• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Loves photography, but is very insecure and anxious about showing her own work to other people (all the stuff with avoiding Everyday Heroes, having stacks of photos in her room and nowhere else). Purposefully shields herself from the "Blackwell drama", which accounts to being overly judgmental of people on campus she barely knows, so she can later talk to them and find out most of them are actually alright and struggling as much as she is. A few other quirks are tied to her lone persona (being a geek, liking retro stuff because it reminds her of her childhood - a better time).

This ties to her overall coming of age arc, from an angsty kid to an adult, or from a chrysalis to a blue butterfly, if you wish.

We're definitely told a lot about her but it never really seemed like we actually saw much of it. The "press X to sit and reflect" moments scattered throughout are one of my absolute favorite aspects of the series, but looking back they also kind of sum up what disappointed me most about the game narratively, being simply told about Max's feelings instead of actually seeing how things affect her. I can't recall a specific example, but it often felt like instead of seeing Max feel something, we just got voiceover saying "I feel this."

I guess a lot of this plays into animation and voice acting as well. The facial animation was pretty lackluster throughout (as janky as Telltale's "snapping from one position to the next" facial transitions are, you're at least shown a wide range of emotions), and Max's voice acting felt kind of... distant. It was a good performance but I'm not sure it was the one the character needed, a more expressive one may have sold the character a bit better for me.

I do think the writing was strong overall, though, I certainly don't spend this much time thinking about this stuff with the vast majority of games. Easily one of the best sci-fi stories of the year, surprisingly willing to put its characters through the frigging wringer, deals with heavy themes and issues with a maturity not found in many games, etc. I just wound up thinking that Max was kind of a weak link.

Not sure if this is new news, but they just posted on Facebook that they have a very limited supply of physical PC editions on the square Enix store

Not sure if this is new news, but they just posted on Facebook that they have a very limited supply of physical PC editions on the square Enix store

Are these just steam activations or is the content actually on the disc, and playable without an internet connection?

If it's the latter, I'm going to buy it. If it's the former... well, I don't see much point in "collecting" what is effectively a digital license.

spinz

Are these just steam activations or is the content actually on the disc, and playable without an internet connection?

If it's the latter, I'm going to buy it. If it's the former... well, I don't see much point in "collecting" what is effectively a digital license.

the point of buying it is the book and soundtrack.
At least at first glance it doesnt appear to be a steam version, but you never know (since its not out).
Also, because of the mentioned "very" limited nature of it, its the kind of thing youre either going to buy immediately or youre not.

Been thinking about this a lot lately. I enjoyed episode 5 but it left me with a lingering feeling that it didn't land quite as hard as it should have, and now that the series has had some time to settle, I think it's the fact that Max is kind of a non-character, almost like a fully voiced silent protagonist.

I don't think this is such a bad thing in a video game though.

I mean... I wouldn't want a truly silent protagonist, but there's a fine line. You want someone who has some depth and can be related to, but is ALSO a semi-blank slate that you can project yourself onto. And I think Max actually balanced that pretty well.

If Max was a fully developed character, I'm not sure that Life is Strange would have been as successful.

Demoskinos

I don't think this is such a bad thing in a video game though.

I mean... I wouldn't want a truly silent protagonist, but there's a fine line. You want someone who has some depth and can be related to, but is ALSO a semi-blank slate that you can project yourself onto. And I think Max actually balanced that pretty well.

If Max was a fully developed character, I'm not sure that Life is Strange would have been as successful.

Yeah, she had a personality but it was never so strong that any of the decisions were ever "Oh, this is what Max would do"

the point of buying it is the book and soundtrack.
At least at first glance it doesnt appear to be a steam version, but you never know (since its not out).
Also, because of the mentioned "very" limited nature of it, its the kind of thing youre either going to buy immediately or youre not.

Good point. I just bought it from the Square Enix store just now—If it ends up being a Steam activation, I'll resell it.

I don't really care about the art book and soundtrack.

Edit: It just occurred to me... how are they going to FIT the game on a single DVD? Life is Strange is 11.84 GB. If you compress it into a ZIP, it goes down to 11 GB (I just tested).

I'm sure that Square Enix has much better compression methods than I do (and I didn't even try very hard), but 11 is a lot more than 8.

Edit2:
5121aae592.png

Ah well, guess I'm cancelling the preorder. Hadn't expected it to be DRM free, but I was really hoping for some kind of offline DRM. :(

Danj

It's a shame that the physical release is limited to PC and current-gen consoles, I still know a few people who have last-gen consoles who'd be interested in this.

Reedirect

We're definitely told a lot about her but it never really seemed like we actually saw much of it. The "press X to sit and reflect" moments scattered throughout are one of my absolute favorite aspects of the series, but looking back they also kind of sum up what disappointed me most about the game narratively, being simply told about Max's feelings instead of actually seeing how things affect her. I can't recall a specific example, but it often felt like instead of seeing Max feel something, we just got voiceover saying "I feel this."

Her character development relies on her inner thoughts a lot, so if you're not a fan of that, I can definitely understand your disappointment with it. And I guess it makes sense, the player decides how she reacts on the most important decisions, so you make your version of Max in the process, as much as you make your version of Lee Everett.

I disagree about not seeing how things affect her, though. There are pretty clear character moments that are actually not told through voice-over at all.
You see her gradually become more courageous with every episode, which happens mostly because of Chloe's influence. From not caring about Rachel Amber to being ballsy when getting keys to an RV of a shady drug dealer, so they can get more info. Plus all the small touches like her saying "hella" in a dialogue.

Bar81

Edit2:
5121aae592.png

Ah well, guess I'm cancelling the preorder. Hadn't expected it to be DRM free, but I was really hoping for some kind of offline DRM. :(

Thanks for the info. That's horrible although not shocking sadly. Guess I'll be cancelling my preorder as well. It's getting ridiculous that the only people we can count on to "release" DRM free games are the pirates. I want to give Dontnod my money but they're doing everything in their power to stop me. smh.

edit: Guess I could buy and then just download a proper DRM free copy. UGH. I hate you DRM (and publishers).

Thanks to Steam's sale, I finally bought Life is Strange after some months of waiting. Now that I've completed it, I wish I bought right away... what a breathtaking game. I feel really fortunate to have avoided any shred of information about the story up until I played it; can't help but feel it makes everything in the game more poignant and interesting, especially in later episodes. It's such a wild ride.

Y'know, after years of TellTale adventures it feels weird to play such a smooth and evocative game. DOTNOD are really talented at creating this authentic atmosphere; both LiS and their previous game, Remember Me, are great at this, no matter where they go. It's the sort of game where I can observe, listen, or interact, and no matter what's happening, I feel like I'm learning something about the world or its characters. And I want to applaud Hannah Telle and Ashly Burch for their respective roles as Max and Chloe--they gave wonderfully heartfelt performances that add a lot to the game. To bring it back to Telltale, DONTNOD's work is like a genuine slice of someone's life, rather than a play about said life.

Never thought anything could challenge the Witcher 3 this year, but now... I have some thinking to do.

finished this one last night. Great game! I went into it blind and bought the season pass based on the recommendation of a friend. Played through all 5 episodes in maybe a week or so.

It's definitely better than the similar telltale games I've played through previously (TWD season 1/2, BTTF, Wolf Among Us) if for no other reason than the engine isn't a steaming pile of junk and the game isn't chock full of bugs. (it DID crash on me in episode 5 on a PS4 though...)

I did as much as possible throughout my playthrough, and formed connections with as many people as I could. I get the complaints about the ending, but how much you'll feel one or the other is worth it probably depends on your playstyle up to that point. for me personally
My Max cared for everyone so deeply that any ending OTHER than the one where you let chloe die is nonsensical. Caring for Chloe is one thing, but not to the exclusion of the lives of everyone else. Warren/Joyce/Frank/Evan/That Fisherman/Victoria in particular die HORRIBLY, and letting Kate Marsh die along with everyone else after the energy spent saving her and developing a friendship with her would just be bizarre.

Don't really have anywhere else to turn so hoping someone more tech savvy can help me out. My Life is Strange game keeps on crashing and I have no idea why. The error occurs during cutscenes, the tornado scenes seem especially bad.

First I was getting a Failure to create D3D error, and now it's the following error: d3dfmt_a16b16g16r16f. There appear to be STEAM threads for both:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=772

https://steamcommunity.com/app/319630/discussions/1/490123727971911907/

I have an Acer Aspire with the following specs:

Windows 10
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz
8 GB DDR3L
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M

I can run Witcher 3 and MGSV with no problems, so it's not like I don't have the horse power.

I am assuming it's a driver problem. I've updated everything but still no luck. I am kind of at my wits end. If anyone could help it would be extremely appreciated.

Don't really have anywhere else to turn so hoping someone more tech savvy can help me out. My Life is Strange game keeps on crashing and I have no idea why. The error occurs during cutscenes, the tornado scenes seem especially bad.

First I was getting a Failure to create D3D error, and now it's the following error: d3dfmt_a16b16g16r16f. There appear to be STEAM threads for both:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=772

https://steamcommunity.com/app/319630/discussions/1/490123727971911907/

I have an Acer Aspire with the following specs:

Windows 10
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz
8 GB DDR3L
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M

I can run Witcher 3 and MGSV with no problems, so it's not like I don't have the horse power.

I am assuming it's a driver problem. I've updated everything but still no luck. I am kind of at my wits end. If anyone could help it would be extremely appreciated.

Shot in the dark, but have you tried verifying the game, then reinstalling the redistributables LiS comes prepacked with? They should be in LiS's CommonRedist folder, but I dunno which ones they are exactly.

Only other thing I can think of to try would be a clean driver install. Never actually tried it myself though. Nvidia's drivers have that option on install, but there are third party tools that will make it more "clean." Please be very careful when messing with third-party apps like that, especially if you're not sure what you're doing--they can bork things pretty good.

spinz

yeah always try verifying. Also: have you already tried turning the settings down to see if it still happens? That would help narrow if its a certain effect thats causing it.

I verified the game cache and did a clean reinstall of the most recent Nvidia drivers. If the error persists I will mess around and lower the settings and hope it helps.

Won't be able to test the results for a day or two but thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Side note, was able to finish episode 2 last night. Holy shit was that second to last scene
on the roof
intense. Happy it turned out ok for all parties involved.

NeatoKuni

Do we know if the commentary included with the Limited Edition will be on disc or something? I was planning on buying it and just trading in the game itself.
need dat soundtrack/artbook

Is the retail special edition going to be worldwide? Because I'd be totally on board with it.
Side note, was able to finish episode 2 last night. Holy shit was that second to last scene
on the roof
intense. Happy it turned out ok for all parties involved.

... :'(

As to your issues, seriously try reinstalling the redistributables if it still doesn't work. Steam can occasionally screw up the initial installation.

Also, a cursory google suggest d3d errors can be resolution-related (as in, the game is trying to use an invalid resolution for your setup.) so if you're still stuck force it to play windowed and see what happens. (Either by the game's My Documents .ini or through the Steam launch options.) Theoretically, once you get in-game you'll be able to set a proper resolution and play fullscreen, as normal, afterwards.

E-flux

I managed to get around and finish the final episode last night.

I really liked the final episode, i thought that it was excellent up until the final decision.
Spoilers about the final episode shenanigans

Okay, so i really liked all the time jumps and different time lines that we saw in the episode, the way how everything started to unravel and you were just jumping between realities was really cool in my mind. Though the whole chaos theory explanation was completely bullshit. I decided to save Chloe and sacrifice the town since after all that, there's no way i'm going back in time and potentially create another time loop.

Only thing i would have wished was for the game to have some sort of an epilogue, show stuff that happens on our chosen timeline, images with narration would have been just fine, the way the game ended left it feeling a bit hollow.

Was able to get through Episode 3 without a single issue. Thanks to LurkerPrime and spinz for the assist, much appreciated.

That last scene
Chloe in the wheel chair
Holy shit. I am so glad I waited to jump in after the whole season was released. Don't know what I would do if I had to wait a month or two between episodes.

This game is effing great.

thumb

Banned
Why in the hell does Max not (endgame spoilers)
immediately take a bunch of pictures of the evil photography bunker for evidence? SHE'S A PHOTOGRAPHER, and this doesn't even occur to her?

spinz

immediately take a bunch of pictures of the evil photography bunker for evidence? SHE'S A PHOTOGRAPHER, and this doesn't even occur to her?

interesting comment but it makes me think more a long the lines of ....
why doesnt she take pictures all the time so she'll constantly have places to travel back to :p

I think she assumed
that once they caught Nathan, it'd be easy to point the police in that direction and they'd have the proof to put him away forever. Keep in mind, this was before they realized there was more than one person part of this, and they were racing against the clock to get Nathan before Victoria was made into the next victim at the party.

interesting comment but it makes me think more a long the lines of ....
why doesnt she take pictures all the time so she'll constantly have places to travel back to :p

she only realized
that she could do that for every single photo once she was in the bunker. before that she only had done it with one single photograph.

NeatoKuni

I always wondered what would happen if
Max was somehow able to time travel using a photo she didn't take. Maybe she'd take over the body of whoever took it?
It would've been interesting to see I think.

PensOwl

Banned
she only realized
that she could do that for every single photo once she was in the bunker. before that she only had done it with one single photograph.

I got the impression that after what happened in ep3, she was so put off by what happened that she didn't want to do it again. I think the first time in ep5 she
travels back into a photograph max says something along the lines of "I swore I'd never do this again" or something

Sande

I always wondered what would happen if
Max was somehow able to time travel using a photo she didn't take. Maybe she'd take over the body of whoever took it?
It would've been interesting to see I think.
The first photo she travels to is taken by William. She just has to be in the picture, I think.

Cross-posting from the steam thread.

Just finished the game, clocked at 14 hours. Totally got bored with the first two episodes. Had some goosebumps moments on episode 3 onwards, with some crazy twists here and there. However, the ending is just so weak and pretty much predictable from the first episode. Perhaps there's totally different ending(s) if I chose some choices in different ways, especially on that last scene, but I doubt it. Loved the overall journey and story-telling though. And I'm still complaining (and won't stop) about the horrible facial animations. So many great scenes and conversations in this game that are pretty much fucked up due to the bad expressions that the characters showed. Really, what a shame. I hope they can nail it on the second season.

And anyway, is it normal for American teenagers
to enter (or sneak into) anyone's room without permission? People don't lock their rooms as well.

Alastor3

Hi! I just bought the complete edition on Steam, im still waiting for the end of my semester to start. My friend keep telling me to play it, normally I would wait for an even lower price for a game but im guessing 15$ is still pretty cheap and still give money to the devs.

I really have no idea what this game is about except for some sort of time travel puzzle?

Cerium

Hi! I just bought the complete edition on Steam, im still waiting for the end of my semester to start. My friend keep telling me to play it, normally I would wait for an even lower price for a game but im guessing 15$ is still pretty cheap and still give money to the devs.

I really have no idea what this game is about except for some sort of time travel puzzle?

It will take you places emotionally that you've never been before with a game.

Narrative driven.

Meowster

Blindly bought this yesterday and I'm already on the fourth section. Game is a blast and I love all the modern issues/ethics/taboos the narrative throws your way. Going to have to let my boyfriend play through this, I think he'd love it.

Clunker

What a lovely little game this was.

Just wrapped up episodes 4 and 5 tonight - the soundtrack was a huge bonus but the whole thing was so serene and downtempo, outside of the obvious exceptions. And that final episode, as Max might say, was pretty emosh ... I wasn't the sniveling ball of misty eyes I was in The Walking Dead Season 1, but I definitely felt the impact of everything. That final run up to the ending was also easily my favorite and the most visually compelling leg of the journey as well.

"The Journey" was really my favorite part of Life is Strange, too - like, I think some of my favorite bits of the experience were the nonessential conversations, like with Samuels or the fisherman at the diner.

Edit: Just to say again, that soundtrack, god-damn. If you had told me a 2015 game was going to have Mogwai in the background I would have called you a liar.

Top Bottom