• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Echoing posts about Hannah Telle deserving more love. Her performance played a huge part in cementing Max's soft yet fierce personality in my mind. It also takes talent to make lines like "wowser" and "are you cereal" endearing and convincing. :p

yes yes yes

there's so much weird dialogue that just works because Hannah Telle manages to sell every line

Jachaos

Just finished ep 2.

So uhh, is kate marsh important? Should I retry this episode?

Dialogue will reference the result, the ending montage of that episode changes and you'll miss out on a part in a later episode where you'd go visit her at the hospital (it's a 3D environment, you can walk around the room and interact with stuff and all) - instead it just won't happen and you'll skip to the part after that. I'd say just continue with your result and maybe you can check out the changes once you're done.

Need tech support GAF help. Love the game so far but hit a huge problem.

Playing through a good chunk of episode 2 this morning. I fired it up this afternoon but I don't see the option to continue, just three blank "Create New Save Slots". I see the Save file in the Documents/My Games/Life is Strange/Saves folder, but it refuses to appear in game.

STEAM for whatever reason had my re-log in this AM, could that be it? I tried Offline mode with no success. Restarted my PC, still no luck. Any recommendations? I could grind out the first chapter or mess around with a save editor to recreate my progress, but would much prefer to recover my game if possible.

Ricker

Still staring at the screen. Oh, god. I mean, I'm gonna watch the consequences of the other option on YouTube anyway, but still. It's tough.

You can easily watch it with the game also,after the credits roll,you can choose chapters from each episode,its not a long section before the choice...but yeah,go with your gut man ;)

This. Not that Telle is downright better, Burch is fantastic too, but I'm more familiar with her voice from other games, so I wasn't surprised she nailed it. Telle is a revelation for me.

I'm very familiar with burch voice and honestly I never kne before episode 5 it was her so it makes me appreciate her work even harder because she could voice a character without me figuring it was her and that is what acting is all about

Concerning the ending to 5.

So a huge choice, Chloe or Arcadia Bay. I just stared at the screen It came down to two things. First, I imagined my best friend in real life and that would be my wife. I then imagined the choice was her and it was so easy to pick my best friend/wife. I would watch the world burn as long as my wife was safe by my side. Second, the whole game was saving Chloe, if I saved the Bay, I feel it would negate the whole game that I just played. The whole game was about choices and consequences, my very first choice in this game was saving her, my consequence should be living with that choice.

Not even gonna watch the other scene.

Haha really?
I know its your choice and everything but that is extremely selfish man, Chloe understands that she has to die and begs you not to let her mom and step father die (not to mention thousand other innocent people). Anyway the ending where Chloe dies seems to be canon aka real ending.

adz2ka

So it's 1.46am here and I've just finished episode 4.

Wow.

So do I plough through tiredness and play episode 5 before I go to bed?

adz2ka

Just finished episode 5. Easy decision at the end and you could call it from a mile off.
I don't even need to put spoilers on the decision I made...

Cerium

For me, the decision was easy.
Fuck Arcadia Bay.

That said, I feel the ending you get from that choice is unsatisfying for reasons people have expounded upon endlessly already. The other ending, the wrong ending, is perfectly executed and completely devastating. It provides real closure. It's beautiful and heartbreaking. So there is that.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The unsatisfying ending has some great fan-fiction though, people posted a couple of links in the spoiler thread and made me appreciate that ending more.

Humdinger

Good to see it get some recognition at the Game Awards. Hopefully, it'll win one of those, although I kinda doubt it will. "It's an honor to be nominated," though.

Agree about Hannah Telle as well. I liked her work a lot. Really made Max come alive for me.

Cerium

The unsatisfying ending has some great fan-fiction though, people posted a couple of links in the spoiler thread and made me appreciate that ending more.
I have folders of bookmarks to sort out continuations from both endings, the hypothetical perfect ending, and an ending where Max dies. All post-game fan fics I've come across fall into one of those four categories.

There are some real standouts, but on the whole they're mostly pretty good.

So I just bought the game knowing nothing save for what can be seen on the demo, played for an hour until bedtime, decided to do a google search for an image to post in my feed...

And suddenly I got spoilered on what seem like major plot points on the characters.

Is there anything that can be saved and make it still worthwhile playing? Now I feel like I have wasted 20€ and it's impossible to enjoy anything unless you do a complete internet blackout while playing something.

So I just bought the game knowing nothing save for what can be seen on the demo, played for an hour until bedtime, decided to do a google search for an image to post in my feed...

And suddenly I got spoilered on what seem like major plot points on the characters.

Is there anything that can be saved and make it still worthwhile playing? Now I feel like I have wasted 20€ and it's impossible to enjoy anything unless you do a complete internet blackout while playing something.

The game is largely about Max and Chloe's relationship. Even though big revelations can be spoiled (especially if you saw what I think you saw), none of it takes away from the core relationship between the two.

The game is largely about Max and Chloe's relationship. Even though big revelations can be spoiled (especially if you saw what I think you saw), none of it takes away from the core relationship between the two.

Pretty much I saw how that relationship will go, so I'd say pretty much "Ruined Forever" now. Like every non game news website has to spoil everything (and I just got a second even worse spoiler while closing the page) for a few clicks. I never saw anything spoilered on Destructoid, Kotaku... Now surprise. I can't enjoy things like this. Guess I will delete it as soon as I arrive home.

Cerium

Pretty much I saw how that relationship will go, so I'd say pretty much "Ruined Forever" now. Like every non game news website has to spoiled everything. I never saw anything spoiler on Destructoid, Engadget... Now surprise. I can't enjoy things like this. Guess I will delete it as soon as I arrive home.

Don't give up. Did you see them
kiss
? If that's all it was then you should absolutely keep going. It's about the journey, not the end. People saw that coming from a mile off; it's not supposed to be some huge twist.

Even though I was thinking "this should happen if the developers would not always play it safe to not offend moral guardians", I don't take kindly to being told even the smallest detail.

Wishing I could get a refund now (PS4, so no steam miracles here), I have zero interest in playing this now. Or even videogames in general, as something like this has happened every time I tried to play something with a decent story / plotline

Persona7

Banned
Even though I was thinking "this should happen if the developers would not always play it safe to not offend moral guardians", I don't take kindly to being told even the smallest detail.

Wishing I could get a refund now (PS4, so no steam miracles here), I have zero interest in playing this now. Or even videogames in general, as something like this has happened every time I tried to play something with a decent story / plotline

You can probably get a one time refund if you call Sony customer support and explain it to them.

Cerium

You should be aware that that outcome is determinant; the player decides if Max is
gay, straight, or bi
. It sounds like you're overreacting rather dramatically and might miss out on an incredible experience because of it. I think that would be a shame.

I promise you, play it anyway. The relationships are not fixed in certain ways, and the ambience and incidental moments and the atmosphere add so much to it all.

Dude, you shape the story with your decisions. Anything you saw online may or may not happen, or it may happen in a different way than you expect. It's all up to you.

The only real spoilers I can think of pertain to the mystery surrounding a certain character's disappearance.

Just wanted to pop in here and mention I completed my first playthrough of all 5 episodes this weekend and it was a terrific and powerfully emotional experience for me.

Im glad Dontnod was able to accompany their outstanding atmosphere design that they displayed in Remember Me with an equally impressive story and gameplay.

LiS is one of my favorites so far this gen. I hope this bump convinces at least one other person to give it a shot.

openrob

Hey everyone.

Just completed Episode 1 a couple of days ago, so am trying to avoid all spoilers! Great game, really fun and am playing though woth my wife. I only heard about it with the announcement of episode 5.

Anyway, planning to purchase ep 2-5, but do they install seperately?
Don't fancy having wait to download all of them to play the next episode haha

tomtom94

Hey everyone.

Just completed Episode 1 a couple of days ago, so am trying to avoid all spoilers! Great game, really fun and am playing though woth my wife. I only heard about it with the announcement of episode 5.

Pretty sure they install all at once by default, sorry (although I think you might be able to toggle that in the Steam Client?)

Montresor

Hey everyone.

If you are on Steam the post above mine should help. If you are on XB1 then each episode has to be installed individually. So if you wish, you can install episode 2 only. Or install episode 2 first, and queue the other episodes one by one.

If you have all the remaining episodes queued, depending on what order you started the downloads, something other than episode 2 might be the active download. If that's the case, just choose Episode 2 in My Games & Apps, click Start and then choose Download Now.

openrob

If you are on Steam the post above mine should help. If you are on XB1 then each episode has to be installed individually. So if you wish, you can install episode 2 only. Or install episode 2 first, and queue the other episodes one by one.

If you have all the remaining episodes queued, depending on what order you started the downloads, something other than episode 2 might be the active download. If that's the case, just choose Episode 2 in My Games & Apps, click Start and then choose Download Now.

Thanks yeah, should have specified, using Steam lol!

Thanks, was more thinking if it considered 2-5 as a single 'game', but your post clears it up for me :)

Lima

Completed Episode 1 yesterday. My god how good is the music please? All the artists I love listening to getting exposure in this game. Some really fine choices.

But Final Fantasy: Spirits Within one of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made? Damn I like you girl but nah.

Guri

Looking through Google Image Search now (and it can vary by each user) and scrolling down a lot, I saw only two revelations, but none of them enough to spoil your experience as a player, especially one of them. I won't tell you the reasons, but neither take away anything from your experience.

Guri

Haha really?
I know its your choice and everything but that is extremely selfish man, Chloe understands that she has to die and begs you not to let her mom and step father die (not to mention thousand other innocent people). Anyway the ending where Chloe dies seems to be canon aka real ending.

By the way, just clearing this up, there's
no canon or real ending. Since this is the end of this story (any sequel will feature different characters), the developers wanted players to choose their own endings. I actually agree with his choice, but not only because of his reasons, but also because the Max in my game wants to face the consequences of her choices and not go back to fix them again. But the ending you pick is your ending, there's no intention from Dontnod to choose any of them as canon.

Been thinking about this a lot lately. I enjoyed episode 5 but it left me with a lingering feeling that it didn't land quite as hard as it should have, and now that the series has had some time to settle, I think it's the fact that Max is kind of a non-character, almost like a fully voiced silent protagonist.

We go through a lot of things with her, but how much do we actually know about her? She's a photographer, but when do we see her passion for it? Why does she want to win that contest? What did her relationship with Chloe when they were younger mean to her? So much of Max is full-on "telling instead of showing," I never felt like I really saw her feel anything until the final episode (and as a result it came off as a little flat). And yeah, to an extent I'm sure it's the idea of "you make the character through your choices," but even then I never felt like Max was anything other than one-note. You could play Lee Everett as a nice guy or as kind of a prick, but either way I came out feeling like he was a fully-formed character I really came to know.

By the end of the series (and particularly - spoilers -
the fact that Chloe is the one to come to terms with the situation and make the choice of sacrificing herself
) I found myself wondering if we were watching the right events but through the wrong character.

I feel like Max's character really shines through her internalizing interactions with people and things in the environment. If you skipped past talking to a lot of the background characters and didnt interact with a lot of stuff I can see how you could come to your conclusion.

Her passion for photography was pretty clear to me throughout the game by her reactions to interacting with stuff in her room and other areas at Blackwell. She also comments on different photographer styles in a number of conversations, most of the kids on campus associate her with her camera and her love for it also manifests itself thru her eye and instincts for some of the optional photos you can take. I think you might be confusing her nonchalent attitude about the photo contest with her overall love for photography. I chalked this up to her being new on campus, and her being unsure of herself and her work at that point. She was a new face in town after 5 years in Seattle and thru convo with her classmates you come to find that they have all been at Blackwell for at least 1 more semester so I think her behavior can be justified.

Shes also only 18 compared to Lee Everett so she has less notable life experiences to mold a distinct personality like him. I think she does have enough of one to give her more credit than being just a blank slate or silent protagonist, but to your point its more safe and less interesting than maybe you were hoping for. I thought she had plenty of quirks about her, but her character arc definately pales in comparison to Chloe's journey.

Been thinking about this a lot lately. I enjoyed episode 5 but it left me with a lingering feeling that it didn't land quite as hard as it should have, and now that the series has had some time to settle, I think it's the fact that Max is kind of a non-character, almost like a fully voiced silent protagonist.

We go through a lot of things with her, but how much do we actually know about her? She's a photographer, but when do we see her passion for it? Why does she want to win that contest? What did her relationship with Chloe when they were younger mean to her? So much of Max is full-on "telling instead of showing," I never felt like I really saw her feel anything until the final episode (and as a result it came off as a little flat). And yeah, to an extent I'm sure it's the idea of "you make the character through your choices," but even then I never felt like Max was anything other than one-note. You could play Lee Everett as a nice guy or as kind of a prick, but either way I came out feeling like he was a fully-formed character I really came to know.

By the end of the series (and particularly - spoilers -
the fact that Chloe is the one to come to terms with the situation and make the choice of sacrificing herself
) I found myself wondering if we were watching the right events but through the wrong character.

Yeah I agree with your point regarding the ending
the fact that Chloe wants you to sacrifise her ruined that final choice, i was going to do it anyway but she just made it even more easier. They should have come up with a different dialogue, for example she persuade you leave Arcadia bay with her and go to California.

Also Max and Chloe
at the end have different relationship depending on your choices i guess, In my ending they are lovers? They kiss goodbye, I saw someone choose the same ending on youtube but they hugged goodbye. I think its a cool touch.

Cerium

I think Max has a clear character arc. We watch her grow from a somewhat lost, insecure girl, into a strong and determined woman who has seen and been through some shit. At the beginning she's so insecure about her photo (which is apparently amazing) that she doesn't enter it into the competition. By the end,
she's willing to tear time and space apart to save someone she loves

Max and Chloe are also key to each others development. It's because of Chloe that Max finds the courage and resilience to survive everything that happens in the game. At the same time, it's because of Max's unconditional friendship that Chloe finally stops being selfish. She goes from joking about dropping a bomb on Arcadia Bay to
being willing to die for it
. I think that's a perfect way for her arc to end.

You can't look at their character developments in a vacuum. They are a package deal.

Yeah I agree with your point regarding the ending
the fact that Chloe wants you to sacrifise her ruined that final choice, i was going to do it anyway but she just made it even more easier.
I disagree strongly. As it turns out, there is datamined dialogue of an earlier draft where Chloe
begs you to choose her over "that filthy town"
but I'm extremely glad that they rewrote it. If they had gone that route, Chloe wouldn't have grown at all, she'd be right back where she was at the beginning as a character. The way she changes in response to Max's selflessness and devotion is key to her development.

Just finished it up, taking the
correct
ending. (
No fucking way did I go through all of that for nothing.
)

Just a hell of a game, loved every minute of it.

Time to go wade through that spoiler thread, and begin the long, dark, waiting time of the soul until all of Season 2 is out so I can binge it.

I disagree strongly. As it turns out, there is datamined dialogue of an earlier draft where Chloe
begs you to choose her over "that filthy town"
but I'm extremely glad that they rewrote it. If they had gone that route, Chloe wouldn't have grown at all, she'd be right back where she was at the beginning as a character. The way she changes in response to Max's selflessness and devotion is key to her development.

hmm good point
i would not blame her for not wanting to die, but maybe you are right, it says more about her character that she is willing to sacrifice herself for others, I also noticed that it was the first time ever that she called David "step father" (that was sad)

Just finished episode 3 and holy shit that was good... Knew something was going to happen but really didn't expect to see that.. Must say I didn't get into the first two episodes really until the end of episode 2 but now it's starting to get really good!

I see what you guys mean about Max above, but personally I really engaged with her, even when it could all be a little too earnest etc. Her and Chloe together are the thing, as also said above.

Reedirect

Disagree. In fact, I believe Max is a stronger (as in better written), more layered character than Chloe. While the game kinda shows you Chloe's attitude right from the start and lets her drive most of the investigation plotline forward by her somewhat irrational, but well-meaning behavior, you can still deduce more from Max from her inner thoughts, side conversations with people on campus and the diaries.

Loves photography, but is very insecure and anxious about showing her own work to other people (all the stuff with avoiding Everyday Heroes, having stacks of photos in her room and nowhere else). Purposefully shields herself from the "Blackwell drama", which accounts to being overly judgmental of people on campus she barely knows, so she can later talk to them and find out most of them are actually alright and struggling as much as she is. A few other quirks are tied to her lone persona (being a geek, liking retro stuff because it reminds her of her childhood - a better time).

This ties to her overall coming of age arc, from an angsty kid to an adult, or from a chrysalis to a blue butterfly, if you wish.

And all this before her relationship with Chloe even comes to play. So yeah, I think saying she's a non-character is kinda crazy.

Demoskinos

Just throwing it out there to anyone interested Giantbomb East is continuing their playthrough of Life is Strange today at 1pm EST they are on Episode 3 ATM.

Aerocrane

Just throwing it out there to anyone interested Giantbomb East is continuing their playthrough of Life is Strange today at 1pm EST they are on Episode 3 ATM.

It should be noted that this livestream is premium content and requires a subscription to Giant Bomb to view.

Top Bottom