• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

TimFL

I'm so glad this game is over. I could not stand the cringeworthy "oh we besties", "awesome" dialog and decisions given to you (I literally cringed every time I had to interact with someone, so I stopped doing it after ep1 if it wasnt necessary to do so). If it werent for the awful dialogs this game could've been interesting to me. I couldn't care less how it ended because this game was instantly destroyed for me after the first episode, the dialog was just too much for me to enjoy the game or build a connection to any of the characters.

Doesn't help that the ending felt obviously rushed, my condolences to everyone who liked the game and had to sit through said ending(s). I heard that the devs were pushed to release the last episode as fast as possible?

I feel like there should be a new OT now that all episodes are out.

As someone who played through half the first episode and decided to wait it out for full release, how were the 5 eps as an ensemble?

I think they come together really well and I think this game works really well as separate episodes since it leaves you time to go through all the emotions of the previous episode. As a whole this is now my new favorite episodic game, even though I do feel at a times it's a bit rougher around the edges than The Walking Dead S1 or The Wolf Among Us. In the end Life is Strange was just more memorable for me and I've rarely cared as much about characters as I did Max and Chloe.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it won't have the characters we already know and love, but on the other hand DONTNOD will have a lot more experience under their belts to iron out the flaws present in Season 1, and they'll probably have a considerably higher budget as well. So I'm hyped for another season.

Oh yeah, completely, I'd rather them have a clean slate. But I do gotta admit, the Ohio setting, Twin Peaks references everywhere, the characters, and even the dialogue (I will forever love "hella" and "wowser") will be missed.

I remember when this was announced, I crossed my fingers that this would be good, I'm glad I was not wrong.

Warxard

Banned
I'm so glad this game is over. I could not stand the cringeworthy "oh we besties", "awesome" dialog and decisions given to you (I literally cringed every time I had to interact with someone, so I stopped doing it after ep1 if it wasnt necessary to do so). If it werent for the awful dialogs this game could've been interesting to me. I couldn't care less how it ended because this game was instantly destroyed for me after the first episode, the dialog was just too much for me to enjoy the game or build a connection to any of the characters.

Wow, that's kind of sad. But more power to you.

Doesn't help that the ending felt obviously rushed, my condolences to everyone who liked the game and had to sit through said ending(s). I heard that the devs were pushed to release the last episode as fast as possible?

Sorry you didn't like it. And yes the devs basically ran out of resources.

Manu

I'm very satisfied with the ending I got, thank you.

Steamlord

I should probably feel guilty or concerned that the word "wowser" occasionally pops up in my own internal monologue now, but I'm strangely OK with it.

Managed to avoid all spoilers for eps 5 so far, hyped!!

I'm actually pretty surprised to the overwhelmingly positive reception LiS got, definitely one of the better games this year.

Loved the series but didn't care for that final episode much, especially the conclusion. Posted my thoughts in the spoiler thread.

Disappointing end to what was a very nice surprise as an overall series.

Nuke Soda

A few days later and I still find this game and the choices I made popping into my head. If that isn't a sign that I liked it I don't know what is.

people like you make me feel so old inside

TheKeyPit

Banned
I've also finished Episode 3 and about that last part in that Episode(obvious spoilers):
God damn Chaos Theory. When the camera started so low in that shot I realised what I/Max had set in motion. I got the feels seeing Chloe like that and revealing a smile when seeing Max.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously hope people didn't jump into the season pass just because Gaffers praised the game. There's a demo, so if you didn't like something, you could've easily have skipped this one.

I seriously hope people didn't jump into the season pass just because Gaffers praised the game. There's a demo, so if you didn't like something, you could've easily have skipped this one.

I don't think the demo was substantial enough to really pass judgement on the game.

But yeah people definitely should have bought the 1st episode standalone to make sure they like it.

Demoskinos

Making that even more pointless in my opinion.

Edit: It's just there to remind the player he can rewind and choose differently, right?

That and to always constantly make you doubt every choice you make in the game. Which admittedly works better with some choices than others.

It's a very light rumor though, Dontnod will be there, and people were speculating why they'd be there if the last ep is already released. Could very well be to do publicity push for last episode, but who knows.

It would be kind of funny for them not to go, they are located in Paris I believe. I am just going with they are going to be doing one last marketing push for it there.

I agree with you to an extent. This game is badly written... the dialogue, the overarching story, general plot mechanics.. It all could have and should have been much better. But I was able to look past most of my issues because there's a lot of other stuff to appreciate. I'm glad I played through it.

Sendero

This truly was a game where either you enjoy the ride (and is truly then a fantastic game), or you get caught out in all the things the devs did wrong.

Having said that, I do thing Ep 5 was the weakest one by far. They should kept it short and sweet. For example,
they should have left more ambivalent what was causing all those crazy sequences (was that another time traveler? Or Mark, Nathan/The Presscots, Rachel Amber, etc) -instead of just hammering that it was just Max insecurities merging with the time crashing. Warren believing your story felt random. The flashlight maze walking was too long and horrendous.

There is no attempt to fool us into thinking the ending will be something else, rather than the obvious. And to make it worse, the
"save the civilians"
stage is too separated from the ending, which dilutes the sense of impending doom. There is simply no pressure that you have to make decision now or never.

The endings were.. ok. While the "right" choice is longer and detailed (and provides the best sense of closure), for some reason I was more moved by the short, very-obviously-"bad" one. I actually prefer it, even if Max would never pick that one.

Despite all of this, the whole game was an outstanding experience for me. And I did drop a tear
reminiscing all past moments
. Not sure if DotNot will be capable of reproduce the success of this one, but sure hope they (or someone else) try.

Clunker

Hey, quick question: I've been blind to this since the beginning but have waited for a good time to pick up something new. Very curious about playing this, and I'm trying to stay as spoiler-free as possible - any suggestions on platform for ps3 versus 360? I'd prefer ps3 ideally but either is fine by me.

Hey, quick question: I've been blind to this since the beginning but have waited for a good time to pick up something new. Very curious about playing this, and I'm trying to stay as spoiler-free as possible - any suggestions on platform for ps3 versus 360? I'd prefer ps3 ideally but either is fine by me.

can't comment on platforme (played on PS4) but please, please, if you could go blind, stay in the dark. avoid the spoiler thread, just dive in

Labrys

From what I can tell, the two last gen versions are very similar to each other, so you'd be fine going PS3 if you prefer that.

Have fun with it too, it's a really good experience.

Persona7

Banned

I think both platforms have a demo? That could be worth trying to see which version is better.

For example,
Warren believing your story felt random.

What are you talking about. You could have said ANYTHING and Warren would have played along just for a chance to escape the friendzone. That was like one of the major themes of the whole game.

And to make it worse, the
"save the civilians"
stage is too separated from the ending, which dilutes the sense of impending doom. There is simply no pressure that you have to make decision now or never.

But the whole
alternate realities
thing you criticized above meant that
your actions make sense in the reality you are currently in, so not saving those civilians and travelling back still meant that they would suffer a horrible terrible death in that reality
, right?

Glad that you enjoyed the game regardless :p

Clunker

Thanks for input - I'll probably do ps3 if no glaring tech issues. Now to ditch the thread before finding accidental spoilers! Thanks!

(Throws smoke bomb on the ground, vanishes)

Tactics18

Played through all of the episodes this weekend.
Overall I really enjoyed it, although there were definitely some major problems and weak points.

I'm sure they'll be addressed if a season 2 does happen, which I hope it will.

The soundtrack is amazing btw.

Paradicia

Just finished Feels™: The game.

Can someone please tell me if there have been any rumored plans for a season 2? They could make a whole movie based on this game. I never wanted it to end. The atmosphere of the game just sucks you in. It's my personal GOTY so far.

Can someone please tell me if there have been any rumored plans for a season 2? They could make a whole movie based on this game. I never wanted it to end. The atmosphere of the game just sucks you in. It's my personal GOTY so far.

I'm in the same boat. I want more. I need more. I just don't know how they would make a new season, with the same cast anyway.

tomtom94

Dontnod said in an interview that if they did a season two it would be with a different cast of characters (Though whether they'd have a choice, I don't know)

The way I looked at how the dialogue and story was delivered is that it was trying to make Life is Strange be more like the weird/bad/cheezy parts of movies and TV series geared towards teenagers. If they would have written the dialogue to be realistic I really feel it would lose most of its appeal.

If you can stomach through the weirdness of the 1st episode it does get much better in my opinion. Just try not to compare the in game fiction characters to the way actual people (specifically teens) view life and crazy shit happening.

If you are looking for an accurate portrayal of real life look else where. But if you can embrace the weird, Life is Strange tells one hell of a story.

The story itself improves drastically and gets much more interesting. The caliber of the dialog itself really doesn't change too much, but you have to kind of learn to play along with the goofy writing and laugh at it rather than taking it at face value and hating it.

The entire point of the game is that no matter what choices you make, it doesn't always ensure the "best" outcome. You also can't rely on your power at all time. Sometimes bad shit just happens.

I can't really speak to how you choose to interpret stickers on a laptop(?). If this is the basis of your prejudice against the game, maybe just skip it?

Well the dialogue didn't really bother me at all, since most of the characters are really sympathetic. And usually I don't really care for any teen style of things. Also in games I'm a lot more forgiving to bad dialogue than in movies. But the first episode is my least favorite and I'd even argue that each episode is an improvement over the previous, which is an rare achievement of its own. Of course that comes down to a personal preferences, but episodes 3,4 and 5 are the best overall.

Forgot to respond to these, but thank you for the insight. I'll definitely try and make it through and not take it so seriously. I'm playing Until Dawn atm and it has some cheesy dialogue but it kind of fits with the tone of the sort of story it is portraying, so Life is Strange is probably similar in a way. Thanks!

Sendero

What are you talking about. You could have said ANYTHING and Warren would have played along just for a chance to escape the friendzone. That was like one of the major themes of the whole game.
But the whole <snip>...right?
Nah. Sure,
Warren is an unconditional/love struck puppy, but he is never that irrational.
It really felt like some bits of his storyline were removed and we just got the final part.

And for the 2nd point, I was talking from a game perspective. I felt it affected the pacing from a storytelling perspective and reduced the tension.

The game as a whole is still amazeballs.

CHC

I literally just said that this morning as i finished Episode 3.

I was filled with horror! THE HORROR!

I'm in the exact same place too. Episode 3 was amazing, my favorite so far. Really excited to see where they're going from here.

brau

I'm in the exact same place too. Episode 3 was amazing, my favorite so far. Really excited to see where they're going from here.

It really was. It was very different, and i really enjoy that so far. No episode is like the previous at all. Its awesome. Starting Episode 4.... excited to see the consequences of Episode 3.

Kinda skeptic about Episode 5, from what i have perceived in its reception. Still... its been a great game so far. Better than any TT game so far, and prettier.

EDIT: on another note. I find the license plates on cars to be amusing.

The finale was suitable and fitting, but it didn't give you enough control and jumped around a bit much. It wasn't my favourite episode.

Overall, it was fine and solid though.

I still need to go back and find 3/5 of the picture opps in the nightmare sequence, though, and then I'll have 100% sans guide.

It's been a week since I finished the final and I still find myself thinking about the game daily. Very few games have had such a lasting impression on me. Such a powerful game.

Top Bottom