• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longlegs | First (terrifying) trailer for the horror film starring Nicolas Cage & Maika Monroe

DosGamer

I hate spiders and avoided these trailers like the plague thinking it had something to do with them.....
I need to check this out.

SJRB

Gold Member
This movie starts unbelievably strong with great visuals, audio design, acting and a surreal/occult vibe but never reaches the potential it's hinting at and the finale is okay at best. Some of the detective work is great but some is kinda goofy and the payoff isn't really great, I guess? The ending is both cool and stupid at the same time, somehow. Feels like it's missing something but I don't know why.

I think frequently cutting to segments of Longlegs doing random things was a huge mistake, it sucked the mystery out of the entire experience. Dude was just a weirdo, until he was literally Satan's minion. In a way I respect that the movie went all in with the "Satan is real" angle instead of keeping it vague.

Some insane visuals and camerawork either way, movie was beautiful to watch.

Vyse

Gold Member
My kids went last night (they are in their 20’s). Younger daughter loved it. Really liked the slow build up. Older daughter thought it was to slow paced. 🤣🤣🤣

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I went to see this and quite a way into the film saw a parent with a young kid walk into the screening. A bit later the interview scene happened and the kid ran out crying, never to return.

Lights come up at the end of the movie and I hear a guy a few rows back say that they had taken the kid to see Inside Out 2, but because they got there late thought they would just walk into another random screen. Chose poorly.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I went to see this and quite a way into the film saw a parent with a young kid walk into the screening. A bit later the interview scene happened and the kid ran out crying, never to return.

Lights come up at the end of the movie and I hear a guy a few rows back say that they had taken the kid to see Inside Out 2, but because they got there late thought they would just walk into another random screen. Chose poorly.

Bad parenting there

People like that annoy me. Thankfully I don't have to deal with that crap anymore

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This movie starts unbelievably strong with great visuals, audio design, acting and a surreal/occult vibe but never reaches the potential it's hinting at and the finale is okay at best. Some of the detective work is great but some is kinda goofy and the payoff isn't really great, I guess? The ending is both cool and stupid at the same time, somehow. Feels like it's missing something but I don't know why.

I think frequently cutting to segments of Longlegs doing random things was a huge mistake, it sucked the mystery out of the entire experience. Dude was just a weirdo, until he was literally Satan's minion. In a way I respect that the movie went all in with the "Satan is real" angle instead of keeping it vague.

Some insane visuals and camerawork either way, movie was beautiful to watch.

Just watched it and this captures my thoughts perfectly. Amazing build-up and tension in the first half but the payoff kinda falters.
The atmosphere was thick as fuck in the first half. I was totally into it and felt as if I was there. Their decision of keeping nights genuinely dark really really paid off. Watching on an OLED was a bliss with the darkness. This is a showpiece for how pixel level absolute darkness of OLEDs elevates visuals.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
No idea what everyone is talking about "how the movie was filmed". It's pretty standard for indie horror movies. Atmosphere was cool, Nic Cage acting was cool, the mom's acting was eerie as fuck, but yeah overall the main plot was ok at best.
Probably because some are used to James wan Hollywood level cinematography and color grading so when they see something that looks real and not oversaturated it's "creepy".

dorkimoe

Watched last night. I enjoyed it, it’s not the best ever but the lead actress was good and the atmosphere was great. I’d recommend watching but wouldn’t drop everything to see it

pachura

Does it live up to all the media hype? I see it's available to watch now
Supposedly, the audience and the reviewers unanimously praise it, but personally, I didn't like it that much. While the atmosphere and visuals are indeed dark and great (think Zodiac), in the end - Nicolas Cage comes off as cringe instead of evil, the director relies mainly on jumpscares, crescendos and walking around abandoned houses in the dark with a flashlight, and the demonic prop they chose is such a cliché...

StueyDuck

Supposedly, the audience and the reviewers unanimously praise it, but personally, I didn't like it that much. While the atmosphere and visuals are indeed dark and great (think Zodiac), in the end - Nicolas Cage comes off as cringe instead of evil, the director relies mainly on jumpscares, crescendos and walking around abandoned houses in the dark with a flashlight, and the demonic prop they chose is such a cliché...
That's why i ask, when a movie gets ridiculous praise i always find the final viewing to be not nearly that good.

so just a horror movie, I'm ok with that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I saw this a couple of weeks ago in the theater.

I enjoyed this movie for what it was, but it was definitely a 7/10 movie. However, the more I thought about it afterward the more I ended up liking it. It's the kind of movie that needs to be rewatched, I think, to fully get everything it has to offer. I'll definitely check it out again now that it's on streaming.

I realized that most / all of the paintings in the film's various sets were shown to the detective during her "psychic tests" at the beginning.

I'm a huge sucker for stuff like this in horror movies.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does it live up to all the media hype? I see it's available to watch now

Not at all, honestly. If you go in expecting something amazing you’re going to be disappointed. It’s a solid movie but it won’t rock your world.

Its biggest flaw could be that it is not scary, and not nearly intense enough to be considered a horror movie. Vibes are closer to Silence of the Lambs than any conventional horror movie.

StueyDuck

Not at all, honestly. If you go in expecting something amazing you’re going to be disappointed. It’s a solid movie but it won’t rock your world.

Its biggest flaw could be that it is not scary, and not nearly intense enough to be considered a horror movie. Vibes are closer to Silence of the Lambs than any conventional horror movie.
Honestly. A silence of the lambs is better to me than a flat out horror, so I like to hear that. Will check it out tonight most likely.

Sonik

It was so fucking boring, it started really well and devolved into the typical pretentious indie bullshit where the director spends more time showing us how good he is at directing and less on characters or the plot.

We get it, this wide shot looks impressive, can we focus more on the actual movie now?

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I couldn’t see anything else than Nic Cage doing Nic Cage goofiness.

They should’ve casted someone else.
Just finished watching.

I was in a mood for a solid creepy thriller but Cage totally distracted me as well.
I found myself laughing where I probably shouldn't.
All I saw was Nic Cage acting nutty with makeup on 😄

Yes casting an unknown would have been much better.

I also would have gone the "Se7en" route of removing Cage's name from the opening credits (And trailers) like they did with Kevin Spacey.

Add a little surprise ya know?

Doom85

I also would have gone the "Se7en" route of removing Cage's name from the opening credits (And trailers) like they did with Kevin Spacey.

Add a little surprise ya know?

Given their budget was a little under 10 million and they just surpassed 100 million in the box office, I’d say at least from a business standpoint they made the right call. The strong marketing plus Cage’s involvement definitely helped put butts in seats.

Sure, maybe the reveal that Cage was in the film would quickly catch on and the following weekends would make up for a weaker opening weekend, but given that Twisters was out on Longleg’s second weekend, and then Deadpool and Wolverine out on their third weekend, it makes more sense to me for them to play their hand right away.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Given their budget was a little under 10 million and they just surpassed 100 million in the box office, I’d say at least from a business standpoint they made the right call. The strong marketing plus Cage’s involvement definitely helped put butts in seats.

Sure, maybe the reveal that Cage was in the film would quickly catch on and the following weekends would make up for a weaker opening weekend, but given that Twisters was out on Longleg’s second weekend, and then Deadpool and Wolverine out on their third weekend, it makes more sense to me for them to play their hand right away.
I don't think Cage made a difference. Do you watch many horror movies? It's seems like that's all he has been in for years.

Doom85

I don't think Cage made a difference. Do you watch many horror movies? It's seems like that's all he has been in for years.

Yes, I’ve seen a ton of horror films. Has Cage been in a bunch recently though, or at least ones that were marketed well? Like, in terms of recent movies that got heavily marketed that Cage was in, only Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and Renfield come to mind, and neither of those were horror.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yes, I’ve seen a ton of horror films. Has Cage been in a bunch recently though, or at least ones that were marketed well? Like, in terms of recent movies that got heavily marketed that Cage was in, only Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and Renfield come to mind, and neither of those were horror.
Arcadian, Mandy, Color of Space, Renfield was horror-ish comedy. It was the marketing that made Longlegs successful imo not Cage.

Last edited:

Doom85

Arcadian, Mandy, Color of Space, Renfield was horror-ish comedy. It was the marketing that made Longlegs successful imo not Cage.

Arcadian is action horror.
Mandy is action horror and came out in 2018.
Color Out of Space came out in 2019.
Renfield is comedy “horror”. I’m being really generous even calling it ”horror”, the film was pure comedy and was marketed as such, it just happens to have Dracula and Renfield in it.

None of these are pure horror, save Color out of Space (but I was looking for films from this decade) which is how Longlegs was marketed. Also, Cage is the actual threat in this film. They flat out had a preview of Maika walking up to Cage (with him censored to hide his appearance) and were playing the audio of Maika’s heartbeat upon seeing Cage for the first time on set. They definitely were marketing this as both scary and that Cage himself would be scary. That’s different than any of your examples.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Arcadian is action horror.
Mandy is action horror and came out in 2018.
Color Out of Space came out in 2019.
Renfield is comedy “horror”. I’m being really generous even calling it ”horror”, the film was pure comedy and was marketed as such, it just happens to have Dracula and Renfield in it.

None of these are pure horror, save Color out of Space (but I was looking for films from this decade) which is how Longlegs was marketed. Also, Cage is the actual threat in this film. They flat out had a preview of Maika walking up to Cage (with him censored to hide his appearance) and were playing the audio of Maika’s heartbeat upon seeing Cage for the first time on set. They definitely were marketing this as both scary and that Cage himself would be scary. That’s different than any of your examples.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't think Cage was the draw. Longlegs wasn't really horror either if we're splitting hairs more like a psychological thriller with an occult aspect

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just rewatched

It was a lot better on the rewatch, even though I knew the plot and what happens, and even though this was on streaming at home vs the theater. This is the kind of movie that really needs a re-watch.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member

I love The Silence of the Lambs and lost count of how many times I've watched it. Long Legs on the otherhand almost sent me to sleep.

Peggies

Gold Member
Just rewatched

It was a lot better on the rewatch, even though I knew the plot and what happens, and even though this was on streaming at home vs the theater. This is the kind of movie that really needs a re-watch.
That's the first thing I said after watching it. I can't tell for sure If it was way overhyped or if it was really good. The story seemed a bit overloaded and Nic Cage was too much Castor Troy to be truely scary.

But yeah, I'll soon rewatch it. Pretty Sure the story has something to offer.

First time I watched Hereditary I was super frustrated because I couldn't understand what everyone was on about. After the second watch though, I loved it!

Top Bottom