• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Mecha_Infantry said:
I have no idea why I'm up..

But this discussion has been an eye opener.

I'll start off by saying the riots and looting was wrong. There's no excuse for it, but there's always a reason (take a second to understand that). We can all shout from the rooftops as loud as we want, but no one is listening enough to each other, especially not to the kids who are asked why they are doing this, then reply with "it's fun innit", and a closer look isn't taking into why they find it fun to abuse law, power and to not have respect for others and their surroundings. I hope this thread has got some child workers, physiologists, teachers or other people who can put forward a good solid mentality report on what is going on here. But from the responses I've read, I don't think there are people like this in the thread

Like I'll say for the 100% people on here calling for the death, maiming and physical harm for some of these kids are being overly harsh. Tougher punishments, etc are fair enough- like what RadioHead is calling for.

I was in conversion with a mid-30 year old, conservative high-level manager today during lunch and he called for the killing of the kids parents and compared it to putting down dogs, to which I was greatly taken back by.

I can see why he said it though, it's because he and many others commenting (who have got a fair right to of course) are so far removed from the people doing this, that they know no one that it would affect, they'll have no blood on their hands, and those sitting pretty at home (and to be honest, it's all of us who have time to post on a gaming forum) can throw these harsh consequences out, as most know it'll never happen and you're just doing it to get your anger out on this situation

But I'm there every week. My cousins live all over South East from ages 12-28, my main group of friends are from Wood Green/Tottenham/Hackney, etc. So I see these guys getting vilified and I see a young me in them. Someone who didn't really respect the law and not much else. I know a large amount of them just need a stronger household, better direction, better understanding of self-discipline and self empowerment, rather than resorting to the simple physical threats some have asked for in this thread.

I see these kids every week, on the buses, tubes and all sort. I hear them say "Oi bruv, you're creps are dench" and I don't need Urban Dictionary to figure out what they mean. I help train these young pups in my local gym to get them to understand you got to go through pain to get results. Nor do I sit behind my computer screen and spread my hypothetical peacock tail-fan of social-class and mock them for their chavy language. Because it's my language too. I see so much in them, but so little self-respect and hunger to achieve something more meaningful than what they have now. (Ask a child whether he wants 5 sweets now, or 10 sweets in an hour. Most times the kid will take 5 sweets now)

That's why personally I can never give up what I do, the small amount that I do. I give it up for my mans who work for local charities in the ends, who try and guide them out of all this BS, out of the negativity, who work for princes trust, who work for the local sports councils and shit. But the problem is when school's finished for summer there's not much out there for them, but long arse days and single-parent households with (most times) the mother out at work all day (that's how I was brought up) not knowing where their kids are (or on the flip-side, at home not working on benefits or whatever).

I don't want to sound like a 50 cent guy, but i learnt most about what I know from the guys on the street during these times. I learnt from the elders who pointed me in the right direction, by my brother and mum who encouraged me to do something better than to live a life of BS. And I did OK, graduated, MSc masters and shit. But I will never forget where I came from, or the people I grew up with. I got/had close friends who will be locked up for the rest of their lives either in jail or under the ground who I'll never forget what they did...So this is why some of you who are quick to judge the youths, need to know sometimes flowers to spring out of proverbial weeds

All I'm saying don't give up on this generation, or the next, as it'll create more and more social separation which fuels these lot to do more of this shit because they just don't give a fuck. And I'm a Buddhist left-liberal...but you could have probably guessed that

Society hasn't failed on them, everything in their life and including themselves have failed. That's all I gotta say on this subject now. Peace

Fantastic post. Agreed on all points.

On a side note, I really hope this government doesn't continue to turn a blind eye to the root causes and actually re-increases funding to certain aspects of these communities instead of diminishing them.

Sneds

nib95 said:
Fantastic post. Agreed on all points.

On a side note, I really hope this government doesn't continue to turn a blind eye to the root causes and actually re-increases funding to certain aspects of these communities instead of diminishing them.

Yeah, great post Mecha_Infantry.

I really don't trust this government to look into the root causes of the rioting. I hope they don't just don't focus on 'more effective policing'. Obviously policing is important but there are larger/broader social problems.

Dambrosi

Banned
I see the proto-fascists in this thread have gone to bed. It's safe for me to poke my head out, at last.

Anyway, Mecha: excellent post, and agreed on all fronts. Unfortunately, you already know that the government will just take the easy way out and scapegoat the poor, whether they're anti-social rioting chavs or not, in order to justify their welfare cuts to the public. Then this bullshit will happen again next summer, during the Games, and the cycle will continue.

Because, while chav scum might be short-sighted, politicians certainly only ever look as far as the next election. Such is a fault of our current democratic system, but what can you do? As long as this is true, there'll be no lasting change in our society.

Anyway, hate to love you and leave you, but I'm off to bed. I've been up long enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Mecha_Infantry said:

I'll start off by saying the riots and looting was wrong, there were some people (as we've seen in the Telegraph) of good high social status just wanted free shit. There's no excuse for it, but there's always a reason (take a second to understand that). We can all shout from the rooftops as loud as we want, but no one is listening enough to each other, especially not to the kids who are asked why they are doing this, then reply with "it's fun innit", and a closer look isn't taking into why they find it fun to abuse law, power and to not have respect for others and their surroundings. I hope this thread has got some child workers, physiologists, teachers or other people who can put forward a good solid mentality report on what is going on here. But from the responses I've read, I don't think there are people like this in the thread

Like I'll say for the 100% people on here calling for the death, maiming and physical harm for some of these kids are being overly harsh. Tougher punishments, etc are fair enough- like what RadioHead is calling for.

I was in conversion with a mid-30 year old, conservative high-level manager today during lunch and he called for the killing of the kids parents and compared it to putting down dogs, to which I was greatly taken back by.

I can see why he said it though, it's because he and many others commenting (who have got a fair right to of course) are so far removed from the people doing this, that they know no one that it would affect, they'll have no blood on their hands, and those sitting pretty at home (and to be honest, it's all of us who have time to post on a gaming forum) can throw these harsh consequences out, as most know it'll never happen and you're just doing it to get your anger out on this situation

But I'm there every week. My cousins live all over South East from ages 12-28, my main group of friends are from Wood Green/Tottenham/Hackney, etc. So I see these guys getting vilified and I see a young me in them. Someone who didn't really respect the law and not much else. I know a large amount of them just need a stronger household, better direction, better understanding of self-discipline and self empowerment, rather than resorting to the simple physical threats some have asked for in this thread.

I see these kids every week, on the buses, tubes and all sort. I hear them say "Oi bruv, you're creps are dench" and I don't need Urban Dictionary to figure out what they mean. I help train these young pups in my local gym to get them to understand you got to go through pain to get results. I don't sit behind my computer screen and spread my hypothetical peacock tail-fan of social-class and mock them for their chavy language. Because it's my language too. You think they're lazy, well you go help rebuild Noel Park in Wood Green so some of these youngers from my ends can have somewhere to play, go help in your social community too, instead of sitting here shouting about shit you know you NEVER EVER EVER have to lift you finger to help and do (outside of taxes of course). You get your degrees, you get your job (yes, I know through working HARD), then you forget, you wash your hands of everyone else below you

I see so much in them, but so little self-respect and hunger to achieve something more meaningful than what they have now. (Ask a child whether he wants 5 sweets now, or 10 sweets in an hour. Most times the kid will take 5 sweets now)

That's why personally I can never give up what I do, the small amount that I do. I give it up for my mans who work for local charities in the ends, who try and guide them out of all this BS, out of the negativity, who work for princes trust, who work for the local sports councils and shit. But the problem is when school's finished for summer there's not much out there for them, but long arse days and single-parent households with (most times) the mother out at work all day (that's how I was brought up) not knowing where their kids are (or on the flip-side, at home not working on benefits or whatever).

I don't want to sound like a 50 cent guy, but i learnt most about what I know from the guys on the street during these times. I learnt from the elders who pointed me in the right direction, by my brother and mum who encouraged me to do something better than to live a life of BS. And I did OK, graduated, MSc masters and shit. But I will never forget where I came from, or the people I grew up with. I got/had close friends who will be locked up for the rest of their lives either in jail or under the ground who I'll never forget what they did...So this is why some of you who are quick to judge the youths, need to know sometimes flowers to spring out of proverbial weeds

All I'm saying don't give up on this generation, or the next, as it'll create more and more social separation which fuels these lot to do more of this shit because they just don't give a fuck. And I'm a Buddhist left-liberal...but you could have probably guessed that

Society hasn't failed on them, everything in their life and including themselves have failed. That's all I gotta say on this subject now. Peace

No one listened

So, uh, how did you avoid becoming a shitty chav if you come from the same background?

Mecha_Infantry said:

I'll start off by saying the riots and looting was wrong, there were some people (as we've seen in the Telegraph) of good high social status just wanted free shit. There's no excuse for it, but there's always a reason (take a second to understand that). We can all shout from the rooftops as loud as we want, but no one is listening enough to each other, especially not to the kids who are asked why they are doing this, then reply with "it's fun innit", and a closer look isn't taking into why they find it fun to abuse law, power and to not have respect for others and their surroundings. I hope this thread has got some child workers, physiologists, teachers or other people who can put forward a good solid mentality report on what is going on here. But from the responses I've read, I don't think there are people like this in the thread

Killing their parents is a bit much, but their parents should be able to be charged on their kids behalf, or take something away from the parents(whether that be benefits, housing, take away their possessions as fines, or whatever). Their parents need to take the responsibilty, get a grip of the little cunts, and teach them right from wrong, and the only way it seems to be able to do that, is to have some real consequences for the parents. I don't see why physical harm to the kids is overly harsh either. They're not averse to dishing it out themselves.

Mecha_Infantry said:

I see these kids every week, on the buses, tubes and all sort. I hear them say "Oi bruv, you're creps are dench" and I don't need Urban Dictionary to figure out what they mean. I help train these young pups in my local gym to get them to understand you got to go through pain to get results. I don't sit behind my computer screen and spread my hypothetical peacock tail-fan of social-class and mock them for their chavy language. Because it's my language too. You think they're lazy, well you go help rebuild Noel Park in Wood Green so some of these youngers from my ends can have somewhere to play,

Why the fuck should we? All they need is a field or a road. It's not like everyone in every other area grew up with youth centres, parks etc to play in. You just have the streets and a ball. Kids these days expect everything and give nothing. Make do with what you've got and earn everything you want.

Mecha_Infantry said:
go help in your social community too, instead of sitting here shouting about shit you know you NEVER EVER EVER have to lift you finger to help and do (outside of taxes of course). You get your degrees, you get your job (yes, I know through working HARD), then you forget, you wash your hands of everyone else below you

Well paying taxes is more than most of them will ever contribute.

Mecha_Infantry said:
I see so much in them, but so little self-respect and hunger to achieve something more meaningful than what they have now. (Ask a child whether he wants 5 sweets now, or 10 sweets in an hour. Most times the kid will take 5 sweets now)

Boo.Fucking.Hoo. What about they come up with productive things to do every day to keep themselves occupied rather than relying on other people to provide it for them?

Mecha_Infantry said:

No one listened

Listened to what? Kids whining about how hard they've got it whilst texting on their iphones?

My thoughts are with all my fellow gamers in London and its surrounding areas, I hope this awful situation gets resolved as soon as possible. It's really pathetic how the rioters are using Mr. Duggan's death as an excuse to rob, assault and kill their own neighbors.

Dabanton said:
This video best sums up these 'vigilantes'. Listen to the idiot at the beginning of the video.
Even better most of them had been in the pub for a few hours before they went on 'patrol'.

Protect you homes by all means but 100's of men roaming the streets looking for trouble is not what this situation calls for right now.

We are the Enfield Army

homer-the-vigilante-picture.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist this instant mental image that popped in my head when I read this. haha

rush777

Nomad Blue said:
Killing their parents is a bit much, but their parents should be able to be charged on their kids behalf, or take something away from the parents(whether that be benefits, housing, take away their possessions as fines, or whatever). Their parents need to take the responsibilty, get a grip of the little cunts, and teach them right from wrong, and the only way it seems to be able to do that, is to have some real consequences for the parents. I don't see why physical harm to the kids is overly harsh either. They're not averse to dishing it out themselves.

Why the fuck should we? All they need is a field or a road. It's not like everyone in every other area grew up with youth centres, parks etc to play in. You just have the streets and a ball. Kids these days expect everything and give nothing. Make do with what you've got and earn everything you want.

Well paying taxes is more than most of them will ever contribute.

Boo.Fucking.Hoo. What about they come up with productive things to do every day to keep themselves occupied rather than relying on other people to provide it for them?

Listened to what? Kids whining about how hard they've got it whilst texting on their iphones?

Let me guess, Tea party supporter? so ignorant and your attitude is why things will never change.

radioheadrule83 said:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-National-Discipline-campaign/241816342519535

I've submitted my earlier post as a petition to the government petitions website, but it may not be approved. In any case, here's a FB community page setting out what I posted earlier. Please "like" if you're down with it, and tell others -- and if you don't agree with it, feel free to offer suggestions for changes.
This seems to have been unfortunately posted at the end of the last page. Tis interesting enough to deserve more attention than that.

rush777 said:
Let me guess, Tea party supporter? so fucking ignorant and your attitude is why things will never change.

Fuck no. I think the Tea Party are a bunch of loons.

Ignorant how? I grew up in shitty areas with people like these.

dc89

Some disturbing news from the Stockport area.

The Cherry Tree pub was burnt down over night. It has remained vacant for a while now, but that shows you that some people out there just want to burn stuff.

SmokyDave

Mecha_Infantry said:
No one listened.
Man, never thought I'd see a Skinnyman quote on GAF.

Good post but I disagree with the idea that everyone commenting is removed from the situation (I'm certainly not). I'd also say that no-one listened when I said this would happen 5 or 10 years ago. These events haven't come as a surprise to me, nor is my opinion a knee-jerk reaction.

SteveWD40

dc89 said:
Some disturbing news from the Stockport area.

The Cherry Tree pub was burnt down over night. It has remained vacant for a while now, but that shows you that some people out there just want to burn stuff.

I was shocked more didn't happen in Stockport, I grew up in Hazel Grove and I know what a shit-hole the town centre can be, along with the fact it is surrounded by council estates and shit-holes like Adswood.

All white criminals there though, pretty low racial minority numbers so they can't paint it as a race war, won't get much coverage.

Turnstyle

At the risk of coming across as ignorant, I don't understand the argument 'the kids are bored, there's nothing for them to do!'.

I grew up in a village where there was nothing going on. I don't remember being that bored though, me and my friends used to hang out and make the most of it. We started a band, played A LOT of Mario Kart, and spent hours mucking about playing football.

There certainly wasn't anything as exotic as a youth club or community centre. We had to make our own entertainment, and we did.

It never once crossed my mind to put my foot through the window of the one shop in the village and nick all the Tangy Toms.

Slayven

SmokyDave said:

Good post but I disagree with the idea that everyone commenting is removed from the situation (I'm certainly not). I'd also say that no-one listened when I said this would happen 5 or 10 years ago. These events haven't come as a surprise to me, nor is my opinion a knee-jerk reaction.
A prophet is never appreciated in his own time.

SmokyDave said:

Fuck! I said I'll leave this thread alone!

Not everyone no, but a isproportionately large amount. You can associate with the guys from Nottingham (?), me the inner-city blacks, some inner-city Asians etc.

This is an amazing interview too. Forget the older black man, I didn't like the way he was putting some points across, but listen to the touted guy on the right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61eTtDkNjAc&sns=em

Ignore the art about god, concentrate on the positive vs negative effect on his life

Twinduct

a Master Ninja said:
It is clearly a joke. I'm not saying it's funny or clever, but it's a joke.

Well going through the person's twitter feed. Clearly its not a joke, but just a straight up troll account. It's like being trapped in 4chan when trying to read the shit.

Btw the person is clearly from America, only uses the word twat once ..

SmokyDave

Mecha_Infantry said:
Fuck! I said I'll leave this thread alone!

Not everyone no, but a isproportionately large amount. You can associate with the guys from Nottingham (?), me the inner-city blacks, some inner-city Asians etc.

This is an amazing interview too. Forget the older black man, I didn't like the way he was putting some points across, but listen to the touted guy on the right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61eTtDkNjAc&sns=em

Ignore the art about god, concentrate on the positive vs negative effect on his life
I can't watch that vid right now but I'll definitely watch it when I get in, there's been some pearls of wisdom in these street interviews.

Twinduct said:
Btw the person is clearly from America, only uses the word twat once ..
Yup. Also used the word 'faggot'. Definitely American.

SteveWD40

Plywood said:
Are things getting worse or better?

Better.

Police are well prepared and out in force, shitty weather helping things calm down and the "casual" looters who made up the bulk of the numbers and helped the real thugs blend in are now put off by Rubber Bullets, losing benefits / house and getting a record.

1200 arrests at last count I think, most from CCTV which many thought wouldn't matter.

By the time the weather improves you might have the hardcore willing to go at it again but they won't be as hard to catch as there won't be hundreds of other kids masking them, hopefully.

SmokyDave said:
Yup. Also used the word 'faggot'. Definitely American.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean. I've heard british, chinese, indian, etc. people all use this word, both in real life and in media.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
SteveWD40 said:
Better.

Police are well prepared and out in force, shitty weather helping things calm down and the "casual" looters who made up the bulk of the numbers and helped the real thugs blend in are now put off by Rubber Bullets, losing benefits / house and getting a record.

1200 arrests at last count I think, most from CCTV which many thought wouldn't matter.

By the time the weather improves you might have the hardcore willing to go at it again but they won't be as hard to catch as there won't be hundreds of other kids masking them, hopefully.
Glad to hear. :)

SmokyDave

FunkyMunkey said:
Not sure what this is supposed to mean. I've heard british, chinese, indian, etc. people all use this word, both in real life and in media.
Really? Lame. I blame Xbox Live. The term 'faggot cop' sounds extremely alien to my ears.

Just the timing of it, it's too perfect.

This is probably just a coerced training drill for police to get them prepared for the real riots that are about to occur once the economy accidentally all over the floor.

I'm not buying some anarchists are pissed at some random fuck being dead. No way. Police have been known to pretend to be anarchists. That's fact.
These are the same anti riot cops who get thrills with batoning random women in crowds, now their favorite punching bags, scumfuck junkies are running around and they're NOT doing anything?

Are they waiting for the public to demand full on martial law or something? What's the game here? Is it just to demonize protesting in the future? Seeing the governmental policy reaction to this should be interesting.

Create a problem and everyone will beg for a solution. More guns, more rights taken away, please protect us, more searches, everyone's a potential criminal. It's like watching how 1984 happens. People end up wanting their own suffocation, it's hilarious.

The real problem here, is that the police aren't doing anything, and now people are demanding ACTUAL BULLETS for these "rioters". Somethings fucking off. Did Dr Who recently feature a rioter stepping on a bunny rabbit or something.

MLH

SiriusTexra said:

This is probably just a coerced training drill for police to get them prepared for the real riots that are about to occur once the economy accidentally all over the floor.

I'm not buying some anarchists are pissed at some random fuck being dead. No way. Police have been known to pretend to be anarchists. That's fact.
These are the same anti riot cops who get thrills with batoning random women in crowds, now their favorite punching bags, scumfuck junkies are running around and they're NOT doing anything?

Are they waiting for the public to demand full on martial law or something? What's the game here? Is it just to demonize protesting in the future? Seeing the governmental policy reaction to this should be interesting.

Create a problem and everyone will beg for a solution. More guns, more rights taken away, please protect us, more searches, everyone's a potential criminal. It's like watching how 1984 happens. People end up wanting their own suffocation, it's hilarious.

The real problem here, is that the police aren't doing anything, and now people are demanding ACTUAL BULLETS for these "rioters". Somethings fucking off. Did Dr Who recently feature a rioter stepping on a bunny rabbit or something.

What!? You have clearly misunderstood what is happening here.

Some people started to protest over Mark Duggan's death, other people took advantage to to riot and then loot. Police didn't act as swiftly of harshly since they go under investigation over every act they do. People all over the country realised police are standing back and they began rioting and taking advantage of the situation.

There is no conspiracy here.

SteveWD40

SiriusTexra said:

Are you kidding, trolling or just a fucking idiot?

Choose wisely.

Mikeside

SiriusTexra said:

I think you need to chill out just a little bit.

This was OBVIOUSLY not a fake-riot started by police or whoever you think masterminded the whole plan and the whole 'omg police brutality' thing is just bullshit. I get absolutely sick of hearing it from stoner friends of mine who have a chip on their shoulder about authority, thus play this shit up - we've had a FEW incidents where police have been over-the-top in various ways, but almost always in the heat of the moment and I would suggest has more to do with not enough experience dealing with these high pressure situations than it does for some bloodlust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom