• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

itxaka

Defeatist
Kintaco said:
Well I'm not getting any error messages anymore, but I'm not seeing anything in my Videos folder. I used: sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/"Time Capsule Disk"/ /Videos/ -o user=user pass=password

am I missing something? I did try out Boxee tonight and it was able to access the Time Capsule, so at least my horror night wasn't a bust. Damn I'm impressed with this HTPC stuff, Boxee and HippoRemote App impressed the hell out of me! I want to try XBMC but I haven't been able to install it due to some repository maintenance.

you can try with dmesg to see what errors the command could be saying that don't appear.

Just open another terminal and write: tail | dmesg

That will keep dmesg open and any error that mount gives will be show there.

Still I don't know if dmesg will show the error as cifs is part of the samba package so there is probably some logs on /var/log/samba regarding what is exactly happening so you could open them to see what is going on with the same command:

tail | cat /var/log/samba/"name of the file"

Samba is...quite special from my experience.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I was bored and decided I wanted to try out KDE 4.5 even though I usually run with gnome. Yeah that didn't go so well. While you can added the right PPA for the backports to get the update there is some big blocker that screws you if your running amd64.

Thankfully a quick google search told me it wasn't a problem on my end cause I was slightly confused on what to install at first when I added in the new PPA to make sure I was getting 4.5 and not 4.4.5. Problem one of the reasons it's not in the official main stream of the repositories yet. LOL :lol

Vanillalite

Not sure where the updates came from be it the regular Kubuntu PPA or if they came from the backports that I had added as a repository source per ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports but I got some form of KDE update and finally got KDE 4.5 to install clean through the package manager without any of the errors.

Only issue I am currently experiencing is Amarok won't play any of my files in KDE. They'll play in gnome under rhythmbox and even amarok for that matter. Yet if I try to play my files in KDE I get an error message

Code:
Too many errors encountered in playlist. Playback has stopped

No clue wtf is going on either. I mean sound works for everything else in KDE, and you can go into the sound menu for KDE and test the pulse audio stuff and it plays perfectly. Plus the Xine backend is selected as well.

Ugh looks like I'll have to google around after work and see what I can do to fix this shizzy because I don't even want to check out KDE 4.5 without amarok working to play my music. :lol

Vanillalite

Marvelous said:
Anyone here use BackTrack as their main distro?

Sorry I don't. There are a fuck ton of distros out there, but I've only really tried the main ones like Red Hat back in the day and Ubuntu and Fedora now.

So Linux terminal gaf I need help deciphering something. I can't get my usb gravis pad to work with Ubuntu because it's just detected as another mouse instead of an actual joystick.

I found a bug list here and they have a temp fix at the bottom. I'm not following what I should be doing in the terminal though.

Code:
quickfix:
use the command xinput set-props <device-id> <option-id> 0
to set mouse events and keyboard events to false for the joystick/gamepad
the respective id can be found by running
xinput list
and
xinput list-props <device-id>

I can find that my device id using xinput list is id=8 for my gamepad. I don't know wtf they mean when they said option-id though? Do I need to type id=8 or can I just type 8 for my device-id?

Anton668

So I seem to be having a similar prob with Ubuntu

Fulleffect said:
sorry i've not trolled the entire thread, but i've attempted wubi a few times recently, but after installing and booting into it, i get the load screen, but then it just goes black :/ on a 5770 over hdmi on a samsung 26', anything i can do about it? :)

cept that I cant even install Ubuntu cus my screen goes black before I get a chance to do anything.

I only have 1 monitor plugged in via HDMI

the loading(?) screen comes up, but then it just goes black....

Vanillalite

Hmm have either of you two tried a live disc just to see if you can boot in? Maybe it's a wubi issue? Though I don't know why it would be.

Flying_Phoenix said:
lfQX6.jpg

Well, fuck. Still stuck with Windows on my laptop. :(

Vanillalite

Yeah no steam sucks, but it's not totally ruled out. They just say they aren't presently working on it, but it does suck.

On another note Fedora 14 finally hit Alpha today. About dang time to if this is gonna release anytime soon. Granted it did get delayed, but still. Ubuntu seems to be rolling right along with all the Meerkat stuff which is good since the dev schedule is tight this go round.

Anton668

Brettison said:
Hmm have either of you two tried a live disc just to see if you can boot in? Maybe it's a wubi issue? Though I don't know why it would be.

Yes on Ubuntu, black screen. Tried a live disc of mint and It seemed to work. Tried Mandriva and got almost to the end of the install and...........screen went black. now windows wont recognize the drive....so.... looks like ima try to install mint.

What video editors do people use? Kdenlive looks nice, but I'm struggling a bit to implement some of the effects (multiple video clips cropped and stacked in the frame). Cineralla seems likenit could work for what I want to do but it is one he'll of a fugly interface!

Thoughts LinuxGAF?

Meohsix

a question for you linux gods =)

i installed ubuntu on my parents computer because i was tired of my father fucking up windows with viruses. They don't do much on the computer except Email and a little internet browsing. so i figured the switch to Linux wouldn't be a huge deal.

the one thing my father used all the time on windows was a MLB desktop widget (http://bit.ly/cMYQ1d) to keep track of the scores. After some searching the only thing i could find for linux was this Sports Fan Widget
http://kludgets.com/2010/02/sports-fan-widget/
using the kludget engine. but its a little wonky and doesn't work all that great

does anyone know of any others?

Vanillalite

MLB gadget/widget might be hard to find just because it's MLB. Not sure what the deal would be on being allowed to do anything with the scores.

As for a movie editor I'm waiting for Lightworks to go open source later this year. Dude who does the "This Week in Linux" videos on youtube uses Audacity/Kdenlive. That being said I'd also recommend OpenShot or PiTiVi. No need for anything but Audacity for audio though.

I helped my friend install ubuntu to an external drive, thinking that it would be contained entirely on that drive (in it's own partition), and while it is on the drive he can't log back into his windows without having that external hd plugged in, because grub needs it to boot windows. I had Mint on a flash drive and it worked perfectly like that, why did ubuntu have to be such a dick? how can this be fixed? How do you completely uninstall Linux when windows needs it to simply boot?

Apesht Mcfckface said:
I helped my friend install ubuntu to an external drive, thinking that it would be contained entirely on that drive (in it's own partition), and while it is on the drive he can't log back into his windows without having that external hd plugged in, because grub needs it to boot windows. I had Mint on a flash drive and it worked perfectly like that, why did ubuntu have to be such a dick? how can this be fixed? How do you completely uninstall Linux when windows needs it to simply boot?
Install Grub on the main HD?

tak

Based on the news that the Ubuntu 10.10 Beta includes an app store like system that will have paid software, I'm switching back to Debian. I think Ubuntu's move could have potentially damaging effects on the open source community.

On the plus, I'm enjoying my switch back to Debian; I'm finding it is not as bloated as Ubuntu.

Vanillalite

tak said:
Based on the news that the Ubuntu 10.10 Beta includes an app store like system that will have paid software, I'm switching back to Debian. I think Ubuntu's move could have potentially damaging effects on the open source community.

On the plus, I'm enjoying my switch back to Debian; I'm finding it is not as bloated as Ubuntu.

I'm mixed on this idea. If this thing takes off I could really see how the money making aspect really could kill the nature of the beast we are trying to create.

That being said I've always sort of hated the idea that open source software couldn't ever be something charged for. It just rubs me the wrong way, and hinders getting more people to go the open source route for their code. Just cause you want to get payed for your time spent doing work on your own big project shouldn't be totally looked down upon, and it doesn't mean you can't release your source code to the masses. I know this is a big debate in the open source community.

Brettison said:
I'm mixed on this idea. If this thing takes off I could really see how the money making aspect really could kill the nature of the beast we are trying to create.

That being said I've always sort of hated the idea that open source software couldn't ever be something charged for. It just rubs me the wrong way, and hinders getting more people to go the open source route for their code. Just cause you want to get payed for your time spent doing work on your own big project shouldn't be totally looked down upon, and it doesn't mean you can't release your source code to the masses. I know this is a big debate in the open source community.
Yep. I believe money shouldn't be charged (or at least, very very little) for the production of software, in the sense that production is merely copying bytes. Sending and receiving data is now so cheap that it doesn't make sense to pay for the actual lines of code.

However, that's different from the development of software, which needs a fuckton of money because it's really hard to do right, and people deserve to be paid for their work.

[Note that the cheapness of data transfer isn't the only reason I believe open source is good: there are also many educational, technological, moral and political reasons to develop and support open source.]

Problem is, how do you combine this? If you'd charge people for buying "copies" of software, you've got a great model where people pay relatively little, because the cost of software development is distributed over such a large audience. Yet I (and many others) believe that it's ethically wrong to artificially constrain software like that (usually using concepts like DRM).

Some companies seem to have figured this out. Of course, a notable example is Red Hat, but there are also many smaller companies who survive by creating open source software. I'm looking forward to seeing how Canonical develops itself in order to make money and survive. I think this is also one of the reasons people are so heavily against Canonical's proprietary tendencies. Not just because they believe proprietary software is wrong, but because as soon as Canonical finds out that one of those ways can help sustain them, they'll use it more and more and essentially turn into an open core company (which is a kind of "fake" open source).

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a program on Linux that does for Mac software what WINE does for Windows software?

Or are there VM software to which I can migrate my Mac User account (and maybe even run in 'Unity' mode)?

i had been using ubuntu for the past couple of months as my main os except for gaming, but now that i've heard about the paid app store they can go fuck themselves. if i wanted a paid os i'd use windows

back to windows 7 as soon as i finish pending work on ubuntu. i'll keep looking for another distro but i suspect nothing is gonna suit me as well as ubuntu did. argh

Koshiba

Green Biker Dude said:
i had been using ubuntu for the past couple of months as my main os except for gaming, but now that i've heard about the paid app store they can go fuck themselves. if i wanted a paid os i'd use windows

back to windows 7 as soon as i finish pending work on ubuntu. i'll keep looking for another distro but i suspect nothing is gonna suit me as well as ubuntu did. argh

There are ubuntu-based distros you can try.

I started trying out Linux Mint as of late and I actually really like it. It is kinda windows-like but I think it also improves on things as well.

i tried linux mint but i didn't like it

of the distros i've used (slackware, ubuntu, debian, arch linux, fedora, linux mint and freebsd though that's unix) i like ubuntu the most. debian was alright but the packages took too long to be updated in the repositories and last time i installed it i had some problem setting up something, can't remember what

i've only used fedora over a really short period of time, so maybe i'll give that another try if debian gives me major problems. besides those two i don't think i'll bother with anything else

Krelian

Green Biker Dude said:

I don't think a store with paid apps is a reason to switch. There will still most definitely be hundreds of free apps available in the repositories. Even if there aren't, since it's a Linux system you're free to download and install apps outside the repositories. To be honest, I don't think nothing much will change with the exception of additional programs that happen to cost money.

Vanillalite

Green Biker Dude said:

How does an app store = paid os? I mean the OS is still free, and so are a ton of programs. Not like you're gonna go into the Ubuntu version of the app store and Mangler or Opera is gonna cost you 5 bones. :lol

How is this any different from windows accept that there is a spot to find apps all in one place? There are free and paid apps on every system ffs.

PS: There are legit worries for this, but this articulation just baffled me.

itxaka

Defeatist
Brettison said:

Gnu encourages you to charge for open source. You can sell debían cds for 100$ and nobody will sue or forbid you for doing so. That is the whole point behind red hat and centos, they aré exactly the same minus the brands (by red hat request) and one is charged while the other is free.

That is the beauty of freedom!

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Green Biker Dude said:
i tried linux mint but i didn't like it

of the distros i've used (slackware, ubuntu, debian, arch linux, fedora, linux mint and freebsd though that's unix) i like ubuntu the most. debian was alright but the packages took too long to be updated in the repositories and last time i installed it i had some problem setting up something, can't remember what

i've only used fedora over a really short period of time, so maybe i'll give that another try if debian gives me major problems. besides those two i don't think i'll bother with anything else

Why not stick with an older Ubuntu build? I'm still on Karmic. Unless there was a major security issue you might as well stick with Ubuntu.

itxaka

Defeatist
Good news everyone!

http://www.betanews.com/article/Broadcom-throws-Linux-a-bone-open-sources-WiFi-drivers/1284063593

Wireless chipmaker Broadcom Thursday announced it will be releasing a fully open source Linux driver for its current generation of 802.11n chipsets. This means that Wi-Fi, one of the most problematic peripherals in the entire Linux ecosystem, will become a lot simpler to set up.
"The driver, while still a work in progress, is released as full source and uses the native mac80211 stack. It supports multiple current chips (BCM4313, BCM43224, BCM43225) as well as providing a framework for supporting additional chips in the future, including mac80211-aware embedded chips," Broadcom Scientist Henry Ptasinkski posted in a gmane newsgroup today.

With this driver source code available, Linux distributions can now include native support for certain Broadcom Wi-Fi chips. Until now, many of these required users to extract Broadcom's proprietary firmware and replace it with custom firmware in order for certain wireless devices to work. Even then, many Broadcom chips were totally unsupported.

panda21

Green Biker Dude said:

this is a very silly reason to stop using ubuntu. its still not a paid OS.

whether you like it or not their will always be commerical software, and some of it happens to work on linux. this just makes it easier for people to run that software, like mathematica, maple etc if they choose to. it doesnt take anything away.

hell one of the main problems to linux not being adopted more widely is the lack of commercial software, because there are things (like mathematica) that will just never get enough investment for the free alternative to be comparable, so you need the commercial stuff. anything that makes it easier for people to install and use it must be a good thing.

its like saying you will never use linux again if steam ever comes to it.

tak

panda21 said:
this is a very silly reason to stop using ubuntu. its still not a paid OS.

whether you like it or not their will always be commerical software, and some of it happens to work on linux. this just makes it easier for people to run that software, like mathematica, maple etc if they choose to. it doesnt take anything away.

hell one of the main problems to linux not being adopted more widely is the lack of commercial software, because there are things (like mathematica) that will just never get enough investment for the free alternative to be comparable, so you need the commercial stuff. anything that makes it easier for people to install and use it must be a good thing.

its like saying you will never use linux again if steam ever comes to it.
It does take away, the nvidia drivers are a perfect example. Development of the nvidia open source driver has been very slow over the years due there being an easy to use closed source alternative. The closed source version is terrible since it is very poorly integrated into window mangers, xorg, and the kernel. Closed source software on Linux often stunts the development of open source software.

I have no problems with charging for software/support or having a donation system, but I have a problem with closed source software creeping it's way into Linux. Linux is great because it's open source, not because it's a bunch of poorly integrated closed source packages like the nvidia drivers.

To each his own though.

Treo360

For the life of me I can't figure out what I need to do to install linux and subsequently android into my ipod touch 1st gen. Two days and I feel as if I have carpal tunnel from all the typing that I've been doing in that terminal.

Is this the right thread for this being that I'm trying to complie in linux (running Ubuntu 10.4 on a vm machine on my mac)?

Vanillalite

Treo360 said:
For the life of me I can't figure out what I need to do to install linux and subsequently android into my ipod touch 1st gen. Two days and I feel as if I have carpal tunnel from all the typing that I've been doing in that terminal.

Is this the right thread for this being that I'm trying to complie in linux (running Ubuntu 10.4 on a vm machine on my mac)?

I'm confused as fuck. Your trying to do what? Install android onto your 1st gen ipod touch?

itxaka

Defeatist
Treo360 said:

Are you using this manual? http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/OpeniBoot_Installation

Not sure what could be wrong, it's pretty straight. Which part can't you do?

Blackhead

Redarse
Nolimit_SS said:
I looked for something like that but without luck. Not sure about VM
This project, Qemu OSX, is the best I could find.
The goal is to get every Intel-based Mac OS X version running without modifications on virtualization software, including but not limited to:
  • Qemu (done)
  • KVM (done)
  • XEN (I won't do it)
  • VirtualBox (I won't do it)
It's not easy :(

panda21

tak said:
It does take away, the nvidia drivers are a perfect example. Development of the nvidia open source driver has been very slow over the years due there being an easy to use closed source alternative. The closed source version is terrible since it is very poorly integrated into window mangers, xorg, and the kernel. Closed source software on Linux often stunts the development of open source software.

I have no problems with charging for software/support or having a donation system, but I have a problem with closed source software creeping it's way into Linux. Linux is great because it's open source, not because it's a bunch of poorly integrated closed source packages like the nvidia drivers.

To each his own though.

but this isnt for drivers. the nvidia drivers, open or closed, are all free. i think its stupid that nvidia make their drivers closed source and i cant understand why they do it.

things like mathematica would just be so prohibitively expensive (in time for the developers) to make and give away free that its paid or nothing, in which case you can't make it open source (and i think that sucks but thats capitalism, not linux)

Cronos

Brettison said:

:D

Have to say, 10.04 has become (at least to me) a very stable version. I installed it two days after it was released. In the beginning it was sometimes a bit flaky. Annoying little things like hanging at the boot screen every once in a while. But after a few months and a lot of updates all seems to be good. :) Also I'm using the new Nvidia 260.19.04 beta driver, and I love it. HD playback with VDPAU is smooth as silk. So I won't be switching to 10.10 anytime soon. But I know a lot of people with Intel cards had problems with 10.04. They will probably a lot happier with 10.10. The intel drivers seem to be improved in that version.

Also most people will probably already know this, but Adobe finally released a 64bit flash player. Instructions on how to install you can find here.

tak

panda21 said:
but this isnt for drivers. the nvidia drivers, open or closed, are all free. i think its stupid that nvidia make their drivers closed source and i cant understand why they do it.

things like mathematica would just be so prohibitively expensive (in time for the developers) to make and give away free that its paid or nothing, in which case you can't make it open source (and i think that sucks but thats capitalism, not linux)
No, the same principles apply to non-driver software (see flash, skype, astronomy software, etc...). Software is software, they all have uses, some are just more important than others.

Like I said in my last post, the Nvidia drivers are free, but they're poorly integrated into xorg, the kernel, and windows mangers. For example, you're forced out of using gnome's native screen management system when you use the Nvidia drivers; plus, you have to go through a number of extra steps when you compile new kernels with the Nvidia drivers (something Ubuntu hides from you). None of these problems would exists if the Nvidia drivers were open source.

Linux is great because it's open source and free, which means I have access to the same tools and programs as some low-income family in Africa. I don't think Linux is great because large corporation X can save Y on its bottom line. Introducing an easy to use paid software service into Ubuntu makes it harder for open source software to compete in it's own environment. Plus, I think Ubuntu is getting away from it's own founding philosophy (http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy) by introducing a paid software store.

Bottom line, I'm not saying paying for software is bad, but I think this move by Ubuntu could hurt the open source community more than it helps it and it is steering Ubuntu away from it's own founding philosophy. I'm not going to debate about this anymore since I don't want to drag this thread through the dirt.

Vanillalite

Cronos said:
:D

Have to say, 10.04 has become (at least to me) a very stable version. I installed it two days after it was released. In the beginning it was sometimes a bit flaky. Annoying little things like hanging at the boot screen every once in a while. But after a few months and a lot of updates all seems to be good. :) Also I'm using the new Nvidia 260.19.04 beta driver, and I love it. HD playback with VDPAU is smooth as silk. So I won't be switching to 10.10 anytime soon. But I know a lot of people with Intel cards had problems with 10.04. They will probably a lot happier with 10.10. The intel drivers seem to be improved in that version.

Also most people will probably already know this, but Adobe finally released a 64bit flash player. Instructions on how to install you can find here.

I'm not even sure WHY I'm that hyped for 10.10 as it looks to be a small step up, but for some reason I'm super hyped!

Vanillalite

Okay I have an older box that's a P4 1.8 ghz with only 256 megs of RAM. It's got 80 gig HDD though so space isn't an issue distro wise.

I'm just looking for a good distro that would work with the low amount of RAM. I'm thinking maybe I should try Puppy? Any other recommendations?

Koshiba

Brettison said:
Okay I have an older box that's a P4 1.8 ghz with only 256 megs of RAM. It's got 80 gig HDD though so space isn't an issue distro wise.

I'm just looking for a good distro that would work with the low amount of RAM. I'm thinking maybe I should try Puppy? Any other recommendations?

My boyfriend enjoys using CrunchBang on his netbook and computer. It seems pretty nice from what I've used of it. It's pretty small overall.

Cronos

Brettison said:

Maybe put another 256mb in it and install Linux Mint LXDE version on it? I tried it on an older computer and it ran pretty well. :) You can find more about it here:

Linux Mint LXDE

Vanillalite

Thanks for the suggestions. Obviously since it's old I wasn't about to put more money into it to get more RAM.

Someone suggests Damn Small Linux, and I looked at that. Wasn't really feeling the instructions though so I ended up going with Puppy since version 5 switched up to an Ubuntu derivative now. Gotta say much impressed at least with Puppy 5.11 that I installed!

Top Bottom