• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP Review & Discussion Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not sure if anyone is making an OP for this, if they are, please excuse this thread.

Not a lot of reviews out yet.

Game Information

Game Title: Lollipop Chainsaw: RePOP

Platforms:
  • Xbox Series X/S (Sep 11, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Sep 11, 2024)
  • Nintendo Switch (Sep 11, 2024)
  • PC (Sep 11, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Dragami Games

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - -1 average - -1% recommended
Metacritic: No Aggregate yet

IdVpsCj.png

H6aYXr8.png

Critic Reviews

Pure Xbox - Liam Doolan - 6 / 10
Don't get us wrong, Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP is a fun fling from start to finish but it was never really a role model student when it arrived on the scene in 2012. Despite the enhancements and improvements in this latest release, the core gameplay and level design can feel quite outdated at times, and the chapter-breaking bugs have been hard to look past. If Dragami's updates resolve these glitches, or you're just a longtime fan of this one, maybe consider giving the zombie slayer an extra star for her efforts.
Smash Jump - Sam Flanagan - 8 / 10
Lollipop Chainsaw: RePOP is a vibrant, bloody, and sexy hack-and-slash game that is nothing short of a ton of fun. A few disappointing story moments and clunky gameplay moments aside, it’s a great adventure that feels rewarding and addictive at the same time.
4Players.de 80/100
Bloody and stupid: Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP is just as over the top as the original – and that's why it's still a hit today.
FULL REVIEW
Areajugones 77/100
Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP is the perfect example of how a remaster should be done. It respects the source material, significantly improves the technical aspects, and adds content that fans will appreciate. It's a game that understands its identity and fully embraces it, offering an experience that is both nostalgic and fresh.
Noisy Pixel 70/100
Lollipop Chainsaw RePOP brings the beloved 2012 zombie-slaying classic back with smoother combat and new content. Protagonist Juliet Starling’s journey mixes humor and action, though the game’s pacing is slowed by overly long stages and gimmicky minigames. While boss fights underwhelm, the satisfying upgrade system and campy charm make it worth revisiting. The remake introduces quality-of-life improvements and additional cosmetic options for players to enjoy.

Last edited:

JayK47

The release was weird. No way to pre-order it. Just came out. I may pick it up during 10% off sale on Steam, but won't have time to play it for a few weeks or so. Would be good to get a patch first to add in some graphic settings and other PC necessities.

YCoCg

I feel sorry for the devs here, the extras are a nice touch, essentially two styles to enjoy the story, BUT the music was a big part of it and not being able to relicense most of the tracks make this feel hollow despite the added content.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Lemme know when one of you gets to the stage 4 boss. Guarantee that they got rid of his "Are you retarded?!" taunt

First time I had ever heard that word used as an insult in a game. No way it gets carried over when people get offended by the word "idiot" nowadays.

JayK47

Some Steam reviews seem to indicate a poor PC port. Are console versions doing any better? Definitely seems like a good idea to wait a little longer for the PC version.

Apparently IGN are skipping reviewing this version of the game and only linking people to their original 5/10 review.

the fuck.

it's always a matter of people who aren't themselves triggered being careful not to trigger those people who might get triggered, with the strong likelihood that those people do not, in actuality, even exist...

MiguelItUp

This game had some really weird marketing/advertising tactics, it all felt pretty nonexistent. I do remember reading a lot of people being "upset" with the remake being edited compared to the original.

Madonis

Are they still pretending this is uncut?

They only removed things due to licensing issues (music, costumes from other IP), so I don't think that "uncut" would be incorrect when it comes to the actual base content of the game.

Last edited:

ssringo

Beware if buying it on Steamdeck it runs like ass and not like Juliet's.
weird, it's a PS3/360 remaster. It shouldn't be that intensive.
It runs fine but because there's no in game options you have to edit the .ini file in desktop mode and turn town scalability options. I was playing it consistent 60fps at 720p earlier today. Only cleared the first stage though.

It runs fine but because there's no in game options you have to edit the .ini file in desktop mode and turn town scalability options. I was playing it consistent 60fps at 720p earlier today. Only cleared the first stage though.
I knew something had to be up. Is the game worth replaying if I played it already back on the PS3?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
$40 and it’s a 4 hour long game without real replay value you right?

Yeah… I’ll just support shadows of the damned instead.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
LOL at the 45 Eurodollars price-point, for what it offers, it should have been 25 just like the incoming Shadows of the Damned remaster.
This is a 20€/$ (max) buy - something which will not take long (give it 2 months tops).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I can't find any clips so far of the "retard" line from the new version but so far what's been censored? Music licenses arn't censorship.

They kept it in and Im shocked lol Been watching this playthrough.

2 hours 54 min is the boss fight

It certainly looks better but yeah dude, that new music sucks. Not hearing "Hey Mickey" and instead some K-pop sounding trash just feels off as fuck.

adamsapple

Looks like it needed more time in the oven, going by Steam reviews.

At $45 this is a joke. I loved the game on 360 but I’m not revisiting it for that kind of price.

Yeah, the price always irked me as too high from the announcement.

Meanwhile, the Shadows of the Damned remaster is just $25.

RavageX

Well I am glad they didn't play with the changes much. I understand the music issue. I have been playing the original on PS3. Never got around to it back in the day. It's still not really my thing, but it is a flashback to that time period in gaming.

Stuff is too sterile these days.

peek

Ooooh, never played original, always heard about it. 2 things...

1) anyone here on PS5? If so, how does the game run? Is it solid 60fps no drops?

2) how toned down is it? I know with so many remasters/remakes it seems to always go in ONE direction when it comes to changing things to modern day sensibilities.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So I’ve been playing it on my 360 and man, I forgot how big of a deal the soundtrack is in this. Losing “Hey Mickey” is a total bummer but then I’m guessing you also lose this

Which plays through the entirety of the beginning of stage 2. Great fucking song. What the fuck do they replace this with?

JayK47

I'm afraid to hear what they replaced the music with. Someone mentioned K-pop. Yuck. I really hope a mod can bring back the old music. But maybe a mod cannot legally do that for the same reason the had to remove it.

adamsapple

I'm afraid to hear what they replaced the music with. Someone mentioned K-pop. Yuck. I really hope a mod can bring back the old music. But maybe a mod cannot legally do that for the same reason the had to remove it.

You might be able to find music mods on shadier websites but sites like Nexus etc won't host them cause of the licensing issues either.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, the price always irked me as too high from the announcement.

Meanwhile, the Shadows of the Damned remaster is just $25.
Not really, the improvement are obvious.
You can not deny there's work that's been done

Shadow of the Damned does look like a PS3/360 games at higher resolution so hence the low price.
And while people may think that's the case for Lollipop, it's not.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Not really, the improvement are obvious.
You can not deny there's work that's been done

Other than increasing resolution and changing the character model, there's not really a lot of 'improvements'. The repop mode is just like a filter and covers the gore from what I can find online.

Regardless, looking at the complaints about the performance on Steam, looks like the port came in pretty hot anyway.

Lemme know when one of you gets to the stage 4 boss. Guarantee that they got rid of his "Are you retarded?!" taunt

No, surprisingly it's still in. Found this video and timestamped the section.

edit: I see you already found that. above.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Other than increasing resolution and changing the character model, there's not really a lot of 'improvements'. The repop mode is just like a filter and covers the gore from what I can find online.

Regardless, looking at the complaints about the performance on Steam, looks like the port came in pretty hot anyway.

No, surprisingly it's still in. Found this video and timestamped the section.

edit: I see you already found that. above.

Yeah it’s bizarre. They keep that in, but then remove the “It turns me on when you say I’m not fat” from the character profile. There were some really weird choices about what stays and what goes with this one.

The soundtrack though is the real nail in the coffin for me. Such a large part of Suda experiences is the music that accompanies them, and it’s crazy that these guys didn’t realize that. Whether it’s the licensed stuff or the Yamaoka originals (I’m assuming the latter is in there).

If they couldn’t afford the licensing then they shouldn’t have even bothered in my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom