• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

Zafir

Anyone know whether the GMG keys are time locked for the UK? Their site says 1/11/11 release date, but the UK release date is officially the 25th(Still no idea why it got delayed by so much), so I fear that I'll be locked behind a steam lock until then.

ram

the control interface (menues etc) are really fucked up - gow why didnt they make a game based on the champions engine? also tried the game in single player and holy shit, the ai is stupid as hell - and since the game isnt easy, i stopped playing after my comrades only did stupid things...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Befindlichkeit said:
It pisses me off that I won't have this game for another 2 weeks! goddamn shitty Europe.
What sucks even more is retailers have jacked the price of the LCE up.

It was £50-55 two weeks ago now everywhere wants £65-70. :(

I want the statue!

MEATER

So, the retail box has the Games for Windows Live logo on it... Can someone tell me if the Steam version also comes with GfWL?

A friend and I are considering buying this to play coop if it has Achievements/Gamerscore and I would prefer to get it on Steam...

Is the multiplayer on PC also via live?

AwRy108

Was really digging this game, then a quest bug in one of the final chapters has completely halted my campaign process.

I know Snowblind is supposed to be pushing out a patch, so I'm not touching this again until that happens. Might end up selling it to Amazon Trade-in's before that ever happens...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
AwRy108 said:
Was really digging this game, then a quest bug in one of the final chapters has completely halted my campaign process.

I know Snowblind is supposed to be pushing out a patch, so I'm not touching this again until that happens. Might end up selling it to Amazon Trade-in's before that ever happens...
Hey, if you want to trade it for Dark Souls give me a holler

Wait so I'm confused. The few reviews I read said that in order to level up your ai companions you have to change to them and use your skill points, but the someone else says that the ai you play with is totally different and pick their own skills versus when you play as the other character. So which is correct?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Wait so I'm confused. The few reviews I read said that in order to level up your ai companions you have to change to them and use your skill points, but the someone else says that the ai you play with is totally different and pick their own skills versus when you play as the other character. So which is correct?

As per normal, the reviewers are full of shit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finally got to put in some serious co-op time with friends today (internet). The game just continues to pick up steam each hour into it and is criminally underrated.

So far enjoying the combat but it's quite hard to play solo. I am not really fond of the inventory menu.

Story is good but because of that the game play is extremely linear. Quest structure make it seems like you are on an urgent mission yet it let you stroll about and go back to town. Allowing you to go back to town to repair at checkpoint really take me out of the story (and feel kinda cheap). Oh let not get start on that pillar of light that let you buy and sell loot ... I guess it beat having random merchant set up shop in middle of the battlefield still it again take away from the story. I understand that it need to be done due to game mechanic but I wish the story / check point are better structures. Also my equipment constantly breaking (probably due to dying a lot) which doesn't help matter. Loot also far and few you should be able to get a lot of junk loot that let you keep slogging on even when your items are broken which would eliminate the need to return to town mid-mission.

Overall I enjoy it but game just seem rough. Need to play co-op I suppose to get better experience but my daughter just don't care for LoTR universe and my son is knee-deep in Skyrim.

Ken

antiquegamer said:
Oh let not get start on that pillar of light that let you buy and sell loot ... I guess it beat having random merchant set up shop in middle of the battlefield still it again take away from the story.

I wish the Pillar of Light had a Repair option replace Return to Town to spare me from sitting through two loading screens to just repair my sword.

I am highly enjoying the game, I just wish there was more to the game with the sidequests. Not nearly enough, but the game is pretty fun, though I think I'm on the last chapter (chapter 8) and it doesn't nearly feel like it should be ending yet :( I'll probably play it again later down the road.

lunchtoast

Just beat it on Heroic with a full team online. Didn't get the eagle savior trophy and I didn't see anyone summon him. Guess I'll just solo the last boss next time around, and make an extra save just in case.

The most important thing for this game at this point are bug fixes. I'd love some mission DLC or AI improvements, but there are several progress halting bugs in a few points in the campaign right now that need to be addressed badly. Nothing will hurt this game's longevity more than the people who enjoyed it enough to buy it trading their copies in.

lunchtoast

^^^

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I see there is an achievement for creating potions. How do you do that?

What he said. You just collect mushrooms and stuff and combine in the inventory screen. You can probably get it in one level, easy stuff.

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Whatever reviews you have read are completely full of shit. It's possible that Snowblind changed how it all works from review code to retail code...but my money is on the reviewers being d-bags and just bullshitting.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
How do challenges work exactly? When are you supposed to do them? On Chapter 7 or something and friend and I went to do one but waves just kept coming and it wasn't totally clear what level we were supposed to be at so we bailed out though I guess nothing saves if you do that.

lunchtoast

AstroLad said:
How do challenges work exactly? When are you supposed to do them? On Chapter 7 or something and friend and I went to do one but waves just kept coming and it wasn't totally clear what level we were supposed to be at so we bailed out though I guess nothing saves if you do that.

I think someone mentioned the last wave is 18, and you don't get anything, just extra xp.

I also now have the critical bug where I can't do criticals anymore. I read on the official forum and I guess it'll be fixed in the upcoming patch?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks, couple more simple questions:

What is the color coding in terms of rarity, common to rare:
Gray
Green
Purple
Blue
?

Also what does broken shield mean when you go visit an old level? Seems like you can only see this in multi-part locations.

Would love to find some OnLive friends to play this with. I'm on Heroic difficulty at the battle of Norindbad. Hard to defend the gate solo. OnLive name is Darth_Infamous

witness

params7 said:
Any BF deals on this game?

Absolutely nothing so far which is really surprising. I've looked at all the major ones for games and its not in any ad, which is really surprising. Amazon might come through, also it wouldn't surprise me if it went on sale in the weeks leading up the christmas since there's no BF sale.

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
Last Hearth said:
Purple is the highest. Grey, Green, Blue, Purple.

And I think broken shield means some of your equipment needs repair?

Correct - Broken shield means it's time to repair.

SnowblindTina

slasher_thrasher21 said:

The easiest way to think about it is that an AI character is just like a human person. They have their own AI, their own skill tree, and their own inventory.

When you "switch" over to another character, it is still *YOUR* version of that character. You bring over your inventory, your skill level (along with all points ready for you to attribute), and your... Human Intelligence. :)

We've been trying to correct incorrect reviews, so if you want to post any location you've seen it, we'd be happy to put them on the straight and narrow. We understand that right now is a PACKED review schedule for anyone out there in review-land, and they're doing the best they can with the limited time they have for each title.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SnowblindTina said:
Correct - Broken shield means it's time to repair.
No this is actually from the map screen. Go to say Mirkwood on the map and it has four locations indicated. I have two that have a regular shield and swords, and two with a broken shield.

SnowblindTina said:
The easiest way to think about it is that an AI character is just like a human person.
I just think of the three characters as having two distinct versions each. The AI version has AI equipment and AI spent skill points. The player controlled version has player equipped items and player chosen skill points. You can switch between versions with no overlap between the two.

Do I have it right?

AstroLad said:
Finally got to put in some serious co-op time with friends today (internet). The game just continues to pick up steam each hour into it and is criminally underrated.
So true. This and Space Marine were two very nice surprises this year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
NullPointer said:
I just think of the three characters as having two distinct versions each. The AI version has AI equipment and AI spent skill points. The player controlled version has player equipped items and player chosen skill points. You can switch between versions with no overlap between the two.

Do I have it right?
Yeah I swear I've read five different explanations and still don't totally get it. Probably would help to actually try to switch. Currently L25 Farin and haven't switched once. :p

Frostburn

cametall said:
Loving the game, but every time I try to play split screen couch co-op the game freezes...

This is on the PS3.
I'm getting the same thing on Xbox 360 (Slim 250GB), tried from DVD and from HDD (installed). Trying to play with my girlfriend and it froze up on us in three different places in the first chapter.

Hints and other information would stay on the screen long after they should have faded away. Some messages stayed on screen the entire time we played (till the game crashed anyway), possibly related to causing the crashes?

Also ran across the save bug (probably from the game hard-locking the Xbox) so her character's progress never saved.

Hope they fix these in the next patch, shame because the game seems quite fun to play in co-op. The story and gameplay so far are great. Keep us updated SBTina!

AstroLad said:
Yeah I swear I've read five different explanations and still don't totally get it. Probably would help to actually try to switch. Currently L25 Farin and haven't switched once. :p

I am on my 2nd run on Heroic and I switch to the Champion and it make complete sense. Essentially when you have AI control, they don't used "your" character but rather they used "stock" character. (I noticed they upgrade equipment, spells etc as I level up). I am not sure how they determined what equipment you get to have, I switch at the end of the first run and he come with some equipment though by that point I have plenty of gold to spend on him.

I think he is the easiest character to play solo due to his explosion bolt ability ... so far I have easier time on Heroic. Also seems to get more loots now (or it could be I know where to look for loots, unlike my first run).

It's the combat and loot that keep me coming back .. I wish the mission were structure better and have "random" quests to do instead of the horde mode. Oh as for the horde mode you can exit whenever you want there's a light pillar gate that let you exit the area.

AstroLad said:
Thanks, couple more simple questions:

What is the color coding in terms of rarity, common to rare:
Gray
Green
Purple
Blue
?

Also what does broken shield mean when you go visit an old level? Seems like you can only see this in multi-part locations.
I'm curious about that broken shield thing as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure my save game is bugged, which sucks ass. I
Just beat the spider boss to save Radaghast and I talked to the elf and got to pick an item for saving him. Unfortunately, no new level showed up and my objective is still "look for Radaghast" even though I've replayed the battle three times. According to a walkthrough, Urghost Lair is supposed to show up and it hasn't. Goddamnit. I've been having a lot of fun.

lunchtoast

I wish the game had storage for equipment so if I wanted to play multiple characters I could just stash good equipment as well as armour sets. I also wish instead of just a green or red arrow to show if gear is better, it also displayed your armor next to it so you don't have to backtrack from store to your inventory to see which attributes your gear has.

I also wish the side quests meant something, and you got better rewards for completing quests. I always have better gear than what they reward you with, and only a handful of quests give you items.

Hopefully the patch comes out soon. I might not play until it comes out. Not being able to do critical strikes sucks, especially on Heroic.

SnowblindTina

reggieandTFE said:
I'm curious about that broken shield thing as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure my save game is bugged, which sucks ass. I
Just beat the spider boss to save Radaghast and I talked to the elf and got to pick an item for saving him. Unfortunately, no new level showed up and my objective is still "look for Radaghast" even though I've replayed the battle three times. According to a walkthrough, Urghost Lair is supposed to show up and it hasn't. Goddamnit. I've been having a lot of fun.
PM me and we'll troubleshoot. I'm hoping it is something simple, but I'd have to ask you a few questions to see where you're at (and which system you're on).

SnowblindTina

Machinima recently posted this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4jsi_2ts5s

Of two of their staffers playing War in the North.

It reminds me of how one of the things I'm proudest of, is our pick up and play capability. The fact that the girl in this video says repeatedly how fun it is makes me so happy as a CM, so I just wanted to share.

Fellas, if you're looking for a Date Night game, with your casual gamer girlfriend... I can say there's something special about getting loot together. :)

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
It's true. I learned with Champions of Norrath that there's something about smashing barrels that the ladies find irresistable.

This was an interesting read for me on the game mechanic and why the game have less than stellar critical review.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RonD...orth_For_Want_of_a_Button_an_Age_was_Lost.php

I think may be he is right. I was blocking a lot at first (natural thing to do) but when it fail I start dodging roll partly because I have been playing a lot of Dungeon Siege III which also have very similar mechanic.

So is this the problem with the game? the player (that have become so used to easier game, instead of having to figure out how to beat certain boss)? I blame the lack of good manual in the modern game. We are now left with 2 pages pamphlet (sometimes not even that) to fall back on when the in game tutorial fail to make certain thing clear. Also game have to grab you in first 15-20 mins so sometime a long tutorial could also doom the game (Fusion Genesis comes to mind or Final Fantasy XIII)

Despite some of the fault I can't stop playing this game and on my 3rd run through solo. At this point I just wish I can just pick a missions and go and skip all the talking.

Aaron

Dodge roll was explained in the tutorial. If you haven't seen unblockable attacks before you probably shouldn't be reviewing action games, because I have a hard time thinking of one that doesn't have them. I knew the power attacks from the big guys couldn't be blocked on instinct. Anyone else should have figured out after a couple of times.

No, the reason the game did badly in some reviews is it's a long game released during a time with so many 'must play' titles. The reviewers tried to rush through it just to get it done, and ended up bitching about problems that don't really exist. While they give the new terrible Need for Speed game scores it doesn't deserve because it's over and done in two hours.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I think there are a few reasons:
-Came out around Skyrim in a time when RPG=Skyrim and anything else is probably just babygames.
-Reviewers (imo) generally tend to undervalue co-op experiences. Or maybe I overvalue them. Either way, I feel like good co-op games often get short shrift.
-First chapter is the weakest one by far imo in almost every way.
-LOTR Movie License = Easy "must suck" status.

Just glad that I know Snowblind from back in the day and managed to convince several friends to hop in because it really is a fun light game.

Aaron

Also a combination of the normal difficulty not being a breeze like it is in most modern games, like Gears 3, and the AI not always being the best. You know these reviewers played through the whole game alone, which is not the way it's obviously meant to be played.

Frostburn

Not to mention the game-stopping bugs causing at least the Xbox to hard lock when doing couch co-op. This is bad news in a season this busy with AAA games. I want to play it but pretty much can't until a patch.

SnowblindTina

Frostburn said:
Not to mention the game-stopping bugs causing at least the Xbox to hard lock when doing couch co-op. This is bad news in a season this busy with AAA games. I want to play it but pretty much can't until a patch.

If you wouldn't mind posting the issue on our forums here: www.warinthenorth.com/forums, in the Bug Reporting sub-forum?

I'd love to hear about the issue. (Plus, we literally have two testers, two programmers, a producer and a QA Manager in that forum daily, so even if I can't field information gathering, they'll at least see your thread?)

So far, we know of 5 reported primary bugs (they happen at various parts of the game, but they're still the same core issues), but an Xbox Hard Lock is not one of them.

I want to make sure that we're evaluating this issue as it hasn't been reported to us, and we're finalizing getting our patch out the door.

We'd really appreciate the input if you have the time? Or, you can PM me here?

Top Bottom