• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Demoskinos

It's been a week since I finished the final and I still find myself thinking about the game daily. Very few games have had such a lasting impression on me. Such a powerful game.

Heh Its been awhile for me now as well and still thinking about
finding Rachel or Seeing Chloe in the wheelchair
still choke me up just thinking about it.

Heh Its been awhile for me now as well and still thinking about
finding Rachel or Seeing Chloe in the wheelchair
still choke me up just thinking about it.
How about thinking that
the version of Chloe in the save Arcadia Bay ending dies alone and scared in some restroom without getting closure on Rachel's disappearance, without making peace with her step-father and without ever seeing her best friend again after years of separation. Yes, all those things happened in another timeline and Max will remember them, but that Chloe dies a miserable death. And Max has to listen through it all, to boot
. That's the thought that destroys me.

Demoskinos

How about thinking that
the version of Chloe in the save Arcadia Bay ending dies alone and scared in some restroom without getting closure on Rachel's disappearance, without making peace with her step-father and without ever seeing her best friend again after years of separation. Yes, all those things happened in another timeline and Max will remember them, but that Chloe dies a miserable death. And Max has to listen through it all, to boot
. That's the thought that destroys me.

I think the wheelchair reveal is what gets me the most simply because Max had agency in making that choice. Which to me elevates that because its not just dealing with what the universe throws at you that is out of your control. You caused it.

SomTervo

I kind of hated the indicators in the upper left hand corner showing up all the time, particularly the butterfly. I'd rather rely on my own intuition for things like that and would have turned it off if the game let me.

Yeah, I really hated this, too.

IIRC The Walking Dead is also the only Telltale game that lets you turn off such indicators, and it is a 100x better experience without them. It makes the whole process really organic and fluid, rather than quantifying your decisions.

Demoskinos

Yeah, I really hated this, too.

IIRC The Walking Dead is also the only Telltale game that lets you turn off such indicators, and it is a 100x better experience without them. It makes the whole process really organic and fluid, rather than quantifying your decisions.

See in this game I like that. Cause really part of the game is the game constantly fucking with you. "Oh shit did you make that choice well...you COULD rewind..." then you rewind and Max's inner monologue is still doubtful I think its done for that reason to constantly make you doubt every choice you make. Which I think plays in well to a game with time manipulation.

SomTervo

See in this game I like that. Cause really part of the game is the game constantly fucking with you. "Oh shit did you make that choice well...you COULD rewind..." then you rewind and Max's inner monologue is still doubtful I think its done for that reason to constantly make you doubt every choice you make. Which I think plays in well to a game with time manipulation.

It's definitely easier to excuse in LiS. LiS does a great job of making a game out of your choices and dialogue, so you can rewind and mess with them.

However, I frequently rewound and did other stuff even without the little notification reminding me to do so. I think it would be more organic without. At least give us the option!

(It was still way better in LiS than in any of the TT games.)

Spoilers

The Endings are a bit underwhelming.
At the end, it all boils down to the last choice, either you stick with the already messed up timeline with Chloe or you go back to the timeline, in which Max and Chloe haven't been reunited.
All the choices you've made before don't affect the ending

Will keep an eye on the next game from Dontnod.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Thanks to "Maczime" at reddit

Okay, first: Context.

This tweet from DONTNOD about Oskar Guilbert (CEO) being interviewed on a french business channel (BFM Business). Being French + having a TV = Well, I watched this. While I'm writing, the itw is over.

3 to 4 big news :

Sales : Very well (no new number beside the >1.000.000 copies sold this summer). Both DONTNOD AND Square-Enix are extremely happy with the sales
DONTNOD and Square-Enix are thinking of a iOS/Android version of Life is Strange

Global budget / cost of Life is Strange: 5 to 6 millions euros (approx. 4,5 - 5,4 millions dollars)

Also talks the possibility of LiS on iOS/Android, a physical copy of Life is Strange and soundtrack.

Good news. :)

Forgot to respond to these, but thank you for the insight. I'll definitely try and make it through and not take it so seriously. I'm playing Until Dawn atm and it has some cheesy dialogue but it kind of fits with the tone of the sort of story it is portraying, so Life is Strange is probably similar in a way. Thanks!

That's good to hear, you should definitely give Life is Strange a chance if you're liking Until Dawn. I loved Until Dawn as well and played it through twice, such a fun game and among my favorites of year. I think Until Dawn was more about atmosphere and mystery whereas Life is Strange is more about the characters and relationships.

Demoskinos

Thanks to "Maczime" at reddit

Also talks the possibility of LiS on iOS/Android, a physical copy of Life is Strange and soundtrack.

Good news. :)

Very glad to hear this. This game REALLY deserves every bit of praise it gets. I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up by a lot of major media outlets. I see and hear a lot of YouTubers and fan communities talking about it but haven't seen any of the big outlets giving it any real coverage. Not that it really needs it. The worth of mouth seems to be doing just fine for its sales.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Spoilers

The Endings are a bit underwhelming.
At the end, it all boils down to the last choice, either you stick with the already messed up timeline with Chloe or you go back to the timeline, in which Max and Chloe haven't been reunited.
All the choices you've made before don't affect the ending

Will keep an eye on the next game from Dontnod.

I've just finished Episode 5 and
that's not true. At least Kate, Frank and his dog are bound to the choices from what I know.

Edit: Forget about Frank and his dog. He couldn't be in danger, because Max never meeting him. Too much timelines.

I enjoyed the ride and want more from this game NOW :(

wouwie

Just finished the last episode... ouch. Life is strange peaked towards the end of episode 3 (at that point it was a strong GOTY candidate) but went downhill from the 2nd half of episode 4 right until the very end of episode 5. I didn't enjoy episode 5 one bit and was glad when it was over. I didn't collect any photos, never looked at my files, skipped dialogue options (which i'd never had done before) and rushed to the end.

I didn't like how the story unfolded in epsiode 5 and the poor dialogue, over the top melodrama and voice acting was bad. If you would write down the script and read it, you would see that at least 50% of the dialogue in ep4 and 5 was people feeling sorry for themselves and other people telling them they shouldn't because they are so great (the word hero kept popping up time and time again). Also, the voice of Max turned into an always almost crying whiny voice. And was there need for so many swear words in episode 5?

Don't get me wrong. Life is Strange is a memorable game. There's a lot of positive things to say about the game. The visual style, art direction and music choice for example were outstanding. The gameplay was fun and offered more than the typical Telltale game and the value for money was great. In fact, i'd say that i only had issue with the dialogue and with the story towards the end. If Dontnod can improve these aspects in another game like this, it might end up as a real GOTY indeed. As it is now, it could have been if episode 5 hadn't existed.

Real Hero

Just finished the game and wow. I even came around on the writing by the end after initially being put off by it. I think it gave the game a sense of identity, hopefully season 2 is a different cast and characters because I don't want them to get tied down to the same world

Demoskinos

Life is Strange wins 2 out of the 5 awards they are nominated for at the Ping Awards this evening. "Best Story" and "Grand Jury Prize" for those wondering the Ping awards are a French based Awards show held during Paris Games Week.

The LiS twitter tweeted this out a few hours ago:

https://twitter.com/DONTNOD_Ent/status/659841503687221250

Life is Strange won 2 awards tonight! "Grand Jury Prize" and "Best Story"! #PingAwards2015 #LIS #LifeIsStrange

CSg6V_XWcAEVPb_.jpg

jakomocha

Well Gaf, about to (finally) start Life is Strange Episode 5 now that I have the time to play it uninterrupted. Wish me luck!

The game is definitely my GOTY so far, and possibly even my favorite game of all time. I really hope Episode 5 won't change that...

Well Gaf, about to (finally) start Life is Strange Episode 5 now that I have the time to play it uninterrupted. Wish me luck!

The game is definitely my GOTY so far, and possibly even my favorite game of all time. I really hope Episode 5 won't change that...

Report back in when you're done to let us know you're okay. I'm still not over it.

jakomocha

Crap! (sorry for double post).
I'm on the last choice of Episode 5.
I've let it set there for like 5 minutes. I don't know what to choose: Sacrifice Chloe or Arcadia Bay. I know Chloe is the "morally right choice", but I can't let her die... not again :(. At the same time though, I feel that picking Arcadia Bay will lead to everyone there dying, including Warren, Joyce, Kate, etc.

Ugh I can't make my mind up. I think I'm gonna go with Arcadia Bay, but that feels so... evil.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm also LTTP to this amazing game. Finished up till Episode 4 last night, and will most definitely finish the last one tomorrow (have to go to work today :( )

Here are my brief impressions.

For full disclosure i'm playing the PS3 version with the latest update, as in remember that video with the shitty ass clock texture in comparison to the PS4 ? It's not that bad thankfully :p But there is a butt load of screen tearing.

- The opening was like an adventure game version of Alan Wake, starting in a dark night and heading to the light house where you 'die' to wake up.

- The game doesn't waste any time establishing archetypes.

- I really love the use of music in the game. I've been humming the "To all of you American girls" song since I heard it in the game, first time I heard this song and its incredibly catchy.

- Story beats are good, game is paced well but I hoped there would be a button to 'skip' individual lines of dialogue (and no i don't mean like the >> for when you're repeating an event either, just in general something to help pace along quicker.

- Chloe is pretty awesome and David is such a dick.

Now for some EP 1-4 spoilers in general.

- I'm so glad I was able to save Kate, not sure how I would have continued the game if I had let her jump :( She's so innocent.

- I knew from the first second that shifty teacher was no good, he's the typical 'DUH OBVIOUSLY IT'S THAT GUY' dude.

- Seeing Chloe in the wheelchair was a pretty 'gasp' moment for me. I'm glad Max fixed that, too bad for William :( He seemed like a great father, especially in comparison to Stepdouche, but still, Chloe is Chloe.

- Poor Ratchel. The digging up her corpse scene was pretty strong. Chloe's VA is great.

- As of the end of 4th episode, there's no conclusive speculation to what the natural phenomenon's are, I hope the game at least takes a stab at covering them instead of just wrapping up the Max/Chloe/Rachel story.

Ambitious

Episode 4
Is it possible to undo damaging the door to Nathan's room by rewinding inside? I totally forgot to try that. He noticed and just sent me a threat. Not good.

Guri

Episode 4
Is it possible to undo damaging the door to Nathan's room by rewinding inside? I totally forgot to try that. He noticed and just sent me a threat. Not good.

Don't worry. Not really relevant to the rest of the story.

Just finished Episode 2

I'm in pieces right now. Everything was going great and she seemed ready to come down, but Max had to go and bust out the wrong bible verse. I should've looked them up on my phone since I remembered the words of each, but got too caught up in the heat of the moment.

Apparently I'm a scumbag player anyways. 66% saved her, a majority of people stood up to Mansen, and like 80% of people blamed Nathan afterwards. I'm trying to be stealthy and good trying to take down the Prescotts and keeping my rewind stuff hush-hush, but after what just happened I'm not so sure. Effffffffff!

Just finished Episode 2

I'm in pieces right now. Everything was going great and she seemed ready to come down, but Max had to go and bust out the wrong bible verse. I should've looked them up on my phone since I remembered the words of each, but got too caught up in the heat of the moment.

Apparently I'm a scumbag player anyways. 66% saved her, a majority of people stood up to Mansen, and like 80% of people blamed Nathan afterwards. I'm trying to be stealthy and good trying to take down the Prescotts and keeping my rewind stuff hush-hush, but after what just happened I'm not so sure. Effffffffff!

I saved Kate first time, thankfully, and I don't think I can bring myself to not do so in another playthrough. I refuse to fail!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Episode 2

most of the 66% of players fucking cheated.

cheaters.

Ambitious

The end of episode 4 really pissed me off.

They have proof that Nathan drugged, kidnapped and even killed people. But instead of going take some pictures of the bunker and Rachel's corpse and going to the police, they decide to search for Nathan at the party and.. and what? Kill him? Like, what the hell? That's dumb as shit.
I'm probably supposed to be blown away by the reveal just before the credits, but instead I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at the sheer stupidity of Max and Chloe's actions.

Nuke Soda

They have proof that Nathan drugged, kidnapped and even killed people. But instead of going take some pictures of the bunker and Rachel's corpse and going to the police, they decide to search for Nathan at the party and.. and what? Kill him? Like, what the hell? That's dumb as shit.
I'm probably supposed to be blown away by the reveal just before the credits, but instead I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at the sheer stupidity of Max and Chloe's actions.

In all fairness you had way too much expectation of their intelligence.
;)

Demoskinos

Well that is Chloe for you. She is a bit of a hot head. I think one of the dialog options at one point is suggesting to her to go to the cops. Chloe was never going to calm down.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They made it pretty obvious that the police were under the payroll of the Prescotts.

Combine that with Chloe's impulsiveness...

Ambitious

In all fairness you had way too much expectation of their intelligence.
;)

I mean, they should at least have told it to someone. Anyone. Of all the possible options, outright killing Nathan is absolutely the worst choice. At a school party, no less. Was Chloe going to waltz in there and shoot him in the midst of a few dozen bystanders?

By the way, I have another question about the episode 4 ending:
There's this one Let's Player whose videos I watch from time to time. When Jefferson appeared in the end, he was like "Holy shit! It's him! I called it!". I'd rather not watch his whole playthrough just to find the one moment he talked about his theories, so I'm asking here: Why might he have suspected Jefferson? What kind of clues are there hinting at Jefferson's involvement? I literally didn't notice anything at all, so that was a complete surprise for me.

I mean, they should at least have told it to someone. Anyone. Of all the possible options, outright killing Nathan is absolutely the worst choice. At a school party, no less. Was Chloe going to waltz in there and shoot him in the midst of a few dozen bystanders?

By the way, I have another question about the episode 4 ending:
There's this one Let's Player whose videos I watch from time to time. When Jefferson appeared in the end, he was like "Holy shit! It's him! I called it!". I'd rather not watch his whole playthrough just to find the one moment he talked about his theories, so I'm asking here: Why might he have suspected Jefferson? What kind of clues are there hinting at Jefferson's involvement? I literally didn't notice anything at all, so that was a complete surprise for me.

Some of his photography that is around the campus looks very similar to the ones you find in the dark room. At least that's the only thing I can come up with

Top Bottom