• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Disappointing. My copy'll be here tomorrow, but I already agreed to do some shit with my friends. Could just tell them to leave me alone, but eh... I'll probably end up waiting till Wednesday to play this and then just blow through it in a sitting.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well we're so far at three 9 out of 10s (Famitsu gave 9s all around [36/40], Destructoid, Geekrevolt), one 8/10 (that Arabic stie), and one 3/5.

sarcoa

I could easily see where Lollipop Chainsaw could be interpreted as hot trash by some, but I absolutely loved it.

What really got me was (1) the placement of the licensed music and the (2) number of times I couldn't believe I was playing what I was playing. I mean, there are a dozen examples but to single one out Lollipop Chainsaw features a sequence that's probably as close as we're going to get to playing Pro Thunderball. A LOT of comparisons are going to be made to Saints Row 3 and I'd be interested to see if it had any legitimate effect on Lollipop Chainsaw.

But yeah, what depth combat lacks (at least on normal) is more than compensated by the absurd situations you'll find yourself playing.

Dusk Golem

I could easily see where Lollipop Chainsaw could be interpreted as hot trash by some, but I absolutely loved it.

What really got me was (1) the placement of the licensed music and the (2) number of times I couldn't believe I was playing what I was playing. I mean, there are a dozen examples but to single one out Lollipop Chainsaw features a sequence that's probably as close as we're going to get to playing Pro Thunderball. A LOT of comparisons are going to be made to Saints Row 3 and I'd be interested to see if it had any legitimate effect on Lollipop Chainsaw.

But yeah, what depth combat lacks (at least on normal) is more than compensated by the absurd situations you'll find yourself playing.

Thanks for the impressions. My friend was telling me this was the most over-the-top and hilarious Suda51 game and I was wondering if that was really true or not.

sarcoa

Thanks for the impressions. My friend was telling me this was the most over-the-top and hilarious Suda51 game and I was wondering if that was really true or not.
I can't say for sure as the only other Grasshoper game I've played is Shadows of the Damned but, yeah, it's going to be hard to top some of the insane shit in this game

Orcastar

This is getting surprisingly good reviews. It'll completely bomb in retail of course, but seems like it's actually a pretty good game. Guess I'll pick it up in a few weeks.

Also, can't wait for the inevitable onslaught of pony mashups.

Criminal Upper, Could you update the OT with the links to all of all the reviews so people can see them? If so that would be awesome :)
Edit: This thread is getting me so hyped! XD Really awesome OT and overall thread guys

Is this going to end up being Grasshoppers best reviewed game?

Dang, I'm honestly shocked at how many non-middling scores are being posted in here.

Dusk Golem

Is this going to end up being Grasshoppers best reviewed game?

Dang, I'm honestly shocked at how many non-middling scores are being posted in here.

We still have a lot of the big sites to go. IGN, for example, gave Shadows of the Damned a 7/10, so not sure how they're going to rate this. Also since of it's length I am expecting several sites to lower the score, even if the game seems to have been built as an 'arcade' type game that has more to do after completion.

burgerdog

Ps3 ver impressions:

Fuck load times. Geez. Xbox owners what say you?

Otherwise, sides are splitting. My god the licensed music

Going to install it like every game that I buy for that console, most of the time it makes a huge difference when it comes to loading times.

aegies

We still have a lot of the big sites to go. IGN, for example, gave Shadows of the Damned a 7/10, so not sure how they're going to rate this. Also since of it's length I am expecting several sites to lower the score, even if the game seems to have been built as an 'arcade' type game that has more to do after completion.

The guy that reviewed Shadows of the Damned isn't at IGN anymore.

Heads up for anybody that purchased it on AMAZON after 12 AM the page no longer shows the pre-order offer costume so you might not get it.

Dusk Golem

I think you should be fine either way if it's like Shadows of the Damned. A safe bet would be the 360 since it uses the Unreal 3 engine, but they did a good job with the PS3 version for SotD as well.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Glad to see it's getting good reviews, hope it sells well too. Not sure if I'll pick it up but if this increases the chances of me seeing NMH3 on my 360 somehow, I'm all for it.

From the Lollipop Chainsaw event in Toronto. Featuring Romero, Jessica Nigri and I. And yes that's thee George Romero, the guy whose movies heavily influenced Suda51. There's a reason the setting is named after him ;). I'm not sure if the line was long because of the game or because of him. I came for him but the gameplay demo's and this thread convinced me to get it. Don't let me down SudaGAF!

Surprinsingly good reviews. I thought it would get lower scores than SotD and end up in the lower 70% section. Still have to wait for some of the bigger websites to review it though. I don't really care how it scores, but those few reviews that have been written indicate that this is a much more polished game than I thought it would be.

Anyone picking this up from Gamestop and wants to trade costume codes? I really want the Ash costume, and I don't care for the Amazon Rockabilly costume. I'm getting the PS3 one by the way.

There is also a level named after Fulci :)

Fulci is ten times the crazy son of a bitch that Romero is. I get that they go for different things, but Romero's films are like Sesame Street compared to Fulci's. Yeah, Romero's films have some nasty shit in them, but you watch them and you're like that's sick and you go about your day.

After a Fulci movie you never want to watch horror again. I will never forgive him for that horrible eyeball death scene in Zombi. Never. It is scarred onto my brain forever. You know how when you close your eyes and you see weird patterns and shit? When I close my eyes, all I can see is that splinter of wood slowly making its way to my eyes.

I can handle a lot of stuff especially because it's all fake, but eyeball torture is a no-go for me.

Anyway back on topic, I have enough credit at Gamestop to buy this but it seems really empty and not very complex. It looks like a great rental. I would like to buy it because I like the developers and I want to own everything that Yamaoka has worked on but the game itself doesn't seem very compelling.

I did like Shadows of the Damned though, but once I was finished with it, that was it.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I need more reviews and thoughts! I'm really close in buying.

Fulci is ten times the crazy son of a bitch that Romero is. I get that they go for different things, but Romero's films are like Sesame Street compared to Fulci's. Yeah, Romero's films have some nasty shit in them, but you watch them and you're like that's sick and you go about your day.

After a Fulci movie you never want to watch horror again. I will never forgive him for that horrible eyeball death scene in Zombi. Never. It is scarred onto my brain forever. You know how when you close your eyes and you see weird patterns and shit? When I close my eyes, all I can see is that splinter of wood slowly making its way to my eyes.

I can handle a lot of stuff especially because it's all fake, but eyeball torture is a no-go for me.

Anyway back on topic, I have enough credit at Gamestop to buy this but it seems really empty and not very complex. It looks like a great rental. I would like to buy it because I like the developers and I want to own everything that Yamaoka has worked on but the game itself doesn't seem very compelling.

I did like Shadows of the Damned though, but once I was finished with it, that was it.
read my lips Brandon.

Buy eeeeeet.

Anyone picking this up from Gamestop and wants to trade costume codes? I really want the Ash costume, and I don't care for the Amazon Rockabilly costume. I'm getting the PS3 one by the way.

I'm getting it for 360 so if the card provides a 360 code and a ps3 code then we can just give each other the opposite code? I'm one of those guys who likes making sure I unlock every alt cost in games with the exception of f2p(league of legends would break me)

I'm getting it for 360 so if the card provides a 360 code and a ps3 code then we can just give each other the opposite code? I'm one of those guys who likes making sure I unlock every alt cost in games with the exception of f2p(league of legends would break me)

Seeing as mine is from Amazon, they'll probably just give me the PS3 code, but I'll PM you if that changes.

Also, I won't be getting my code until tomorrow or the next day apparently. I guess Amazon goes a little slower on that.

Orcastar

Hooray for Nordic Editions that come with all preorder bonuses no matter where you buy your game, even when you don't bother to actually preorder!

Top Bottom