• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

-KRS-

I don't think it's going to remove the actual desktop environment. lubuntu-desktop is only a meta package that when installed will pull in all the packages that is needed for the desktop to work. But if you remove the meta-package I don't think it'll remove the individual desktop packages. I could be wrong though and either way it is indeed confusing.

This is a problem with Ubuntu and the APT package manager system though, not Linux itself. Arch Linux for example also have meta-packages, or so called group packages, that you can install. But they're not treated like actual packages that other packages depend on like in Ubuntu.

Edit: If it does remove the whole desktop, which would be madness indeed, running the command 'sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop' in a terminal/tty will install it again.

phoenixyz

I only want to uninstall the email client, why the fuck do I need to uninstall the entire desktop environment along with it?
Fucking ridiculous.
You don't need to and it isn't. As synt4x said, lubuntu-desktop is a metapackage. If you remove one of the dependencies in the package it will uninstall the metapackage. It does not deinstall all the other packages which are associated with it. Those are deinstalled via apt-get autoremove. If you run sudo apt-get autoremove --dry-run you'll get a list of packets which are no longer marked for keeping because you deinstalled the metapackage. You can then simply copy this list and add them to the manually installed packages via apt-get install.

Angst

You don't need to and it isn't. As synt4x said, lubuntu-desktop is a metapackage. If you remove one of the dependencies in the package it will uninstall the metapackage. It does not deinstall all the other packages which are associated with it. Those are deinstalled via apt-get autoremove. If you run sudo apt-get autoremove --dry-run you'll get a list of packets which are no longer marked for keeping because you deinstalled the metapackage. You can then simply copy this list and add them to the manually installed packages via apt-get install.

I agree with Zombie James, even though it's not as bad as it seems it's not explained at all and the warning message reinforces the misinformation rather than explains what actually is about to happen.

Massa

This is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to Linux, or at least the flavours I've tried:

http://abload.de/img/stupid_linuxpfx8g.png[img]

I only want to uninstall the email client, [I]why the fuck do I need to uninstall the entire desktop environment along with it?[/I]

edit: It even wants me to remove lubuntu-desktop when I choose to just remove Sylpheed's docs. Fucking ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I don't think other operating systems even let you remove the default applications in the first place.

phoenixyz

I agree with Zombie James, even though it's not as bad as it seems it's not explained at all and the warning message reinforces the misinformation rather than explains what actually is about to happen.
While this is certainly true I think some knowledge about the package management system can be expected if you want to remove base applications of your distribution.

Tenck

Can anyone help me out? I just recently went the gnome she'll route. Before this I tried Mint and it fuck ed me over. Had to go back to windows and decided to give Linux one more try. Got it to work but now it won't connect to the internet. I had it download stuff while it was installing. For windows it's a bit easy to figure it out, but I have no idea how to do it on Linux. Anyone mind helping me out?

Massa

Can anyone help me out? I just recently went the gnome she'll route. Before this I tried Mint and it fuck ed me over. Had to go back to windows and decided to give Linux one more try. Got it to work but now it won't connect to the internet. I had it download stuff while it was installing. For windows it's a bit easy to figure it out, but I have no idea how to do it on Linux. Anyone mind helping me out?

Launch System Settings and then you can see the Network options there. What kind of internet connection are you using (wifi, wired)? If it's wired it should connect automatically, and for wifi there's a quick access menu on the top right.

Tenck

Launch System Settings and then you can see the Network options there. What kind of internet connection are you using (wifi, wired)?

Wired. I turned off airplane mode too and it just keeps saying connecting then stops after a minute. With windows I just had to install a network driver to fix it, and even worked during the installation of Gnome. But now it won't connect to the internet at all.

Edit: This edit added in while I'm reinstalling Ubuntu Gnome. So it's not my internet. It's Gnome doing something stupid.

Exuro

Hi everyone,

My little brother installed Ubuntu 12.04 onto his computer and he's having sound problems. Any sound from any application cracks/pops and the volume control in the upper right does absolutely nothing(as in he can move the bar left and right, press mute, and the sound is exactly the same.). I've looked around for a while and haven't found any answers so I'm asking here. He runs his sound through hdmi on his amd video card and I suspecting it has something to do with that but I really have no clue. Anyone have an idea on what I can do?

Massa

Wired. I turned off airplane mode too and it just keeps saying connecting then stops after a minute. With windows I just had to install a network driver to fix it, and even worked during the installation of Gnome. But now it won't connect to the internet at all.

Edit: This edit added in while I'm reinstalling Ubuntu Gnome. So it's not my internet. It's Gnome doing something stupid.

Well, Gnome uses network-manager which has been adopted by mostly every mainstream distribution these days.

Which distribution and version are you using?

Madtown_

Total shot in the dark, but I've ran into issues with my wireless completely not being workable on two different occasions and this worked both times.

http://askubuntu.com/a/215342

Schlep

Hi everyone,

My little brother installed Ubuntu 12.04 onto his computer and he's having sound problems. Any sound from any application cracks/pops and the volume control in the upper right does absolutely nothing(as in he can move the bar left and right, press mute, and the sound is exactly the same.). I've looked around for a while and haven't found any answers so I'm asking here. He runs his sound through hdmi on his amd video card and I suspecting it has something to do with that but I really have no clue. Anyone have an idea on what I can do?
Have him open up sound preferences and click on the HDMI output he's using. Sounds like it's not selected.

Schlep

It's set to hdmi. It's the only one that makes sound. The analog and digital options don't make any.
I just mentioned that specifically, because I've run into that issue where sound was happening but I had no volume control. Selecting the output device again in the sound menu fixed it for me.

NotBacon

Weird. A wired connection in Linux is something that should just work. That's one of the points of Linux, you shouldn't have to install drivers, everything should just work. Did you install via USB? Which version of Ubuntu and which version of Gnome?

Hi everyone,

Did you find a solution to the problem?

Felt like getting myself a little portable workstation to take my work on the road and ended up getting myself a cheap Dell e6400. I slapped Manjaro on it (used the net install and built up from there) and I have a pretty minimal, fast Openbox setup right now. There are a few holes, though:

• What are some good, lightweight Twitter clients? Tried out turses but it's not working too well.
  • Optimal settings/drivers for an Intel 4500MHD? H.264 hardware acceleration is broken (not really a priority for this machine) and the UI can feel a bit sluggish.

ash_ag

I haven't tried it yet, but I heard there's a language change bug in 13.10. Supposedly you can't use the traditional Alt+Shift shortcut, and the most popular alternative, Alt+Space doesn't work either. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

• What are some good, lightweight Twitter clients? Tried out turses but it's not working too well.

You could try out Birdie.

• Optimal settings/drivers for an Intel 4500MHD? H.264 hardware acceleration is broken (not really a priority for this machine) and the UI can feel a bit sluggish.

Hmm, it sounds like you're using a general purpose driver rather than Intel's one. You can find Intel's driver here, although it's not guaranteed to work, because it seems to be for an ancient kernel and Xorg version. Maybe there's a newer version, better check Intel's website.

You could try out Birdie.

Tried that but it won't install on Arch.

Hmm, it sounds like you're using a general purpose driver rather than Intel's one. You can find Intel's driver here, although it's not guaranteed to work, because it seems to be for an ancient kernel and Xorg version. Maybe there's a newer version, better check Intel's website.

Hm, seems Arch's repositories are out of date, at least based on what Intel has here.

-KRS-

Tried that but it won't install on Arch.

They have the development version on AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/birdie-bzr/

If you have the yaourt wrapper for pacman you can just install AUR packages with that like you would any other package.

Edit: And yes, Arch's xf86-video-intel package is out of date. Usually it doesn't take that long. I wonder if there's some problem. The version number 2.99.902 on the Intel page makes me think it's a preview of 3.0 though, so maybe Arch is waiting for that or something. It'd be pretty unusual to jump from 2.21 stable to 2.99 stable.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
13.10 janked up my Gnome install somehow. Get a blue screen when taking screenshots, lock screen wallpaper is different, keeps asking my for my online creds when searching, and some other issues...

Why can't anyone in the Linux world get upgrades to work as well as fresh installs? =/

zoku88

13.10 janked up my Gnome install somehow. Get a blue screen when taking screenshots, lock screen wallpaper is different, keeps asking my for my online creds when searching, and some other issues...

Why can't anyone in the Linux world get upgrades to work as well as fresh installs? =/

Because pushing a lot of updates at the same time is really dumb? I find that you're less likely to suffer from major breakage if you just trickle in updates. Which is why I use rolling distros exclusively.

You don't exactly have much choice in that department, sadly. Or are there any good ones beside Arch and Gentoo?

I am using Debian (sid) - people shouldn't freeze of fear just because it is called unstable. So far I don't have more problems than with Ubuntu, Mint or something similar.

Onemic

Ubuntu Gnome comes with a much better and ad-free user experience. :p

How so? I heard theres ads in some form with Ubuntu, but I'm not sure how. What else does Ubuntu GNOME change besides that? The website doesnt have any screenshots so I can get a sense of the workspace.

Massa

How so? I heard theres ads in some form with Ubuntu, but I'm not sure how. What else does Ubuntu GNOME change besides that? The website doesnt have any screenshots so I can get a sense of the workspace.

You can check out GNOME at www.gnome.org. While Ubuntu was originally based on GNOME they still share a lot, but imo GNOME is cleaner, faster and way more usable.

Sounds interesting. I'll definitely keep it mind.

You have to keep in mind that there might be some broken packages depending on your needs. I don't run a server - just using it for coding, Matlab, emulator/VMs. I had some problems with video editing because of some ffmpeg issue a few weeks ago. The advantage with unstable is that problems get fixed pretty fast - Debian testing once broken takes a lot longer to recover unless you can do it by yourself.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I rebooted my laptop ... this happened.

1377359_10200218339096147_1086545583_n.jpg

Halp.

Slavik81

What's the difference between Ubuntu 13.10 and Ubuntu GNOME 13.10?
Standard Ubuntu uses the Unity desktop, while the GNOME version uses the gnome desktop.

I really like Unity from a UX perspective. It feels like a better version of my Windows 7 desktop. GNOME is very different and though I find it to be very useable, it's quite different. It feels a little more limited. From a technology standpoint, I do like GNOME better, though.

Onemic

Whenever I try opening my ipod classic in Clementine with Ubuntu it keeps telling me that I compiled Clementine without libgpod support and thus it will run slowly. However, in the description of the package in Ubuntu Software Centre and in Synaptic, its says that the package comes with that ability.

Whenever I try opening my ipod classic in Clementine with Ubuntu it keeps telling me that I compiled Clementine without libgpod support and thus it will run slowly. However, in the description of the package in Ubuntu Software Centre and in Synaptic, its says that the package comes with that ability.

Code:
ldd `which clementine` | grep gpod

The package in saucy (amd64) is not referencing libgpod.

how do I find the location of clementine? I'm still learning how to use the terminal

Code:
[B]which[/B] clementine
The command which returns the absolute path to the executable given as the argument. The executable must be on the $PATH.

Explanation of the rest of the command:

Code:
[B]ldd[/B] [I]executable[/I]
ldd lists the shared libraries that the executable is linked to. By enclosing which clementine in backquotes (`), I use the result of the which command (the path to the executable) as the argument to ldd, which requires the full path to the file.

"| grep gpod" search for gpod in the output of ldd.

Massa

Don't know about your screenshot issue but the lock screen wallpaper is supposed to be different now, that's a feature (you can customize it in the settings panel). Your online credentials probably just need to be renewed, again from the settings panel, it's probably one of the new search providers that's triggering the dialog to update.

Onemic

Code:
[B]which[/B] clementine
The command which returns the absolute path to the executable given as the argument. The executable must be on the $PATH.

Explanation of the rest of the command:

Code:
[B]ldd[/B] [I]executable[/I]
ldd lists the shared libraries that the executable is linked to. By enclosing which clementine in backquotes (`), I use the result of the which command (the path to the executable) as the argument to ldd, which requires the full path to the file.

"| grep gpod" search for gpod in the output of ldd.

I did

Code:

the command went through, but nothing was listed

I did

Code:

the command went through, but nothing was listed

That means that the clementine binary you have does not use libgpod.

It's strange, when I look at the source package, it does reference libgpod, but the binary package don't. Also, I can only find one PPA that offers a package for clementine that does include libgpod (The development version, by David Sansome, for 13.04).

zoku88

Well, you could always compile clemetine yourself, if you really needed that ability.

Thought clementine was dropping the support for that or something. (though, the version I have installed links to that, so not really sure what the droppingw as about.)

Onemic

Well, you could always compile clemetine yourself, if you really needed that ability.

Thought clementine was dropping the support for that or something. (though, the version I have installed links to that, so not really sure what the droppingw as about.)

How do you compile Clementine or other applications manually?

Forgot to say that I just replaced Windows on my laptop to Ubuntu and I'm pretty much a Linux newbie.(Just started using in my intro to Linux class in September)

zoku88

How do you compile Clementine or other applications manually?

Forgot to say that I just replaced Windows on my laptop to Ubuntu and I'm pretty much a Linux newbie.(Just started using in my intro to Linux class in September)

You can download the source code:
http://www.clementine-player.org/downloads

And can usually go to where you unpack the tar.gz file and do
Code:
./configure
make
to compile

If you don't want to navigate to the folder each time, you could probably do something like
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
sudo make install
This will install clementine in /usr/local/bin , which is usually in $PATH.

You could also probably just make your own deb file, if you want the package manager to deal with it. Don't really know how to do that, though.

Top Bottom