• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Pctx

Banned
Are you sure the path is correct then? Looking at this page, it seems that modules usually go under /usr/lib/httpd/modules. https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-apache-addmods.html

You sure it's in /etc/ ? Seems like a weird place to put modules in. Either way, you shouldn't have to configure apache's paths if I'm reading correctly. To load a module you simply use LoadModule <module-name> </path/to/module.so>. So you just define the path right there and it should work.

I still think it might be something wrong with your httpd.conf. Probably something stupidly easy too, like a spelling error or a line that should be uncommented or something. You often don't notice those errors after working on the problem for hours.

Also check that the .so file has the right permissions.

Edit: Also this, from the link:

Edit: Oh wait, do you mean apache can't find the httpd.conf file?! That seems really bad. :S
Debian vs. CentOS sir. Different areas in which things go. :) I've looked at both and I'm stumped. I'm going to pick it up again tomorrow and hopefully figure it out. Thanks for the help though. :)

-KRS-

Oh shit I didn't even notice it was from centos.org. Sorry. I thought it was the official apache docs. :D

Still seems weird to me to have anything other than config files under /etc/ though. I suppose it's getting more common though. For example I saw that Arch Linux has recently changed their guidelines on webserver applications so now they go in /etc/webapps/ by default instead of /srv/ or /opt/ which I think is crazy. There's all sorts of stuff in /etc/ because pretty much every global config file for every application go there. Why mix in things like the webroot for webmin, rutorrent or phpmyadmin there when /srv/ is completely empty?

Emitan

What's the best distro for a tiny-ass screen? My netbook is 1024x600 and I can run into problems if in an interface isn't designed around it (menus and windows being cut off).

I'm trying Fedora for the first time and I'm not sure what I think so far. I've only really used Ubuntu so I'm not used to the interface (why does the top bar only show one active program?!)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's the best distro for a tiny-ass screen? My netbook is 1024x600 and I can run into problems if in an interface isn't designed around it (menus and windows being cut off).

I'm trying Fedora for the first time and I'm not sure what I think so far. I've only really used Ubuntu so I'm not used to the interface (why does the top bar only show one active program?!)

JoliCloud!

It's like Chrome OS except that it allows for native coding and offline apps like say VLC to be installed. It's perfect, and has been designed for netbooks!

The distro is irrelevant. You can change the DE (desktop environment) or WM (window manager) pretty much at a whim no matter what you're using.

A good minimalist environment is LXDE. I recommend trying that out.
ratpoison

edit: Brettison example of a distro with its own native interface is a good preemprive counterargument to what I say here.

Hieberrr

I'm currently waiting for this baby to be released: www.elementaryos.org/

Their first release was called Jupiter (which from the looks of it, wasn't so great), but the previews and the dev builds that I've seen for Luna (based on Ubuntu 12.04) looks promising.

And, yes, the UI is heavily based on OS X
KuGsj.gif

-KRS-

The distro is irrelevant. You can change the DE (desktop environment) or WM (window manager) pretty much at a whim no matter what you're using.

A good minimalist environment is LXDE. I recommend trying that out.
ratpoison

edit: Brettison example of a distro with its own native interface is a good preemprive counterargument to what I say here.

That's what I use on my netbook which I have a 1024x600 screen. Arch Linux with LXDE. Sometimes, but very rarely, I have noticed that some windows are to tall for the screen there as well. But if you just want to get to the part you can't see, billychu, you can hold ALT and then drag the window by clicking and holding anywhere in the window, not just the titlebar. This will make it possible to drag the window so that the title bar goes outside the screen. This works in all desktop environments as far as I know.

I'm currently waiting for this baby to be released: www.elementaryos.org/

Their first release was called Jupiter (which from the looks of it, wasn't so great), but the previews and the dev builds that I've seen for Luna (based on Ubuntu 12.04) looks promising.

And, yes, the UI is heavily based on OS X
KuGsj.gif

I'm skeptical. Their "Discover" section promotes "A big, open area for your running apps' windows", but all I see is the wasted space to the left and right of the dock. It has less space available to applications than pretty much any other UI I use. Their "Midori" hotspot notes… they must have been laughing while they wrote them (the below-image descriptions are nicely put together, though).

Now downloading, as I like complaining about stuff and then giving a chance. XD

Hieberrr

I'm skeptical. Their "Discover" section promotes "A big, open area for your running apps' windows", but all I see is the wasted space to the left and right of the dock. It has less space available to applications than pretty much any other UI I use. Their "Midori" hotspot notes… they must have been laughing while they wrote them (the below-image descriptions are nicely put together, though).

Now downloading, as I like complaining about stuff and then giving a chance. XD

Yeah, I never really bought into their "open area' spiel, because ... well, essentially every distro or OS has space like that for windows.

Overall, their first release seems like it's lacking x100. the only nice thing about it is the UI. But having said that, the new release (Luna, slated for Summer or fall 2012?) looks promising so far. They implemented a springboard-like thing, and some other things. or at least it's being planned *shrug*

I'll probably give it a try once it gets released. I guess I'm a sucker of nice-looking UIs :lol

Overall, their first release seems like it's lacking x100. the only nice thing about it is the UI. But having said that, the new release (Luna, slated for Summer or fall 2012?) looks promising so far. They implemented a springboard-like thing, and some other things. or at least it's being planned *shrug*

A whatwhat-like what now?

itxaka

Defeatist
Yes the .conf can't be found which is causing the issue. My problem is there is no documentation on how to get Apache to see that file. My brain is literally fried after all the reading I've dome today.

Wait, the .conf can't be found? That can't be rigth.

Can you post the exact error? More probably the .so file is not being loaded or it can't be found where it's supposed to be.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So, anyway, Steam being developed for Linux.

I installed it through wine a few weeks ago but didn't really get into it enough to try it out. If it's totally native, I'll have much more impetus to give it a whirl (and finally, you know, start buying computer games again).

That's just a link back to the same dude that everyone LoL'd at before. No difference what so ever on the actual news front in regards to Steam and Linux.

PS: My Ubuntu 12.04 Thread is Up!!

Hieberrr

I'm about to give Linux Mint a whirl to see how it is.

What's the difference between the Debian version and the regular 12? I know the regular 12 is built on top of Ubuntu. Is the Debian version "better"? and how so?

angelfly

Wow... what the hell does the writer have against Arch? Clearly some dev have burned him or something. Actually, the whole thing reads more like an opinion piece rather than an objectively written guide.

I don't think I've ever seen a distro guide that wasn't simply opinion.

flowsnake

Pacman doesn't need much configuration in my experience compared to Apt. Not to mention many of the other points are questionable.

Not mentioning AUR is bad, but I suppose if they're that impressed by package signing they wouldn't dare use it.

I wonder why Mint isn't included.

Izick

It's too bad there's no way to make the tab bar in Chrome Firefox, or other apps transparent, as it'd look great with the Global Menu Bar and Launcher that can both be set as transparent.

-KRS-

I don't think I've ever seen a distro guide that wasn't simply opinion.

Well, true enough. You are right of course. Distros are personal things. Still seems like he has something against Arch though. ~80% of the text about Arch is negative. And it's not correct either. There are signed packages now, but it's a rather new feature and not enabled by default. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman-key

Also no mention of the AUR, one of the biggest strengths of Arch. And I have no idea what he means with "extensive configuration" being necessary to get pacman to work like you want. Yeah wow you need to uncomment one or two lines in a config file to enable the community and multilib repo.

And I don't see how Arch is "poorly designed". Also it starts the whole thing saying Arch is famous for being minimalistic, but then it ends saying that Slackware and Gentoo do this so much better. Then why was it famous for being minimalistic again? Gentoo I'll give, but I'd say Slackware is about as minimalistic as Arch, which is it's as minimalistic as you want it to be.

I'd say if one wants to write one of these things they better damn well get their facts straight, because as I said, distros are a very personal thing and the people who use these distros which are apparently "poorly designed" take offence to such nonsense. Especially if it's an "official" guide. This so called official /g/ distro guide makes me think less of /g/ for it. A lot of people who don't know better will read this and think that Arch is a crappy distro when it's really one of the best for advanced users who don't want the hassle of having no real package manager in Slackware, or who don't have time to compile and optimize and set everything up like in Gentoo.

Oh well. End of rant.

Izick

Should I even check if Proprietary Drivers actually make my system better this time now that I've upgraded to 12.04? (On 11.10 it just slowed everything down to a crawl.)

-KRS-

I wouldn't expect much though. The drivers being proprietary means the issue is probably not something Ubuntu/Kernel devs can fix.

Izick

I wouldn't expect much though. The drivers being proprietary means the issue is probably not something Ubuntu/Kernel devs can fix.

Well, I have a bunch of work to do, so I guess I'll wait till tomorrow to see. I'm not hoping for much though. :/

itxaka

Defeatist
XFCE 4.10 is out!

http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1335571200

Today, after 1 year and 4 months of work, we are pleased to announce the release of the Xfce desktop 4.10, a new stable version that supersedes Xfce 4.8.

In the 4.10 cycle we mainly focused on polishing the desktop and improving the user experience in various ways. Highlights of this release are:

A new application finder that has been completely rewritten and combines the functionality of the old xfce4-appfinder and xfrun4.
The panel now has an alternative vertical display mode (a deskbar). What is more, panel plugins can be arranged in multiple rows, which is particularly useful in the deskbar mode.
A new MIME type editor that allows you to easily change applications used for opening different file types. The mouse and touchpad settings dialog and the settings editor were extended in terms of functionality. The former now supports tablets in a much better way.
It is now possible to launch applications and open files on the desktop with a single click of the mouse. In addition, the 4.10 desktop can display thumbnails and automatically advance through the wallpaper list.
The window manager can be configured to tile windows when dragging them to the screen edges. The tab window (Alt+Tab) supports more flexible theming and cursor key navigation.

http://xfce.org/about/tour

angelfly

MIME type editor, that's nice. I might try XFCE sometime, currently I used LXDE and it's fine.

This probably isn't the best place to ask this, but has anyone tried a tiling window manager? They look interesting, but it seems like I would find it hard to get my head around.

I use awesome on both my desktop and laptop.

Tantalus

Neo Member
Hi guys. Need help with partitioning before I can installing Fedora 16. I'm trying to dual boot with Win7 and was wondering if I would be safe to remove the partition on the far left.

It isn't labeled as System Reserved like the other OEM partition so I'm thinking it might be left over from a previous Windows Vista/Windows 7 installation. I need to get rid of one of these partitions to get Fedora installed and that one seems like the safest bet, thoughts?

EDIT: Or maybe not. After some more googling it seems that I might not be able to remove any of these partitions. Euuurgh.

So... installed Xubuntu 12.04, nearly everything's working well.

Except that the keyboard volume keys no longer work. The little applet displays fine, but other than that... bupkis. A cursory googling reveals nothing, though I'm not really sure what to look for.

I'm not even really sure what the Pulseaudio/ALSA situation looks like. I do remember it being a bit of a clustereff a couple years ago, I wonder how much has changed.

So, I should actually try awesome someday... and apparently that day is today!

emerging it as we speak.

EDIT: Oh, well, that didn't work :-/

&#8230;and that's why I stopped using Gentoo. Installs just &#8230; didn't always work. Well, granted, Gentoo does have a binary install option, and I was stubborn about using the build-from-source option exclusively, and it was a while ago. It's probably usually great now.

That's why I was pissed at that infographic from the other day. Pacman/yaourt is basically emerge but with the "works" flag enabled*. It has its flaws, but it seems to be a cut above in terms of having a rolling release distribution that handles things but tells me what to do when it can't.

* of course, pacman/yaourt lack all the other flags

zoku88

…and that's why I stopped using Gentoo. Installs just … didn't always work. Well, granted, Gentoo does have a binary install option, and I was stubborn about using the build-from-source option exclusively, and it was a while ago. It's probably usually great now.

That's why I was pissed at that infographic from the other day. Pacman/yaourt is basically emerge but with the "works" flag enabled*. It has its flaws, but it seems to be a cut above in terms of having a rolling release distribution that handles things but tells me what to do when it can't.

* of course, pacman/yaourt lack all the other flags

Eh, portage is usually fine for me. It's just the occasional package that has problems for me

For this, it's just that that release of awesome isn't compatible with newer versions of glib. The package maintainer in gentoo should probably add that dependency restriction, though (since a bug was filed.)

Eh, portage is usually fine for me. It's just the occasional package that has problems for me

For this, it's just that that release of awesome isn't compatible with newer versions of glib. The package maintainer in gentoo should probably add that dependency restriction, though (since a bug was filed.)

Yes, that's what I meant. But it tended to be critical, more complex packages that failed. And at this time, computers were slower, and the "install additional packages" section was a "leave it on overnight to compile everything" process, so I was miffed to find that it failed.

-KRS-

So... installed Xubuntu 12.04, nearly everything's working well.

Except that the keyboard volume keys no longer work. The little applet displays fine, but other than that... bupkis. A cursory googling reveals nothing, though I'm not really sure what to look for.

I'm not even really sure what the Pulseaudio/ALSA situation looks like. I do remember it being a bit of a clustereff a couple years ago, I wonder how much has changed.

I dunno how XFCE does things, but check the keyboard settings to see if you can set the keyboard model to the one you have. This usually works for special shortcut-keys in Gnome. Unless it's a laptop keyboard. Then all bets are off.

Also, I was really anti-pulseaudio when it came out because for me it was unstable as hell. But now I use it on all my computers. It has gotten pretty good over time. I only grudgingly installed it (and therefore moved away from OSS4) because Gnome 3 depends on it for some weird reason, but since then I've never had any real problems with it. And it works great with multiple soundcards. Even automatical switching of sound output devices. If I turn off my USB DAC in the middle of it outputting sound, pulseaudio will automatically switch to the internal sound card and output to the laptop speakers. Then when I turn the DAC back on it will again automatically switch to outputting with that. That kind of blew my mind because historically with ALSA and OSS it's been a pain in the ass to switch soundcards like that without rebooting or at least restarting the sound server and the applications using it.

zoku88

Yes, that's what I meant. But it tended to be critical, more complex packages that failed. And at this time, computers were slower, and the "install additional packages" section was a "leave it on overnight to compile everything" process, so I was miffed to find that it failed.

That's understandable.

Anyway, I decided to just create my own live ebuild for it.

Hey, is there a keyboard combo to disable and re-enable compositing in GNOME? I'm playing with running multiple DEs at the same time, and the GNOME 3 instance on :1 is suffering from massive artifacting. I'd like to quickly toggle off and on the effects to see if it'd refresh the screen properly.

Or it there like some "Win+F5" or somesuch key combo for direct refreshing?

zoku88

Hey, is there a keyboard combo to disable and re-enable compositing in GNOME? I'm playing with running multiple DEs at the same time, and the GNOME 3 instance on :1 is suffering from massive artifacting. I'd like to quickly toggle off and on the effects to see if it'd refresh the screen properly.

Or it there like some "Win+F5" or somesuch key combo for direct refreshing?

I used to know this.

Wasn't there something like: "ctrl+shift+F12"? Could be totally wrong, though.

I used to know this.

Wasn't there something like: "ctrl+shift+F12"? Could be totally wrong, though.

Alt-Shift-F12 is a KDE toggle for compositing. I tried it, but it did nothing in GNOME. Ctrl-Shift-F12 would take you out of your current desktop session entirely to vtty 12.

Top Bottom