• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lone Survivor |OT| more Silent Hill than Downpour

By the way (beware, ending spoilers ahead),
if anyone has infos on a hypothetical third ending, I'll be glad to hear them. It seems logical you have one ending by type of pills, but last time I checked everybody ended up with either the blue ending or the green ending. I'd be very interested to know what happens in the third outcome.

I got the blue ending myself and found someone on YouTube who got all three supposedly, and they said that they couldn't tell a different between the two different blue endings. Maybe they thought they got it and really didn't, I don't know. I read a comment somewhere else saying the same thing, though.

oh, the trailer kinda made it seem a little like that with the interactions with objects

how does it play then?

It's a sidescroller with stealth and some shooting thrown in. You can mix up the two, play completely stealth, or just kill everything (assuming you have the ammo). I mean, there are some puzzles and exploring but I don't see it as an adventure game, really. I'd just call it survival horror. It's pretty creepy for a 2D game.

It's meant to be a mask. I never even noticed it looking like a grin until someone in another topic point it out. Now it's all I see haha

I almost pulled the "I was kidding" card, but... I wasn't, now I realize that after trying the demo. I didn't know he was wearing a breathing mask when I watched the trailer and I was like ok this trollface is going to ruin the entire game for me.

Wow, the music is very good. I'm really, really digging this so far. lol @ item pickup jingle.

Dascu

Just finished it, got the
Green ending, mental sanity of C-
. Really liked the game. Props to Jasper Byrne for creating a fine 2D survival-horror game.

Lain

Put in some more time, made some progress and died 3 or 4 times. It's soooo creepy, especially when forgetting to turn off the light before opening a door or entering/exiting a hole.
Some really sweet touches in the game, like the
dreams when using the blue pills

Teknoman

I almost pulled the "I was kidding" card, but... I wasn't, now I realize that after trying the demo. I didn't know he was wearing a breathing mask when I watched the trailer and I was like ok this trollface is going to ruin the entire game for me.

Wow, the music is very good. I'm really, really digging this so far. lol @ item pickup jingle.

I know right? Would be crazy to see what he could do given a larger budget.

won't have any money in my account until Monday, stupid bank takes forever with money transfers. was hoping to play it this weekend so I guess I'll keep playing that flash demo. :p

JEKKI

I recently beat To The Moon and had this game on my radar for the next game I wanna play since I'm actually too broke to pick up Downpour lol.

I jus wish the OP had like an actual link to the game's website o_O

the demo link doesnt count lol.

Salsa

Finished it. Clocked around 4 hours, got the blue ending.

Really really loved it. I think what i like most about it is that unlike your typical indie "experience" with similar themes; this one's really gamey. The mechanics and the survival aspects were really fun.

Might come back later on and do another run (maybe without killing any monster or something like that)

get on it, rest of GAF!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I played the demo for this today. Looks sick, I'll probably grab it later once it is included in an indie bundle or the price drops a bit more.

Can't access these, laptop is old and runs Linux.

I'd love play this some day, if Konami can't deliver a proper Silent Hill experience, I'm 100% percent open to somebody else providing that.

Ive been playing it, fantastic game. Really really great atmosphere about it. Looking forward to diving deeper once I have some free time.

eXistor

I wish he altered the sprite for the main character, I can't unsee the giant grin on his face. Kinda kills the mood for me.

TheBear

When the last one runs out you die and get some new ones automatically.

This didn't happen to me? I have no batteries in the flashlight and I can't progress, and dying just sends me back to the main menu. What about the pills?

Dachande

This didn't happen to me? I have no batteries in the flashlight and I can't progress, and dying just sends me back to the main menu. What about the pills?

You
can take a blue pill
. Is this the first time you've run out of batteries? If so, that sounds like a bug...

haikira

Don't really have anything terribly original to say about this one. But if throwing out another two thumbs up, helps convince more people to check this out. *Two Thumbs Up*

This game is just dripping with amazing atmosphere. The sound design is really good too. While I can't pin point it, the game brings me back to the original silent hill, more than any of the other games. Perhaps it's the fact there's some imagination required on the players part. But I think it's more than that.

About it being an adventure game. It's no more so, than any Silent Hill or Resident Evil. I'm probably the worst adventure game player in the world. So trust me on this one.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Pixel art is one thing, but man the mosaic effect punched to the max on that is just making it difficult for me to tell what's going on. Shame, I love the feel I get from it otherwise. Maybe someday...

Oh, that was a mask? I was wondering what the giant grin was all about. Well... back to my point about not being able to tell wtf is going on in that trailer. Oh well.

Maybe because I'm a medical student I saw it as a surgical mask first. Can't believe it actually ruining someone's experience, just make the cognitive switch in your brain associating horror with medicine.

Diamond

Try the pills, yes ! You must sleep after eating one, and you'll see it's the solution if you're short on batteries or bullets.

eXistor

Maybe because I'm a medical student I saw it as a surgical mask first. Can't believe it actually ruining someone's experience, just make the cognitive switch in your brain associating horror with medicine.

It's certainly not ruining the game for me, I just have a hard time seeing it as a mask, it really doesn't look like one. Sneaking past enemies is more funny than tense to me.

Pejo

This looks amazing. Games like these are the reason i love GAF, I never would have known about it otherwise. Picking it up today when i get home.

Ledsen

It's certainly not ruining the game for me, I just have a hard time seeing it as a mask, it really doesn't look like one. Sneaking past enemies is more funny than tense to me.

Could you draw on it to show how it's a mouth and not a mask? I can't see it :(

Mognet

Just completed the game.

I got the blue ending. I had so many questions that were left unanswered! how are the other endings? not sure if I want to play through again to get the other two.

Overall I think it was a great atmospheric game and enjoyed it a lot.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Loved this game when I played it, thinking about going through it again to get the new Red Ending that was added to 1.1. (unspoiled on that right now as well, or even how to get it).

On the third ending before the game was updated
there are two blue endings, they are similar but have differences. To my knowledge, in the main one yo shoot him and he doesn't die and you turn into him, in the other one you shoot and kill him. Some dialogue and thematic differences as well.

Jasper says he plans to at least provide one more update to include some more fixes if anything is found and add a 'Yellow' ending.

willooi

Is there anyway to change the resolution?

Or the graphics?

Or play it in a window and not full screen?

Just started it up, and I really don't like the font. How do I adjust the settings? Are there even any?

You can only play it in full screen mode, but the Q and W keys let you adjust the aspect ratio down or up.

Basically, just hammer away at the Q key repeatedly to make it shrink down...sadly, you'll have to do this every time you start the game.

Peterthumpa

One thing's for sure: this thread would never exist if Salsa was still resting his shoes on GAF's limbo for banned individuals.

I figured this was the idea, with all the ways it's messing with what is "real" and how things are perceived. Am I over-reaching.

Really enjoyed this. I didn't think 2D survival horror would work out but it's pretty true to the genre.

Bought it on Steam for my sister as a gift.. yes, a gift.

I'll be playing it while she's away from her computer. And yes, I don't know how to view the main character without seeing the trollface, and it's very distracting.

Otherwise, very interesting game and love the atmosphere it manages to create in 2D.

El Sloth

Banned
This game looks very very awesome. However with summer so close my mind is telling I should for any possible price drops. Yes, I am a cheap bastard (and also a poor college student in debt).

My heart wants this now though. It wants it bad.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Tain

Sounded like something I was in the mood for from the thread title, but then I saw the screens. With aesthetics like that, this game really can't give me what I want from a Silent Hill game, even ignoring the lack of mechanical similarties. Demo didn't help!

You can only play it in full screen mode, but the Q and W keys let you adjust the aspect ratio down or up.

Basically, just hammer away at the Q key repeatedly to make it shrink down...sadly, you'll have to do this every time you start the game.
I figured that out by accident. I really hope some better options get patched in. :\ I don't think I'm going to play this until there are, because it does not look flattering on my screen.

Top Bottom