• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longlegs | First (terrifying) trailer for the horror film starring Nicolas Cage & Maika Monroe

StueyDuck

Nah. It's well made I guess, but it's more goofy than scary, the story is shit, and the end is dumb af.

People comparing this to silence of the lambs lol....
Yeah they fumbled the premise.

I liked the demonic, cultist angle but they just didn't do it justice.

Felt like it needed 30 minutes more and to properly flesh out an ending. Suffers the classic newcomer issue of not knowing how to end a movie.

Sonik

Nah. It's well made I guess, but it's more goofy than scary, the story is shit, and the end is dumb af.

People comparing this to silence of the lambs lol....

It didn't know what it wanted to be, Mandy for comparison was a balls out insane revenge horror film and it was awesome because it was consistent and had great pacing, on the other hand we had this clusterfuck where Cage plays his usual goofy character screaming MOMEEE and the next scene is slow as fuck pretending to be a serious horror movie, a serious horror movie where nothing happens in half of the film. And it's not like Cage can't play a serious character, in Pig for example he was excellent.

Last edited:
mncncwl.jpeg
rvIUZas.jpeg

tQoReDU.jpeg

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I don't know about the whole pre-release "hype" thing, just some initial thoughts here on Gaf so I pretty much went in blind and :

Absolutely loved it, excellent, excellent cinematography which led to some intense and oppressive atmosphere, good acting and as for the plot...I see people being disappointed with it for not being "horror" or "scary" enough which wasn't the case for me since I treated it more like a police thriller with some horror elements thrown in.
It was more like a 7even x The zodiac detective film than - say - something like It follows or what have you...
In fact, if it wasn't for the final act where...
"SaTaN and sheeit®"
, it would have been exactly that, just a police/detective/serial killer type of film.

Now, regarding N.Cage : I liked him even though he was..."more of the same" doing his usual fuckery, I'll have to agree with others though, it would have been better if they had cast an unknown actor since, IMO, it would have been more impactful that way.

I saw people mentioning Arcadian (also starring Cage) and while I liked it, it wasn't as good as this.

All in all, a good, solid 7.5 out of 10 horror atmospheric, slow burn movie where you have to be in the right mood to enjoy it as it can get a bit slow or even abstract in some spots.

Really, really enjoyed it, will watch it again on my OLED wearing headphones as to properly enjoy it.

Edit : some observations
Maybe it's just me, maybe it was the cinematography and framing but, it felt like the director tried to convey that the film's characters are already in...Hell/purgatory (?) - the whole Satanic themes (didn't notice Baphomet myself like others in here) and the sets which felt empty, devoid of any other characters/life (notice how sterile/empty/rundown the police station looked/felt), how there's only 1 scene where characters are not in the police station or houses where the killings took place (Bar), the general eerieness/emptiness of the characters, the fact that there's - basically - only 6-7 characters on-screen during the whole movie, the dark, (almost) unresolved ending and, don't know, it gave me the impression that the director wanted to convey the futility of it all since Satan is a real entity/thing and there's no real resolve or good things happening in the end...

Last edited:

calistan

I thought this was great, but I was entering it from an expectation of X-Files meets Silence of the Lambs via Nic Cage craziness sort of thing. Which is exactly what I thought I got.

But is there some deeper meaning to it? I'd be amazed, but it wouldn't be the first film I'd needed Google to explain to me (for example Killing of a Sacred Deer, Beau Is Afraid). Or is this just fan theories?

Last edited:
Top Bottom