• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

So I just started looking into this game and was wondering if someone could summarize what it is in their experience so far. I've played games like Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc, would you say it's almost like a mashup between them all in terms of mechanics and story telling? Any differences between PS4 and Xbox One versions in performance/visuals? Any talk of a condensed full release after all the episodes are out?

Doesn't have the QTE action setpieces of Heavy Rain. It certainly has the difficult decisions you often see in Telltale's releases, but there is less focus on dialogue choice. Most decisions are made through actions. Story is certainly more engaging than recent Telltale output and there are some seriously weighty moment throughout the released episodes. Performance feels fine on PS4 but it's not a particularly intensive game so X1 is likely the same. Don't recall hearing about a retail bundle at the end of the series, but it seems likely.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So I just started looking into this game and was wondering if someone could summarize what it is in their experience so far. I've played games like Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc, would you say it's almost like a mashup between them all in terms of mechanics and story telling? Any differences between PS4 and Xbox One versions in performance/visuals? Any talk of a condensed full release after all the episodes are out?

Better than most Telltale games and way better than David Cage's games.

I'm loving it so far. It's very similar to the games TTG puts out in terms of decision making. There aren't any combat situations like you see in TTG, so no QTE, but the story is an enjoyable one. The ability to rewind adds an interesting element to the game and it feels like the choices you make hold weight. Plus, the license plates usually reference shows I like, so huge plus.

Fret

I think a small reason why it feels so much better as a "game" than Telltale is the camera - it plays like a normal third person game, unlike the kinda annoying locked camera placements

Grisby

Good experience so far. Easily one of the best story driven games I've played this year.

The gameplay is very much Telltale in the dialogue sense, but it does seem to have a lot more walking around and puzzle solving then those games have had in a while. No QTE HR/TT stuff.

No talk of a disc release or any condensed deal as of now.

Really, it's one of the most different game experiences I've had in quite a long time, and I think it's worth trying out for that alone.

chadskin

It's definitely very similar to the Telltale games. FWIW, I thoroughly enjoyed TWD S1, TWAU and love Life is Strange. Go for it, you can always buy the first episode and try it for a couple of bucks and pick up the season pass (episodes 2-5) if you enjoyed it.

No differences between consoles I'm aware of and no talk yet of a retail release.

Sera O

Banned

One thing that distinguishes the game for me is the rewind mechanic and how it helps me feel committed to my decisions. You can always back up and go the other way to see how it plays out, as long as you don't leave the area, and sometimes you get some interesting information by doing so.

It's not like it removes elements of surprise; important choices in Life Is Strange seem to have both short and long term effects, so you may have unexpected stuff happen down the line. However, it's cool that the game lets you satisfy your curiosity about alternate responses in that immediate way. In other choice-based games I'd have to replay long sequences to see alternate outcomes. I really like that I don't feel the need to do that with this game.

Thanks for the replies guys! Didn't know it had a rewind mechanics but it sounds like it's right up my alley then, I'll definitely start on it soon.

wouwie

One thing i feel this game does a lot better than the Telltale games is that there is no dialogue/choice timer (meaning you have to select an answer within x seconds). I never understood why Telltale does that since i feel it doesn't add anything to the game at all, on the contrary.

With LiS, for some choices, i just put down my controller and had a think about it which is something that makes it a lot more interesting and fun. But it seems not many people are bothered by the timed dialogue/choices in the TT games so it might just be me :)

Other than that, LiS feels more like a game compared to TT, which i consider more like an interactive movie. In LiS, there is more room for exploration at your own pace and you can basically spent as much time with the game as you wish.

Maybe they're keeping it a secret and are going to release on the 14th anyway, dont give up hope my friend
On one hand, 14th of July is French national day.
on the other, SE and Sony are doing the publishing / selling it on the PSN, so there shouldn't be any problem publishsing it.
I hope for this date so I can do something with my day
I'm going with the 21st leak. Please, Dontnod!
French Schedule Slip (R)

I've bden listening to the (handmade) OST. So good I feel like I'm in Arcadia Bay.
All previous episodes were available to sites for review over the weekend before release. Episode 4 is not with anyone yet.,

That settles in then.

On one hand, 14th of July is French national day.
on the other, SE and Sony are doing the publishing / selling it on the PSN, so there shouldn't be any problem publishsing it.
I hope for this date so I can do something with my day

All previous episodes were available to sites for review over the weekend before release. Episode 4 is not with anyone yet.,

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
One thing i feel this game does a lot better than the Telltale games is that there is no dialogue/choice timer (meaning you have to select an answer within x seconds). I never understood why Telltale does that since i feel it doesn't add anything to the game at all, on the contrary.
With LiS, for some choices, i just put down my controller and had a think about it which is something that makes it a lot more interesting and fun. But it seems not many people are bothered by the timed dialogue/choices in the TT games so it might just be me :)
Other than that, LiS feels more like a game compared to TT, which i consider more like an interactive movie. In LiS, there is more room for exploration at your own pace and you can basically spent as much time with the game as you wish.
Ugh. I agree. I've stopped the game entirely for a couple weeks in episode 3.
Whether or not to steal the "handicapped fund".
It weighed on me but also I didn't want to finish the episode =. Maybe I should just replay it all.
Thanks for the replies guys! Didn't know it had a rewind mechanics but it sounds like it's right up my alley then, I'll definitely start on it soon.
I didn't remember this either. I bought it because I was tipsy, bored, and seeing the OT on the front page since January got me absurdly curious. Best blind impulse buy ever. Shocking how quickly it grabbed hold of me.

One other thing. Does someone have an Apple Music playlist for LiS? Or do I have to laboriously make my own :[? Spotify gots it.

I wonder if a developer could ever get away with making a story-focused game about two young men doing the kinds of things Chloe and Max do together.
Nope.

When I see that something like 75% of players chose
for them to kiss
, I don't really know how to take it. Especially when the few Let's Plays I've seen seem to gawk at the moment in the typical, depressing fashion.

I feel like female characters in fiction can't be close friends without a huge portion of the audience eagerly anticipating intimacy, and two male characters can't be close friends without that same audience dreading the mere thought of intimacy.

jediyoshi

I wonder if a developer could ever get away with making a story-focused game about two young men doing the kinds of things Chloe and Max do together.
Nope.

for them to kiss
, I don't really know how to take it. Especially when the few Let's Plays I've seen seem to gawk at the moment in the typical, depressing fashion.

I feel like female characters in fiction can't be close friends without a huge portion of the audience eagerly anticipating intimacy, and two male characters can't be close friends without that same audience dreading the mere thought of intimacy.

Is the subtext that the developers shouldn't be going the route they are or is this just commentary on people?

Is the subtext that the developers shouldn't be going the route they are or is this just commentary on people?

Nah, I'd never flat out say that devs "shouldn't" write the story they want to write. It just feels like "two very close platonic female friends," "two male friends coming to accept their desire for intimacy," "two girly-girls fall in love" and "strong female character in mutually empowering relationship with man" are a quartet of stories that are rarely ever told.
Lesbian romances are a bit of an easy-out for progressive writers of late, because they aren't nearly as controversial for the audience. Straight girls think they're sweet, LGBT girls and straight guys think they're hot. Only fundamentalist fogies are offended.

A player-controlled man making out with a male love interest takes massive guts as a writer because you risk making a huge (immature) portion of your playerbase feel uncomfortable.

Platonic female friends is rarely told because it isn't spicy enough. Pervy writers make them lovers for pervy reasons, progressive writers make them lovers because it's a great surface-level hook for progressive consumers.

Girly-girl lesbian romances are rare because writers (and people in general) still have trouble conceptualizing a successful romance where neither person fills the traditionally masculine role, hence why every fictional lesbian pairing features at least one tomboy.

Strong women with in equal/dominant relationships is rare for the same reasons stated above about making immature male players uncomfortable, both on the level of emasculation and due to seeing a male-controlled player character kissing a man.

SHINOBI
YOU PLAY THIS RIGHT NOW
GODDAMNIT

Nope.

for them to kiss

I also worried for a time about the fetishization of lesbianism that this game might light up in the fanbase. But eh. After reading so many negative comments about the devs being SJWs and stuff my opinion of its actual fanbase improved immensely by comparison.

No mention to a disc based version of the entire season.

But it's great. really tons of lovable characters and great use of her power in refreshing tropes and in interactions with the characters and world. Also, everything and everyone are charming as fuck

No mention to a disc based version of the entire season.

But it's great. really tons of lovable characters and great use of her power in refreshing tropes and in interactions with the characters and world. Also, everything and everyone are charming as fuck

What an appropriate username.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Nope.

for them to kiss

Some salient points on the 'big picture view', but I dunno if I feel that this was that sort of situation here.

It is a pretty big 'divergence' from the 50-50, but I don't know if that doesn't have anything specifically to say herein, at least without having a much more in-depth look at the various facets of the people playing the game.

That, and from my (admittedly limited) understanding, Warren's not exactly pushing for a huge fan-following.

I also worried for a time about the fetishization of lesbianism that this game might light up in the fanbase.

Care to elaborate? I don't know if I see where you're coming from barring a certain segment really 'feeling' that Max 'should' be a lesbian or can't 'just' be BFFs with Chloe.

Care to elaborate? I don't know if I see where you're coming from barring a certain segment really 'feeling' that Max 'should' be a lesbian or can't 'just' be BFFs with Chloe.

Kind of like how people go crazy for yuri in anime. I thought it would be a bigger thing than it turned out to be.

Nope.

for them to kiss

Eh,
it's true that there is some flirty subtext between the two protagonists, but speaking from experience, I felt it was more cheeky and closeness than actual romance, as I see close female friends of mine acting like this. It depends how you view intimacy.
Hell even I with close friends act like this sometimes, and we're straight.

Even if the two protagonists were men, I think I'd have chosen the "kiss" option, because :
1 - It's funny.
2 - It's the kind of thing I know we'd have done in context.
But I don't know how the majority would've acted

Some people saw a romantic development. Personally I just saw two close friends having a laugh.

But then again, interpretations and opinions and all that.

I recommend we all stop posting until a release date is set then
So where do we discuss Life is Strange then ?

Metroidvania

Kind of like how people go crazy for yuri in anime. I thought it would be a bigger thing than it turned out to be.

Eh...I don't think anyone's 'crazy for lesbians' outside of a general 'its hot' mentality that's attributed to straight guys, but I don't think DONTNOD is going for that audience at all.

At least in such a way that would get anyone to 'buy the game', seeing as how tame it is in that context, as opposed to other issues that arise in the first 3 episodes.

it's true that
there is some flirty subtext between the two protagonists, but speaking from experience, I felt it was more cheeky and closeness than actual romance, as I see close female friends of mine acting like this. It depends how you view intimacy.
Hell even I with close friends act like this sometimes, and we're straight.

Even if the two protagonists were men, I think I'd have chosen the "kiss" option, because :
1 - It's funny.
2 - It's the kind of thing I know we'd have done in context.
But I don't know how the majority would've acted

Some people saw a romantic development. Personally I just saw two close friends having a laugh.

But then again, interpretations and opinions and all that.

Personally, I don't know if I agree with your decision re:
switching genders still being included, but it would definitely be an interesting thing to look at the statistical variance if such a flip was available.

I agree with what was mentioned earlier, that lesbians are 'easier' to fit in among certain demographics, but as earlier mentioned, I don't think that's necessarily applicable here.

It could lead to something (and if you're looking for it, you could see some subtext in both Max and Chloe's conversation and some of Max's musings)), but as of now, it's more of an (admittedly assumptive) situation regarding female BFFs, and possibly, another avenue in which to help 'define' your version of Max.

A-V-B

I also worried for a time about the fetishization of lesbianism that this game might light up in the fanbase. But eh. After reading so many negative comments about the devs being SJWs and stuff my opinion of its actual fanbase improved immensely by comparison.

I've never read about Life is Strange being considered even remotely "feminism agenda"-ish online until just now.

People have actually argued for that? (Answer: Of course they have)

I've never read about Life is Strange being considered even remotely "feminism agenda"-ish online until just now.

People have actually argued for that? (Answer: Of course they have)

DONTNOD could easily be seen as having a highly feminist agenda after the struggles they had during Remember Me's development, which is fantastic and admirable.Their strife revealed some very ugly things about the industry that are now common knowledge.

That said, I do worry that a lot of things that look progressive on paper don't hold up under close examination. Even talented writers often trend towards tropes that reflect gender norms without being totally aware of it, hence why the story types I mentioned above are so rare.

I mean, people were calling the romantic connections between Chloe and Rachel, as well as pushing the idea that Chloe and Max would end up together, before Episode 1 was even out. The fact that they were right says something about the way lesbianism and female friendship are thought of in society, which is a bit scary.

DONTNOD is still awesome, but I wish they had sidestepped this particular plotline just for the sake of breaking stereotypes.

Metroidvania

That said, I do worry that a lot of things that look progressive on paper don't hold up under close examination. Even talented writers often trend towards tropes that reflect gender norms without being totally aware of it, hence why the story types I mentioned above are so rare.

I mean, people were calling the romantic connections between Chloe and Rachel, as well as pushing the idea that Chloe and Max would end up together, before Episode 1 was even out. The fact that they were right says something about the way lesbianism and female friendship are thought of in society, which is a bit scary.

DONTNOD is still awesome, but I wish they had sidestepped this particular plotline just for the sake of breaking stereotypes.

Uh, neither of those has been 'proven' yet, at least as far as I'm aware.

Not that I necessarily think
you're wrong on the former (be it one-sided or not), or that the latter could possibly be a future option, but it seems kind of assumptive with what we 'know' for sure, unless I'm not recalling/missed stuff from Episode 3.

Fret

A few screenshots of diagrams that Dontnod showed at the Bafta Showcase. The game used to be called "What If" so that's why it has that title in the top right.

Diagram from Episode 1 (minor spoilers)
nc0oU8e.jpg

Diagram from Episode 2 (ending spoilers)
LLFtnEx.jpg

Diagram from Episode 4 (text blurred out by Dontnod)
byT74CZ.jpg

To be honest its far more complicated than I'd thought it be. For some reason I was under the impression that choices only really matter "in the moment" but obviously that isn't the case at all

FluxWaveZ

To be honest its far more complicated than I'd thought it be. I was under the impression that choices only really matter "in the moment" but obviously that isn't the case at all

Really? The big difference that immediately struck out to me with Life Is Strange compared to what I've experienced with most of the TTG stuff is how the choices in LIS matter more in the long-term than in the short-term. That's why I thought the rewind system for decisions was even more clever since, even if you can explore your choices and see their immediate consequences, they have lasting effects that will be referred to in situations you wouldn't expect down the line. A rewind system like that in The Walking Dead, for example, would ruin that game's structure because you would break the impact of the decisions in it, since TWD depends so much on dramatic moments where the result of decisions are immediately apparent.

Fret

Really? The big difference that immediately struck out to me with Life Is Strange compared to what I've experienced with most of the TTG stuff is how the choices in LIS matter more in the long-term than in the short-term. That's why I thought the rewind system for decisions was even more clever since, even if you can explore your choices and see their immediate consequences, they have lasting effects that will be referred to in situations you wouldn't expect down the line.

Yeah I don't really know why I thought that, probably because it's so well hidden and all of the choices mesh well with each playthrough. Seeing those diagrams makes me appreciate the game far more.

Jesus christ, the ending to episode 3!!!

I knew
saving Chloe's dad would alter history dramatically, and I was expecting something bad to happen to Chloe, but it still shocked me :(

Does everyone get the same ending or is it possible to
let Chloe's dad die anyway?

Fret

Jesus christ, the ending to episode 3!!!

I knew
saving Chloe's dad would alter history dramatically, and I was expecting something bad to happen to Chloe, but it still shocked me :(

Does everyone get the same ending or is it possible to
let Chloe's dad die anyway?

I'd be an incredible feat to have multiple universe timelines for different playthroughs

Everyone has the same ending of Episode 3

JonnyKong

Episode 1 is currently on sale in the PSN store for just £1.99, there's no excuse for people not to buy it now.

And erm, sorry to the people who I've excited by bumping this thread. Can I interest you in a sexual dance instead?

Episode 1 is currently on sale in the PSN store for just £1.99, there's no excuse for people not to buy it now.

And erm, sorry to the people who I've excited by bumping this thread. Can I interest you in a sexual dance instead?

My 'OMG, NEW EPISODE!' radar went off... and I'm now filled with sadness and disappointment. Thanks JonnyKong!

The only way i'll ever cheer up is if I see someone does a sexual dance.

Top Bottom