• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Wow. I vaguely remember hearing Dontnod had a new game coming. I liked Remember Me a lot, and am glad they are still around. The idea looks cool, so that's a bonus. I'm going to try the demo when I get home. To those who've played chapter 1, does it seem worth it to spring for the Season pass on tuesday?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Wow. I vaguely remember hearing Dontnod had a new game coming. I liked Remember Me a lot, and am glad they are still around. The idea looks cool, so that's a bonus. I'm going to try the demo when I get home. To those who've played chapter 1, does it seem worth it to spring for the Season pass on tuesday?

I think its worth it. I paid 13.50 for it on Green Man Gaming for PC tho.

Violet_0

Banned
Wow. I vaguely remember hearing Dontnod had a new game coming. I liked Remember Me a lot, and am glad they are still around. The idea looks cool, so that's a bonus. I'm going to try the demo when I get home. To those who've played chapter 1, does it seem worth it to spring for the Season pass?

episode 1 is great, it's a steal for that price

Bryko

Some cheesy writing at times, but definitely enjoying this so far! I really appreciate how much the game rewards exploration. I spent a ton of time poking around and yet still apparently missed some stuff.

I really love the aesthetic too. Beautiful colors and great music. Gonna suck to wait for the next episode :(

Wubbys

Sorry if it has been explained in this topic already but is the "Try it Free" option the full first episode? Think I would rather just buy it if it is just a demo.

Sorry if it has been explained in this topic already but is the "Try it Free" option the full first episode? Think I would rather just buy it if it is just a demo.

It's about 20 minutes of the first episode (which is roughly 3 hours if you explore)

Coconut

Banned
wut. pls explain

Like the story set up, the setting of pacific north west all feels better. and the choices and such over when to and not to use your powers or intervene all seem so muddy in an interesting way. There's a certain cheesiness to all the dialog that makes it 'fun'. At it's core they are the same story high school kid gets powers or whatever.

Violet_0

Banned
What's the song that Max is listening to in the beginning? Was perfect for an intro into the world and character.
same guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwJqUbd1vzs
man, these types of choices, like
taking the fall for chloe or not
always kill me. I just cant decide :(
was the first choice I went with
I couldn't hide in time, lol
and I think it leads to the most interesting narrative so I stick with it. Besides, I always
take the blame for others in these games for some reason

man, these types of choices, like
taking the fall for chloe or not
always kill me. I just cant decide :(

I think the rewind mechanic really brings a great twist to the choices, the consequence thing too.
Totally agree. On a normal game in the genre, i could stick to my decision, but the rewind ability and her comments makes me really doubt myself :p

was the first choice I went with
I couldn't hide in time, lol
and I think it leads to the most interesting narrative so I stick with it. Besides, I always
take the blame for others in these games for some reason
Yeah, but then i think about
her scholarship
, but when i make the decision to hide, i think of what will happen to
Chloe
. So conflicted.

EDIT: FUCK IT, i'm
taking the blame

Choomp

Banned

If this game were a person I'd probably kill it with hugs. I mean like, I think I'd usually call bs on the last sequence, but I don't know, I found it so beautiful, idk if it was the way it was set up or what

Dio Brando said:
man, these types of choices,
like taking the fall for chloe or not always kill me.
I just cant decide :(
I think the rewind mechanic really brings a great twist to the choices, the consequence thing too.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I like the time-rewind game mechanic, which really fits well with such P&C narrative genre.

I find the time rewind plot interesting too, cant wait for the next episode. The interactivity and the consequences of the choices realy surpass Telltale's walking dead series.

Well, just finished it...and i loved it. It's just... i dunno, it just feels really unique, when compared other games. I love the presentation, the use of music(i need this soundtrack). I seriously hope this gets more recognition, and i'm glad DONTNOD got the chance to make this.

How hard is it to find the optional photographs? And does it add a lot of time to the play through?

Keep in mind I'm not great at puzzles or brain teasers.

jediyoshi

PC Patch notes up
http://steamcommunity.com/games/319630/announcements/detail/116300968907670508

Evening folks..

We've just pushed a patch to steam to address the following issues:
Fix Gamma/Brightness not properly being applied to the Bink videos.
Fix streaming issue for high res textures.
Fix key binding modifications not being applied when pressing escape key.
Some tweaks to MSAA rendering.
Comfort tweaks to mouse drag speed so in-game interactions are smoother.
Please be aware there are some other issues which we are working on, but wanted to get these fixes out to users as quickly as we can.

If users want to remain on the launch version they can select this from the Beta Tab on the game properties.. Just select "launch-version-20150130" and the game will revert back to the original launch build

Thanks for your patience

How hard is it to find the optional photographs? And does it add a lot of time to the play through?

Keep in mind I'm not great at puzzles or brain teasers.

They are very straight forward. They're not very puzzle based, more exploration involved.

Osahi

Missed two photos and some small exploration stuff
the pregnancy test, wish i had that info later on

xrnzaaas

Best money spent on a video game in a long time. Loved it. I probably spent 4+ hours playing episode 1 so I could enjoy every little moment.

Played the demo...seems pretty cool. Too bad Sony fucked up not putting Episodes 1-5 pack up for sale yet. Still might get episode 1 tomorrow and the 2-5 at some later date or I can wait until Tuesday...ehh.

Only gripe from the demo is it seems your initial choice is BS no matter what you do(I feel sick/I need the bathroom for example). I actually didn't try the other answer in the demo(on rewind) but I imagine it just brings you back to where you have to choose the learned and new 3rd option anyways with some different response from whomever is involved. Kinda dumb that the initial choice(either way) leads to a dead end if that is indeed the case.

LX_Theo

Banned
That was exactly what i expected it to be.

We need more developers tackling this genre. So much potential shown by this game along with Telltale's series.

Just finished it, and really liked it. I wasn't sure how time sensitive some of the stuff would be, so I didn't get all of the optional photos - something to do on a subsequent playthrough. All but one or two decisions I made were in the (vast) majority. I'm a little surprised at how Telltale is actually is, yet how different it feels with all the inner monologue going on, which I really enjoyed.

Playing on PC and with the latest patch, I noticed quite a bit of audio hitching after scene transitions or
rewinds
. Otherwise, it looks and sounds beautiful. Can't wait for the rest!
= kek

Really enjoyed it.
The writing and voice acting is really good.
The soundtrack is amazing.

The only REAL issue I have with the game is the lip sync. It's atrocious. :/

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The more I read about this, the more excited I get. Though I enjoyed remember me, I wished the focus was more on the memory jacking. Have you do it more often, and have different changes have different results rather than a pass fail. An adventure game with the mind jacking would have been perfect. This seems to be like that, but with time rewinding instead. I really can't wait to try the demo.

Pooya

It's like watching some drama TV show, rare for a game, it's kinda cool., if it was a TV show though I would probably never even watch a minute of it lol.

I must say the sound design in the intro and classroom scene were pretty good for a small game like this. Playing this with headphones on is quite nice.

I'm quite happy with the number of items you can interact for Max to comment, there is a lot. Far more than some similar games from others. I actually went all over the place to make sure I find everything, it makes the school feel a proper place. Rooms look pretty cool.

What brings it down is the plastic looking hair and lack of lipsync. For a game like this presentation elements are quite a bit more important than other games. Voice acting is surprisingly decent, I was expecting something too cheesy, it's still cheesy a bit but more than acceptable.

I found this episode better than David Cage's games, we will see how it holds up in future.

K0Pgg2n.gif

I always had a guilty pleasure of spinning in Square Enix games, and this game pass that test.

Fret

The sound design in this game is head and shoulders above anything Telltale has done.
Most of the time in The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us, characters would move or touch something and there wouldn't be any noise or sound, Life is Strange has heaps of it.

duck_sauce

Im very much in love with that game. The characters are great and make me believe this is a real, breathing world that i can explore. The music, Max inner thoughts and the set pieces....it all creates such a wonderful, calm and at the same time intense atmosphere.
I really regret not buying the season pass. I cant do that now. PSN tells me that i already bought the first episode. :)

I urge everyone to try that game if you like a.) Telltale games, b.) calm and serene mystery that slowly builds up, and c.) a fan of storytelling.

Somehow this whole telltale format kinda reminds me of modern day visual novels.....at least to a degree,

Did i say im in love with the first episode of the game? I did, did i?

;)

Micerider

I love that Syd Matters has been licensed for this game. I've been fan of the band since their uprising in an old contest in a french guitar magazine (guitar part) about 15 years ago. Great tastes Dontnod

mike4001_

Missed two photos and some small exploration stuff
the pregnancy test, wish i had that info later on

There is a collectors mode.

You can just take the missing photos, this progress will be saved not not anything else you do in collectors mode => Just perfect and thank you @developers for putting in this mode :)

Thezez

Banned
Downloaded the demo on PSN this morning, went in with only the knowledge that it had something to do with rewinding time. What a gem this turned out to be, bought it as soon as the demo ended.

Only problem is some random stuttering and texture pop in when transitioning between areas.

duck_sauce

You can just take the missing photos, this progress will be saved not not anything else you do in collectors mode => Just perfect and thank you @developers for putting in this mode :)

Oh thank you, i didnt know that. That way i can take my inner ocd to rest. ;)

btw...is anyone getting a little twin peaks vibe from this or am i the only one?

fernoca

Took the plunge and bought Episode I at 1AM on PS4. Was finished downloading by 2AM...and just finished it .

Bought the Season Pass right there too.

Really liked this. The story, the characters, the music, the concept, the visuals. Can't wait until March.

Oh! Wasn't aware of this. Was thinking on starting another save, after getting to know more about David. XD

Missing only 3 pictures.

I enjoyed the demo quite a bit, but would much rather have a physical of all episodes. Hmm... i think i'll be brave and wait, hoping they announce one.

Altima

This game make telltale game become a joke.

No QTE bullshit. No stupid timing when I choose my answer, More exploration, More meaningful moment, and environment is really great.

Can't wait for next episode.

xrnzaaas

This game make telltale game become a joke.

No QTE bullshit. No stupid timing when I choose my answer, More exploration, More meaningful moment, and environment is really great.

Can't wait for next episode.

Yeah, I'll never look at a Telltale game the same way after playing Life is Strange. :) I'm a sucker for licensed games, because normally I wouldn't buy Game of Thrones and TWD S2.

PS. I loved reading (another thing TT titles don't have) bulletin board notes and journal entries in ep1.

:D

Tizoc

Is the game's bloom setting defaulted on On? If so anyway to get rid of it, along with any motion blur?

kubus

Lol, after playing the first episode I just had a look at the OP again and wtf, the character's descriptions were all completely wrong, haha (I copied them from a wiki). Said that Rachel is a childhood friend of Max, and that Chloe only learned of Rachel's disappearance after she met with Max. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it so far :p.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm going to add some more info to the OP later today so it doesn't look so half-assed.

I'm surprised by how active this thread is (thought this would fly under the radar for many people), and I'm so happy for Dontnod that it's being received so well. I hope this series becomes a success for them, because I can't wait to see what else they can do with their talent.

Gbraga

The lack of QTEs is indeed refreshing, I was expecting the prompt to come up at any time. Glad it didn't. Instead we got a real gameplay mechanic to make it interesting besides dialogue.

Btw, Bayonetta, I can't stop looking at your avatar. D:

Mista

Banned
Do you like narrative-focused games, like most modern Telltale or Quantic Dream games? If so I'd totally recommend it. It's a bit different than those because you're playing as a teen girl in a private high school so the story is a bit more grounded, even with the supernatural elements that come in like being able to rewind time.

The best way I can describe it is Twin Peaks meets Veronica Mars done in the style of a Telltale Game with a focus on details and world building similar to a game like Gone Home (i.e. there is a lot to look at that makes the world feel "lived-in.") But the mood is fantastic, the visuals are interesting and it's a breath of fresh air in the sense that there aren't many games that explore these kinds of characters or environments.

Oh this is wicked! downloading right now

Thank you very much.

spekkeh

Banned
It has its problems but that ending was amazing. Here's hoping they don't take Telltale times with releasing the other episodes. I see that I somehow missed a lot of stuff too.

Top Bottom