• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Teknoman

OchreHand said:
i don't either...it's so full of detail, right down to the helmet distortion. and i love that futuristic train that just rolls by near the end.

I mean even the lighting is done right...and have no clue how he did the train from that perspective.

Im still creating from the perspective of old school platformers/shooting/hack and slash, but i'd really like to know how to get different camera views like that. Actually I still havent figured out how to do the top down camera.

Grinchy

Banned
I actually feel guilty for not buying this yet. I loved the first one, bought the MGS, Pirates, and Marvel packs, couldn't want for the new one to come out. It came out in a busy time, and I still haven't bought it nor do I have the time to delve into the creator the way I'd want. But I still feel like MM deserves my monies.

Here's the thing:

Yes a video like that is impressive, but who actually wants to play that? It's cool that it's made in LBP, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole if it wasn't.

colinp

Banned
civilstrife said:
Here's the thing:

Yes a video like that is impressive, but who actually wants to play that? It's cool that it's made in LBP, but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole if it wasn't.

I agree. "Technically impressive" needs to take a back seat to "fun gameplay".

Teknoman said:
I mean even the lighting is done right...and have no clue how he did the train from that perspective.

Im still creating from the perspective of old school platformers/shooting/hack and slash, but i'd really like to know how to get different camera views like that. Actually I still havent figured out how to do the top down camera.
Top down like that is simple enough but the rotationn is what I'm wondering about. Don't get me wrong, it looks impressive has fuck but I'd like to see the game play feels. That Doom recreation was awesome back in the day, but it played like ass.

donkey show said:
Top down like that is simple enough but the rotationn is what I'm wondering about. Don't get me wrong, it looks impressive has fuck but I'd like to see the game play feels. That Doom recreation was awesome back in the day, but it played like ass.

it is the level moving

I never got why everyone get so hype about a every FPS or why they think its a good idea, im sure when move pack come out they be millions more pop up.

bovo

It's not very fancy compared to most levels here, but finally published a lbp2 level, and as it has had 1 play (that isn't me) I thought I'd mention it here.

It's a two player cannon battle...

8e2654e0d456c65eeee1698ca2618aaa2b7791fb.png

Caribbean Pirate Battle

http://lbp.me/v/09bbhq

If anyone wants to try it, let me know what you think - it's very short, but meant to be fun!

(I have had one good review, from my 5yr old son....)

onken

Grinchy said:
I actually feel guilty for not buying this yet. I loved the first one, bought the MGS, Pirates, and Marvel packs, couldn't want for the new one to come out. It came out in a busy time, and I still haven't bought it nor do I have the time to delve into the creator the way I'd want. But I still feel like MM deserves my monies.

Ditto here.

jump_button said:
it is the level moving

I never got why everyone get so hype about a every FPS or why they think its a good idea, im sure when move pack come out they be millions more pop up.
That makes a ton of sense as to why it moves so slow.

It now sounds like one of those looks good, but plays bleh levels. But hey, the more it gets people into LBP2, the better.

Teknoman

bovo said:
It's not very fancy compared to most levels here, but finally published a lbp2 level, and as it has had 1 play (that isn't me) I thought I'd mention it here.

It's a two player cannon battle...

8e2654e0d456c65eeee1698ca2618aaa2b7791fb.png

Caribbean Pirate Battle

http://lbp.me/v/09bbhq

If anyone wants to try it, let me know what you think - it's very short, but meant to be fun!

(I have had one good review, from my 5yr old son....)

Post it in the community levels thread too.

Why are people so head over heels for this video? Other people were doing it 3 months ago!

The floor is moving. We are still waiting for Mm to patch the Local Space Glitch. But there is one person I know of trying (very well) to do it anyway.

I am well behind (not started) on my projects.

jump_button said:
Played really well, Cant wait to see what you will do for the full one

I should have a new level done some time this week, Im not if to publish it yet
Thanks man! Hopefully soon I'll have the time to work on it full blast. Will definitely check out your new work when it comes out too!

As for those additions to the level, I just added Tallgeese to the stage as a boss if you reach S-Rank (40 kills).

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnYmHizlkHg

hsWgJ.png

eTBiJ.png

30uOK.png

Should spice up the level just a tad. ^^

community_spotlight.png

LBPC Community Spotlight 60

PS3 Spotlight

Super Afro Samurai Monkeys! by LordMagicPants
Figment [50 Minute Movie] by ladylyn1
Gabriella: The Iron Nightmare by Turbo_Egg_Salad
Flip (1-4 Players, Platformer) by Krazy159
Remnant: Ignotus by Lockstitch
=STAR WARS= &#x06 BATTLEFRONT by CENTURION24
Massive Epic Raging Destruction (3D FPS TRAILER) by steve_big_guns
Clockwork Ruins by Holguin86
Neon Limits by Nuclearfish
Puzzle Rooms 2 [1P] by SneakySteve1983
Nina Stitch-Some-More 'My Baby Just Cares For Me' Recorded Vocal by rialrees
Rubik's Tube by comphermc
SKUNK FACTORY [ PART 1 ] by BobTox
The Apprentice Wizard: Initiation by CRIFFER
High Tech Cave 3 ( 1 Player ) by ALS_TheGamer
The Chamber: Level 4 by JakePutz by JakePutz
Steampunk Skallywags 2: Prologue by L1GhTmArE
MTG - A Malevolent Tale by OneEyedBanshee
The Unquiet Grave - A tale of Undying Love(Film) by Kaiju_Kid
Bubble Bridge by Nick930930
Close Encounters of the Herd Kind (Online Multiplayer Only) by Nuclearfish
Maximum Carnage by Foofles
Sackbeard's Long Day. by Pickle_of_Fire
Lndustrial Platforms by ATMLVE
Vectroids by CuzFeeshe
Space Shooter! by miketheiron

PSP

Frost in the Factory by spok22
Heart-Break Haven by The-Questor
Lifted by rOckalOvEer x73
Livin' la Voodoo Loca by SeekingTruth86
Mar Y Tierra by VelcroJonze
Minecart Madness by Coxy224
Modern Warfare Survival by WoodburyRaider
Red Rampage by BlueBulletBill
Tera Cota II by VelcroJonze
The Tear Garden * by kaiju_kid

Stampy

I have also posted this in the community section, but don’t know how many people post there these days, so I might as well pimp my level here. :D
-----
bbec06a4ffb2588f2ab860a128bd3f3ac9b6ce45.png

Shattered Embrace
By: Stampy83
http://lbp.me/v/0ms5qd

Finally after 3 months of work, I have published my first level in LBP 2. It is a 30 minutes long movie (consisting of three parts/level links). It is a story about an investigator whose life became a destroyed and unstable clash of memories, imageries and broken thoughts, due to an incident which he deeply denies.

Co-creators for this movie were: MuddledMuppet & leklack - voices; hilightnotes - music; camel504 - tree objects. Ladonna2 - font.

I hope you enjoy it and any feedback is appreciated. :)

3dd49a7de880f3f18e99a4c9a8bbc061e1350986.jpg

95f77683abebbe7dfbd79ed259e8697c60f90e05.jpg

e166f45871e9c36f23ffea60a5c149d6887f2553.jpg

e6e91d4cc266788b2a617e65c49a10afdb287655.jpg

23fad354807a180c8be228f64817e06cfe632243.jpg

Thrakier

Why? Someone made a Shooter in LBP that looks more than mediocre and actually is potentially less fun to play than a any other <50% console shooter. You guys get excited about that like programers would be excited about a new great code. But where is the gameplay, guys?

Madman

Ellis Kim said:
What in the world...

Did anyone actually get around to making a thread for this?
It's a true to form tech demo. Anyone who has created or plays understands how ridiculous it is, but compared to a real FPS, it looks jittery and odd. A thread on it wouldn't go well. Not to say it isn't really impressive, because it is.

If it can be perfected, then a topic on it should be posted.

Himself

I can't wait till I can add all these levels via lbp.me again. The stuff you guys have been posting looks awesome! Definitely will play ASAP.

Sorc3r3r

I want to report some great levels that deserve way more plays and that in some case are worth a MM pick.

Sack Knights' Underwater Castle
By
Quasi-Stellar-00

ICARUS TYPE ALPHA (The Parallax Zone)
By
Pirmaut

05 The Goblin King
By
ROBOT-NATE

All Alone (HARD)
By
TOM230889

LBP2 is an awesome game, MM has done a wonderful job to make more easy to spot and play the best levels around but in 4+ millions levels some great level is lost, some creator works hard without getting the right amount of praise.

a0dbc51f17374dfd643912c8aa3474275c183c60.png

Pixel Boy
by jump_button

link http://lbp.me/v/0q-96p

Pixel Boy first made in the beta, been working on this off and on alot Still only a little level as i work on my bigger one. use about million stickers sorry if they start glitching out

best to play one player you can have more but it may lag alot

23a5b3a46b296e70c542e33e021e573a9407cb23.jpg

929540ed2ad1f45b4f5a69acc0f986d5270e4aea.jpg

The Lamp

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to do simple things I knew how to do in LBP1 in LBP2.

For example, the "one shot" mechanic is now gone. If I want a movie camera (or anything else) to trigger, run its course, and then never work again, I don't know how to get that to work with the new tools. For example, I want Sackboy to enter into an area and trigger a cutscene. But after it finishes, I don't want the cutscene to retrigger if he goes back to that area. How do I do this? In the old game I'd just select "one shot" in the switches options but now they took that away :l

The Lamp said:
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to do simple things I knew how to do in LBP1 in LBP2.

For example, the "one shot" mechanic is now gone. If I want a movie camera (or anything else) to trigger, run its course, and then never work again, I don't know how to get that to work with the new tools. For example, I want Sackboy to enter into an area and trigger a cutscene. But after it finishes, I don't want the cutscene to retrigger if he goes back to that area. How do I do this? In the old game I'd just select "one shot" in the switches options but now they took that away :l
One shot still exists within the magic mouth options (which is how you did cutscenes in LBP1). With movie cameras, set the camera hold time to a certain time and that will give you what you want.

Also learning how to use the sequencer will help you out with more complex scenes because of its ability to place tools like the cameras and sounds in a specified timeline.

The Lamp

donkey show said:
One shot still exists within the magic mouth options (which is how you did cutscenes in LBP1). With movie cameras, set the camera hold time to a certain time and that will give you what you want.

Also learning how to use the sequencer will help you out with more complex scenes because of its ability to place tools like the cameras and sounds in a specified timeline.

I can't even find magic mouth in LBP2....I thought they got rid of them?
I'm pretty sure I tried "hold" but that only determines how long the camera holds the shot. If I go back into the trigger zone, the camera activates again, if I'm not mistaken.

The Lamp said:
I can't even find magic mouth in LBP2....I thought they got rid of them?
I'm pretty sure I tried "hold" but that only determines how long the camera holds the shot. If I go back into the trigger zone, the camera activates again, if I'm not mistaken.
The magic mouth is in the second page of the tools menu under "creature tools" or something like that. As for your other question, then use a sequencer and place the movie camera in the sequencer timeline. Activate the sequencer with the set cutscene with a player sensor that is connected to a counter switch set to max out at 1. Connect that counter switch to the sequencer. This will emulate a permanent switch and the sequencer with the movie camera will not be activated again if you try to reactivate it by running in and out of the player sensor switch.

The Lamp

donkey show said:
The magic mouth is in the second page of the tools menu under "creature tools" or something like that. As for your other question, then use a sequencer and place the movie camera in the sequencer timeline. Activate the sequencer with the set cutscene with a player sensor that is connected to a counter switch set to max out at 1. Connect that counter switch to the sequencer. This will emulate a permanent switch and the sequencer with the movie camera will not be activated again if you try to reactivate it by running in and out of the player sensor switch.
Thanks for the help!

You reminded me to ask something about the sequencer. It would seem that you cameras don't work like one would expect when using a sequencer.

Instead of holding out for however long you choose "hold" in the settings, the sequencer immediately disables the camera after the "ticker" passes by its square. So if I wanted a camera to hold out for 8 seconds, and each stripe was a second...I'd have to copy and paste the camera 8 times on 8 different stripes. Is that right? Or is there a way to get it to just hold out a camera for as long as you set it to?

The Lamp said:
Thanks for the help!

You reminded me to ask something about the sequencer. It would seem that you cameras don't work like one would expect when using a sequencer.

Instead of holding out for however long you choose "hold" in the settings, the sequencer immediately disables the camera after the "ticker" passes by its square. So if I wanted a camera to hold out for 8 seconds, and each stripe was a second...I'd have to copy and paste the camera 8 times on 8 different stripes. Is that right? Or is there a way to get it to just hold out a camera for as long as you set it to?
No prob. =)

When working with a sequencer, you can basically "extend" or "shorten" a tool's activation time on sequencer by grabbing the tool within the sequencer timeline and pressing up or down on the left analog stick. If done right, you'll see the tool grow or shrink, signifying the length of time it will be active. So with your movie camera, you only need to extend it 8 strips long as having multiple cameras like you mention will not work the way you want it to.

This also applies to sounds, keys, movers, rotators, etc.

Teknoman

Its been all this time, and I cant believe i'm just getting around to finishing my first level...which kinda brings me to the question: When creating, do you guys just focus on one project at a time, or try to work on several at once?

Trying to work on a series of (hopefully) quality platforming stages to tie into one game...hopefully i'm not focusing too much on looks, since the first stage still feels kinda easy. Then again, maybe thats best since its the first stage.

Just gotta figure out how to make a good boss battle and wrestle with the music creator now :p

The Lamp

donkey show said:
No prob. =)

When working with a sequencer, you can basically "extend" or "shorten" a tool's activation time on sequencer by grabbing the tool within the sequencer timeline and pressing up or down on the left analog stick. If done right, you'll see the tool grow or shrink, signifying the length of time it will be active. So with your movie camera, you only need to extend it 8 strips long as having multiple cameras like you mention will not work the way you want it to.

This also applies to sounds, keys, movers, rotators, etc.

OHHHHHHH wow, I didn't know that. Thank you!

BTW people I found a YouTube channel that has a bunch of LBP2 video tutorials. Glad I found it. It explained a lot of things. http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sh...torial-channel&p=828363&viewfull=1#post828363

I'm a huge fan of the LBP series, but my biggest complaint is that some of the simplest things your mind says "Okay, I want to make this" are difficult or complicated to do. LBP2 shortened this gap considerably, but there's still things like "I want to create a simple menu system" or "I want this camera to follow this playable Sackbot" that feels like it should be a one or two-step process, and it ends up being a mess of logic (at least in the case of Sackbots) that clever community creators have had to think up to get around the confines of the game.

They really should have tried to make this game even more accessible with even simpler switches and mechanisms; it's what prevents a portion of the community from playing. Or at least, shipped the game with tutorials on the disc like those in the above YouTube channel.

Surely a lot of the stuff you think you can't do, you actually can, but it takes a lot of learning and practice (something I'm trying to do this summer) and most people just want to jump in and make what they like. But right now, the tools, as ingenious as they are, still haven't shortened the gap between "this is what I want to make" and "this is what I can make" yet, in my opinion.

Ranger X

jump_button said:
a0dbc51f17374dfd643912c8aa3474275c183c60.png

Pixel Boy
by jump_button

link http://lbp.me/v/0q-96p

Pixel Boy first made in the beta, been working on this off and on alot Still only a little level as i work on my bigger one. use about million stickers sorry if they start glitching out

best to play one player you can have more but it may lag alot

23a5b3ab296e70c542e33e021e573a9407cb23.jpg

929540ed2ad1f5a69acc0f986d5270e4aea.jpg

oh shiiiiit, need to play that!

The Lamp said:

What I do is, emit the cutscene and at the end destroy it, can't come back then ;)

Miutsu

Hi Sack-GAF :)

I havent posted in this thread yet because I havent been able to play much of the online levels and try the recomended levels here, but i have a request to make:

Im doing a little "presentation" for my french course and I was thinking about doing it as a LBP2 level/movie while I (and two other friends) do the talking.

Now, I dont really have a way to take my ps3 there or anything to play the level in front of the others, but I can show videos there. So my request is if once I finish the "level" (i dont have any skills so its gonna be pretty simple) someone can record it for me and upload it somewhere or youtube.

The presentation is for Saturday and im going to try and finish it today or tomorrow, if someone can help me it would be very appreciated, thanks!

NDA has been lifted still no trailer anyway here a little rundown what we saw, new thread when they a trailer or vids

and thanx to StevenI from LBPW and LBPC
New Power-Up - Brain Crane

The Brain Crane is a new hat that Sackboy can wear that whilst active will allow him to pick up and move any grabbable object using the PlayStation Move, provided that the object is not too heavy and that Sackboy himself is not standing on the object.

New Tool - The Movinator

Essentially the PlayStation Move equivilant of The Controlinator.

Contains a fully customisable layout of the PlayStation Move that can be used to map your own controls and functions to it, in exactly the same way as you would with the DualShock and The Controlinator.

New Tool - Move Cursor

This new tool allows a creator to create their own custom in-game cursors whilst using the PlayStation Move.

You can use any in-game, DLC or custom Sticker during your cursor creation and you can also toggle whether the cursor can pick things up, can move in and out, whether grabbable objects will be highlighted upon hovering over them and whether the cursor requires a tag to be active.

New Tool - Move Paint

This is a big one!
Move Paint will allow you to create your own custom stickers using the PlayStation Move!
There's an assortment of brush types and a wide colour palette available whilst painting.

These Stickers will also have transparent backgrounds, so you're no longer restricted to the same old rectangular custom stickers! Additionally you can paste in other Stickers during your creation and edit them accordingly.

This Tool can infact be used during Create Mode and Single Player Play Mode.

New Tool - Material Slicer

Using this tool, you can cut through any object. It works much like "connect the dots", where you are in control over where the dots appear, and then the game slices the object accordingly.
Sliced pieces continue to be glued together after the slice, but their complexity can hereby easily reduced. This is very useful for those objects who have become "too complex" or are nearing that state.

New Tool - Move Recorder

Much like the previous Sackbot Recording tools, this tool will allow you to record any motion caused by using the PlayStation Move and then can be set to playback for your movie-making, level creation purposes.
Similarly these recordings can be set to loop and and have their speeds adjusted.

New Sensor - Speed Sensor

Can sense speed and you can toggle whether to sense the speed of only one direction or to allow all directions.

New Sensor - Rotation Sensor

Can sense rotations and again you can toggle whether to sense rotation in only one direction or in both directions.

New Sensor - Angle Sensor

Can be set to sense something within a specified angle.

New Material Type - Sticker Panel Material

This is another huge addition to the PlayStation Move Create DLC Pack!
You can set the colour and transparency of this Material.

So ssentially you can use this is an opaque version of the Hologram Material.
Meaning that no longer will your in-game sprites and other Hologram-based creations will have that semi-transparent look about them.

On top of that though, you can set the Mateiral to be completely transparent too.
Which makes it perfect for some aspects of Sticker placement.

New Score Giver Tweak - Score Multiplier

In the Score Giver, you can now tweak to enable or disable multipliers for your creation.

New Player Sensor Tweak - Detect Unspawned Players

Player Sensors can now be set to "Detect Unspawned Players". This can be very useful for triggering opening cinematics, only when every player in a session has successfully entered the level.

New Grab Sensor Tweaks

You can now choose to tweak whether the sensor activates when grabbed by a Sackperson/Sackbot, by the Move Wand or both.
You can also cause objects carrying the Sensor to glow slightly when you hover the Move Cursor over said object.

New Material Tweaker Tweak

The Material Tweaker can now select whether an object is grabable by a Sackperson/Sackbot, by the Move Wand or by both.

Other Notable Highlights From The Community GameJame

In-Game Store Overhaul

The in-game Store has had a major overhaul and DLC is now arranged in the order of Level Packs, Downloaded Packs and Outfits. In turn, each of these tabs are now listed alphabetically.

Selecting a Level Pack will open that Pack's level selection.

Selecting a Downloaded Pack will display a list of all the costume pieces, stickers and objects contained within the pack.
Each costume piece can be individually selected from this list and placed on your Sackboy.

Outfits is the recognisable list of complete Outfits for your Sackboy to wear.

Finally you can also Text Search the in-game Store.

Move Pack Level Rundown

This is just a quick count of the levels contained within the Move Pack, although please be aware that since I was playing an earlier version of the pack, this could still be subject to some change before release.

1 x Introduction Level
4 x Main Story Levels
1 x Boss Level
7 x Side Levels
1 x Tutorial Level for one of the above mention Side Levels
2 x Versus Levels
2 x Cutscene Levels

Total New Levels = 18

New Music Sequencer Instruments

At the Community GameJam, there were an additional 17 new Music Sequencer Instruments.
However again, these were very much in a developmental stage still and may be subject to some change before release.

Top Bottom