• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Fuck notepad++ and gedit.

Sublime_text2 is the best modern editor. It's not open source, and it's not free but it's capabilities are over both of them. The testing period is unlimited so if you like you will only see a nage screen every now and then.

Try it, I assure you is freaking awesome.
I'll try sublime, hadn't heard of it until now, but I have to say I'm suspicious that it's superior to Notepad++ (on windows). Over Notepad++ on linux via wine ... probably, because a ton of stuff is screwed up and it crashes and I use gedit instead because Geany and Kate aren't all that great either.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I'll try and report back! I would like a better linux program for Javascript/Java/Ruby/Bash stuff... (QtCreator has the C++ market cornered, thank god)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Big PHP bug out there. It can allow some nasty attacks to go through. They rushed out an initial fix, but it only half fixes things. There is a new 2nd patch that as of now can only be applied a top of the 1st one to fix it all.

Anyone who's a sys admin might want to look into this if they haven't already and deal with lamp stack systems.

itxaka

Defeatist
I'll try sublime, hadn't heard of it until now, but I have to say I'm suspicious that it's superior to Notepad++ (on windows). Over Notepad++ on linux via wine ... probably, because a ton of stuff is screwed up and it crashes and I use gedit instead because Geany and Kate aren't all that great either.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I'll try and report back! I would like a better linux program for Javascript/Java/Ruby/Bash stuff... (QtCreator has the C++ market cornered, thank god)

Well notepad++ needs a plugin for autocompletition rigth? And gedit as well.

sublime has it out of the box. And can open folders which if you are working on a web and like to move around files a lot its a godsend.

Also, plug time! I am making a php social entwork, just for learning enough php to, maybe, lokk for a carrer into that or just compliment my skills. If anyone wants to give it a pull all the source is here (gpl3 of course!) YASN (Yet Another Social Network) -> https://github.com/Itxaka/yasn

Dragon

Banned

I've used Sublime for the last six months. It's a godsend. Performance wise I've never used an editor that can open huge files as fast as Sublime. Unless you count vi but I can't deal with that :).

I used Geany for a while and it was good but Sublime destroys it.

For your specific case, as well as CentOS: http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/index.html
This will cover most of the documentation you may need.

I would say learn about bash or perl. Both can run in windows, and bash is the default shell for most Linux users.

I cut my teeth on Cygwin for a few years at work before moving to a job that uses Linux full time. It allowed me to do quite a number of magical things in a Windows environment with respect to mucking about with directories and text files. Also, oyg, Cygwin has "/proc", and not only that, there's a "/proc/registry", which enables filesystem-like access to the Windows Registry. This was freaking amazing at the time, because you could use standard file access tools to hunt through and examine the Registry in an automated manner.

Well notepad++ needs a plugin for autocompletition rigth? And gedit as well.

sublime has it out of the box. And can open folders which if you are working on a web and like to move around files a lot its a godsend.

Also, plug time! I am making a php social entwork, just for learning enough php to, maybe, lokk for a carrer into that or just compliment my skills. If anyone wants to give it a pull all the source is here (gpl3 of course!) YASN (Yet Another Social Network) -> https://github.com/Itxaka/yasn
"Needs a plugin" is only a valid complaint if the plugin is hard to install or doesn't work. =)

re: the plug, interesting. Though if I may ask, why PHP?

I've finally managed to configure Sublime Text 2 to do what I need it to do, except running Python scripts (I code in Python 3, not 2). How do I solve this?

undu

I've finally managed to configure Sublime Text 2 to do what I need it to do, except running Python scripts (I code in Python 3, not 2). How do I solve this?

If the default python interpreter is 3.x ctrl + B should work out of the box.

Otherwise browse th Packages directory (Preferences -> Browse Packages), go to the Python directory and modify Python.sublime-build file. Replace in the the name of the python interpreter for the one you want to use. (e.g. "python" for "python27")

Ok, first impression: yet another modern text editor that has failed to achieve feature parity with Notepad++.
What features does it lack compared notepad++? I find sublime much more flexible.

What sublime text lacks is an integrated command prompt, there are lots of plugins that extend it a lot. Plugin magament is very easy using Package Control.

Hieberrr

How can I get Office 2012 to work on Ubuntu 12.04? I mainly need Word, PPT, and Excel.

If 2010 can't work, what about 2007?

Hieberrr

Does WINE work?

(How come you need Office specifically?)

I'm not sure. I keep reading WINE and PlayOnLinux and I wasn't sure which one to use.

I need it for school work. I'm slowly spending more and more time with Ubuntu and less with W7. So, I just want to have it on both just in case.

Izick

I'm not sure. I keep reading WINE and PlayOnLinux and I wasn't sure which one to use.

I need it for school work. I'm slowly spending more and more time with Ubuntu and less with W7. So, I just want to have it on both just in case.

Couldn't you do that in LibreOffice? You can save documents as .doc or .docx files in it.

Hieberrr

Couldn't you do that in LibreOffice? You can save documents as .doc or .docx files in it.

I can, but it messes with all of the formatting. Text boxes tend to be completely out of place among other things. Plus, I find the Office ribbon to be really helpful and fast.

PlayOnLinux is just an interface that acts as a wine tweaker so that each Windows app you install is as workable as possible. It seems a good idea to use.

Granted, if you have any difficulty with it, you can use OpenOffice (it is called LibreOffice sometimes), which is a set of equivalent and generally compatible programs as a stopgap.

edit: you answered part of my answer already

Izick

I can, but it messes with all of the formatting. Text boxes tend to be completely out of place among other things. Plus, I find the Office ribbon to be really helpful and fast.

I usually save the document in .doc or .docx before I actually start to type anything up, and that usually helps. I think it defaults to .odt and then messes up junk when you actually save it as .doc(x) for the first time after that.

Hieberrr

I usually save the document in .doc or .docx before I actually start to type anything up, and that usually helps. I think it defaults to .odt and then messes up junk when you actually save it as .doc(x) for the first time after that.

Hm, that's weird. I opened a .docx file that was created in W7 in LibreOffice and the formatting was all weird.

Izick

Hm, that's weird. I opened a .docx file that was created in W7 in LibreOffice and the formatting was all weird.

Really? Did it happen consistently, or was it just one time? I usually open files that were (I'm assuming) made on Windows XP, or 7, and they usually end up looking perfectly fine for me.

I think he was talking about when you create a document in OO/LO rather than reading one from elsewhere. edit: I was wrong

Anyway it should be easy to try out PlayOnLinux with MS Office, assuming you have the install disc for the latter. The absolute worst case scenario, which shouldn't be needed, is that you could always start playing with virtual machines. :D

itxaka

Defeatist
Ok, first impression: yet another modern text editor that has failed to achieve feature parity with Notepad++.

One of the things I look into my text editor is that is the same above computers and OS. Sublime does that very well. Its a shame that Notepad++ is win only unfortunately. I wonder why, I mean it's open source so why hasn't anyone ported it to linux?

re: the plug, interesting. Though if I may ask, why PHP?

Well I have never been able to learn any language so I decideed that it was time I got serious and started learning a bit. I dabbled a bit with python, making Python-adventure(which is actually playable!) but got stuck when learning about classes.

So I checked around and found out that people say that php is easier to learn than python, so I jumped in. Turns out that it is :D

So I wanted to make something useful that made me learn easily and that lead to a kind of social network skeleton which could be used kind of wordpress, but for social networks.

Massa

One of the things I look into my text editor is that is the same above computers and OS. Sublime does that very well. Its a shame that Notepad++ is win only unfortunately. I wonder why, I mean it's open source so why hasn't anyone ported it to linux?

Isn't it basically the same as SciTE?

What features does it lack compared notepad++? I find sublime much more flexible.

What sublime text lacks is an integrated command prompt, there are lots of plugins that extend it a lot. Plugin magament is very easy using Package Control.
The first thing I noticed was the apparent lack of context highlighting options, e.g. the "Mark All" or "Use Style 1" thing Notepad++ has. It does the single word highlight, so it's not all bad. But for comparison's sake I installed Kate again, and it actually does better than I remember (may have to start using it instead of gedit). You can select a word and all occurrences of the word get lit up across the document -- whether it fits the "pattern" of selectable text strings or not. This can be a big deal!

Other random features I recall being a Notepad++ godsend in the past:

- Sublime doesn't seem to have the multiline simultaneous text editing functionality Notepad++ does, though I may have just not found the magic button.

- I like the variety of "split view" options it provides, but I don't see an option to sync the scrolling across (2) views.

+ Leading spaces to tabs / tabs to spaces? (found this one in the menu!)

- It doesn't seem to have the ability to show hidden characters ('\r' '\n' '\0' etc) inline like Notepad++ does.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: Notepad++ has a ton of functionality that's useful not just in coding scenarios but also in the analysis of log files, program output, looking for plaintext breadcrumbs in a binary file (before giving up and opening your hex-editor). e.g. things I want my text editor to be able to do.

Also, some random gripes while I'm at it:
- Editing raw json for settings is clever, but it's also brutal. I understand it's "beta", but come on. If you're gonna do that, don't interrupt me while I'm working to get in my grill about how I should buy your crap!

- There's some quirks and things that don't work quite right I've run across already, but that's expected in a "beta" I suppose. Though... I'd argue stuff like the disconnected-ness of the find/replace across all open files is unlikely to get "fixed" even in a completed version. (being less of a bug and more of a "why'd you do it that way??")

It hasn't been ported because it uses WinAPI calls everywhere. Crap is bananas!

Well I have never been able to learn any language so I decideed that it was time I got serious and started learning a bit. I dabbled a bit with python, making Python-adventure(which is actually playable!) but got stuck when learning about classes.

So I checked around and found out that people say that php is easier to learn than python, so I jumped in. Turns out that it is :D

So I wanted to make something useful that made me learn easily and that lead to a kind of social network skeleton which could be used kind of wordpress, but for social networks.
Okay, I understand. I'd agree that PHP is a good starting point, and it's fairly ubiquitous. Bizarrely, it even supports RAII.

On the other hand... Its security model is (I judge) demonstrably broken.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
- Sublime doesn't seem to have the multiline simultaneous text editing functionality Notepad++ does, though I may have just not found the magic button.

Ctrl+Click in two different areas.

zoku88

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
So I just ordered this book to teach myself how to program in C++. I was wondering what you guys think is the best environment to program in? I've used Gedit before a little, but not extensively. I've heard Eclipse is good as well. Any suggestions? Favourites?

Massa

So I just ordered this book to teach myself how to program in C++. I was wondering what you guys think is the best environment to program in? I've used Gedit before a little, but not extensively. I've heard Eclipse is good as well. Any suggestions? Favourites?

I would go with something simple, but Gedit is perhaps a little too simple. Eclipse the opposite, it's too much.

You could try Anjuta. There are other editors out there but for a beginner you shouldn't really worry about the tools too much, just focus on the concepts you'll be learning.

zoku88

There's this idea that when you first start learning, you shouldn't really use an IDE. (I forget where I read/heard this....)

I don't program much, but when I do, I typically use Vim (with syntax highlight, of course.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sublime is smack in the middle of Gedit and Eclipse and takes the best features from both while leaving the worst.

Hyperbole aside, it's a damn fine text editor.

angelfly

My simple answer is avoid using an IDE and use either Vi or Emacs. Doesn't matter whether you're starting out or not. Both are powerful, well documented, extendable, and anything about them can be changed to fit your style. You also won't have to worry about portability since each of them are available on any platform you could imagine so once you get used to coding with either you'll be able to continue using it wherever you go.

For starting: gedit, kate, vi, whatever your favorite text editor is. Use g++ on the command line, and keep it simple as you experiment.

Once you get to multi-file and multi-library projects: there's only one legit choice these days (IMO of course), which is cmake + QtCreator. QtCreator is cross platform, if that matters.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jesus christ, what is up with gnome team..

Next "improvements" for gnome include copying the "slide the whole screen to unlock your pc" copied from windows 8, use a login screen way too similar to any windows ever and notification in the middle of the screen.

Goddammit.

https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/gnome-design-update-part-one/

I don't really see the problem? Looks nice, miles above Unity. I like the animations and don't feel the slider is a huge detriment to mouse/keyboard.

Massa

I don't really see the problem? Looks nice, miles above Unity. I like the animations and don't feel the slider is a huge detriment to mouse/keyboard.

Yeah and if you're using a mouse you don't have to slide it all the way. Plus keyboard works instantly.

Looks fantastic imo.

zoku88

But...why would you want it? It doesn't add any functionality and just wastes your time... Why slide to be able to put in my password when I can just... put in my password immediately?

angelfly

But...why would you want it? It doesn't add any functionality and just wastes your time... Why slide to be able to put in my password when I can just... put in my password immediately?

I'm guessing a Gnome developer complained that just putting in your password was too simple and there needed to be an extra step in between. It's hard not to point at the non-sense Windows 8 is doing and not making the comparison.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

You can. Start typing your password and it starts being entered, I believe.

peakish

Some people like good looking stuff. Doesn't need to be more to it than that.

Massa

It doesn't waste your time - if you're on a traditional desktop the only difference is that this will look fantastic but work the same. It does add important new functionality in that you'll get a notice of important notifications without having to unlock the screen, this being specially useful on desktops that stay on all the time.

For a tablet this is required functionality - you'll often want to interact with some basic functions without unlocking the screen.

If you want more information on the design you can check it here.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I would go with something simple, but Gedit is perhaps a little too simple. Eclipse the opposite, it's too much.

You could try Anjuta. There are other editors out there but for a beginner you shouldn't really worry about the tools too much, just focus on the concepts you'll be learning.
Thanks, I'll look into it!

For starting: gedit, kate, vi, whatever your favorite text editor is. Use g++ on the command line, and keep it simple as you experiment.

Once you get to multi-file and multi-library projects: there's only one legit choice these days (IMO of course), which is cmake + QtCreator. QtCreator is cross platform, if that matters.

I just want something to use, I'm an absolute beginner. I've only ever programmed in first year of University - but that was over 4 years ago - and that was Java. I've tried using Gedit before when I attempted Python, then gave up because school resumed lol.

zoku88

It doesn't waste your time - if you're on a traditional desktop the only difference is that this will look fantastic but work the same. It does add important new functionality in that you'll get a notice of important notifications without having to unlock the screen, this being specially useful on desktops that stay on all the time.

For a tablet this is required functionality - you'll often want to interact with some basic functions without unlocking the screen.

If you want more information on the design you can check it here.
It is slower. You just added something that wasn't there before. And you have to do something to get past it. Unless you input things infinitely fast, it HAS to be slower, from the standpoint of trying to log back in.

Don't know why you would need a separate screen just for that for a desktop. You already have a login screen (with lots of extra space). Not sure why you wouldn't just use that.

Whether it's something good or not for tablets isn't something I care about, because I'm using this on a desktop. I really hate this trend of thinking you can design the same environment for both tablets and desktops, though.

You can. Start typing your password and it starts being entered, I believe.
According the page Massa pointed out, to exit the lock with a keyboard, you would have to push the Esc key first. It's not terrible, but given the choice, I'd rather they not do that.

It feels like the gnome team is just continually marching to a path of making me hate Gnome. (which is bad, because I already hated KDE. So, I guess I'll just use awesome more... or something.

Massa

It's useful on a desktop too since you get notifications without having to unlock the screen.

As someone that usually has their desktop running pretty much at all times this means I won't have to unlock it to see if I got new mail or if a download finished, those notifications will be available on the lock screen. So the old process of unlocking screen -> checking things -> locking screen back again is now much simpler.

The actual process of unlocking your password shouldn't be any slower on a desktop, but you can raise those concerns on the blog link itxaka posted and get an answer straight from the designers themselves.

I honestly don't see how this can be seen as a negative, it looks awesome. Also, the old gnome-screensaver sucks and forces a small delay anyway when waking up.

peakish

It is slower. You just added something that wasn't there before. And you have to do something to get past it. Unless you input things infinitely fast, it HAS to be slower, from the standpoint of trying to log back in.

Don't know why you would need a separate screen just for that for a desktop. You already have a login screen (with lots of extra space). Not sure why you wouldn't just use that.

Whether it's something good or not for tablets isn't something I care about, because I'm using this on a desktop. I really hate this trend of thinking you can design the same environment for both tablets and desktops, though.

According the page Massa pointed out, to exit the lock with a keyboard, you would have to push the Esc key first. It's not terrible, but given the choice, I'd rather they not do that.

It feels like the gnome team is just continually marching to a path of making me hate Gnome. (which is bad, because I already hated KDE. So, I guess I'll just use awesome more... or something.
I can't see this being a big deal at all for anyone (really hope you can at least press any keyboard button to get rid of the screen though, that's even in Win8), but if it's one of many details one doesn't care for it's probably time to jump ship. Or prepare to look for more extensions.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

I just want something to use, I'm an absolute beginner. I've only ever programmed in first year of University - but that was over 4 years ago - and that was Java. I've tried using Gedit before when I attempted Python, then gave up because school resumed lol.
ok.

I'd suggest gedit, kate, or sublime2 (what we've been talking about for the past page or so) -- pure text editors with syntax highlighting (in sublime's case, a bunch of other stuff as well). If you're feeling very '80s you can try out vi or emacs, but my recommendation is: don't.

Anjuta/codeblocks/eclipse/qtcreator are more fully functional IDEs, and probably beyond what you want as a beginner. I've tried all of them, as well as some others, and for linux C++ development QtCreator is far and away the winner. The debugger even works! It's madness!

zoku88

It's useful on a desktop too since you get notifications without having to unlock the screen.

As someone that usually has their desktop running pretty much at all times this means I won't have to unlock it to see if I got new mail or if a download finished, those notifications will be available on the lock screen. So the old process of unlocking screen -> checking things -> locking screen back again is now much simpler.

The actual process of unlocking your password shouldn't be any slower on a desktop, but you can raise those concerns on the blog link itxaka posted and get an answer straight from the designers themselves.

Why not have notifications on the login screen?

There's already a bunch of unused space anyway (in both the curtain and the login screen.) I don't see why they couldn't be combined.

I can't see this being a big deal at all for anyone (really hope you can at least press any keyboard button to get rid of the screen though, that's even in Win8), but if it's one of many details one doesn't care for it's probably time to jump ship. Or prepare to look for more extensions.
To be honest, I don't even care about this particular thing. It's just like, this path as a whole.

I mean, I don't have 3.4 yet, but I remember there being something about every application launching maximized? I haven't used non-game maximized applications since I used a 1024x768.

I'm probably overreacting because I'm just increasingly disliking some of the things the gnome-developers are doing. I think I've lost the capability to respond positively to anything the gnome developers say anymore.

BTW, angelfly, for awesome, I'm trying to figure out a way to have to have awesome execute a random command. Like, a way for me to hit a hotkey and then enter in something like: ~/Documents/mozilla-central/objdirfsdafa/dist/firefox/firefox

Massa

To be honest, I don't even care about this particular thing. It's just like, this path as a whole.

I mean, I don't have 3.4 yet, but I remember there being something about every application launching maximized? I haven't used non-game maximized applications since I used a 1024x768.

Nope, that was never the idea. It only applied to specific core apps designed to use your screen state and not in all situations either, so for example in higher resolution screens they wouldn't start maximized.

zoku88

Nope, that was never the idea. It only applied to specific core apps designed to use your screen state and not in all situations either, so for example in higher resolution screens they wouldn't start maximized.

Oh, odd. I wonder why Ars said that during their review of 3.4. (or maybe they didn't and I read wrong.)

Oh wow, they changed their site design. I can't even find the article.

peakish

I'm probably overreacting because I'm just increasingly disliking some of the things the gnome-developers are doing. I think I've lost the capability to respond positively to anything the gnome developers say anymore.
3.4 has the same behavior as 3.2 in regards to maximised windows, except that core Gnome apps drop their title bar when maximised. Regarding the future, there's this blog post going into Gnome app design (extra clarification at the end of the post) (edit: this might be what Ars was talking about?). The only unclear bit to me is if their apps always will launch maximised even if they were unmaximised the last time you used them - that would be quite stupid though. I hope (and think) not.

They will continue down this path though, at least all signs point to it. I quite like it myself (of course since it's like all I talk about in this thread), it's kind of a relaxed and simple environment which I have adapted to with ease. I don't need every inch of screen estate to be filled with information and don't mind some things taking an extra click for that "serenity" or whatever I should call it. Not everyone is like me though, it sucks for those who feel abandoned.

Izick

I just don't understand why the slide screen is there. Slide screens are usually on smartphones and some tablets, mainly because (and more on the former than the latter) so that if the screen is accidentally, unkowingly in contact with a surface, the lock screen acts as a barrier so that you don't accidentally do stuff. (Basically the smartphone equivalent to stopping the infamous butt-dial.) Now on here, since it's for laptops and desktops, there's no real reason to have a slide screen, and it seems to be odd enough, seeing as this interface will be used with a mouse and keyboard, instead of fingers on a touchscreen.

Besides that, I just honestly don't see the appeal. I love eyecandy, especially good UI design, but I just don't see the reason for this. Sure, it looks good, but it looks no better to me than the login screen on Ubuntu/Unity 12.04. Just seems like there's no real purpose or reason for it.

Top Bottom