• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Galileo

Neo Member
How can they regress from The Walking Dead? So, Wolf Among Us is just a movie then?
Yes, but with bad animations.
Also, whoever wrote the game has obviously never read a decent crime novel, they literally pull the culprit out of their ass just before the finale which is basically the worst sin you can commit in a detective story.
Cool artstyle tho

So does anyone have an issue with sound stuttering and echoing? I have it on my tablet which isn't exactly beefy because I'm going to be traveling would like this to be a distraction but this sound issue is annoying. Is it a bug or a problem caused by weak hardware? Haven't tried it on my normal PC yet.

The bird is in Chloe's parents room - when you look out the window you can see the dead bird, and if you rewind to when you first entered you can open the window and it will survive. The RV is in the parking lot. Daniel is the chubby kid who will draw your portrait if you talk to him when you first exit the school.

A lot of this requires you to explore the whole environment and to remember to use your rewind ability creatively. I actually like that you can miss so much.

I am so dumb that I didn't even think to look into Chloe's parents' room, nor do I even know where it is in terms of the house's layout. By the bookshelf in the second-floor hallway? Must've missed a door prompt.

More generally, I've never felt so much like I need to stop getting into people's business. Even the walk down the hallway at the beginning of the game, where you can stop and look at various students hanging out, felt so voyeuristic that I almost didn't bother seeing if they had View prompts. Not only did I not want to pry, I felt like Max wasn't the kind of person to pry either.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I am so dumb that I didn't even think to look into Chloe's parents' room, nor do I even know where it is in terms of the house's layout. By the bookshelf in the second-floor hallway? Must've missed a door prompt.

More generally, I've never felt so much like I need to stop getting into people's business. Even the walk down the hallway at the beginning of the game, where you can stop and look at various students hanging out, felt so voyeuristic that I almost didn't bother seeing if they had View prompts. Not only did I not want to pry, I felt like Max wasn't the kind of person to pry either.

The funny thing is that Max tells herself that she is being extra nosey
Chloe's bathroom
which tells you she isn't normally like that but at the same time the game begs you to explore around and expand on Max curiosity. Future playthroughs you don't have to explore those areas cause you know what is there and feel like the character is more natural with the way of exploration.

Outside of the terrible lip syncing (which I stopped noticing after a while), my only other real complaint is that the trophies/achievements have had no thought or effort put into them whatsoever. I hate that there's no variation and that they're all linked to doing the same task. Other than those two minor gripes, I found it to be fantastic. I've bought the season pass but waiting 6 weeks between episodes is a bummer. Luckily there are plenty of other games releasing between them which will make the wait slightly more bearable.

B8oADuTIQAARlBo.jpg:large

B8oAI87IEAAqiJD.jpg:large

Heh ;)

Glorious S-E, haha.

Apart from a few missteps Remember Me was amazing in my opinion. Loved the lead, art, graphics, and story was kind of cool and music was different. I hope these guys go places!

Same. Even with some flaws I was really impressed. I hope they get to keep making games and keep improving, lots of potential.

kubus

Btw I still have a 25% discount code for the Complete Season on Greenmangaming. It think it expires today? Or maybe it's already expired. (Says Jan 30 4pm UTC)

Quote to reveal!

sprinkles

I really loved this first episode. Like a good, solid pilot to a mystery TV series. The graphics are so beautiful, the music choices were fitting.

I also enjoyed Dontnod's Remember Me, so I feel a bit guilty to get Life is Strange for cheap on GMG. Maybe I'll give an extra copy away in the Steam Thread.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is it too far fetched to hope for better facial animations for the next episodes?

e_i

Oh gah. I thought the season pass got me all the episodes! I had to buy the first episode separately.

Vazra

Oh gah. I thought the season pass got me all the episodes! I had to buy the first episode separately.

Sony messed up and the full season pass will be available next week. You bought the alternative which makes it a 2 dollar difference I think.

Man what a great first episode, I'm completely sold on the series it's just a shame that the next episode isn't until march. Tons of great references, really good characters so far, and I honestly have no idea where this is going to go but I can't wait for the next episode.

Gbraga

Just finished it, 4.4 hours (I certainly took my time), wow. That was seriously amazing.

It started about as good as I hoped, but it started to grow during the episode and in the end it really surprised me, even though I was already excited for it. The way they play with the whole loading saves to get better outcomes thing is absolutely brilliant. I never, ever, reload saves to get a better result in those kinds of adventure/visual novel western games, I usually like to live with the outcomes of my actions, but this game uses the whole Butterfly Effect thing as part of the narrative, Max is exploring her powers, part of that is trying to be an everyday hero whenever possible, part of that is to mock her bully, but a big part of that is just to fix very minor things that in the grand scheme of things make a big difference, with the best possible outcome in every situation, the skater conversation makes that very clear, that whatever tiny social advantage you could get by using your powers it's possible to do so. But the game won't just throw that in there and say "just rewind and get the best outcome, good luck", that part in the end when
not taking a photo, that was the obvious best decision, turns out to not give you something to help your best friend
was really really smart. You can go back on time and change everything, but the outcome of those actions are not as obvious as they might see on first glance. I'm interested in following the world choices for the next episodes, to see if there's any general shift in mentality after that.

Can't wait for the next episode of this delicious slice of life sci-fi drama. And I honestly can't imagine Max being a guy, can't believe publishers actually asked this. They probably didn't even look at the game before asking for this crap.

Chloe <3

Choomp

Banned
I have to say, I loved that. It was similar to Beyond Two Souls like I expected, but the world and characters felt so much more alive. (ALSO Max is so darn cute maybe even more than Ellen Page) Can't wait for the future episodes, I'm bracing for some emotions.

There's gotta be some Catcher in the Rye connection going here right? Her last name, and that poster in Max's room looked a helluva lot like the original cover to the book.

Certinty

I've had games like Grand Theft Auto V, LittleBigPlanet 3, Assassins Creed Unity, Alien Isolation, The Evil Within and Far Cry 4 for months now and I've already put more hours into the first episode of this alone than any of them, that's how fantastic this game is.

Honestly if you're even remotely interested in what this game is offering and on the fence there's no way you shouldn't at least give it a shot given how cheap the first episode is.

I said it earlier and I'll say it again, if this was a retail game I would have happily paid full price (£40/$60) for this and not regret it from this episode alone, that's how much I enjoyed it.

Personaj

Neo Member
I'm convinced. I just finished Remember Me and I'd love to support DONTNOD so gonna check the first episode out. Plus, more games with female protagonists is always a plus for me :)

Is the rewind mechanic at all similar to Remember Me?

Looks like I missed a ton of stuff, I really shouldn't have played it like it was a Telltale game, there's a lot of depth.

I think I'm going to do another playthrough tomorrow.

Vazra

Ouch, I'm definitely interested in this game but if the episodes are that short I rather wait for the full game to be available.

If you are exploring every nook and cranny it should take about 3-4 hours. There are a few things to find and some different decisions to make on different playthroughs

Choomp

Banned
Ouch, I'm definitely interested in this game but if the episodes are that short I rather wait for the full game to be available.

Judging by some of the other posters I either have a bad sense of time or just played it quicker than usual, I mean, most of it's straightforward, not much to figure out.

Certinty

If you are exploring every nook and cranny it should take about 3-4 hours. There are a few things to find and some decision to make on different playthroughs
Pretty much this, if you care about taking all the pictures too then I reckon you would also have to play certain parts of the episode again as some of them are pretty easy to miss depending on your choices. All in all if you want to explore and find everything in the episode you should be looking at the 4+ hour mark.

Pikma

Banned
The episode definitely doesn't feel short. It's the perfect length.

If you are exploring every nook and cranny it should take about 3-4 hours. There are a few things to find and some different decisions to make on different playthroughs

Judging by some of the other posters I either have a bad sense of time or just played it quicker than usual, I mean, most of it's straightforward, not much to figure out.
Alright lol, that sounds reasonable gonna get the episode now then.

Dr. Buni

I was going to wait for the full game to be released, but I don't think I can wait. Gonna pick the season pass on Steam asap. Hopefully I will not regret this decision :)

3ish hours into the first episode and I love it. I love the slow pace of it all, the music is totally perfect and it really does capture those art school/high school vibes perfectly. Just ambling about, it's beautiful.

Agreed. I can't believe this game got made, but I'm really glad it did.

Montresor

I played the intro and it was incredible!!!

I love this god damn dev. This is TWO games in a row with absolutely incredible openings (Remember Me being the first). These guys ooze style into every ounce of their games. I cannot tell you how giddy I was when I saw Max stand back against the locker, and then BAM, "Square Enix", "DontNot", and "Life is Strange" graphic titles all blend into the screen. And then after that, that beautiful song about American Girls kicks in.

Absolutely bought. I only tried the demo, but this is so bought.

Chaos17

It was better than I expected, not really optimized for my poor 2 years old laptop though. I missed 10 or 20% of the stuff but it's okay, I don't mind because I don't know how much of these will count in the long term.

I may redo a playthrough when the game will be full but it truly got some potential. I like a lot to be able to rewind time :)

Violet_0

Banned
this is the best hipster simulator I've ever played

I kid, sorta, just started playing. The retrozone jab was so cringe-worthy

Jibbed

I'm probably only a third of the way in but man, these decisions are tricky. Lovely little game, this.

Count me in for the 'season'.

jediyoshi

I don't think that it would work pretty well with Telltales projects, because there is actually nobody who can rewind time.

Huh? I'm not referring to the rewind mechanic. When you access your existing save, you can load up a specific old chapter and then it gives you the option of starting from that point and making that be a new save or replace your existing save. Collection mode allows you to replay a specific chapter without it affecting progress at all which would be useful for just looking at alternate paths.

faridmon

I think I am gonna wait until at least Ep. 3 is out. I don't like Episodic games where you have to wait ages for the next ep. if you happen to enjoy one.

dogpowerd

Banned
I played through the first ep last night and it was really cool. I haven't been this into a episodic game since The Walking Dead season 1.

I wonder what the consequence will be for drawing on that camper van.

jtm33

Neo Member
I just got completely misled in the process of purchasing this game. I downloaded the trial version for 360 and selected the "unlock full game" option from the main menu. I paid nearly $23 for the "season pass" and let that file download. Would you believe my surprise when after relaunching the game it still said "play trial" from the main menu?

I called support and apparently this season pass doesn't actually give you a pass to the whole season! You have to buy the first episode separately, it is not included. Keep in mind that after selecting an option that said "unlock full game" there is an option that does not give you the full game. There is nothing at all that says in the description that you only get future episodes.

In all of my history buying such episodic games you buy the pass and get everything! No surprises.

I got a refund successfully. Just be careful.

I really enjoyed this game, I thought I thoroughly explored everything but I still missed one optional photo.
looked like a squirrel with a soda can
Anyone know where that one was?

RawNuts

I really enjoyed this game, I thought I thoroughly explored everything but I still missed one optional photo.
looked like a squirrel with a soda can
Anyone know where that one was?
Outside the dorm before you enter it, at the far side by a tree over by the sprinkler controls.

Top Bottom