• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

mrmickfran

Has anybody played the PS3 version? I was going to get it for my little brother for Christmas, but there are literally no reviews of it.

So in light of all the patch discussion I decorated my pod and so far its pretty sweet with the stickers/decos that I have so far.

15920186576_715ecaae84_o_d.jpg

Oh man that looks pretty nice.

Creaking in here has a really cool pod too haha. I really need to decorate mine...

So on PS3 profile-wise, you need the same region game to transfer your profile over with everything you've earned from the previous games. If you're jumping from PS3 to PS4, technically the game will just read your pins and let you import LBP1/2 content over (minus DLC) regardless of region. DLC is still tied to the region to bought it from and can only be read from the same game region.

So we made more intuitive "tutorials" called the Popit Academy that introduces Create Mode in Play Mode versus showing you a tutorial video and telling you what to do in LBP1/2. It teaches you the create fundamentals in a puzzle platforming fashion that should help newcomers understand how the tools work more easily. We've also made tutorials for every tool that can be found on LBP.me and can also be accessed on the PS4 version as well that's more instructional.

In all honesty, I think you kid should easily pick it up as the visual language is relatively easy to get into, but can be a huge rabbit hole if you want to get way more complex. Some schools in New York use LBP to teach game design to middle schoolers, so it should be alright.

Many thanks I was hoping you'd say something like that, I was hoping I could use the game to teach her how to program not literally but in the sense that she'd be in control and using the tools to get what she wants and after she masters it move on to something more traditional. I think this could be a good gateway into coding for smaller kids.

Many thanks I was hoping you'd say something like that, I was hoping I could use the game to teach her how to program not literally but in the sense that she'd be in control and using the tools to get what she wants and after she masters it move on to something more traditional. I think this could be a good gateway into coding for smaller kids.
No prob! It's especially nice with the visual logic gates like AND, OR, XOR, etc. as they can see how signals get passed immediately.

If you want, check out some of the tutorials here and see if that's something she can work with ^^

https://lbp.me/videos/tutorial?p=4&l=12

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No prob! It's especially nice with the visual logic gates like AND, OR, XOR, etc. as they can see how signals get passed immediately.

If you want, check out some of the tutorials here and see if that's something she can work with ^^

Just a quick question: There are a few of the Level Packs that still tell me I need to purchase them even though I've already purchased them. Is this being addressed?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah thanks again Creaking and bananafactory.

Also I ended up finding all the collectibells.. and then one. Bought all the costumes and have one leftover somehow.

Thanks for sharing, I just checked out the link. I think she could follow some of it and other stuff I can help her with. The DS4 is a bit bit for her but I think she'll manage. Looks like I'll be picking up LBP3 for PS4 this weekend.

Yeah I was wondering how to change the backgrounds (I don't have any content from LBP2).

Guess I'm stuck with the moonlit backyard?

I didn't even have the moonlit backyard when I first started the game, it was the default LBP2 background. Even though the backyard was the default in the beta, I figured I'd have to unlock it.

The other backgrounds should appear in the menu when decorating your planet/moon but no dice.

Is it possible to play the Little Big Planet 2 campaign levels in this game?

I borrowed a PS3 and LBP2 years ago and LOVED what I played of the campaign, but didn't have enough time to finish it (got maybe 1/3 of the way through iirc).

Now that I actually own a PS3, I'm debating if I should buy LBP2 or LBP3. If I can play the LBP2 campaign in 3, that would make the decision easy.

Edit: Just read a few pages back and it sounds like you can't. :( That's a shame, couldn't someone with LBP2 just open the story levels in edit mode and then upload them?

Haxxona

Banned
Huh, seeing this has made me realize that I do not have the LBP3 pod backgrounds, only the LBP2/DLC ones.

Odd.

Yeah I was wondering how to change the backgrounds (I don't have any content from LBP2).

Guess I'm stuck with the moonlit backyard?

I didn't even have the moonlit backyard when I first started the game, it was the default LBP2 background. Even though the backyard was the default in the beta, I figured I'd have to unlock it.

The other backgrounds should appear in the menu when decorating your planet/moon but no dice.
Wait a minute you can change background too? I dont know if I have done that(haven't playedlbp since vita version so I'm a bit off on everything.

How's the game guys and girls? Big fan of the last 2 but I've been overwhelmed with other games to get this day 1. Thinking of nabbing it crimbo time. Have the bugs been squished yet? :)

Wait a minute you can change background too? I dont know if I have done that(haven't playedlbp since vita version so I'm a bit off on everything.
You should be able to when decorating your planet/moon. I see people with the LBP3 backgrounds when browsing community levels, so I assume it's enabled but I can only change mine to LBP2 ones.

hesido

So on PS3 profile-wise, you need the same region game to transfer your profile over with everything you've earned from the previous games. If you're jumping from PS3 to PS4, technically the game will just read your pins and let you import LBP1/2 content over (minus DLC) regardless of region. DLC is still tied to the region to bought it from and can only be read from the same game region.

That's nice to hear that at least the default content gets read regardless of region, but I guess I need to buy LBP3 from UK if I want to continue using MGS expansion, for example.

Correcting my own sentence: "be all the region" -> "be all from the same region" :)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Pretty sure they can't be changed as standard. You can put stickers on them, though.

It'd be really nice if they would adopt a proper color-changing system (similar to changing color and brightness on tweakable materials) rather than the restrictive and limited "some-costumes-change-bits-to-match-your-pop-it-color" system.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My save seems ok so far, but my son is having his game crash on him when he tries to load the first odd sock proper level (where you are jumping off the pinball table style bumpers etc). Update is applied and no change. What steps can he try to fix it?

Hehe, I'm part of the LBP Retrospective panel as one of the speakers. ^^

It should be.

Looking forward to it. I have a bit of a random question for you but it's one that's been on my mind for years but never ran into an LBP Dev to ask. What would be the chances of being able to create and drop in our own textures one day in any possible future titles? Would that entail too many copyright issues through user content etc.

I know the game's really about using the tools provided but I've kinda always wished I could just make the texture I'm looking for when it's not there.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Outside of the Pop It freeze, I never experienced any crashes or other issues while playing the game pre-patch.

Now that the patch is up, my load times are much lomger, but the Pop it freeze is mercifully gone. I'm loving the game so far. I think LBP Vita is best in series so far, but I'm loving the new features and levels. The very rough start was disappointing, but I held off playing it until the Pop It issue was fixed. I'm still in Manglewood right now, though, but having a great time with it. Sometimes my wife will join me, and we haven't experienced any couch co-op issues.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How in the world are you supposed to get all items during Toggle's boss fight o_o
I feel like you might need a second player to weight down one of the rotating platforms for the other player to jump up.

Otherwise, yeah I have no idea.

How in the world are you supposed to get all items during Toggle's boss fight o_o

I feel like you might need a second player to weight down one of the rotating platforms for the other player to jump up.

Otherwise, yeah I have no idea.

You can do it all alone and it should only be attempted alone, really -- a second player will just get in the way and/or introduce lag. It's actually not as difficult as I first thought it would be.

There are a couple places where you need to jump as Small and then change to Big to grab or knock something over. At the part with the two white platforms on the cog wheel, you need to be Big to get it moving and change to Small at the bottom so the momentum carries you up higher to make the jump to the upper level.

If the speed of the boss was just a little slower, it would make collecting them much easier.

tch

So. Any ideas how to make Sackboy swim in space (like in that Manglewood level)? Or swim in the water material (like in the intro).

I assume I need to change the gravity and use the character animation tweaker but I have NO idea how to put it all together. I wish you could view the story levels in create mode, they would be valuable teaching tools.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You can do it all alone and it should only be attempted alone, really -- a second player will just get in the way and/or introduce lag. It's actually not as difficult as I first thought it would be.

There are a couple places where you need to jump as Small and then change to Big to grab or knock something over. At the part with the two white platforms on the cog wheel, you need to be Big to get it moving and change to Small at the bottom so the momentum carries you up higher to make the jump to the upper level.

If the speed of the boss was just a little slower, it would make collecting them much easier.
Thanks, I'm gonna try this out.

So. Any ideas how to make Sackboy swim in space (like in that Manglewood level)? Or swim in the water material (like in the intro).

I assume I need to change the gravity and use the character animation tweaker but I have NO idea how to put it all together. I wish you could view the story levels in create mode, they would be valuable teaching tools.
Hmm, you can at least use the jetpack power-up to try and prototype I imagine, although I know that's probably not exactly what you want.

I messed with it a couple days ago and came up with something like this:

- Put a Broadcast Microchip (BM) anywhere in the level and set it to interact with any character in range, with its range set to infinite.
- Put a Tag on the Water material.
- Put an Impact Sensor on the BM set to detect the tag and enable "touching."
- Put an Advanced Mover and a Controllinator on the BM.
- Set the Controllinator to Receiver/nearest player.
- Connect the Up/Down and Right/Left outputs of the Controllinator to the appropriate inputs on the Mover.
- Put an Anti-Gravity chip on the BM set to 100% with Dampening set to 20-30%.
- Use the Impact Sensor to turn everything on.

You should now float whenever you touch the tagged material and move in any direction within it -- only you'll notice that you just float, even when moving. To get it to look right, you have to then mess with the Animation tweaker and the splitting of the directional outputs to get the animations you want for every direction.

tch

Hmm, you can at least use the jetpack power-up to try and prototype I imagine, although I know that's probably not exactly what you want.

I'm actually using a sackbot so that wouldn't work. Thanks though

I messed with it a couple days ago and came up with something like this:

Cool thanks! That helps a lot. What exactly does the "touching" mean. Just that you are within the boundaries of the object, even if you aren't moving?

mess with the Animation tweaker and the splitting of the directional outputs to get the animations you want for every direction.

haha I was hoping there was a way to avoid this.

Cool thanks! That helps a lot. What exactly does the "touching" mean. Just that you are within the boundaries of the object, even if you aren't moving?

AFAIK, it's for interacting with things that don't have any physical form, like the Water, Sticker Panel, Hologram and other materials.

haha I was hoping there was a way to avoid this.

Yeah... it's the one thing I really hate about the new animation stuff and movement options. You essentially have to code your own animations for every conceivable action you want your character to perform -- and I HATE coding! >:[

I wish 3D movement and the like were just menu options to check on/off.

tch

Agreed. Haha there are 25 swimming animations alone! Yeah right!

I'll just wait by the time my level is ready there will hopefully be a chip by the community

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yikes, that's pretty rough. You can definitely do a lot better than that.
Well, looking around a bit more, here is a basic 3D tool you can get from a level and video of a guy screwing around with it.

That is pretty fucking simple. He just put it down and it worked LOL this is what we all wanted. Gonna try working this into my Evolution level ASAP

EDIT: I think steve is one of the developers, isn't he?

EDIT2: I just tried it. It's really that simple and just works.

Does anyone know if there's a way to move an object with a Follower or an Advanced mover, when it's attached to a bendy rail? I've tested out rails connected to pistons and they move through space perfectly fine but when I use movement logic instead, the rails refuse to budge.

The reason I'm asking is because I've built a functional pseudo-3d camera which uses 12 straight rails along the z axis and they're connected to an object on the front layer in a circle formation. Each of these has a camera pointed at a central point, running on a rail hook. Via a controllinator the right analogue stick changes cameras left and right, plus moves them up and down.

I've got this working perfectly in a stationary position, but naturally I want it to follow a player controlled sackbot (moving on the back wall of course).

The alternative to using rails is to have duplicate 12 camera circles on multiple layers. Id probably have to make the controllinator change camera layers with L2 and R2, rather than moving the right stick up and down, like I can currently do with the rails. This isn't ideal because it will add to the complexity of the project by quite a bit and mean that more things can go wrong.

Does anyone have a better solution? I'd be extremely grateful, thanks.

Top Bottom