• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm disappointed in the reception this game is receiving. I loved LBP2, but it sounds like that one is still the definitive game in the series?

It definitely is. The main reason being, this one borderline doesn't have a story mode. The hub worlds are cool and all, but don't add nearly enough to compensate for the lack of length. I have this game platinumed and I'm really not huge into creating levels. I went to play some community levels, but I just can't find any compelling ones. When LBP 2 came out you had a nice lengthy single player mode, that took advantage of a ton of the new features, and the community was ridiculously active. I've had my copy shelved for a while now already. It's definitely the best in the series in terms of the new characters, the new features, the level design, etc. but it really feels so incomplete.

I've been gaming for decades, and this is the first time i've ever returned a game for refund (and digitally, no less!). What a completely broken, unfinished mess this is on PS4. I guess the only reason it isn't in the press as much is that it was lucky enough to come out the same time as AC: Unity.

wouwie

Upon replaying the story levels, it hit me how short this game really is. I bought every LBP game released so far and since i don't create levels myself, i always bought them for the story levels, with the added bonus of user created levels down the line. So far i have never regretted my purchases since i always felt that the story levels offered just enough content to justify the price (i always replayed the campaign a few times). With this game, for the first time, i don't feel there is nearly enough content to justify the price, unless you create levels.

In my case, there isn't much else to do in LBP3 other than shelving the game and hoping that good user created content will appear in a few months time. Who knows, someone at Sony might have the bright idea to offer the LBP1&2 story levels aswell but i'm not counting on it... seems to make far too much sense. At this point, i'm not even sure if the LBP creator community will embrace this game as much as the previous ones. By visiting their moons, i have the impression that most of my favourite creators have moved on. In that sense, i feel that a revolutionary new LBP targetted at the new consoles would have been a far better idea than this very safe, short and buggy PS3 successor.

It's a shame that LBP3 is so short and plagued by numerous bugs because i feel it could have turned out to be by far the best LBP yet with more content and less bugs because the content available is actually very good! I don't know what happened during development (small team, small budget, short development cycle, little Q&A,...?) but it seems like waisted opportunity/potential to me. Who knows if sales will be big enough to greenlight another sequel in the future...

Are you connected online when you're playing? If you are, play offline and see if that helps.

Is that an official workaround? :D

I can only speak for myself but it's far from completely broken. Can people seriously say my copy is a fluke? Everything so far seems like there is an online component interfering with the game.

I would be interested to know if the game saves any kind of progress online? And if the game uses this?

Also regarding DLC. Why do some say "free" and some say "owned", even though I haven't downloaded anything?

ascii42

I really wish Sony had ported Puppetteer to PS4. At the very least, the idea behind Puppeteer was amazing. It lacked in the gameplay department, but the charm rivaled Mario.

Puppeteer at 1080p/60fps would have been unbelievably gorgeous.

Teknoman

And lo, there was much rejoicing. Off the next two days, so maybe I can finally get into the game without worrying about losing all my work.

I skimmed the notes and don't see anything about the issue where the game was crashing during 2/4 player co-op, specifically in Manglewood.

Did I just miss it?

J-Spot

I spent a little bit of time playing after patching the game. Stability does seem improved a bit as I experienced no crashes on user levels that would previously always crash. Unfortunately other issues are still persisting.

- Sackboy continues to warp ahead when moving quickly, especially when using the rails in Go Loco.
- No apparent compatibility updates for legacy levels. Sackboy can still move into layers that should not exist and bounce pads don't always work properly.
- Pressing the more button when browsing the community levels often brings up the same levels over and over again.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm in a game with banana right now, come join!

Also if anyone else wants to help do the 4x stuff, add me: enzogtr

I've got two controllers, but the update is still downloading. ETA 10 minutes. Have you been able to load into levels okay?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've got two controllers, but the update is still downloading. ETA 10 minutes. Have you been able to load into levels okay?
Yeah, banana's game crashed as I was trying to enter Manglewood hub, but we just did a level fine with minimal lag.

VanWinkle

Is this game good? I liked LBP1 and 2 but I haven't really heard much about the game itself outside of little specific things in here that don't really give me an impression. This is from the perspective of a person who has never been interested and still not interested in the creation aspect.

Creaking

I wanted to but my friends have been bugging me about GTA non-stop lol.

It's all right, we managed to pull it off (three times with acing because the "who gets rewarded at the end" thing is still glitched), but I had to use two controllers. It wasn't exactly fun...

Although, if anyone is wondering, it's the level they used to reveal the game at E3.

Creaking

Is this game good? I liked LBP1 and 2 but I haven't really heard much about the game itself outside of little specific things in here that don't really give me an impression. This is from the perspective of a person who has never been interested and still not interested in the creation aspect.

It's got some bugs (a lot of which have just been patched), and many would consider the story mode to be shorter than it's predecessors. If you like community levels, then it might be for you.

edit: whoops, forgot to use the edit button.

I'd say wait a bit for a sale. it's already been as low as $40. Once the game is completely fixed I think it would be worth that.

pupcoffee

Well, the patch put more of my unlocked LBP2 stuff in my pocket, so we're getting there, but where did Passion Pit's "Sleepy Head" go?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's got some bugs (a lot of which have just been patched), and many would consider the story mode to be shorter than it's predecessors. If you like community levels, then it might be for you.

edit: whoops, forgot to use the edit button.

Sorry t to be so negative and continuously drive this home, but there is no considering... objectively this is the shortest lbp and by a good amount at that.

hesido

Does the LBP2 to LBP3 carryover work trans-region? (My previous LBP2 was of UK origin, but the account was US, for example.. Would I need a UK LBP3 or a US LBP3 for the transfer to work, or would they ALL need to be the region?)

Thanks for the replies, I am thinking about getting this for my kid. She is young but very creative. How intuitive is the level creation, are the tutorials something a kid could watch and figure out?

Does the LBP2 to LBP3 carryover work trans-region? (My previous LBP2 was of UK origin, but the account was US, for example.. Would I need a UK LBP3 or a US LBP3 for the transfer to work, or would they ALL need to be the region?)
So on PS3 profile-wise, you need the same region game to transfer your profile over with everything you've earned from the previous games. If you're jumping from PS3 to PS4, technically the game will just read your pins and let you import LBP1/2 content over (minus DLC) regardless of region. DLC is still tied to the region to bought it from and can only be read from the same game region.
Thanks for the replies, I am thinking about getting this for my kid. She is young but very creative. How intuitive is the level creation, are the tutorials something a kid could watch and figure out?
So we made more intuitive "tutorials" called the Popit Academy that introduces Create Mode in Play Mode versus showing you a tutorial video and telling you what to do in LBP1/2. It teaches you the create fundamentals in a puzzle platforming fashion that should help newcomers understand how the tools work more easily. We've also made tutorials for every tool that can be found on LBP.me and can also be accessed on the PS4 version as well that's more instructional.

In all honesty, I think you kid should easily pick it up as the visual language is relatively easy to get into, but can be a huge rabbit hole if you want to get way more complex. Some schools in New York use LBP to teach game design to middle schoolers, so it should be alright.

Just out of interest donkey, is there any reasoning behind the big save file size? I assume you pad out a file to make sure there is room there later as the players profile grows? But surely over half a gig is a little high? It plays havoc with PS+ cloud save space.

Just out of interest donkey, is there any reasoning behind the big save file size? I assume you pad out a file to make sure there is room there later as the players profile grows? But surely over half a gig is a little high? It plays havoc with PS+ cloud save space.
Yeah, that's something we're looking into as well so hopefully that gets addressed very soon.

woot. just saw the new patch. forgot to leave my ps4 on so it downloads. i haven't been playing with COD and Smash. gotta make time for this again.

Haxxona

Banned
So in light of all the patch discussion I decorated my pod and so far its pretty sweet with the stickers/decos that I have so far.

15920186576_715ecaae84_o_d.jpg

Top Bottom