• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Valve is introducing a new review system to filter out "unhelpful" reviews

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Logo_Steam.jpg

Valve looks to be introducing a new filter system to help players sift out user reviews not deemed "helpful."

As spotted by a member of the Steam subreddit, Valve appears to have briefly activated a "helpfulness system" that essentially hid joke or silly reviews from view.

The system has already been deactivated again, so it looks as though the feature is still under review, but a user was able to snap a screenshot whilst the trial (or premature launch) was live.

Interestingly, the "learn more" link apparently took players to a non-existent blog post, adding credence to speculation that this feature is still in development.

It'll be interesting to know who will be the arbiter of "helpful", though, as this is currently one of Elden's highest-rated reviews with over 400 helpful votes: "Nothing in this game was as brutal as the moment when my son saw me fighting [a boss] and started cheering for [the boss]. 10/10."

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They should introduce AI context summaries like amazon reviews so that you can filter out based on subject.
"Users generally find the game engaging and compelling praising it's in depth story and character progression. Most praise the graphical quality and find it better than average. However some users found issues with the performance while other users questioned why the fuck you need a PSN account you cunts"

Pejo

I was a bit nervous at reading the thread title, but this still keeps the reviews in the hands of the consumers, so it's a net good. Those joke/meme reviews are worthless anyways.

*edit*

Wonder if publishers are going to hire people to go into Steam and label negative reviews as "unhelpful". Wonder if there's a way to combat something like that...

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The filters are why I think Steam has the best review system in gaming. If I only want to read reviews of folks how have 10 hours or more in a game, so be it. Option to remove jokes reviews is also welcome.

Rockondevil

I welcome the change to get rid of the joke reviews. Sure, I've chuckled at times, but I'd rather just not see them most of the time.

I am only for this for specifically meme/joke reviews that are purposefully nonsensical and clog shit up. BUT if its intention is to curtail negative/protest reviews the dev/pub deems as unfair or unhelpful, that's a fucked up road that leads no wheres good and would begin to firebomb not an insignificant amount of goodwill steam has with its userbase if they are seen making any attempts to play defense for devs/pubs against customer criticism. While there has been some bullshit, 9 times out of 10 customer criticism has done more to keep devs/pubs honest atleast when working in the pc ecosystem. Or if they don't fix whatever issue, other potential buyers atleast have the opportunity to see any issues with the game before making a purchasing decision.

I don't trust much in big businesses but I believe Valve in its current form and leadership won't go down that road. Hope they don't make me look like a fool cause I have no issue turning on businesses I frequent when they begin to fuck up en mass.

Last edited:
I love steam reviews but it could always be better. I hate reviews that give negative stores over keyboard\mouse support in like a game that is like God of War 2018 (just an example).

MiguelItUp

Good, as long as they're attempting to improve it. The joke reviews were funny for a bit, but then they got out of hand. For some games you have to sift through joke reviews to find anything of value.

Laptop1991

Steam has a good review system, but there is a lot of trolling and arguments on their in recent times, people going on for rows about the quality of newer games, some for some against, i wait until after a game is out and watch Youtube playthrough's now before deciding to buy, i find it the best way to make an informed choice and not waste my money.

I saw on YT that Sony is testing the waters with written reviews for PSN.

I welcome anything that can be done to allow potential buyers to see/filter detailed reviews. Not that they'll all be trustworthy, but if it shows how much time you put in, # of trophies earned, etc. It'd be such a boon for PSVR2 titles and other random indie games. Don't really care about massive games that sell millions.

Last edited:
They're trying to get filters to do what their moderators can't or won't. Troll reviews seem to be increasing, and they're getting worse, too. Saw a review for a semi-well-known indie game where the reviewer accused the creator of being a known pedophile, only to admit that he had made it up for the lulz when people asked for proof. Both the review and his admission are still up months later, despite having been reported dozens of times.

Steam has a good review system, but there is a lot of trolling and arguments on their in recent times, people going on for rows about the quality of newer games, some for some against, i wait until after a game is out and watch Youtube playthrough's now before deciding to buy, i find it the best way to make an informed choice and not waste my money.
I go off gameplay footage too if I'm unsure. Even if something is clearly questionable or janky. I trust my instincts and am rarely disappointed.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

This tank & Bob are against removing reviews.​

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ ☻/ This tank & Bob are against removing reviews
Il███████████████████]. /▌ Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤.. / \ This website if you are with us.

Top Bottom