• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux Distro Noob thread of Linux noobs

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are you talking about dependencies on Gnome 3 in particular, or the GTK tool kit? I don't think anything depends on you running the former, maybe some official applications but probably not even that. Ubuntu doesn't even run a pure Gnome 3 desktop so anything you're seeing there and in the software center is fine at the very least.
Well I installed GNOME once my Ubuntu install finished because Unity is ultra gross, and used GNOME classic right off the bat, but it still feels off.
It's probably never coming back, there might be extensions making it a bit more like you want it if you're willing to look after them - check https://extensions.gnome.org/. Otherwise, XFCE (http://www.xfce.org/) is close to the Gnome 2 experience, a bit different but good and lightweight. A fork of Gnome 2 also exists, MATE (http://mate-desktop.org/). No idea how good it is.

Edit: Oh, also some users who don't like the newer desktop philosophies of Gnome and Ubuntu seem to like Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/). Might be worth checking out.
I see. Thanks.

I wish it was just as simple as being able to install GNOME2 :(

Jinroh

Installed the latest version of Ubuntu 3 weeks ago, hated it. Installed Mint 1.4 (kate), love it. The interface is so good looking, so simple. I love windows 8, but I will definitely keep that version of linux on my second SSD.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Tried to install Netflix via the OMGUbuntu guide, didn't really work out too well. Any other way to get Netflix working on Linux?

I have to say I really enjoy Unity.

We have other devices around the house running different shells (which are fine too), but I've really come around to Unity.

peakish

I see. Thanks.

Mate is probably as close as you'll get to that. But (I think) it's maintained by a very small team so I can't vouch for stability and support.

Myself, I'd recommend you to try out Gnome 3 for a while - I quickly fell in love with it. The largest part of getting it is utilising the dynamic workspaces instead of going to a taskbar to switch the active program. When booting I launch basically all my stuff to different workspaces and use the stellar ctrl-alt-up/down commands to move between them, works like a charm. But nothing is for everyone, I can only speak for myself.

Give XFCE a try for real. There even is a prebuilt version of Ubuntu called Xbuntu as well as an XFCE version of mint.
XFCE is totally awesome. Up until the latest versions of Gnome 2 (which really polished it) it was my go-to environment.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Well I installed GNOME once my Ubuntu install finished because Unity is ultra gross, and used GNOME classic right off the bat, but it still feels off.

I see. Thanks.

Give XFCE a try for real. There even is a prebuilt version of Ubuntu called Xbuntu as well as an XFCE version of mint.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Mate is probably as close as you'll get to that. But (I think) it's maintained by a very small team so I can't vouch for stability and support.

Myself, I'd recommend you to try out Gnome 3 for a while - I quickly fell in love with it. The largest part of getting it is utilising the dynamic workspaces instead of going to a taskbar to switch the active program. When booting I launch basically all my stuff to different workspaces and use the stellar ctrl-alt-up/down commands to move between them, works like a charm. But nothing is for everyone, I can only speak for myself.
Yeah, I've read that people adjust to it and come to appreciate it, and it doesn't sound bad on paper, but I don't see it happening for me. I can't use anything heavily dependant on keyboard shortcuts. My left arm is paralyzed so mouse dependant UIs are more natural to use (I'm able to use a keyboard well for typing though, I just rapidly switch between them), and three key shortcuts are difficult for me to do. So when I use it, it really does feel like a gimped tablet interface like some of the detractors (semi?-)inaccurately label it because I can't utilize the keyboard shortcuts comfortably.

This is also why I can't gel with the buttons being on the left side (and the taskbar thing in "real" GNOME3 being on the left) -- just doesn't feel natural being entirely right handed.

Dynamic workspace concept seems neat, but it sounds a bit limited to me. I think the Windows 7 taskbar has my favorite implementation of managing multiple windows and such, oddly. Probably the best thing MS has done in Windows, must've been a fluke looking at Windows 8 though.

I'm definitely interested in seeing where desktop environment developers go in the future. I think that it's possible to create a solution that keeps the genuinely valuable aspects of the traditional desktop solution while still moving things forward.

I'll give it a shot, but it has a bit of a rough look to it. Although that does give back in the form of more efficient resource usage I suppose.

peakish

Yeah, I've read that people adjust to it and come to appreciate it, and it doesn't sound bad on paper, but I don't see it happening for me. I can't use anything heavily dependant on keyboard shortcuts. My left arm is paralyzed so mouse dependant UIs are more natural to use (I'm able to use a keyboard well for typing though, I just rapidly switch between them), and three key shortcuts are difficult for me to do. So when I use it, it really does feel like a gimped tablet interface like some of the detractors (semi?-)inaccurately label it because I can't utilize the keyboard shortcuts comfortably.

This is also why I can't gel with the buttons being on the left side (and the taskbar thing in "real" GNOME3 being on the left) -- just doesn't feel natural being entirely right handed.

Dynamic workspace concept seems neat, but it sounds a bit limited to me. I think the Windows 7 taskbar has my favorite implementation of managing multiple windows and such, oddly. Probably the best thing MS has done in Windows, must've been a fluke looking at Windows 8 though.
Ah, that is too bad. I can definitely see it being a real pain to use mouse only if you want an even somewhat effective workflow.

I think Cinnamon (which Linux Mint uses) implements a lot of Gnome 3 features into a more traditional environment. It may be available in the Ubuntu Software Center even? Not sure though.

I'm definitely interested in seeing where desktop environment developers go in the future. I think that it's possible to create a solution that keeps the genuinely valuable aspects of the traditional desktop solution while still moving things forward.
Yeah, I do think that Gnome 3 is a good step forward in a lot of ways, but this highlights quite a problem for it. But anyway, I totally agree and whatever solution turns out to be the "best" in the end, I'm confident we'll see some really good stuff come out of it. I'm glad to have tons of choice given to me in the Linux community.

Massa

I'll give it a shot, but it has a bit of a rough look to it. Although that does give back in the form of more efficient resource usage I suppose.

GNOME 3 has the advantage of being highly extensible, so you can probably change some of the things you don't like about it without much hassle, to behave in a more traditional way like GNOME 2. For example I hear good things about the panel-docklet extension.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Switched to Debian testing ver today (distro hopping already after one day, it's like I'm back with myself in 2006) and it feels a lot snappier than Ubuntu. Debian installed GNOME3 out of the box but I'm not really that adverse to it in classic mode for now since the buttons are on the right side.

Ubuntu must have something installed that makes the scrolling feel like it has some sort of inertia and very latent feeling -- it was like that no matter what and I tried every DE I could. It's not like that in Debian, though.

Debian sure has come far (as far as I remember anyways, I tried it in like early 2006 and didn't realize that it was commandline only and that I had to install the DE and I didn't know what to do and had to wipe everything out, lol) in terms of user friendliness. Graphical installer is pretty straightforward although they should take a few pointers from Ubuntu's installer and make it easier to partition for dual booting with Windows (wasn't an issue for me though because I just formatted my Ubuntu partitions except for /home, now that my memory's been refreshed I feel like I know what I'm doing...), then I'd have no problem recommending it to people who want to try Linux out over Ubuntu, which really seems to be falling apart a bit. 12.10 impressions sound pretty bad (I was on 12.04.)

Would anybody have any idea why my SMB transfer speeds in ubuntu (tried 12.04 and 12.10) are so slow? Transfers from machine to machine over gigabit ethernet using ubuntu go at about 35 MB/s whereas in Windows they go at closer to 100 MB/s. I experience this on all three of my desktops. I mostly transfer stuff over to my NAS which is running FreeNAS.

I remember I had the same situation when I was running OSX on my desktop, and there was a command I could run in a terminal to speed up my ethernet transfer rates.

tfur

Would anybody have any idea why my SMB transfer speeds in ubuntu (tried 12.04 and 12.10) are so slow? Transfers from machine to machine over gigabit ethernet using ubuntu go at about 35 MB/s whereas in Windows they go at closer to 100 MB/s. I experience this on all three of my desktops. I mostly transfer stuff over to my NAS which is running FreeNAS.

I remember I had the same situation when I was running OSX on my desktop, and there was a command I could run in a terminal to speed up my ethernet transfer rates.

Why would you be using smb for Ubuntu clients and a FreeNAS server?

pr0cs

I want to like Ubuntu and linux but fuck me it can be so fucking frustrating sometimes.
I installed 12.04 on a new SSD and initially it worked fine and now the fucking unity menu disappeared and without it the system is jacked. It did a bunch of updates and I don't know if those updates fucked up the unity menu or what but the system right now is pretty useless.

I think I will flash the system and start over, perhaps with mint 14 and if that gets fucked up then I'll just start over again with a new copy of Windows. What a drag, I want to leave the windows world but every time I play with linux I'm left disappointed. First issue was shit drivers for my brother printer, then I couldn't get any sort of scanning from the POS printer and then I couldn't map any SMB shares in XBMC and now 12.04 has likely updated itself into an unusable state.

Danj

Couldn't find a Linux OT so I'm gonna assume this one is it, sorry if I got it wrong.

I'm finally going to be replacing the Linux box I have at my parents' house this Christmas. On the new machine I plan to run a couple of Windows Server VMs, to provide infrastructure services for my parents' Windows PCs and laptops. I have a couple of questions:

1. When installing Ubuntu, is there a way to change where /home will be? For instance, in this system there'll be a 128GB SSD and a 3TB HDD - I imagine I'll mount the 3TB drive as /mnt/bigdisk or something and I want /home to be a folder inside that - I don't want the whole drive to be /home though. How would I go about making that happen during installation, or do I have to wait till afterwards?
  2. What's the best freely available virtual machine software for a Linux host, Windows Server 2008 R2 guest setup? Needs to be able to operate in headless mode.
  3. Is it possible / how do you get said VM software to automatically start VMs on startup and hibernate/suspend them on shutdown?
  4. Has anyone ever used one of these PCI ADSL2+ modems before? It specifically mentions Linux compatibility so I'm assuming it'll work, but how does it work? That's to say, what will the network topology look like when using one of these?

zoku88

Couldn't find a Linux OT so I'm gonna assume this one is it, sorry if I got it wrong.

I'm finally going to be replacing the Linux box I have at my parents' house this Christmas. On the new machine I plan to run a couple of Windows Server VMs, to provide infrastructure services for my parents' Windows PCs and laptops. I have a couple of questions:

1. When installing Ubuntu, is there a way to change where /home will be? For instance, in this system there'll be a 128GB SSD and a 3TB HDD - I imagine I'll mount the 3TB drive as /mnt/bigdisk or something and I want /home to be a folder inside that - I don't want the whole drive to be /home though. How would I go about making that happen during installation, or do I have to wait till afterwards?
  2. What's the best freely available virtual machine software for a Linux host, Windows Server 2008 R2 guest setup? Needs to be able to operate in headless mode.
  3. Is it possible / how do you get said VM software to automatically start VMs on startup and hibernate/suspend them on shutdown?
  4. Has anyone ever used one of these PCI ADSL2+ modems before? It specifically mentions Linux compatibility so I'm assuming it'll work, but how does it work? That's to say, what will the network topology look like when using one of these?

1) Home can be anywhere you want it to be. You can put any folder in a separate partition from your main one (except, usually /usr . That usually has to be in the some partition as /, I think) You would probably not do it as you're suggesting, though. You would probably some make a partition on your 3TB drive and set that as /home.

2) Don't really know. But I think both Xen (which can be a pain) and kvm can operate headless...

3) You'd probably make it so libvirtd-guests starts on startup. How you start that at startup depends on your distro/init system, though

4) Nope

Danj

1) Home can be anywhere you want it to be. You can put any folder in a separate partition from your main one (except, usually /usr . That usually has to be in the some partition as /, I think) You would probably not do it as you're suggesting, though. You would probably some make a partition on your 3TB drive and set that as /home.

This is not what I want to do though. What you're suggesting would mean I would have to choose a fixed size for the /home partition which could not be shared with anything else.

Is there any reason I couldn't just mount the 3TB as /mnt/bigdisk, create a /mnt/bigdisk/home folder and then symlink /home to it?

-KRS-

When creating a user you get to select where their home dir will be. No need for any symlinks. This is with the command 'adduser' though. I dont remember how the Ubuntu installer works, but if you cant do it there you could just run that after the installation is done. And you can also change the home dir after the fact I suppose but I don't remember what the command for that was now and I'm not in front of a linux computer right now.

Edit: wait why couldn't the /home be shared with anything else? That's just directory permissions. You could make a directory as root anywhere and set the permissions to whatever you like with chown and chmod.

The way I've done it on my file server is that the main HDD is 1TB, split into 4 partitions. One for /, one for swap, one for /home (which I barely use) and the rest as /mnt/sda4 which I use for backups. Then I have a 3TB drive which is one single partition mounted on /mnt/sdb1 which my user have access to.

Edit²: Ok I just checked and you use 'usermod' to change a users home dir. Like this:
Code:
usermod -dm /where/ever/you/want yourUser

So if you make a user in the Ubuntu installer you could change the home dir afterwards with that command. The -m will move the contents of the old home dir to the new one, so just remove the m if you don't want that.

Danj

When creating a user you get to select where their home dir will be. No need for any symlinks. This is with the command 'adduser' though. I dont remember how the Ubuntu installer works, but if you cant do it there you could just run that after the installation is done. And you can also change the home dir after the fact I suppose but I don't remember what the command for that was now and I'm not in front of a linux computer right now.

Is there any way you can make a different location be the default place to create new user home folders?

Edit: wait why couldn't the /home be shared with anything else? That's just directory permissions. You could make a directory as root anywhere and set the permissions to whatever you like with chown and chmod.

My understanding is that if you assign a partition as /home, then only things that are underneath /home can go in it, isn't that correct?

zoku88

My understanding is that if you assign a partition as /home, then only things that are underneath /home can go in it, isn't that correct?

That is correct.

I'm not sure how symlinking to /mnt/bigdisk changes this though.

What you would effectively be doing is creating a /home that is a really big partition (whose true name is /mnt/bigdisk).

If you were just going to symlink /home to /mnt/bigdisk, I don't really see why you wouldn't just mount that partition to /home

EDIT: I guess I should say, I'm wondering exactly why you want to do this. I don't see how you could possibly benefit

-KRS-

Oh you meant /home as in the partition, not the directory. Then yeah, only the /home directory would be used for that partition then. I'm not sure about the default location for the home dir, although I think it is possible to change it. But if you always use adduser to add users it will always ask you where you want the home folder to be (defaulting to /home/username).

And Zoku88 is right. I think. I'm a little confused as to what it is you want to actually do here though.

If you are dead set on having the /mnt/bigdisk partition, then I'd just have a small /home for users where their settings are stored (on a separate partition or not), then I'd use the remaining space for /mnt/bigdisk to actually store files on.

zoku88

What I do is put /home on my SSD, on a moderately sized partition.

But I link ~/Pictures, ~/Music , and ~/Videos to a partition on my 1TB HDD.

Danj

That is correct.

I'm not sure how symlinking to /mnt/bigdisk changes this though.

What you would effectively be doing is creating a /home that is a really big partition (whose true name is /mnt/bigdisk).

If you were just going to symlink /home to /mnt/bigdisk, I don't really see why you wouldn't just mount that partition to /home

EDIT: I guess I should say, I'm wondering exactly why you want to do this. I don't see how you could possibly benefit

Well, I don't just want /home on the 3TB drive, I want to use it to store the virtual machine disks and stuff as well (which will presumably be in some other folder, not quite sure where would be a good place to put them but /home certainly doesn't seem like the right place).

flowsnake

Well, I don't just want /home on the 3TB drive, I want to use it to store the virtual machine disks and stuff as well (which will presumably be in some other folder, not quite sure where would be a good place to put them but /home certainly doesn't seem like the right place).

It is. Not sure why you're overcomplicating things.

I don't see why you wouldn't want VMs and stuff like that in your home folder (specifically your user folder.) Presumably these are things that wouldn't normally be shared among multiple users.

If you run a system with only one primary user, it makes good sense to have home be a seperate, large disk.

If you run a multiuser system with lots of shared files, it might make sense to put the large disk in /var or /opt.

You need to think about the way you use the system and then design it based on that, but having tons of symlinks across the system tends to muddle things up in my opinion.

itxaka

Defeatist
Just a heads up for any programmers or (like me) beginner programmers.

Quickly is fucking awesome.

Not only binds the code with the ui automatically (one thing that I found pretty difficult to do with QT, but it also allows to to publish and package the thing automatically.

Great feature by Ubuntu, seriously. give it a try. There is an example by Jono Bacon from Ubuntu, which show you how to build a browser (webkit based) in 5 minutes.

Vanillalite

Just a heads up for any programmers or (like me) beginner programmers.

Quickly is fucking awesome.

Not only binds the code with the ui automatically (one thing that I found pretty difficult to do with QT, but it also allows to to publish and package the thing automatically.

Great feature by Ubuntu, seriously. give it a try. There is an example by Jono Bacon from Ubuntu, which show you how to build a browser (webkit based) in 5 minutes.

Cooooooooll as funk. I'm a coding newbie too! Definitely going to check this out and try the example by Jono!

Vanillalite

BTW did anyone else see the Fedora project still plans on releasing Fedora 19 in May despite the fact that Fedora 18 isn't even here yet?

Why does that feel unfeesible to me?

Massa

BTW did anyone else see the Fedora project still plans on releasing Fedora 19 in May despite the fact that Fedora 18 isn't even here yet?

Why does that feel unfeesible to me?

It'll be fine. Development on F19 has been happening for a while, F18 is pretty much done. It's not released yet because the installer isn't ready.

Danj

It is. Not sure why you're overcomplicating things.

If the VM's are in some user's home directory, what happens if another user restarts the system and the VMs need to automatically start up again? Do startup processes run as root or something?

zoku88

If the VM's are in some user's home directory, what happens if another user restarts the system and the VMs need to automatically start up again? Do startup processes run as root or something?

Well, for the startup thing, you'd most likely be using libvirt-guests, which is started by libvirtd, I believe? It's run as root. (and starts before any user logs in.)

Here's a libvirt page in the ArchWiki

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libvirt

Is there anything for Ubuntu/Mint that is similar to a Mac Mini? I'd love to get one for my living room or something.

Couldn't you install Ubuntu or Mint on a Mac Mini?

edits:

There is also http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

And you can search online for "mini-itx", which is the form factor for tiny computers.

They also sometimes refer to the form factor as "booksize".

Also, I recently ordered one of these: http://www.raspberrypi.org/
They are $35 and I believe there's an Ubuntu (or at least Debian) distro for it. Similar are the "plug computers", but those caused me problems by way of a known and very stupid design flaw involving them permafizzling when connected to an external hard drive -- hopefully, the Rpi doesn't have that nonsense!

Hieberrr

Couldn't you install Ubuntu or Mint on a Mac Mini?

edits:

There is also http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

And you can search online for "mini-itx", which is the form factor for tiny computers.

They also sometimes refer to the form factor as "booksize".

Also, I recently ordered one of these: http://www.raspberrypi.org/
They are $35 and I believe there's an Ubuntu (or at least Debian) distro for it. Similar are the "plug computers", but those caused me problems by way of a known and very stupid design flaw involving them permafizzling when connected to an external hard drive -- hopefully, the Rpi doesn't have that nonsense!

I'm basically looking for a small machine that can do web browsing without a hitch, stream sopcast or flash content, and do 720p without a problem.

I looked at the raspberry pi, but I don't think that can handle it.

Novice linux user here and I need some help using wget.

Basically, I have an online course at my college and would like to go through and download all of the files and information for future reference, so I want wget to essentially go in and create an exact copy of the class site that I can view offline at any time.

Exporting my cookies from firefox and putting them into wget, I was able to get it to actually make a copy of the index page... but any link beyond that redirected to the login screen and it seems that wget wouldn't download anything else because it didn't/couldn't log in on its own. On top of that, none of the links redirected to offline pages; they all pointed to the online version which obviously won't help when I get locked out next week. I know that the pages downloaded (because I could manually open their HTML files which all were the login page) but there was no way to actually get to them because the links didn't convert.

How can I get wget to automatically log in while making all of the links convert to point to the local html files?

Is there any way to view Microsoft Office files properly in Linux? I have LibreOffice, but it still mangles files sometimes. It's pretty much the only reason why I still have a Windows partition on my laptop.

gokieks

I'm basically looking for a small machine that can do web browsing without a hitch, stream sopcast or flash content, and do 720p without a problem.

I looked at the raspberry pi, but I don't think that can handle it.

Intel's new NUC (Next Unit of Computing) might be a good option. It's basically standard Intel PC hardware so Linux support should be fine, and it should offers quite good performance/size.

Massa

Is there any way to view Microsoft Office files properly in Linux? I have LibreOffice, but it still mangles files sometimes. It's pretty much the only reason why I still have a Windows partition on my laptop.

You could try Wine with MS Office, or the free Office viewers that Microsoft releases.

Novice linux user here and I need some help using wget.

Basically, I have an online course at my college and would like to go through and download all of the files and information for future reference, so I want wget to essentially go in and create an exact copy of the class site that I can view offline at any time.

Exporting my cookies from firefox and putting them into wget, I was able to get it to actually make a copy of the index page... but any link beyond that redirected to the login screen and it seems that wget wouldn't download anything else because it didn't/couldn't log in on its own. On top of that, none of the links redirected to offline pages; they all pointed to the online version which obviously won't help when I get locked out next week. I know that the pages downloaded (because I could manually open their HTML files which all were the login page) but there was no way to actually get to them because the links didn't convert.

How can I get wget to automatically log in while making all of the links convert to point to the local html files?

The --user and --password arguments might be of use here for being logged in. This depends on the authentication method the website uses, though.

-k or --convert-links will convert links in the way that you describe

Should I assume that you know about -r, -nd, -l and the relatively newfangled -m options that recursively crawl through websites to mirror their contents?

Or dump that crapware and just use Google Docs.

Google Docs is not particularly good at not mangling documents delivered from other peoples' office suites, and it might be a bit hard for opticalmace to force every other person on the planet to send all their documents via google.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google Docs is not particularly good at not mangling documents delivered from other peoples' office suites, and it might be a bit hard for opticalmace to force every other person on the planet to send all their documents via google.

...what's your point?

Or dump that crapware and just use Google Docs.

1) Most of the time the documents are sent to me and I don't have much choice.
2) I've tried to use LibreOffice Impress for presentations, and it works fairly well, but Powerpoint definitely does some things better.

IISANDERII

I just got an iPhone and would like to know what the best way to manage files is? I hope somebody don't tell me I got to load up Windows or use the wine

Vanillalite

Got in the Steam Beta, and I installed TF2. Going to check it out this weekend, and see how the performance on my machine goes verses in Windows.

Top Bottom