• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Does anyone know if there's a way to move an object with a Follower or an Advanced mover, when it's attached to a bendy rail? I've tested out rails connected to pistons and they move through space perfectly fine but when I use movement logic instead, the rails refuse to budge.

The reason I'm asking is because I've built a functional pseudo-3d camera which uses 12 straight rails along the z axis and they're connected to an object on the front layer in a circle formation. Each of these has a camera pointed at a central point, running on a rail hook. Via a controllinator the right analogue stick changes cameras left and right, plus moves them up and down.

I've got this working perfectly in a stationary position, but naturally I want it to follow a player controlled sackbot (moving on the back wall of course).

The alternative to using rails is to have duplicate 12 camera circles on multiple layers. Id probably have to make the controllinator change camera layers with L2 and R2, rather than moving the right stick up and down, like I can currently do with the rails. This isn't ideal because it will add to the complexity of the project by quite a bit and mean that more things can go wrong.

Does anyone have a better solution? I'd be extremely grateful, thanks.

I might, but it depends on what your camera thing is capable of. It reminds me of this needlessly complicated camera tool I built back in the days of LittleBigPlanet 2, before I understood most of the ins and outs of the system.

Are you just trying to make a camera that's adjustable within the constraints of LBP (ie, not full 3d, but it can be angled left/right/up/down etc?) or is your camera setup capable of offering some kind of glitched view? I'm not entirely sure what your use of bendy rails is for.

If you're on PS4 and can upload a little video, I might be able to help a little better.

Smidget

I love the new mechanics. Toggle is awesome, I love the head hook thing. Fun stuff.

Only just beat the Toggle level and moved onto Book 3 I think. How many books are there? I'm mostly going through the story levels and none of the extra stuff at the moment.

I hope the community can create levels on par or close to the story. Some of those levels are just so fun and clever.

Creaking

I love the new mechanics. Toggle is awesome, I love the head hook thing. Fun stuff.

Only just beat the Toggle level and moved onto Book 3 I think. How many books are there? I'm mostly going through the story levels and none of the extra stuff at the moment.

I hope the community can create levels on par or close to the story. Some of those levels are just so fun and clever.

3, if you don't count the prologue.

Also, there were some mighty impressive community levels in the beta, so keep an eye out.

I might, but it depends on what your camera thing is capable of. It reminds me of this needlessly complicated camera tool I built back in the days of LittleBigPlanet 2, before I understood most of the ins and outs of the system.

Are you just trying to make a camera that's adjustable within the constraints of LBP (ie, not full 3d, but it can be angled left/right/up/down etc?) or is your camera setup capable of offering some kind of glitched view? I'm not entirely sure what your use of bendy rails is for.

If you're on PS4 and can upload a little video, I might be able to help a little better.
The bendy rails are for the purpose of zooming the cameras in and out ( I'm using the back layer as the 'floor' of my level). I'm also not using any glitch view, just changing the camera angles as much as the system will allow me.

Are you on PS4? I could invite you onto my moon; controlling the system yourself may give you a better feel for how it works, rather than watching a video (I've also not uploaded any ps4 videos yet, so it may take me a while to setup ).

My PSN ID is OgTheClever if you'd like to send me a friend request.

Creaking

The bendy rails are for the purpose of zooming the cameras in and out ( I'm using the back layer as the 'floor' of my level). I'm also not using any glitch view, just changing the camera angles as much as the system will allow me.

Are you on PS4? I could invite you onto my moon; controlling the system yourself may give you a better feel for how it works, rather than watching a video (I've also not uploaded any ps4 videos yet, so it may take me a while to setup ).

My PSN ID is OgTheClever if you'd like to send me a friend request.

I've got a few things to do, and I won't be able to check it out while the PSX Keynote is going on, but if I have time, then I'll do that.

I've got a few things to do, and I won't be able to check it out while the PSX Keynote is going on, but if I have time, then I'll do that.
OK, that's fine, just whenever we happen to be online on PS4 at the same time we can do it. I'll see if I can create a short video in the meantime.

EDIT: Here is the video: http://youtu.be/P4rgqWfbsFI

DOUBLE EDIT: Hmm... I've just been watching this video of the level Sally in the fireworld for the first time and it appears to be possible to have a camera automatically move layers (presumably with the Follower tool). I never thought of doing that before, and a camera which can change height by itself will almost certainly be better than my manual method.

I guess I don't need to bother with rails anymore! (although it would still be nice if there was a way to move them with logic)

Creaking

OK, that's fine, just whenever we happen to be online on PS4 at the same time we can do it. I'll see if I can create a short video in the meantime.

EDIT: Here is the video: http://youtu.be/P4rgqWfbsFI

DOUBLE EDIT: Hmm... I've just been watching this video of the level Sally in the fireworld for the first time and it appears to be possible to have a camera automatically move layers (presumably with the Follower tool). I never thought of doing that before, and a camera which can change height by itself will almost certainly be better than my manual method.

I guess I don't need to bother with rails anymore! (although it would still be nice if there was a way to move them with logic)

Oh, interesting. That wasn't exactly what I had pictured, but I still think there is an easier way to pull what you're trying to accomplish off. I'm going to mess around in create mode a bit and see if I can find one.

satori

My kids are so disappointed and heart broken. We love lbp3 in our house, all four of us plays. Anyways my daughter wanted to show me her pod design and level she made. The game crashed, which it frequently does but this time it crash during the saving of the pod.

Games loads back but this time everything my kids and I are gone. It loads like it's a brand new install... Did we really just lose everything? Ugh.... So lame if true...

tch

My kids are so disappointed and heart broken. We love lbp3 in our house, all four of us plays. Anyways my daughter wanted to show me her pod design and level she made. The game crashed, which it frequently does but this time it crash during the saving of the pod.

Games loads back but this time everything my kids and I are gone. It loads like it's a brand new install... Did we really just lose everything? Ugh.... So lame if true...

Ouch. That sucks. If you go in settings you can try restoring your profile? (if you have it backed up)

Oh, interesting. That wasn't exactly what I had pictured, but I still think there is an easier way to pull what you're trying to accomplish off. I'm going to mess around in create mode a bit and see if I can find one.
I'd be interested to see what you can create. I feel like this kind of camera control could open up so many options for 3d levels. Btw I was using the 'Hard Pan' option on movie cameras to create a smooth rotating effect. I also used a transition time of 0.5 seconds, although I found 0.4 worked well also.

SerTapTap

Since update 3 I can't even launch the game without crashing. Ugh. Deleted game, reinstalled and updated, then it said my save was corrupted, deleted it (fortunately I was only 3 levels in and have a PS+ backup), still crashes immediately after the gamma calibration

Korten

Banned
Uh... my creative mode must be glitched... Like only bits and pieces of the backgrounds are loading...

Also a glitch where some levels in the community spawn me at the ending.

OgTheClever, can't you just have a camera follow your character and just rotate it?
I've already tried testing that out and can't find a solution which works for me. For some reason when the camera setting is on local space, the Y axis doesn't spin at all when rotating a tilted camera.

I tried a lot of things to find a better solution for my first person rollercoaster level but I eventually had to settle on a 12 camera system.

Creaking

I've already tried testing that out and can't find a solution which works for me. For some reason when the camera setting is on local space, the Y axis doesn't change at all when rotating a tilted camera.

Not sure what issue you had, but I was able to pull off a camera setup like yours using logic & movers/rotators.

Not sure what issue you had, but I was able to pull off a camera setup like yours using logic & movers/rotators.
That's great if you've found a way to do it. I presume it's controllable with the right analogue stick as well?

I'll be on my PS4 in around half an hour so I'll be grateful to see what you've made, thanks.

Creaking

That's great if you've found a way to do it. I presume it's controllable with the right analogue stick as well?

I'll be on my PS4 in around half an hour so I'll be grateful to see what you've made, thanks.

The rotation is, yeah. Raising the camera level isn't at the moment, but I can make that happen too if need be.

edit: I've got to go to sleep, so I'm sending you what I made. Should be in your LBP messages. Right stick rotates the camera, R1 & R2 change the z-axis level. Don't mind the sequencer, I just added that as a forced deadzone thing, 'cause my sticks have a very slight drift to them. It's nothing too clean, but it's something. Hope it helps.

DedValve

Banned
The store I bought a ps4 didn't have enough stock and will send my ps4 this thursday and as an apology is giving me the LBP3 holiday bundle for free! Not sure if it includes batman or not.

Its perfect since LBP is a game I always wanted to play but always spend like 10 minutes before getting bored. I heard you can finally edit (more like fix) the physics to your choosing. Can we get weightier jumps with better momentum? Is it possible to even have a sprint ability?

If so then I am so hyped. If not I'll probably trade the download code here.

Ok, forget everything I said in the last few posts, Creaking's solution is brilliant! I didn't even know cameras could be placed on circuit boards.

Rather annoyingly it turns out that Creaking's method of camera control only works with game cameras. If I use a movie camera then I run into the problem of the Y axis tilt remaining static when the camera is rotated.

The reason why I prefer movie cameras is because of the 'Flatness' option, which lets you change the appearence of depth in the level. Both types of cameras have a default of 60, but only movie cameras can change the flatness setting (up to 90) and produce a better 3d effect, letting you see further ahead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just got my PS3 out of the attic to play LBP1/2 for unlocks. First my HDD died so I had to swap it out. Now LBP1 is applying 13 patches :p

LBP2 is a digital download, so logically it shouldn't need patching. But then this is the PS3, so let's see.

Edit: bloody hell. After 30 mins installing LBP, it now wants to install 25 patches. So glad I left PS3 behind
Edit2: Jesus, some of these patches are a gig or more. The patches will probably be bigger than the game was

Creaking

Rather annoyingly it turns out that Creaking's method of camera control only works with game cameras. If I use a movie camera then I run into the problem of the Y axis tilt remaining static when the camera is rotated.

The reason why I prefer movie cameras is because of the 'Flatness' option, which lets you change the appearence of depth in the level. Both types of cameras have a default of 60, but only movie cameras can change the flatness setting (up to 90) and produce a better 3d effect, letting you see further ahead.

Do movie cameras really not have a local space setting, or is it just restricted? Either way, you should mention it to donkey show next time he's around.

Just got my PS3 out of the attic to play LBP1/2 for unlocks. First my HDD died so I had to swap it out. Now LBP1 is applying 13 patches :p

LBP2 is a digital download, so logically it shouldn't need patching. But then this is the PS3, so let's see.

I had LBP2 on disc with all the updates installed, then I got the digital version on PS+ for convenience, and it needed to update everything again. You're gonna need some updates. :p

So, I'm at the Playstation Experience this weekend and made a Community Challenge Swoop survival level for the folks on the show floor to play. If y'all were interested in giving it a go and showing the folks there what's up, here's the level link:

http://lbp.me:80/v/qt1kpp0

Good luck!

Do movie
cameras really not have a local space setting, or is it just restricted? Either way, you should mention it to donkey show next time he's around.
What's this about cameras?

SerTapTap

I guess I'm the only one getting the completely unplayable crash-at-launch bug? I guess I should just return this...

How to make sure it doesnt upload 500mb save file

Go to Settings on the PS4 menu, Application Saved Data Management, Upload To Online Storage, find the data you don't want to upload, press options, and set auto-upload to off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess I'm the only one getting the completely unplayable crash-at-launch bug? I guess I should just return this...

Go to Settings on the PS4 menu, Application Saved Data Management, Upload To Online Storage, find the data you don't want to upload, press options, and set auto-upload to off.

Rebuilt database? Tried playing offline?

SerTapTap

Rebuilt database? Tried playing offline?

Well I completely erased the game itself and it's saves. Will rebuilding the database do anything unwanted? On PS3 it erased your folders. I'll see if patch + starting offline lets me at least play

Creaking

OgTheClever is trying to make a sort of angled top-down camera that can rotate 360 degrees around the character. He had this crazy contraption on bendy rails to achieve the effect before I showed him that you could place cameras in microchips and rotate whatever the chips are on to achieve the same effect. I made my example device using a game camera, but OgTheClever wants to use a movie camera in order to take advantage of the flatness (or reverse flatness, in this case) setting. However, according to him, when he tries to rotate the object that the movie camera is attached to (in order to give it that 360 degree spin) the movie camera remains static.

I haven't poked around with the movie camera myself enough to see if there's some configuration that Og is missing, but that's the gist of it. I'm sure Og can fill in any other details.

Do movie cameras really not have a local space setting, or is it just restricted? Either way, you should mention it to donkey show next time he's around.

Movie cameras do have a local space setting, but it works slightly differently than game cameras. When the camera is tilted backwards, and then rotated during play mode, movie cameras seem to fixate on the same y axis tilt, unlike game cameras - which can change their rotational angle and tilt at the same time.

I've read that this might be related to movie cameras always trying to look at their crosshair position, whilst game cameras prefer to look at objects.

This wouldn't be a problem if game cameras had a 'Flatness' setting, then they'd be perfect for how I want to use them (although more backwards/upwards tilt would be nice as well).

SerTapTap

Nope, neither rebuilding the database, playing offline nor starting on unpatched, making a save file then starting with the patch works

edit: oh for crying out--I copied and deleted my screenshots again, now it works. What does 1.03 even fix?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope, neither rebuilding the database, playing offline nor starting on unpatched, making a save file then starting with the patch works

edit: oh for crying out--I copied and deleted my screenshots again, now it works. What does 1.03 even fix?

Having screenshots was crashing your game? that's nuts.

I still haven't had very many problems in the game but I feel bad for all of you that are struggling. Shouldn't have to deal with things this major in a retail release.

SerTapTap

Now that I can play I'm enjoying it so far--I love the posibilities with the level link and the objectives thing. Only in the second world of story so far.

Having screenshots was crashing your game? that's nuts.

Yeah, I think a culprit might have been one of the LBP screenshots showed a "corrupt" icon in the screenshot gallery but...the image worked. Either way deleting made it work and I have a few screens now and it hasnt' broken again yet.

Is the demo reel acknowledged as a bug or intentional? It's actually pretty annoying since I go idle fairly often.

Creaking

Is the demo reel acknowledged as a bug or intentional? It's actually pretty annoying since I go idle fairly often.

Demo reel on idle has been in the series since at least 2. Maybe even 1, but I haven't played that in a long time.

SerTapTap

Demo reel on idle has been in the series since at least 2. Maybe even 1, but I haven't played that in a long time.

Oh, I guess I just never let 2 idle. I played pretty much the whole thing through with a friend in co op and didn't play since so I might not have noticed. I still don't care for it...should be optional. I don't have a plasma to burn in.

Anyone know how to get the old costumes? I'm sure I have the Journey, SotC, and Metal Gear costumes, but they're not porting for me when I do the unlock.

Those are DLC not game unlocks, so old profile import won't do anything. Check the shop, they should appear automatically...I think...? I'm not 100% sure how the DLC stuff works tohugh, I'm still missing the MGS4 stuff, but I definitely have Journey and SotC costumes show up in the shop. You might be too early for MGS4 stuff though because I own those but they don't show up for me in LBP3

Cheers

Those are DLC not game unlocks, so old profile import won't do anything. Check the shop, they should appear automatically...I think...? I'm not 100% sure how the DLC stuff works tohugh, I'm still missing the MGS4 stuff, but I definitely have Journey and SotC costumes show up in the shop. You might be too early for MGS4 stuff though because I own those but they don't show up for me in LBP3

Okay I got it from the store. Weird, it says I should have the Joel costume. I have the Ellie costume, but there's no Joel even in the store.

Creaking

Okay I got it from the store. Weird, it says I should have the Joel costume. I have the Ellie costume, but there's no Joel even in the store.

A lot of the DLC is still unavailable at the moment. There should be more stuff out after the store update on Tuesday, and they said that they planned on having all non-level-pack DLC available by the 16th.

The Last of Us costume pack has Ellie available 'cause she was part of the 4ThePlayers DLC. Joel has less priority at the moment. Also, whose brilliant idea was it to include Ellie in that DLC when Joel can't be bought separately (ie, you have to pay the same price as you would for both costumes [$3] in the Last of Us Minipack just to get his. And there aren't even any stickers to go with it)?

The demo reel in this is soooooo annoying, it seems like it kicks in after just 30sec of inactivity and it does it no matter what you're doing -- in pod, in play, in create, while paused -- it's very intrusive and I hope they'll let us disable it.

SerTapTap

Can't wait to unlock Oddsock, his costumes are adorable. I played around with him in the Pod and he seems fun.

Has this game been patched up? I'm debating returning this game

It's not 100% there yet, but better than launch...unless you get the crash-at-startup bug I did but I seem to be the only one around here that was. There's at least one more major bugfix coming

As said above apparently that's a bug. I have Ellie too, not sure I saw Joel in my list or not, can't check now. At first I was worried it was a licensing thing and the MGS4 DLC just wasn't returning. But that wouldn't make sense since there's MGS5 DLC too.

SerTapTap

Since the last patch I've barely been able to play without the game being offline. Is anyone else having this problem?

Do you have screenshots? Deleting mine fixed it, online hasn't been a problem but I havent' actually been playing with others online either.

Top Bottom