• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man GnuCash better get a new icon if it's gonna be on display like that, lol.

Poettering talked about sandboxed applications during the last Guadec, I guess it's something of that?

No idea. Sounds like something that would be worked on through multiple releases, though.

Massa

That's good, but it's unfortunate there's not (at least from what I've seen) a UX ppa anywhere to download so it can stay up to date. No way I'm going to bother with installing that every few days (though I wouldn't anyways, since my excitement for Australis has dropped since I started using side tabs).

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Firefox Updater works on that version, so it should automatically update itself with newer builds.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Firefox Updater works on that version, so it should automatically update itself with newer builds.

Why does the updater work on the nightly build but not the beta build? I just switched back to the 24 esr because the beta build I was running wouldn't actually update. It would just flash a message and hang every time at "connecting to server."

By the way, has it already been speculated what distro the freshly announced SteamOS might run off of?

Snakeyes

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have a copy of this wallpaper included with Pear OS 6?

pear-linux-6-alpha-4-6nuh8.jpg

NotBacon

What's the best way to get silverlight to work on Linux Mint 15? I tried installing pipelight using apt-get. Everything installed properly but Firefox still won't display silverlight apps. I then tried to install netflix-desktop using the software manager but it just freezes until I close the window.

Also when I watched an mp4 video, the voice sync was off. Is this because I'm running it using virtualbox or is it something I can fix?

You added both ppas and installed it with you browser closed?

peakish

Separate lock screen wallpaper:

lock-screen.png
I saw an article which made a good point about this screen. 3.8 had the exact same design, but with only the main desktop background visible and requiring an extra click to change compared to 3.6 - changing the lock screen background just hadn't been integrated yet. The point the article made was that it was one example of design choices in Gnome that seem strange at first, but when the rest of the implementation catches up falls into place. Ie. they have a clear, long term vision for their desktop.

Of course I'd prefer it if things weren't put in until they at least could show the benefit of the design, but it's a minor complaint, hehe.

Madtown_

Why does the updater work on the nightly build but not the beta build? I just switched back to the 24 esr because the beta build I was running wouldn't actually update. It would just flash a message and hang every time at "connecting to server."

I'm not sure how you installed your beta version, but I think I pretty much just followed the steps as here [1] and it automatically updates with the rest of the system updates.

[1] http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Firefox-Beta-on-Ubuntu-Linux-295649.shtml

linkboy

Question regarding Ubuntu and distros based off of it.

Everything time I install a version of Ubunutu or distros based of it, I have a problem with my sound. Sound works with headphones or speakers plugged in, but I don't get any sound with the built in speakers in my laptop.

Anyone have any idea how to fix it as it's quite frustrating.

zoku88

Question regarding Ubuntu and distros based off of it.

Everything time I install a version of Ubunutu or distros based of it, I have a problem with my sound. Sound works with headphones or speakers plugged in, but I don't get any sound with the built in speakers in my laptop.

Anyone have any idea how to fix it as it's quite frustrating.

You sure the speakers aren't hardware muted or something? (like, is it possible that you muted them via keyboard key or maybe under Windows?)

Also, you can try using alsa-mixer to see if anything is muted.

Schlep

I'm assuming you've tried all the different output options in sound settings? Basic question, but you never know. Other than that, there might be an issue specific to your audio card that requires some extra work.

Madtown_

Does anyone have any experience turning the caps lock key into a fully functional control alternative? I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 / Cinnamon, generally.

I switched to having the caps lock key be a second control using the settings via 'Keyboard Layout -> Options'.

However, not all applications and keyboard combos receive the input in the same way as with control. For example Firefox will not do anything for caps+shift+t, but of course ctrl+shift+t will work. The behaviour is inconsistent, sometimes working and other times not, depending on the shortcut and the app. I'm hoping there's some way to make it fully consistent.

-KRS-

Perhaps you could try setting it up using the xorg tools instead of the desktop environment tools. I use my caps lock to switch between the swedish qwerty and swedish dvorak keyboard layouts and I set that up using xmodmap and xbindkeys. You'll have to google how to do it though because I don't know what to do in your case, but surely one could reassign the caps lock key into anything they want with those tools. And it should work more consistently then.

Here's what I have in my config files:

~/.Xmodmap:
Code:
remove Lock = Caps_Lock

Then in ~/.xbindkeysrc i have this (among other things):
Code:
"/usr/bin/switch_kb_layout"
 Caps_Lock

And in switch_kb_layout i have:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if setxkbmap -print|grep symbols|grep -q "se(dvorak)";then
  setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout se
  exit 0
else
  setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout se dvorak
  exit 0
fi
exit 0

Then I set it all up when I start Xorg by putting this in my ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
xbindkeys

I would think that simply changing caps lock to a control key would be more simple to set up than what I use it for, but it should give you an idea of where to start digging perhaps.

Edit: I found a guide here:
http://www.paganini.net/index.cgi/linux/nocaps.html

Seems you only need xmodmap. Essentially what you would do is to add these lines to your .xinitrc:
Code:
xmodmap -e 'remove Lock = Caps_Lock'
xmodmap -e 'keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L'
xmodmap -e 'add Control = Control_L'

Then restart xorg. That's it!

Hello Community :)

I am having some trouble with exectuable/read/write rights on my Debian installation. I installed (unzipped) Universal Media Server on my second HDD (currently mounted in /mnt/magnet) which I use for storage and stuff. The system itself is installed on the SSD. Now I tried showing a video from our last holiday and it did not work - there is a error "mencoder doesn't have permission" - I tried from the shell and I can't run mencoder from there either. However if I copy the whole folder on the SSD I suddenly can run everything without a problem. Is there any quick help so that the system treats the second disc like the SSD?

Kind regards in advance. It seems my knowledge doesn't go far enough for this kind of problem.

Hello Community :)

I am having some trouble with exectuable/read/write rights on my Debian installation. I installed (unzipped) Universal Media Server on my second HDD (currently mounted in /mnt/magnet) which I use for storage and stuff. The system itself is installed on the SSD. Now I tried showing a video from our last holiday and it did not work - there is a error "mencoder doesn't have permission" - I tried from the shell and I can't run mencoder from there either. However if I copy the whole folder on the SSD I suddenly can run everything without a problem. Is there any quick help so that the system treats the second disc like the SSD?

Kind regards in advance. It seems my knowledge doesn't go far enough for this kind of problem.

What is the filesystem on the partition mounted at /mnt/magnet?

Code:
mount | grep /mnt/magnet

What is the filesystem on the partition mounted at /mnt/magnet?

Code:
mount | grep /mnt/magnet

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/magnet type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,data=ordered)

This is my /etc/fstab

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=7be1c7d0-0864-4a02-a180-02668c54f4a6 /mnt/magnet ext4 defaults,relatime,users 0 0

In Ubuntu everything was made with some GUI tool - here I wasn't sure so I just used defaults to make sure nothing gets messed up.

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/magnet type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,data=ordered)

This is my /etc/fstab

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=7be1c7d0-0864-4a02-a180-02668c54f4a6 /mnt/magnet ext4 defaults,relatime,users 0 0

In Ubuntu everything was made with some GUI tool - here I wasn't sure so I just used defaults to make sure nothing gets messed up.

Ok. Have you verified that the UID and GID match what you have on your current installation?

In the shell, run stat on the file (and its directory) you are trying to open. The id command will give you your UID and the GID of the groups you belong to.

Ok. Have you verified that the UID and GID match what you have on your current installation?

In the shell, run stat on the file (and its directory) you are trying to open. The id command will give you your UID and the GID of the groups you belong to.

stat for dir/mencoder on the SSD (working) - the names in english are from top to bottom: file, size, device, access, access, modified, changed, birth (wtf?)

Datei: „mencoder“
Größe: 23458614 Blöcke: 45824 EA Block: 4096 reguläre Datei
Gerät: 801h/2049d Inode: 8259154 Verknüpfungen: 1
Zugriff: (0755/-rwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 1000/lancelot) Gid: ( 1000/lancelot)
Zugriff : 2013-09-29 21:04:27.743090353 +0200
Modifiziert: 2013-02-15 00:48:46.000000000 +0100
Geändert : 2013-09-29 21:03:43.303416359 +0200
Geburt : -

Datei: „ums-3.0.0-a5/“
Größe: 4096 Blöcke: 8 EA Block: 4096 Verzeichnis
Gerät: 801h/2049d Inode: 8259150 Verknüpfungen: 5
Zugriff: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 1000/lancelot) Gid: ( 1000/lancelot)
Zugriff : 2013-09-29 21:03:57.603295777 +0200
Modifiziert: 2013-09-28 18:23:13.000000000 +0200
Geändert : 2013-09-29 21:03:44.487405796 +0200

stat command for mencoder/dir on the HDD (not working):

Datei: „mencoder“
Größe: 23458614 Blöcke: 45824 EA Block: 4096 reguläre Datei
Gerät: 811h/2065d Inode: 11796521 Verknüpfungen: 1
Zugriff: (0755/-rwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 1000/lancelot) Gid: ( 1000/lancelot)
Zugriff : 2013-09-29 21:00:25.234873794 +0200
Modifiziert: 2013-02-15 00:48:46.000000000 +0100
Geändert : 2013-09-29 21:00:24.730857792 +0200

Datei: „ums-3.0.0-a5/“
Größe: 4096 Blöcke: 8 EA Block: 4096 Verzeichnis
Gerät: 811h/2065d Inode: 11796518 Verknüpfungen: 5
Zugriff: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 1000/lancelot) Gid: ( 1000/lancelot)
Zugriff : 2013-09-29 21:00:34.643176311 +0200
Modifiziert: 2013-09-28 18:23:13.294131131 +0200
Geändert : 2013-09-29 21:00:11.314429245 +0200

So it is the same for both it seems.

My "id":

uid=1000(lancelot) gid=1000(lancelot) Gruppen=1000(lancelot),20(dialout),21(fax),24(cdrom),25(floppy),26(tape),27(sudo),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),103(fuse),107(lpadmin),108(scanner),111(bluetooth),112(netdev)

stat for dir/mencoder on the SSD (working) - the names in english are from top to bottom: file, size, device, access, access, modified, changed, birth (wtf?)

So it is the same for both it seems.

In the output of mount, there is a "noexec" flag on your mount point.

Code:
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/magnet type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,[B]noexec[/B],relatime,data=ordered)

In your fstab, in the fourth column, you can add exec, which should do the trick.

Slavik81

Does anybody know why Ubuntu will minimize my games while I'm playing? I'm using xpad with a 360 controller to play Shatter on Steam and I'm thrown back to desktop maybe once every 30 minutes. Oddly enough, the game still has some sort of focus because I can hit start and it will pause while in the background.

In the output of mount, there is a "noexec" flag on your mount point.

Code:
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/magnet type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,[B]noexec[/B],relatime,data=ordered)

In your fstab, in the fourth column, you can add exec, which should do the trick.

Thanks. I modified fstab to:
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=7be1c7d0-0864-4a02-a180-02668c54f4a6 /mnt/hdd ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,exec,relatime,users 0 0

and mount | grep /mnt/magnet still says after a reboot:

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/hdd type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,data=ordered)

I just tried running a shell script with ./script.sh on that disc and still get "permission denied". I did a chmod +x before but still no luck.

Thanks. I modified fstab to:
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=7be1c7d0-0864-4a02-a180-02668c54f4a6 /mnt/hdd ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,exec,relatime,users 0 0

and mount | grep /mnt/magnet still says after a reboot:

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/hdd type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,data=ordered)

I just tried running a shell script with ./script.sh on that disc and still get "permission denied". I did a chmod +x before but still no luck.

From https://wiki.debian.org/fstab (regarding the mount options):

user - permit any user to mount the filesystem (implies noexec,nosuid,nodev unless overridden)

Is this an internal drive? Could you mount it at during init instead? If so, you don't need the "user" mount option, it is more useful for removable media.

From https://wiki.debian.org/fstab (regarding the mount options):

Is this an internal drive? Could you mount it at during init instead? If so, you don't need the "user" mount option, it is more useful for removable media.

It is an internal drive and thank you very much everything works now. Leaving the users option away did the trick. I guess I really should start paying more attention to the details. Shame on me.

It is an internal drive and thank you very much everything works now. Leaving the users option away did the trick. I guess I really should start paying more attention to the details. Shame on me.

It's fine. That's what threads like these are for.

Also, tbh, I didn't know that the "user" option set those options. It does make sense, but without that question, I would probably never looked that up.

Does anybody know why Ubuntu will minimize my games while I'm playing? I'm using xpad with a 360 controller to play Shatter on Steam and I'm thrown back to desktop maybe once every 30 minutes. Oddly enough, the game still has some sort of focus because I can hit start and it will pause while in the background.

To me, it looks like an application that tries to steal the focus.

I just tried it; I ran Shatter in full screen, and I started an application that would open a window after n seconds. I returned to the desktop and the game was still responding to the gamepad.

Slavik81

To me, it looks like an application that tries to steal the focus.

I just tried it; I ran Shatter in full screen, and I started an application that would open a window after n seconds. I returned to the desktop and the game was still responding to the gamepad.

Thanks... If I encounter it in other games, I'll have to track down exactly what program is causing that.

Here's a shot in the dark:
Anyone know of a software product for Linux I can buy (or is mysteriously free for commercial use) that does AAC encoding/streaming? My Googling has produced a lot of noise and not a lot of signal.

While the format is royalty-free for distribution (unlike mp3), it is not free for encoding. I would just use compile one of the available open source libraries (FAAC, FDK-AAC), but I'm trying to avoid my employer from getting sued for patent infringement. I can purchase a patent license directly, but the upfront cost is higher than I would like. Dolby doesn't want to sell me anything despite having a product that ostensibly does this. Am waiting to hear back from the other major patent holder, Fraunhofer.

Related to this, jack is awesome. I'm building Ubuntu Server boxes using jack for another application, and would love to tie in AAC streaming. There are lots of options if I were encoding on Windows or Mac (native Quicktime!).

Here's a shot in the dark:
Anyone know of a software product for Linux I can buy (or is mysteriously free for commercial use) that does AAC encoding/streaming? My Googling has produced a lot of noise and not a lot of signal.

While the format is royalty-free for distribution (unlike mp3), it is not free for encoding. I would just use compile one of the available open source libraries (FAAC, FDK-AAC), but I'm trying to avoid my employer from getting sued for patent infringement. I can purchase a patent license directly, but the upfront cost is higher than I would like. Dolby doesn't want to sell me anything despite having a product that ostensibly does this. Am waiting to hear back from the other major patent holder, Fraunhofer.

Related to this, jack is awesome. I'm building Ubuntu Server boxes using jack for another application, and would love to tie in AAC streaming. There are lots of options if I were encoding on Windows or Mac (native Quicktime!).

Not really sure if that helps but you might want to try Nero AAC - already distributed in binary form but only useable in a non commercial environment. Maybe if the software works for you Nero will sell you a cheaper license? (http://www.nero.com/deu/company/about-nero/nero-aac-codec.php)

Schlep

Anyone else use Chromium? I can't get search results to appear when I begin typing in the omnibox in regular or incognito mode. Works fine in Chrome.

Try contacting Fluendo.

Thanks, will do some digging.

Not really sure if that helps but you might want to try Nero AAC

Have contacted them via web form, twitter, and email. No response. That encoder produces the .aac in an .mp4, but presumably I could demux it on the fly by sending its output to stdout (easy enough to feed it stdin in the format it wants). I got it running on my 64-bit box (needs x86 libraries), but after confirming it can work faster than realtime I haven't done anything with it until I hear that they'll sell me a license.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Trying out the Cinnamon shell on Ubuntu 13.04. It's not bad, but I've become so used to Unity it's going to be hard to change over. It looks nice though.

Any way to get the typical green folders on this? It'd be a nice touch.

Hieberrr

I've been using Elementary OS on my laptop for the past couple of days and it has been absolutely fantastic. App and system updates take no time to download and apply at all compared to Windows 7 (which took me hours to set up with all of the drivers and system updates). I have both installed on the same laptop, but Elementary is my go-to OS.

Shit is cray!

And thank goodness for the lack of bloatware (compared to Ubuntu, which is loaded with a ton of shit).

Young Magus

^ How is elementary for someone that is use to Windows/Ubuntu OS?

I ask because I currently have 12.04 LTS but I'm looking for something a bit different (Read: Quick and/or Smooth while Pleasing Visually). Does any other OS have LTS? Would I like elementary based on my past OSes?

Hieberrr

^ How is elementary for someone that is use to Windows/Ubuntu OS?

I ask because I currently have 12.04 LTS but I'm looking for something a bit different (Read: Quick and/or Smooth while Pleasing Visually). Does any other OS have LTS? Would I like elementary based on my past OSes?
Elementary is based on 12.04 LTS :p it's super smooth and very very very well designed visually. Out of the box, it's very basic, but once you install Elementary Tweak, you can vustimize it more and make it more usable (especially when you install their Synapse tool). The only thing I hate about it is that you can't put any icons/files on the desktop. It forces you to actually... Manage your files in your Home folder.

Young Magus

Elementary is based on 12.04 LTS :p it's super smooth and very very very well designed visually. Out of the box, it's very basic, but once you install Elementary Tweak, you can vustimize it more and make it more usable (especially when you install their Synapse tool). The only thing I hate about it is that you can't put any icons/files on the desktop. It forces you to actually... Manage your files in your Home folder.

Seeing as I dont have any icons/files on my destop, that makes it perfect for me :D

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Gonna take my Linux+ cert which would also grant me LPIC-1. I really prefer the way basic system administration works with Linux more than Windows, even though they achieve the same goal. Are there any IT linux peoples here?

Schlep

If you want to speed things up, get an SSD. That was the single biggest speed bump I've ever gotten from an upgrade.

If you want to speed things up, get an SSD. That was the single biggest speed bump I've ever gotten from an upgrade.

True much more noticeable than a different CPU, more RAM, etc.

Just be carefull that you get one with SLC/MLC not those triple-layer-cells unless you have a regular HDD aswell for your "big" data. I still don't fully trust SSDs yet.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to Linux, or at least the flavours I've tried:

stupid_linuxpfx8g.png

I only want to uninstall the email client, why the fuck do I need to uninstall the entire desktop environment along with it?

edit: It even wants me to remove lubuntu-desktop when I choose to just remove Sylpheed's docs. Fucking ridiculous.

Top Bottom