• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Grisby

So I've sat down a bit more and clearly thought out my final impressions with DONTNOD's first stab at the episodic adventure game genre. Life is Strange is a wonderful experience, filled with lots of details and emotional character moments.

The thing that first struck me about the game, in episode one, was how much time you had to roam about the areas and who you could interact with. Compared to TellTale's games which, I feel, have almost completely left their adventure game roots, I thoroughly enjoyed this side of LIS. There are a lot of clickable objects, and Max is ready to talk about all of them.

LIS's key feature is it's rewind mechanic and it's used to some pretty great effect. Sure, you have a few puzzles that are solved in the same way, but there are some neat moments that stand out such as rewinding
so you're back in the principals office before the alarm set off or telling Chloe shit goes bad before meeting Frank in episode 4.

I would have liked more dialogue choices as those kind of slipped away as the episodes went on.

Musically, the main theme was very well done, and the closing music choices were also picked with a good eye, or ear, so to speak. Graphically, the game isn't pushing polygons to the max, but the art style and amount of detail that went into the environments was splendid. I especially liked the faux internet pages, camera shots, such as Max wearing her
hotdog t-shirt in
Episode 4. There is a lot of color at use here, and it's a brighter game, even when it's trying to be dark.

Unfortunately, the lip syncing never quit found it's footing, and the plastic looking faces of the characters could sometimes get in the way of bigger moments. Faces need some more animation too, for sure.

The writing was weak at points, but of course, I'm not around younger kids that much these days so I may be out of the loop. However, Max, and her "Wowzers" grew on me though, as did most of the games other cast. Chloe had a nice arc, in which she pissed me off in
episode 2-3, but managed to bring it back around in 4 (her apology when you go visit Kate was a nice moment)
. Both the main VA's did a good job, and the only weak link would have to be David Madison, mostly because he was a bit too gruff and unintentionally comedic.

This game has the pleasure of making me play through the hardest 30 or so minutes that I've ever had to experience in a game before.
Chloe's whole wheelchair segment was well done, and although the life/die choice felt a bit too dramatic a bit too soon,
I still felt like shit.

Unfortunately, I feel like DN backed themselves into a corner with episode 5, and upon reflection, I didn't really like the ending. In fact, the more I thought about it the more pissed I got.
One ending seems like the one the devs wanted you to pick, and by proxy, it kind of makes a lot of your previous choices feel like they have less of an impact. The other ending feels under cooked and almost like it was thrown together in a night of programming or so.

Both of them seemed kind of weak actually.
It's the Mass Effect 3 feeling I had, where I will still look back very fondly on the journey, but there will always be that bit of a grimy sand tasting end.

I fully admit that some of these disappointments come from expectations. I thought it would have been neat if there
would have been some stronger elements of mysticism, but in the end the main issue was more of a crime drama.

Overall, I was sad that it ended, and I have been thinking about it a lot since finishing. This is pretty much the first game where I have watched Let's Play's on, and it's been really cool seeing the different emotions of people on camera. From a psychological point of view, it's even more interesting with some of the latter choices that you can make.

Congratulations to the team, and the voice actors fro creating something wholly new, dark, funny, and memorable. I knew this team had talent with Remember Me, and they really proved it here, with something that you can't quite find in other games today. It's that melancholic feeling of wanting to return to your youth, to say goodbye to old friends one last time, and have a chance to make things different. When a game makes me feel all of that, well, what can you do except smile, take a hella shitty selfie, and wait for season 2.

Cerium

I have a technical question playing it on PS3. The dialogue audio (never the music) stutters fairly frequently and it's kind of ruining things. I suspect it's a hardware problem since this is a launch PS3 and it's getting on in years, but has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there a solution? This has never happened to me before.

tomtom94

So bumping this thread because I read the TVTropes YMMV page. I knew that the endings would be under "Broken Base" but I'm very surprised that one of my favourite parts of the last episode -
specifically, the nightmare sequence
- is also apparently hated by large parts of the fanbase?

I get that it drags on a little bit too long but I think that makes sense. It has to break you down all the way and then show you slowly how to get back up. Then
whichever ending you choose
has all the more punch because of everything you've just been shown.

Anybody else?

So bumping this thread because I read the TVTropes YMMV page. I knew that the endings would be under "Broken Base" but I'm very surprised that one of my favourite parts of the last episode -
specifically, the nightmare sequence
- is also apparently hated by large parts of the fanbase?

I get that it drags on a little bit too long but I think that makes sense. It has to break you down all the way and then show you slowly how to get back up. Then
whichever ending you choose
has all the more punch because of everything you've just been shown.

Anybody else?

I adored that sequence, and like you, was surprised so many people seemed to dislike it. But then, I'm a sucker for games
that suddenly pull the rug out from under me and go full-pelt with the mindfucks

spinz

i loved it too, especially
the snow globe part.
It very much solidified david lynch as an influence (it already had a strong twin peaks vibe).
I do understand though if what people didn't like about it were the stealth parts. That got old quick.

Sande

I don't think the
stealth section
really worked out. I get the point of it, but it just felt more like an annoyance than anything else so close to the end. They could have also cut down on the
memory scenes
for pacing purposes.

CCS

Banned
Okay, just finished playing through the game after tomtom nagged me into playing it, pain in the neck that he is :p

Immediate thoughts (spoilers all episodes!)

It's an interesting game certainly. I like some of the things it does, and there certainly wasn't anything about it that I really disliked. Certain sections (like the stealth in the nightmare) went on too long, the game bugged out and I had to restart quite a few times in dialogue trees, and sometimes I felt the dialogue options were too restrictive, but overall I enjoyed the characters and the story, and I'm glad I played it. Not sure I'll replay it again mind.

I don't mind the ending, I quite like the theme of being able to change destiny but for a commensurate price. The downside was that the commenting the game wanted to make on fate/destiny and manipulating it, for example in the nightmare, kind of made it obvious what was going to happen. Still a good enough ending that I don't feel it let the game down,

Finally, I had a really really weird freaking moment in the last episode, related to the fact I've played Undertale recently. UNDERTALE SPOILERS AND LAST EPISODE SPOILERS BELOW

When you're in San Francisco and you go into the gallery with all the winning entries, for some reason I had an immediate image of all the characters turning to face you and they all have Flowey (from Undertale's) face and Mr. Jefferson's smile and they surround you and walk towards you and devour you. Mental image didn't go away for ages and it freaked me the fuck out. So that was... strange.

tomtom94

Okay, just finished playing through the game after tomtom nagged me into playing it, pain in the neck that he is :p

I'd like to point out that I'm good enough that I even told you it would probably be on sale at Christmas and you still caved :p

I suppose I could comment - I witnessed most of CCS's playthrough (he did a couple of bits without me, including the end, but we mostly binged it with me working while he was playing) and it's certainly a novel experience, possibly the best way to see some of the things that didn't come up in my game. Still not quite sure what my reaction is to discovering (ep5)
warning Victoria is the wrong choice
although I maintain his biggest error was
KISSING WARREN THE FUCK

Aaron D.

spinz

aww damn. I think i have a game-hangover after playing through this game... i dont want to play anything else and i just want to play this for the first time again :p

I see it on Amazon but only for console. Guess I'll wait a bit and see if a PC version goes up.

edit: in the other thread they're saying no PC version for NA... lol wtf

I just finished whole season.
OMFG
At first i thought that it will be boring game, made for fans of Beverly Hills 90210 and/or teenage girls.
First Episode was barely "meh". I almost give up but then i said "fuck it, let's see what they did with second episode". Damn, things startet to get interesting but then happened:
Episode 3 aka BOOM!
Episode 4 aka WHAT THE FUCK!
Episode 5 aka I'm 38 years old and i'm crying like a teenager.

Wow. I didn't expect (even when i heard so many great things about LiS) it to be this GODLIKE!
Fantastic, extraordinary game. Strong GOTY contender.

Just finished episode 5. What a game. It's got an overall beauty to it with the music and characters and art that very very few games manage. I put it right up there with Journey in that regard. Not just one of my favorite games of the year, but of all time.

I saved Chloe the first time then went for the other ending. Both were fantastic.

Demoskinos

I just finished whole season.
OMFG
At first i thought that it will be boring game, made for fans of Beverly Hills 90210 and/or teenage girls.
First Episode was barely "meh". I almost give up but then i said "fuck it, let's see what they did with second episode". Damn, things startet to get interesting but then happened:
Episode 3 aka BOOM!
Episode 4 aka WHAT THE FUCK!
Episode 5 aka I'm 38 years old and i'm crying like a teenager.

Wow. I didn't expect (even when i heard so many great things about LiS) it to be this GODLIKE!
Fantastic, extraordinary game. Strong GOTY contender.

Right? I bought the first episode on a whim because it was $5 and I was bored one night. I was like oh this is sort of like Garden State meets Mean girls thats sort of cool I guess. Then I started playing the other episodes and its like oh.. wait oh man this goes waaaaay deeper.

Just thought I'd chime in having finished it yesterday.

I bought a steam pad and thought I'd finally get round to playing the game having started it and dropped it.

I think it's quite incredible.

Its willingness to be frank and look at loss head on asking difficult questions was just breathtaking.

The final episode was probably one of the best sequences I've played in gaming.

Roussow

I haven't pre-ordered a game since 2012, I think I'm going to make the exception for this Limited Edition. I mean, I already own and have played the game, so from a principles perspective I think i'm justified on this one.

Just thought I'd chime in having finished it yesterday.

I bought a steam pad and thought I'd finally get round to playing the game having started it and dropped it.

I think it's quite incredible.

Its willingness to be frank and look at loss head on asking difficult questions was just breathtaking.

The final episode was probably one of the best sequences I've played in gaming.

Making me want to get to the final episode. I am about half way finished into episode 4 could I finish the game tonight?

Life is Strange getting some recognition for the Game Awards. Nominated for best narrative, best performance (Ashly Burch as Chloe Price) and 'games for change'.

Making me want to get to the final episode. I am about half way finished into episode 4 could I finish the game tonight?

You still have a couple of hours left (~3-5 depending on how thorough you are). Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing all that in one go, I enjoy these games the most if I don't rush through them. Give yourself some time to take in the choices and their consequences.

I will say that from a certain point in episode 5, I recommend finishing what's remaining in one sitting. So either stop there and come back later, or buckle up and finish the fight. Spoiler-free recognition point:
when Chloe calls you

Reedirect

Not to take anything away from Ashly Burch but it sucks Hannah Telle isn't getting some recognition too. They were both really great.

This. Not that Telle is downright better, Burch is fantastic too, but I'm more familiar with her voice from other games, so I wasn't surprised she nailed it. Telle is a revelation for me.

Okay just finished episode 5. Strong ending even if the chapter ran a little with some trippy stuff.

I was very surprised to see the world percent split on the choice between Chloe or Arcadia Bay. I guess the game relies a lot of the player liking Chloe's character, but I never really connected with her. I despised her early on and felt more indifferent about her towards the end. There are times I would just roll my eyes with some of her dialogue. It was an easy choice for me and removes so much of the gut punch that I think they were going for.

Yes the ending choice was really easy even if I liked Chloe character, One life versus thousands was a no brainier for me. i am guessing season 2 will get completely new characters.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Not to take anything away from Ashly Burch but it sucks Hannah Telle isn't getting some recognition too. They were both really great.

I agree, I suppose they just went with the most recognizable actress between the two of them, since they probably can't have 2 people from the same game.

Concerning the ending to 5.

So a huge choice, Chloe or Arcadia Bay. I just stared at the screen It came down to two things. First, I imagined my best friend in real life and that would be my wife. I then imagined the choice was her and it was so easy to pick my best friend/wife. I would watch the world burn as long as my wife was safe by my side. Second, the whole game was saving Chloe, if I saved the Bay, I feel it would negate the whole game that I just played. The whole game was about choices and consequences, my very first choice in this game was saving her, my consequence should be living with that choice.

Not even gonna watch the other scene.

Echoing posts about Hannah Telle deserving more love. Her performance played a huge part in cementing Max's soft yet fierce personality in my mind. It also takes talent to make lines like "wowser" and "are you cereal" endearing and convincing. :p

Top Bottom