• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
it seems that I'm able to install any desktop environment I want, including XFCE. What a fantastic environment, very customizable.

peakish

How's the mail client?

IDK... for personal use I always just use the gmail web client. Sorry... :/
It's just Geary, I'm running it myself in Arch at the moment. It's moving nicely towards being a good Gmail interface, labels and all, but so many features are lacking right now (multiple accounts, searching, etc) that it's hard to recommend. I expect it to be awesome at some point in the future.

zoku88

It's just Geary, I'm running it myself in Arch at the moment. It's moving nicely towards being a good Gmail interface, labels and all, but so many features are lacking right now (multiple accounts, searching, etc) that it's hard to recommend. I expect it to be awesome at some point in the future.

That's a deal breaker :-/

Hmm, wasn't Elementary using Postler before? They switched mail clients?

I use Thunderbird right now. It's ok, but I would like a better client... I don't really even know why I'm meh about Thunderbird, though...

zoku88

are there better apps than Rhythmbox? Preferably with iPod support.

Not sure about ipod support, since I don't use one, but here are some other applications that people use.

Banshee -- I thought this was Ubuntu default
Amarok
Clementine -- A fork of Amarok, I think

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Not sure about ipod support, since I don't use one, but here are some other applications that people use.

Banshee -- I thought this was Ubuntu default
Amarok
Clementine -- A fork of Amarok, I think

Ubuntu switched back. Banshee as default didn't last long.

subversus

I tried Amarok yesterday and it was horrible. I couldn't figure out how to put music on iPod. Lyrics are a nice touch though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No idea, but I am surprised Ubuntu kept such a power user feature, especially one that makes it easy to switch from their "vision" of Ubuntu.

angelfly

No idea, but I am surprised Ubuntu kept such a power user feature, especially one that makes it easy to switch from their "vision" of Ubuntu.

I really wouldn't call that a power user feature.

I think SLIM might not have a dropdown selection by default. I think it just reads xinitrc.
The default for slim is for multiple session support. It just doesn't use a menu to switch between them.

zoku88

The default for slim is for multiple session support. It just doesn't use a menu to switch between them.

Oh, didn't know.

I only have SLiM on my netbook, which only has i3 on it, which means I'm taken directly to username + password.

zoku88

Clementine is the best. It's a fork or clone (not sure which) of the old Amarok 1.X series, which was awesome. Not the current Amarok, which is not awesome.
I actually use Clementine.

Sometimes my CPU usage goes to 100%, though. I wonder what's up with that.

Hai Linux GAF!

I am come to you from Elementary OS Luna! I come in peace via a live boot off of a usb drive. I offer you screenshots I just took of the OS. I hope we can be friends. :p

That's a pretty nifty background. Gives me a "hey, I could actually be productive with this wallpaper!" vibe.

The interface is kind of blah. Screens are getting vertically smaller and horizontally larger, and yet they jump on the bandwagon of taking up vertical real estate. Is it possible to move the panels to the sides in this environment?

zoku88

Oh, I actually tried it out a bit more. So, you actually edit /etc/slim.conf to edit in the other sessions and use F1 to select from them (and edit xinitrc to add a case statement?)

Say, is there any word on xfce adding standardized functionality for manual screen locking? It's kind of annoying to have to manually create an icon for screen locking for each new user on each computer at my workplace. Autolock (on screensaver) works find, but we have sensitive information here that could be potentially spread unacceptably, so sometimes the scientists like to know their session is locked immediately.

Because they never, ever log off for some reason.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
System76 announced a new laptop today, the Bonobo Extreme.

Basically, they took a look at Ultrabooks and said, "NOPE!"

bonx6-faeafe23686f25bec6a1690c58acc12b.jpg

• 17.3" screen
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 3 TB hard drive
  • 8.6 pounds
    KuGsj.gif

Vanillalite

That shit looks like a frick'n tank. The bottom half (aka not the screen part) reminds me of those fat panasonic tough books. Screen is big as shit, and that thing is heavy as a mofo.

Kudos for System 76 for saying fuck it with this device, but I'm not sure who it'll appeal to. LOL

PS: I wish System 76 or another Linux vendor had a solid 13 ultrabook/air competitor.

subversus

So I still have these problems on my Desktop with 12.04 - every time I start Transmission and something downloads it hangs my system for like 10 seconds every 30 seconds or so. It's basically not possible to get any stuff done while Transmission is running.

I have no problems with it on my laptop with 12.10 running.

zoku88

So I still have these problems on my Desktop with 12.04 - every time I start Transmission and something downloads it hangs my system for like 10 seconds every 30 seconds or so. It's basically not possible to get any stuff done while Transmission is running.

Do you have problems with other downloads?

Could be a HDD problem.

Vanillalite

Any reason you don't just upgrade your desktop to 12.10 like your laptop? Maybe that'll fix things.

Vanillalite

So I had an idea that I've seen done a lot, but I never thought about till now.

So how do you take a picture of a login/lock screen? I see blogs and stuff have the pics all the time, but I for the life of me can't figure out how I could do it if I wanted to outside of I guess just taking a snapshot of an OS running in a virtual.

How would one accomplish this on a fully installed instance of an OS?

zoku88

So I had an idea that I've seen done a lot, but I never thought about till now.

So how do you take a picture of a login/lock screen? I see blogs and stuff have the pics all the time, but I for the life of me can't figure out how I could do it if I wanted to outside of I guess just taking a snapshot of an OS running in a virtual.

How would one accomplish this on a fully installed instance of an OS?

They might be running it in Xephyr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xephyr

Vanillalite

I wish the latest version of FF hit the Ubuntu update channel faster. Always seems to be a few days after everyone else has gotten the update on other platforms.

Visceir

I've been trying to setup a Postfix mailserver using Ubuntu 12.04 server version. I got the postfix part working but all the guides on the internet for configuring Dovecot seem to be using Dovecot 1 that has a waaaay different configuration file than the one my installed dovecot has (which I assume is Dovecot 2).

Can anyone link me to an easily understandable guide for setting up Dovecot 2 or should I just get an older version of Ubuntu that comes with Dovecot1?

Is there perhaps a ~*definitive best version*~ of ubuntu/linux I should use for mailserver?

I've been trying to setup a Postfix mailserver using Ubuntu 12.04 server version. I got the postfix part working but all the guides on the internet for configuring Dovecot seem to be using Dovecot 1 that has a waaaay different configuration file than the one my installed dovecot has (which I assume is Dovecot 2).

Can anyone link me to an easily understandable guide for setting up Dovecot 2 or should I just get an older version of Ubuntu that comes with Dovecot1?

Is there perhaps a ~*definitive best version*~ of ubuntu/linux I should use for mailserver?

Four methods, in order of decreasing terribleness:

_____
Method 1: You can try to add a repository that holds the older version:

As said in http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PrebuiltBinaries#Debian

Add the following line to your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file

Then run "sudo apt-get install dovecot dovecot-common dovecot-imapd"

I don't trust the above at all. Somebody else here should chime in and verify that the deb files there might work with current ubuntu.

_____
Method 2: You can download and install the older version the old fashioned way. Generally, here's how you would do it for this particular program -- stuff starting with a "$" just means that you type that in a terminal session (don't type the actual "$"):

Note: The below requires certain standard programs (like "make", "gcc-g++", "zlib-devel", and soforth) to be installed for the compiling to work. You'll get errors if it doesn't work saying arcane things like "cannot find libblorp.so.5". We can help you with that. Well, Brettison can help you with that.

Code:
(Open up a terminal)
$ sudo su 
(type your password)
$ mkdir /usr/local/src; cd /usr/local/src
$ wget [url]http://www.dovecot.org/releases/1.2/dovecot-1.2.17.tar.gz[/url]
$ tar -zxf dovecot-1.2.17.tar.gz
$ cd dovecot-1.2.17
$ make
(wait a long time)
$ make install
$ exit

(there are slightly safer ways to go about it than the above, but this isn't downright terrible or anything)

Then you can follow your tutorial. The only real difference is that if the tutorial says to go to "/usr/something", you would have to go to "/usr/local/something" instead, because package managers install to the former, and make installs to the latter (by default).

Note that once you have Dovecot 1.2 installed, you can try out "webmin", a popular program that handles configuration via web interface for many server programs. It's awesome.

_____
Method 3: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo

There's the official documentation for Dovecot 2.x.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/VirtualUserFlatFilesPostfix ← this in particular seems to be the simplest howto involving postfix.

The tutorial at "http://www.allgoodbits.org/articles/view/26" doesn't seem too terrible, either.

_____
Method 4: Dovecot is for ninnies. Use Courier instead. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Courier

I hope some of this is helpful and that it doesn't totally overwhelm you.

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
I'm getting an odd error I was wondering if I could get some help with. I am trying to install Ubuntu using Wubi. Everything downloads and installs fine, but when I reboot the computer, to takes me to Grub. While in Grub, it tells me the linux kernal is not installed. Eventually, I just have to reboot. It shows ubuntu in my windows boot loader on restart. If I select it, then I just get a flashing underscore and cannot do anything.

The same actually happened using Linux Mint's windows installer, so I am assuming I am doing something wrong.

Vanillalite

I'm getting an odd error I was wondering if I could get some help with. I am trying to install Ubuntu using Wubi. Everything downloads and installs fine, but when I reboot the computer, to takes me to Grub. While in Grub, it tells me the linux kernal is not installed. Eventually, I just have to reboot. It shows ubuntu in my windows boot loader on restart. If I select it, then I just get a flashing underscore and cannot do anything.

The same actually happened using Linux Mint's windows installer, so I am assuming I am doing something wrong.

Check out this Wubi Mega Thread on the Official Ubuntu Forums

If you need me to I can ask a question in the thread if you get me the exact error message you get when you reboot.

tfur

I would suggest CentOS 6.3, and just yum install the latest Postfix and Dovecot.

Confirm config from directions from step 3 above,
server only imap and lmtp protocols
confirm your mailbox type
create ssl keys and set force ssl = required for SSL/TLS (/etc/dovecot/conf.d/*)
yum update selinux-policy-*

after you are happy, make sure you chkconfig dovecot on

done

test
Run wireshark while testing connections to check for encryption during auth and transport.

Visceir

Valuable advice

Thanks for that. I found another guide that made configuring Dovecot 2 seem a bit more simple. I'm pretty sure I'm still doing something wrong though as things are still not working as they should be.

I need to set up a mailserver for ~40 e-mail addresses with aliases. I think I got the postfix part working, as I could send e-mail to the address I had created and read it in my server. I've never gotten it to work so that I could actually add the account to my outlook/thunderbird mail client and receive the e-mails there. I assume that is primarly a Dovecot problem and I just haven't configured it right?

What's the better way to go about managing e-mail accounts in postfix anyway? Can I just create user accounts and use those or should I do it with mysql?

At this point I'm not even sure in what format the mail user name exist. If my domain is xxx.org and my hostname is mail and my FQDN is mail.xxx.org then are the mail accounts username.xxx.org or are they username.mail.xxx.org?

I'm gonna reinstall the server again and see how well I can handle configuring Courier.

Edit: Is there a good web interface for managing all the postfix accounts?

Vanillalite

Anyone heard of the program Bleach Bit?

I just randomly found it in the software center, and it appears to be like CCleaner for Linux. Just installed it, and I'm about to give it a whirl. I'll report back with results.

Thanks for that. I found another guide that made configuring Dovecot 2 seem a bit more simple. I'm pretty sure I'm still doing something wrong though as things are still not working as they should be.

I need to set up a mailserver for ~40 e-mail addresses with aliases. I think I got the postfix part working, as I could send e-mail to the address I had created and read it in my server. I've never gotten it to work so that I could actually add the account to my outlook/thunderbird mail client and receive the e-mails there. I assume that is primarly a Dovecot problem and I just haven't configured it right?

What's the better way to go about managing e-mail accounts in postfix anyway? Can I just create user accounts and use those or should I do it with mysql?

At this point I'm not even sure in what format the mail user name exist. If my domain is xxx.org and my hostname is mail and my FQDN is mail.xxx.org then are the mail accounts username.xxx.org or are they username.mail.xxx.org?

I'm gonna reinstall the server again and see how well I can handle configuring Courier.

Edit: Is there a good web interface for managing all the postfix accounts?

http://postfixmail.com/blog/index.php/using-webmin-to-set-up-postfix/
Webmin, while not yet supporting your version of dovecot, is potentially very useful for interactively configuring postfix. I note that it allows you to select between serving the whole domain or just the machine.

If mail accounts are tied to the computer's user accounts, then webmin also has a built-in module for adding and removing users.

This is all a little out of my sphere of knowledge, since I used courier instead of dovecot to serve mail and qmail instead of postfix (on account of the former's finesse with virtual domains) for delivering mail, but they're all generally not horrible to work with.

edit: I recommend using regular accounts instead of a database. Easier to figure out user problems if something odd goes wrong, and it's easier to set up.

edit: I am assuming in the above that you already had your DNS server set up so that your mail server is listed in the MX field. You might also want to look into DNS level anti-spam measures, that thingy I can't think of where you put in a list of valid Skype servers for your domain so that other servers can verify that messages aren't being injected NY a spammers.

I am having a problem with xorg.conf and my dual monitor setup.

I set it with nvidia-settings (gksudo), seems to work fine, apply/save to xorg.conf file. All seems good. I lock the screen, leave the PC, and when I come back it has reverted to the old settings (monitor layout switched, desktop on wrong monitor).

I googled a lot but nothing seemed to help. I'd have to check but I believe the nvidia drivers are 303.xx ? From earlier this year or so, IIRC. If I need to update those drivers I'll have to wait until I can bring my external in, too paranoid about my work computer.

edit: Seems to only reset it when it goes into suspend mode (after 10 min of inactivity, or whatever it is). Just locking the screen and turning off suspend seems to fix it for now.

Visceir

edit: I am assuming in the above that you already had your DNS server set up so that your mail server is listed in the MX field. You might also want to look into DNS level anti-spam measures, that thingy I can't think of where you put in a list of valid Skype servers for your domain so that other servers can verify that messages aren't being injected NY a spammers.

Yeah, the port forwarding and MX stuff was what I did first before I got started.

I finally got it working.

Seems like webmin works with Dovecot 2 as I installed it and it works fine. I still prefer to do my config editing on command line though, but it's nice to have it to create new users and such.

Turns out the username I needed to use for thuderbird was simply "username", not "username.domain.com" and I had a few other configurating settings off, had to fix the maildir settings and then it started working properly.

I set it up without SSL authentication though and I still need to figure out that part. Might it be best if I got a certificate from https://www.startssl.com/?

Yeah, the port forwarding and MX stuff was what I did first before I got started.

I finally got it working.

Seems like webmin works with Dovecot 2 as I installed it and it works fine. I still prefer to do my config editing on command line though, but it's nice to have it to create new users and such.

The cool thing is that you can use the interface to easily do something, and then you can examine exactly how the file changed each time to get a feel for how it works under the hood. That's how I eventually got used to working with apache and mysql.

Turns out the username I needed to use for thuderbird was simply "username", not "username.domain.com" and I had a few other configurating settings off, had to fix the maildir settings and then it started working properly.

Totally unrelated, but when I used qmail, we had multiple domains on one machine. It had the mail directories in its own directory tree (something like "/var/qmail"). The username would be "user%domain". It used a percent sign instead of an at sign because some mail clients get confused by usernames with "@" in them.

I set it up without SSL authentication though and I still need to figure out that part. Might it be best if I got a certificate from https://www.startssl.com/?

It sounds like a smart idea, but I never did it myself.

pants

I have an old machine that I'm going to retire and turn into an FTP/HFS file server. It's running Ubuntu. I'll be placing it out of reach so I was wondering what the best solution for remote desktop from my Windows 7 and Ubuntu machines to my new(old) Ubuntu file server for maintenance.

Must have a windows and ubuntu client so I can admin the machine from anywhere.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Does anything relevant/good depend on GNOME 3? I installed Ubuntu after a long hiatus because I knew the installer wouldn't give me any trouble (I still wanted to keep my W7 partition) -- last time I used Linux was around Fedora 6.

But man, I want GNOME 2 back. And no, GNOME classic/fallback in 3 isn't good enough. Don't like the way it looks and the buttons are on the wrong side.

Which distro should I use? Can I just format my Ubuntu partitions and use those that way I don't have to worry about accidentally wiping my W7 partition?

peakish

Does anything relevant/good depend on GNOME 3? I installed Ubuntu after a long hiatus because I knew the installer wouldn't give me any trouble (I still wanted to keep my W7 partition) -- last time I used Linux was around Fedora 6.
Are you talking about dependencies on Gnome 3 in particular, or the GTK tool kit? I don't think anything depends on you running the former, maybe some official applications but probably not even that. Ubuntu doesn't even run a pure Gnome 3 desktop so anything you're seeing there and in the software center is fine at the very least.

But man, I want GNOME 2 back. And no, GNOME classic/fallback in 3 isn't good enough. Don't like the way it looks and the buttons are on the wrong side.
It's probably never coming back, there might be extensions making it a bit more like you want it if you're willing to look after them - check https://extensions.gnome.org/. Otherwise, XFCE (http://www.xfce.org/) is close to the Gnome 2 experience, a bit different but good and lightweight. A fork of Gnome 2 also exists, MATE (http://mate-desktop.org/). No idea how good it is.

Edit: Oh, also some users who don't like the newer desktop philosophies of Gnome and Ubuntu seem to like Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/). Might be worth checking out.

Top Bottom