• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP had a poor launch on Steam with only 800 players

hinch7

Didn't even realise this was out. Too many good games rn to even consider of what looks to be a lazy remaster of sorts.

Did enjoy the origional on PS3 so will pick this up eventually.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What makes it not a proper remake?
Certain comic still images were removed or altered to say less violent things or were removed entirely such as Juliet's intro that displayed her likes and dislikes. Not wanting to be called fat is too offensive for modern folks.

Recasted voices

Cut music due to licensing

Not a true remaster IMO.

If anyone were to get it I'd wait for a $20 sale. I'd argue that maybe $30 is a fair price. But for $45 I don't think so.

Certain comic still images were removed or altered to say less violent things or were removed entirely such as Juliet's intro that displayed her likes and dislikes. Not wanting to be called fat is too offensive for modern folks.

Recasted voices

Not a true remaster IMO.

If anyone were to get it I'd wait for a $20 sale. I'd argue that maybe $30 is a fair price. But for $45 I don't think so.
Wow. Fuck all of that nonsense.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Did they do a good job with the port/remaster/whatever the hell this is? They kept changing what this release was supposed to be.

I remember liking the original, but I remember literally nothing about it. It's tough to revive a thoroughly decent action game that had no fanfare back in.... what was it, 2011 (?) and expect it to sell. If they put it out on GOG, I'll buy it, I guess.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

Recasted voices

Not a true remaster IMO.

I had no idea they changed THAT much. No thanks.

800 concurrent players for a niche 12 year old game that literally just came out a few hours ago is actually better than I was expecting. I picked it up as a show of support because even if it's not perfect, it's an out-of-print game that has been made available again legally. That said, it does suck that they removed so many licensed songs.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'll probably wait until it is ~$10. I've never played the original and outside of Killer7, I never really got into Grasshoper's games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
800 concurrent players for a niche 12 year old game that literally just came out a few hours ago is actually better than I was expecting. I picked it up as a show of support because even if it's not perfect, it's an out-of-print game that has been made available again legally. That said, it does suck that they removed so many licensed songs.
Imma wait for sale and for the modders to do the heavy lifting. Lollipop Chainsaw without Cherry Bomb is a no no. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kind of a tough sell when Bloodrayne 1 and 2 can be obtained for $30. TR 1-3 Remastered for $30 and Castlevania Dominus(4 games ho wow) for $25.

The above games were also not altered in any large way that might detract from the OG experience.

Mayar

Thank God I didn't buy it, it was given to me...
But as someone who has platinum in the original game and after completing this "remake"

Good:
Looks better than the original, but by today's standards it's still very weak. The game is old and shows its age.
It's more enjoyable to play because the game runs smoother overall.

Flaws:
The new soundtrack is terrible, it's so bad that it's better to just turn it off right away and turn on the original through YouTube.
The person who worked on the interface clearly never saw what a normal interface looks like...
Сomplete lack of graphic settings
Some costumes were removed - collaborations

For those who want to get it, at the moment it is absolutely not worth the money that is asked for it. The minimum amount of work was done compared to the original.
The main thing to remember is that this is a very short game, overall it can be completed in 6 hours (If you rush in 4.5)from start to finish.

Sleepwalker

From this review:

Whats worse in RePOP?
- the new soundtrack is absolutely terrible compared to the OG version. The new tracks are so unbelievably bland compared to what we had before. Songs like "Hey Mickey," "Riot rhythm," "The Way of the Fist," ect all fit the game so well and for them, and more, to not be included really sucks. I don't think the devs understand how much the soundtrack added to the OG game.

Just what I feared, no buy from me.

RavageX

Maybe they should advertise it a little. Had no idea it was out, but I wasnt planning on buying it anyway.

Moses85

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

One more remake nobody needed and Nobody asked for.

Imma wait for sale and for the modders to do the heavy lifting. Lollipop Chainsaw without Cherry Bomb is a no no. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No disagreement there. Like I said in the other thread, the new menu music isn't BAD per se but it definitely does not hold up to Cherry Bomb. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that James Gunn had a hand in the soundtrack's original curation, seeing as how the music choices were right in his wheelhouse.
Kind of a tough sell when Bloodrayne 1 and 2 can be obtained for $30. TR 1-3 Remastered for $30 and Castlevania Dominus(4 games ho wow) for $25.

The above games were also not altered in any large way that might detract from the OG experience.
No question that there's better value in those other remasters, but like I said I wanted to show support for a dev that might actually need it. Konami will be fine if that Castlevania remaster bombs. This developer? I'm not so sure.
Having said that, it looks like they're getting a sufficient amount of support (it's out on consoles too, including Switch) so I might refund it for now since I'm still under 2 hours.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Was the original licensed music used in any cutscenes or was it just during the gameplay?

It would probably be easy to swap in if it was just during gameplay.

nbkicker

Ive still got my ps3 version in immaculate condition, bought on the switch and will get latter on steam, didnt go for the ps5 version incase sony done its usual thing of getting developer to censor or take stuff out, so far played for 20min and even though odd song or maybe outfit might be out due to copyright issues rest looks intact to me in origional mode, and for me i seen julia likes dislikes static screen and she goes on about being fat and fat arse

Bkdk

No regional pricing so mostly just US based sales, still in top 10 sellers in US steam, now at number 7. If they had regional pricing it's easily 2000+ concurrent players at launch, but seems like just base on US sales the game is doing ok. Not in top 10 in global sellers but it moved up in position compared to when it just launched.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Of all stupid things you can do they choise changing the OST. Why even bother.

Last edited:

hinch7

Of all stupid things you can do they choise changing the OST. Why even bother.
You can probably mod them back in but yeah the game isn't the same without the OST.

Just like Crazy Taxi on Steam, with the new songs. Just, no. That was part of the game.

Last edited:
Why bother buying this new version if you have the old one. They didn't do enough and in some ways made it worse, so time to dig up my old copy somewhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why bother buying this new version if you have the old one. They didn't do enough and in some ways made it worse, so time to dig up my old copy somewhere.

Unfortunately it's one of those games that didn't get compatibility on Series console :(

Will wait till this is on a deep sale or physical is available to rent. Absolutely no inclination to buy at full price on my end.

Unfortunately it's one of those games that didn't get compatibility on Series console :(

Will wait till this is on a deep sale or physical is available to rent. Absolutely no inclination to buy at full price on my end.
:(
I really wish they would revive the back compat team to keep working on the titles that didn't make the cut.

Pejo

Watching this game was so depressing. The guy behind the company that was remaking it was so passionate about it, and wanted the best for the game, but it's just not worth that much as an IP. I remember when they first obtained the IP, they were talking about doing a full remake. Then over time it became more of a remaster. Then we obviously lost all of the licensed stuff like the anime tie-in costumes and the amazing soundtrack because there's no way a small self published game could afford those licenses in today's climate. Then the toned down remaster just took so damn long to release. Then $40 dollars.

I feel for that Yoshimi dude because he really wanted this to be a love letter to the fans, but it just wasn't the right situation. It would have done just as well with some cleaned up IQ, high res textures, and releasing it after a few months for 30 bucks, in my opinion. I hope the team behind this was small because as I predicted in prior threads, there is no way this is making back its investment if the team behind it is more than 3-4 people.

I am picking it up, but not for 40.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I missed out on the original. Is it any good? What does it compare to?

First question is totally subjective. I really liked it but Im also biased since I love all of Sudas work.

I cant compare it to anything off the top of my head. It's a campy, arcadey hack n slashy, beat em up with upgrades and skills and all that good shit.

Top Bottom