• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
But then don't you just hurt the children in the end? It also ensures the kid will be treated like crap as they cut the benefits off, not the least the problem of people trying to "hide" the child or worse.

i would have social workers pop in regularly to those families to make sure things are going okay and community stuff to help give them a good time (take them to a theme park or something). basically i don't want to breakup families and i don't want to give children nothing, i want to make it so there's little benefit to the parents trying to live on the dole forever of having a kid other than the love of a child etc, so they are disincentivized (no personal financial incentive), as i know benefit has and have nots causes a lot of social tensions. hiding the child's existence is pointless as then you get zero extra benefits instead of the essentials needed and are more fucked.

edit: i think i didn't express myself properly. i might be bad at language, so what i meant buy tapering is that you get x amount for the first three kids or whatever then much less for the fourth (bare essentials).

But then don't you just hurt the children in the end? It also ensures the kid will be treated like crap as they cut the benefits off, not the least the problem of people trying to "hide" the child or worse.

Yup, you need to disincentivise the unemployed from having kids altogether so that they don't get brought up in workless households. It used to work like that and there was never really a problem.

Tzeentch

Furret said:
Now try learning what military service means (at least in the UK).
It's cleaning lumps of coal and peeling potatoes till your thumbs bleed. It's about learning discipline not how to shoot straight.
-- That's not military service, it's serfdom.
-- I sincerely doubt the UK military are just a bunch of potato slicers.

Andrefpvs

Anyone here from Sydenham/knows if Sydenham was affected by the riots? I have a cousin living there (I don't have her contact).

Dabanton

Very interesting article from Andrew Gilligan in the Telegraph as suspected instead of the 'jobless scum' that many have rambled on about for the last few days things are a bit more complicated than that. People with jobs,older people, people with good parents and from good homes, people who preparing or are already at university caught up in a moment they are going to regret and are now rightfully being punished for it.

Though i still maintain that the hardcore looters will never be caught. Even though they have been called 'mindless' they were smart enough to come prepared.

timthumb750d.png

At Highbury Corner magistrates, the custody vans queued in the street and the paperwork poured across every spare surface yesterday.

They had been working all night, even as the roads fell silent and the local shopkeepers boarded themselves in. “Have you been home yet?” asked a dazed-looking court official to her colleague.

By the end of the day in London, 805 people had been arrested in connection with violence, disorder and looting since Saturday and 251 had been charged.

Here in court, as David Cameron condemned the “sickness” in parts of British society, we saw clearly, for the first time, the face of the riot: stripped of its hoods and masks, dressed in white prison T-shirts and handcuffed to burly security guards. It was rather different from the one we had been expecting.

Among the accused was, for instance, Laura Johnson, the 19-year-old daughter of a successful company director. She lives in a detached converted farmhouse in Orpington, Kent, with extensive grounds and a tennis court.

She is an English and Italian undergraduate at Exeter, favourite of the Boden-wearing classes. Before that, she attended St Olave’s Grammar, the fourth-best state school in the country, and its sister school, Newstead Wood, gaining nine GCSE A grades and four A*s.

At St Olave’s, she studied A-levels in French, English literature, geography and classical civilisation. Yesterday, at Highbury, she was accused of something slightly less civilised – looting the Charlton Curry’s superstore of electrical goods worth £5,000.

The case was transferred to Bexleyheath magistrates where she was placed on bail with a strict curfew. Her parents, Robert and Lindsay, run Avongate, a direct marketing company, but Mr Johnson was also a director of a company that took over the Daily Sport and Sunday Sport newspapers in 2007. A neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: “I just wouldn’t expect someone from round here to be accused of this.”

Another defendant who could not have been motivated by need or despair was an 11-year-old child. When sitting down, the scrawny, rosy-cheeked little boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, could barely be seen in the youth court’s high-security dock. In a smart blue adidas tracksuit, he bit his nails and shifted from foot to foot as he admitted looting a Debenhams in his home town of Romford, Essex. Charges of violent disorder were dropped. He was, it transpired, already on a “referral order” for another, unrelated offence.

He had been in custody since Monday, arrested at 10.30pm with a mob of 20 other children – though his offence, reaching through a broken window and stealing a waste paper basket on display, was hardly the crime of the century. The mother who had let him roam the streets was in court, angry and aggressive, refusing to talk to the press.

The judge, James Henderson, seemed as nonplussed as we were. “Eleven is too young for a tag, isn’t it?” he asked his clerk. “I can’t even detain someone who’s under 12.”

After being bailed to his family, and sent to his local court for sentencing, the boy set off alone down the street, before his aunt and mother chased after him, dragging him back by the scruff of his neck.

Most defendants conformed more closely to Mr Cameron’s “sick society” template. There was Richard Myles-Palmer, with a foot-long list of convictions, found wheeling a shopping trolley full of stolen power tools through south London. He and his co-defendant, Jason Gary White, pleaded guilty. Humble in the dock in their white issue T-shirts, they were transformed men when they emerged from court, masked up and making hand signals of defiance.

They may not have the last laugh, for they were referred to the Crown Court for sentence. The maximum penalty available at Highbury was six months. But most cases yesterday were referred to courts which can send you to prison for ten years.

At Highbury, only a minority had no record. Many seemed to be career criminals. Most were teenagers or in their twenties, but a surprising number were older. Most interestingly of all, they were predominantly white, and many had jobs.

Christopher James Harte, a 23-year-old scaffolder, pleaded guilty to taking a pair of Lacoste trainers and a bodywarmer from a sportswear shop in Hackney. “Sorry, I’m panicking,” he said, as he gave his address wrong. Anxious, wiping his eyes, he seemed the classic opportunistic looter who saw a chance and took it.

Alexis Bailey, 31, a worker at a primary school, admitted being part of a mob that tried to loot an electrical shop in Croydon. Bailey, who earns £1,000 a month at Stockwell Primary School, south London, left court with a newspaper over his face. A headline about “copycat cretins” covering his eyes, he walked into a lamp-post.

A postman and his A-level student nephew were caught by police in a Ford Focus full of stolen televisions and laptops outside a looted superstore, City of Westminster magistrates’ court heard. Jamal Ebanks, 18, and Jeffrey Ebanks, 32, were stopped outside PC World in Prospect Retail Park, Croydon, at about 9pm on Monday. Jamal admitted breaking into a nearby Comet and stealing two Acer laptops and a BlackBerry tablet worth £1,000 and handling a stolen 32in Toshiba television worth £700. Jeffrey, a postman since 2004, admitted dishonestly receiving a JVC flatscreen.

Samon Adesina, 23, a student, is said to have been one of the looters carrying a flatscreen television away from Surrey Quays shopping centre. He was remanded in custody for a week and will miss his final exam in electrical engineering at an unspecified university, Tower Bridge magistrates’ court heard. At Camberwell Green, an Essex University student, Banye Kenon, was accused of looting a Curry’s.

As one lawyer said, these defendants might well have been the second wave of looters: too old, slow or stupid to avoid getting caught. But yesterday at least, the underclass stereotype beloved of certain politicians simply did not apply.

And while the courtrooms, with their parade of defendants, felt more like railway stations, Mr Cameron’s other promise, of swift judicial retribution, was very much beginning to be achieved.

Dead Man

Dabanton said:
Very interesting article from Andrew Gilligan in the Telegraph as suspected instead of the 'jobless scum' that many have rambled on about for the last few days things are a bit more complicated than that. People with jobs,older people, people with good parents and from good homes, people who preparing or are already at university caught up in a moment they are going to regret and are now rightfully being punished for it.

Though i still maintain that the hardcore looters will never be caught. Even though they have been called 'mindless' they were smart enough to come prepared.
This needs more publicity. Rather than just blaming the poor and pandering to conservatives.

Empty said:
edit: i think i didn't express myself properly. i might be bad at language, so what i meant buy tapering is that you get x amount for the first three kids or whatever then much less for the fourth (bare essentials).

See but I think that will still hurt the children. Once again it creates a child who is causing them to get less money. If the money is being spent on the children (big if sometimes). That means the money for the first 3 children will have to be rationed to cover the shortfall of the 4th.

I just fell a situation that encourages no more children (and thus no drain on existing children or creating a loss-leader child), is more humane than diverting resources from children in existence.

Ronok

Stuff was going on down at the bottom end of Haverstock Hill, and helicopters were flying over my house. Apparently there was a fire and there is a cordoned off area.
Looks like scum started seeping out the cracks once again and the police had to sort it out.

Dabanton said:
I still maintain that the hardcore looters will never be caught. Even though they have been called 'mindless' they were smart enough to come prepared.
Exactly, they came prepared, didn't show their faces like some idiots did and probably took countermeasures on the way home.

Dabanton said:

Then why did he write this

Another defendant who could not have been motivated by need or despair was an 11-year-old child. When sitting down, the scrawny, rosy-cheeked little boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, could barely be seen in the youth court’s high-security dock. In a smart blue adidas tracksuit, he bit his nails and shifted from foot to foot as he admitted looting a Debenhams in his home town of Romford, Essex. Charges of violent disorder were dropped. He was, it transpired, already on a “referral order” for another, unrelated offence.

He had been in custody since Monday, arrested at 10.30pm with a mob of 20 other children – though his offence, reaching through a broken window and stealing a waste paper basket on display, was hardly the crime of the century. The mother who had let him roam the streets was in court, angry and aggressive, refusing to talk to the press.

The judge, James Henderson, seemed as nonplussed as we were. “Eleven is too young for a tag, isn’t it?” he asked his clerk. “I can’t even detain someone who’s under 12.”

After being bailed to his family, and sent to his local court for sentencing, the boy set off alone down the street, before his aunt and mother chased after him, dragging him back by the scruff of his neck.

Most defendants conformed more closely to Mr Cameron’s “sick society” template. There was Richard Myles-Palmer, with a foot-long list of convictions, found wheeling a shopping trolley full of stolen power tools through south London. He and his co-defendant, Jason Gary White, pleaded guilty. Humble in the dock in their white issue T-shirts, they were transformed men when they emerged from court, masked up and making hand signals of defiance.

Spokker

Dead Man said:
This needs more publicity. Rather than just blaming the poor and pandering to conservatives.
The article seems to be focusing on the surprising cases but stresses the following.
At Highbury, only a minority had no record. Many seemed to be career criminals.
No doubt that this article will be bandied about to "prove" that the rioters were such a diverse bunch. I have no doubt that some idealistic students went all in thinking this was the next Vietnam protest, and are going to be rightfully handed their asses back to them. The engineering student who is missing his final exam is getting everything he has coming to him. Will they allow him to continue his schooling? Take away his spot for someone more deserving.

Dabanton

Dead Man said:

Over the next few days i think people are going to be surprised at the sort of people who have been caught up in this.

Dead Man

Spokker said:
The article seems to be focusing on the surprising cases but stresses the following.

No doubt that this article will be bandied about to "prove" that the rioters were such a diverse and happy bunch.
Of course the majority of criminals have a prior criminal record. Big shock. That doesn't really mean anything else without more information about them.

Edit: And you forgot the following to your selective little quote:
Most interestingly of all, they were predominantly white, and many had jobs.

The thing that baffles me as an American about the whole "dole" system is that, from what I gather in this thread, there's no requirement for recipients to find work.

Granted, we had a similar system until we reformed it in the 1990s. It depends on the state, but most states require that recipients find work within two years or risk losing benefits. It's something like you have work at least 30hrs a week if you are single or at least 35 if you are in a two parent household to keep getting benefits. Even then, the benefits are generally food stamps, housing assistance, childcare assistance, etc.

Of course, it sounds like a lot of these people are unskilled and I'm sure the job market isn't that great right now, but what about job placement assistance or something. I mean, it doesn't take much skill to work at McDonald's or something and the world still needs unskilled laborers at this point. It just seems like the welfare system over there is in need of some serious reform, especially with government housing.

We learned the hard way that if you just stick poor, unemployed people in projects and government-built high rises it only breeds crime.

Edit: I just missed the above article about some of the other looters. I didn't mean to imply that all the looters were, what you guys would call "chavs" I guess.

leadbelly

Banned
At Highbury, only a minority had no record. Many seemed to be career criminals. Most were teenagers or in their twenties, but a surprising number were older. Most interestingly of all, they were predominantly white, and many had jobs.

I wonder what Nick Griffin would make of this.

Spokker

GillianSeed79 said:
The thing that baffles me as an American about the whole "dole" system is that, from what I gather in this thread, there's no requirement for recipients to find work.
Even before welfare reform we had the earned income tax credit, which required you to work in order to receive it. It has been expanded over the years.

Empty

GillianSeed79 said:

Granted, we had a similar system until we reformed it in the 1990s. It depends on the state, but most states require that recipients find work within two years or risk losing benefits. It's something like you have work at least 30hrs a week if you are single or at least 35 if you are in a two parent household to keep getting benefits. Even then, the benefits are generally food stamps, housing assistance, childcare assistance, etc.

Of course, it sounds like a lot of these people are unskilled and I'm sure the job market isn't that great right now, but what about job placement assistance or something. I mean, it doesn't take much skill to work at McDonald's or something and the world still needs unskilled laborers at this point. It just seems like the welfare system over there is in need of some serious reform, especially with government housing.

We learned the hard way that if you just stick poor, unemployed people in projects and government-built high rises it only breeds crime.

this isn't true. there's no need to get work to get child and disability benefits which are what people are generally talking about when you see stories about welfare state excesses in the uk, but general unemployment benefits is even called the jobseekers allowance because to get it you need to go to the job centre and prove you are looking for work. there are even schemes in some areas where people on it will have to work at private companies to get their dole money.

Empty said:
this isn't true. there's no need to get work to get child and disability benefits which are what people are talking about when you see stories about welfare states excesses, but general unemployment benefits is even called the jobseekers allowance because to get it you need to go to the job centre and prove you are looking for work. there are schemes where people on it will work at private companies too to get it.

What proof do they need and how long can the benefits last for?

Empty said:
this isn't true. there's no need to get work to get child and disability benefits which are what people are generally talking about when you see stories about welfare state excesses in the uk, but general unemployment benefits is even called the jobseekers allowance because to get it you need to go to the job centre and prove you are looking for work. there are even schemes in some areas where people on it will have to work at private companies to get their dole money.

That makes more sense. I don't really get the whole "dole" system. From what it sounded like people were just getting welfare checks, free government housing and bonuses if they popped out a kid, but I guess I'm wrong. The U.S. system has its faults as well I suppose.

Spokker

Dead Man said:
Edit: And you forgot the following to your selective little quote:
The United Kingdom is 85% white British and another 5% is white other. Since poor white trash exists there, plenty of white people are going to be rioting.

Dead Man

Spokker said:
The United Kingdom is 85% white British and another 5% is white other. Since poor white trash exists there, plenty of white people are going to be rioting.
Notice I didn't bold the white?

GillianSeed79 said:
That makes more sense. I don't really get the whole "dole" system. From what it sounded like people were just getting welfare checks, free government housing and bonuses if they popped out a kid, but I guess I'm wrong. The U.S. system has its faults as well I suppose.

That is pretty much how it works. The only people who have to prove they are looking for work are the 1.5m on JSA out of about 5m people on out of work benefits. The biggest con has been incapacity benefits, but the new government have implemented strict testing (thought up but not used by the last government) for continued IB eligibility. The number of people on JSA has risen sharply because of this new test.

Wiseblade

Spokker said:
Actually, many of the buroughs that experienced rioting have 50-65% white population. If convictions in those areas are "predominantly white" then that's pretty telling.

Dead Man

Spokker said:
Yes, many had jobs. So? What does that mean? 30% had jobs? 50% had jobs? 100%?
It kind of damages the argument it is only the unemployed welfare cheats rioting. That is the point. But if you don't want to see that, carry on, I guess.

Spokker

Dead Man said:
It kind of damages the argument it is only the unemployed welfare cheats rioting. That is the point. But if you don't want to see that, carry on, I guess.
Hahaha, okay then, if the gainfully employed are the majority rioting in the United Kingdom then that country is worse off than I thought.

Then it really wasn't ever about the initial guy who was shot by police or the victimization of the poor. It was about lifeguards wanting a new Droid.

Dead Man said:
Chavs can still have unskilled and/or part time work too, doesn't meant they're not assholes or cheat other welfare benefits.

Employed doesn't mean a physics Professor, it could mean jizz moper.

Shiloa said:
Has this one been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idfg9BHgDnQ

My god.

Doesn't surprise me. Just look at the amount of people blaming immigration and multiculturalism after saying the riots are due to blacks. These people make even less sense than the looters

Dead Man said:

It'd be interesting to read any studies on the sociological reason why seemingly well-off individuals and people who have never been in trouble before involve themselves in riots. I mean you saw university students in Vancouver. In the U.S., you see riots after sporting events and even mini-riot-type situations after college sports like football. Where I live, it's customary for students to randomly burn couches if our team wins a game.

There's got to be some sort of primal, subconscious part of our brain that kicks in and over rules reason and judgement sometimes in mass crowd dynamics or something.

Spokker

Yo Gotti said:
You guys are so distracted by identifying and isolating the rioters that you completely miss any sort of larger picture.
When they raise the retirement age from 65 to 66, I know I just want to burn down my local Sprint store. They increased my tuition a few times in the past few years. Everybody on Twitter let's go burn down Al's Shoe Barn.

Dead Man

Spokker said:
Hahaha, okay then, if the gainfully employed are the majority rioting in the United Kingdom then that country is worse off than I thought.

Then it really wasn't ever about the initial guy who was shot by police or the victimization of the poor. It was about lifeguards wanting a new Droid.
Exactly.

Chavs can still have unskilled and/or part time work too, doesn't meant they're not assholes or cheat other welfare benefits.

Employed doesn't mean a physics Professor, it could mean jizz moper.
Of course employed people can be arseholes, that's the point. So when people are saying it has come about due to to much unemployment welfare, or welfare entitlement, this sort of removes that argument. All kids of people are shit, not just the poor or the unemployed.

Spokker said:
The Associated Press paints them as young and poor.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...Bk0bow?docId=cd4093495fc14bd5bf72dbe784f6c2f1

It will be better when we can get a better idea of the proportions but "most" is still more descriptive than "many."
Poor =/= unemployed welfare cheat. Working poor are common as hell.

GillianSeed79 said:
It'd be interesting to read any studies on the sociological reason why seemingly well-off individuals and people who have never been in trouble before involve themselves in riots. I mean you saw university students in Vancouver. In the U.S., you see riots after sporting events and even mini-riot-type situations after college sports like football. Where I live, it's customary for students to randomly burn couches if our team wins a game.

There's got to be some sort of primal, subconscious part of our brain that kicks in and over rules reason and judgement sometimes in mass crowd dynamics or something.
Crowd dynamics are a very powerful thing, and something that historically has been very beneficial for an individual until the last couple thousand years.

Spokker

Dead Man said:
Not just worse off in terms of economic conditions, but culturally. If you riot at the drop of a hat then how could you really make it through any kind of economic turmoil?

But I don't think that is what's going on. It'll be interesting to study this once everybody moves onto another topic entirely.

Dead Man said:
Of course employed people can be arseholes, that's the point. So when people are saying it has come about due to to much unemployment welfare, or welfare entitlement, this sort of removes that argument. All kids of people are shit, not just the poor or the unemployed.
No, it's more the point that they can be employed, just not have any desire to try and advance and make more money/improve station in life. It also doesn't meant they don't screw around with other benefits either.

I also think Chavs does not equal poor or unemployed. That's unfair to the poor and unemployed who actually want something better in life.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Spokker said:
When they raise the retirement age from 65 to 66, I know I just want to burn down my local Sprint store. They increased my tuition a few times in the past few years. Everybody on Twitter let's go burn down Al's Shoe Barn.

Lol. This was seriously funny.

I have no idea why I'm up..

But this discussion has been an eye opener.

I'll start off by saying the riots and looting was wrong, there were some people (as we've seen in the Telegraph) of good high social status just wanted free shit. There's no excuse for it, but there's always a reason (take a second to understand that). We can all shout from the rooftops as loud as we want, but no one is listening enough to each other, especially not to the kids who are asked why they are doing this, then reply with "it's fun innit", and a closer look isn't taking into why they find it fun to abuse law, power and to not have respect for others and their surroundings. I hope this thread has got some child workers, physiologists, teachers or other people who can put forward a good solid mentality report on what is going on here. But from the responses I've read, I don't think there are people like this in the thread

Like I'll say for the 100% people on here calling for the death, maiming and physical harm for some of these kids are being overly harsh. Tougher punishments, etc are fair enough- like what RadioHead is calling for.

I was in conversion with a mid-30 year old, conservative high-level manager today during lunch and he called for the killing of the kids parents and compared it to putting down dogs, to which I was greatly taken back by.

I can see why he said it though, it's because he and many others commenting (who have got a fair right to of course) are so far removed from the people doing this, that they know no one that it would affect, they'll have no blood on their hands, and those sitting pretty at home (and to be honest, it's all of us who have time to post on a gaming forum) can throw these harsh consequences out, as most know it'll never happen and you're just doing it to get your anger out on this situation

But I'm there every week. My cousins live all over South East from ages 12-28, my main group of friends are from Wood Green/Tottenham/Hackney, etc. So I see these guys getting vilified and I see a young me in them. Someone who didn't really respect the law and not much else. I know a large amount of them just need a stronger household, better direction, better understanding of self-discipline and self empowerment, rather than resorting to the simple physical threats some have asked for in this thread.

I see these kids every week, on the buses, tubes and all sort. I hear them say "Oi bruv, you're creps are dench" and I don't need Urban Dictionary to figure out what they mean. I help train these young pups in my local gym to get them to understand you got to go through pain to get results. I don't sit behind my computer screen and spread my hypothetical peacock tail-fan of social-class and mock them for their chavy language. Because it's my language too. You think they're lazy, well you go help rebuild Noel Park in Wood Green so some of these youngers from my ends can have somewhere to play, go help in your social community too, instead of sitting here shouting about shit you know you NEVER EVER EVER have to lift you finger to help and do (outside of taxes of course). You get your degrees, you get your job (yes, I know through working HARD), then you forget, you wash your hands of everyone else below you

I see so much in them, but so little self-respect and hunger to achieve something more meaningful than what they have now. (Ask a child whether he wants 5 sweets now, or 10 sweets in an hour. Most times the kid will take 5 sweets now)

That's why personally I can never give up what I do, the small amount that I do. I give it up for my mans who work for local charities in the ends, who try and guide them out of all this BS, out of the negativity, who work for princes trust, who work for the local sports councils and shit. But the problem is when school's finished for summer there's not much out there for them, but long arse days and single-parent households with (most times) the mother out at work all day (that's how I was brought up) not knowing where their kids are (or on the flip-side, at home not working on benefits or whatever).

I don't want to sound like a 50 cent guy, but i learnt most about what I know from the guys on the street during these times. I learnt from the elders who pointed me in the right direction, by my brother and mum who encouraged me to do something better than to live a life of BS. And I did OK, graduated, MSc masters and shit. But I will never forget where I came from, or the people I grew up with. I got/had close friends who will be locked up for the rest of their lives either in jail or under the ground who I'll never forget what they did...So this is why some of you who are quick to judge the youths, need to know sometimes flowers to spring out of proverbial weeds

All I'm saying don't give up on this generation, or the next, as it'll create more and more social separation which fuels these lot to do more of this shit because they just don't give a fuck. And I'm a Buddhist left-liberal...but you could have probably guessed that

Society hasn't failed on them, everything in their life and including themselves have failed. That's all I gotta say on this subject now. Peace

Skinnyman telling us about this happening said:
Does it seem, the whole of this manor is cursed
like the bubble is boilin and just waitin to burst
this generations gettin worse-these yoot man are comin up
nuttins out there for 'em so they just don't give a fuck
and they gettin to lose for them/they're out on streets late nights confused again
you put your feet in
their shoes for them
and you see what you can do for them
and you too might screw for them
and this ain't really nuttin new for them
a man like you will probably label them a hooligan

No one listened

radioheadrule83 said:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-National-Discipline-campaign/241816342519535

I've submitted my earlier post as a petition to the government petitions website, but it may not be approved. In any case, here's a FB community page setting out what I posted earlier. Please "like" if you're down with it, and tell others -- and if you don't agree with it, feel free to offer suggestions for changes.

To add, This is RadioHead's movement on Facebook. Whilst I don't agree with it all, something like this, well constructed, well thought and should be presented more in this thread

• Parliament should consider that during a child’s formative years, teachers and schools are the most appropriate, impartial entities capable of considering and assessing a child’s behaviour. These teachers often spend more waking hours of the day with children than their parents do. Schools should be given more authoritative powers to refer children and their families to social services and the police. They should be able to detain children punitively without objection from parents, move the child to another area of the school, to another school entirely, or to simply separate them from certain friends indefinitely. They should be given more powers to monitor and if necessary, search students.

Like I say, at the minute it seems extreme punishment is the easiest way for some people to resolve this current issue, whether I agree with that or not is not the case here. Punishment should be a 2nd choice, 1st choice should be better teaching, parenting, social and home lives. But ultimately some people will always be bad, combine hard but fair punishment with what I propose as "Fixing a Broken Britain" (HAR DERP DERP CAMERON), then I believe not prodominately this generation, but many more down the line will benefit from it greatly

K444WSR

Very nice post mecha and one I can relate to.

It's very important to punish those who were involved in the appalling riots but it's also important to understand how to avoid it in the future. Everytime I hear the term 'lost generation' on the news I cringe and think how can we be already giving up on people still in their teens. More needs to be done to support them and their communities and it needs to be done by people who understand them best. People who've gone through similar upbringings and made a life for themselves. Its going to be very interesting to see how the government handled this issue going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom