons, while frantically waiting for season 4 to start (I wasn't helped by the writer's strike). All of this I would have Lost (pun intended) if I had been able to watch episode 1 of season 4 right away. I would still have enjoyed the series, yes. But a lot less than I did being forced to go through it at the writers' pace instead of mine.

Violet_0

Banned
alright so if we go back to Ep1 my ending prediction is that

Max and Chloe never meet again and Max somehow saves Rachel, thus Chloe stays alive and goes on the road trip with Rachel. Bittersweet ending and many tears

alright so if we go back to Ep1 my ending prediction is that

Max and Chloe never meet again and Max somehow saves Rachel, thus Chloe stays alive and goes on the road trip with Rachel. Bittersweet ending and many tears

Yeah, there's gonna be some fatal reversion moment, I reckon. Something like that, or back to the toilets in Ep 1....

Well, I think nobody is saying that binge-playing DOESN'T work... just that it isn't the BEST way to experience the game. As well as binge watching isn't the best way to experience tv-shows that are written to be watched on a week by week basis.
And I am saying that's not true, how I experienced the first 4 episodes of Life is Strange back to back, and then had to wait for episode 5. The forced wait isn't going to magically change episode 5 in any way, except maybe to make it worse because I may accidentally read somebody's speculation about what happens which ends up being exactly right and thus spoiling the game for me (imagine being taken out of the moment over and over again while playing the last episode because everything that happens matches something you read/thought about). Worse if it's something *I* had taken the time to speculate on.

Lost is a prime example to me of a bad show that banked on people speculating to make it somewhat decent, which is why the show's popularity got worse as it went along and people realized there was no plan for the story.

The only way I could think of a series being made better by spacing out the episodes, is if the time between each episode actually happened - meaning, if a show was a week after the previous one, then the events in the new show actually take place a week later, with that time and the events the viewer missed being important to the story. In that one situation, the show would be better watched week by week.

Ashok

Banned
I've never experienced that. If a TV show with a linear storyline is watched back to back, and that isn't a good way to watch it, then it's a bad TV show.
That doesn't make any sense. Twin Peaks (which is actually referenced in Life is Strange) and The X-Files had linear storylines. They are probably 2 of the best shows I've ever seen in my entire life, and I can't imagine not watching those shows on a weekly basis. Those shows had GREAT stories but half of the magic in those shows was letting the audience imagination run wild every week. I love posting weekly fan theories about all the lore and mythology in The X-Files on the old bulletin boards.

And while we're on the subject of binge versus linear viewing, both Twin Peaks and The X-Files are returning to TV using a linear format. And David Lynch (Twin Peaks showrunner) and Chris Carter (The X-Files showrunner) both recently stated that they were extremely opposed to ever releasing episodes all at once (thank God), because they felt it was very important to retain the ability of leaving the audience with a sense of mystery and wonder every week where not all the information is immediately "in the wild".

Bingo. Vince Gilligan clearly wrote Breaking Bad to be experienced on a weekly basis. I watched EVERY SINGLE EPISODE live beginning with the pilot. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The friendships I made IRL across those six years was a life changing experience for me. You couldn't pay me $100M dollars to go back in time and wait and just binge that show.

And I am saying that's not true
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

How can you be spoiled by some other guy's guess? It's not like you're getting a real spoiler by an inside source. It's just speculation, you (and he as well) won't know he's right until after he's proven to be right, before that moment his theory is just as valid (or invalid) as anybody else's.

And I am saying that's not true
So you're saying that it isn't a better experience for some people that way? Thanks to the episodic nature and the release schedule I've made some good friends on another site that I've even met irl. Without the episodic schedule there wouldn't have been as much fun speculation and fanart, I really feel that it brings people more together.
But hey, it's not for everybody, but it is foolish to simply say that it's not true.

I mean, I consider that to be subjective. I don't agree that waiting is the best way to experience a series at all. I've watched plenty of shows that way, and I've actually stopped trying to follow so closely. Nothing makes me lose interest faster than waiting weeks, even months before the next episode. On top of that, fan speculation kills it for me. Nowadays I'll wait until I've built up a big enough buffer of episodes to watch like a marathon. Life is Strange is something I got into because I played the first three episodes with a friend, but I would much rather have played the game once every episode came out all at once. Some like it that way, some don't. But neither way is the "best".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Given the time between the finale and 4, I really hope DONTNOD manages to set a new standard for "choice matters" in the adventure novel genre.

Given the time between the finale and 4, I really hope DONTNOD manages to set a new standard for "choice matters" in the adventure novel genre.

For some reason, I don't think there will really be multiple endings, probably because of how the Telltale games have all worked, and how hard it must be coming up with multiple satisfying endings to a time-travel story. The game isn't made with a huge budget either.

Still it will be a pleasant surprise if we really do feel like our choices mattered.

Fret

For some reason, I don't think there will really be multiple endings, probably because of how the Telltale games have all worked, and how hard it must be coming up with multiple satisfying endings to a time-travel story. The game isn't made with a huge budget either.

Still it will be a pleasant surprise if we really do feel like our choices mattered.

With the way they've set up the ending montages it would be easier than normal to create lots of different endings and extra scenes

A-V-B

With the way they've set up the ending montages it would be easier than normal to create lots of different endings and extra scenes

Especially since they don't want to have the same cast for season 2. They want to do it kinda like how Heroes was originally envisioned. New story, new cast each season. I guess like True Detective as well? Or so I've heard, I've never watched it. But I get the idea.

Anyway, if there's no problem with continuity, you can have as many endings as you like.

Fret

Anyway, if there's no problem with continuity, you can have as many endings as you like.

Yep, you can make lots of good endings by just adding music underneath and making it a montage sequence, I'm 95% sure that its gonna happen

My analogy for what I believe the LIS ending will be has always been a long car trip.

Everyone is basically heading to the same destination, but each player will hit various different bumps on the read on the way there. They will pick up various items and people along the way, but they will all convene in the same place.

It will be great to see the ending play out with the people you dragged along with you, but having them there will not drastically affect the overall outcome.

Such an ending would be fine with me.

My analogy for what I believe the LIS ending will be has always been a long car trip.

Everyone is basically heading to the same destination, but each player will hit various different bumps on the read on the way there. They will pick up various items and people along the way, but they will all convene in the same place.

It will be great to see the ending play out with the people you dragged along with you, but having them there will not drastically affect the overall outcome.

Yeah this is how I think about most story based games, it's all about the journey for me.

Heimbeck

Banned

My prediction for the ending:

Max: You know Chloe, life really is strange.

Top Bottom