• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

Lesiroth

I'm surprised there's an official release date for the Middle East, it's usually one of those regions that don't really matter to publishers.

Anyway, the 'Not just another LotR game' seems to ring true here, thinking hard about getting this when it releases here.

Ken

FredFish said:
"Buy any version of The Lord of the Rings: War in the North and get a Snow Troll Figurine for FREE"

I pre-ordered on Amazon because of the $20 coupon (and since Amazon let's you link your Discover Cash Rewards now I kinda-sorta got the game for "free") but I semi-wish I had waited now.
Can't you still cancel from Amazon? Doesn't seem like they'll start shipping for another few days.

FredFish

Ken said:
Can't you still cancel from Amazon? Doesn't seem like they'll start shipping for another few days.

Sure but: a) the coupon is 5 bucks less in savings and b) I'd have to pay sales tax at Best Buy and hope they still have a figure by the time I'm able to get there. The Elf stuff is nice but not so nice that I'd give up around 10 bucks for it since the troll figure isn't guaranteed

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really torn on this game was not a fan of the movies/mmo but this looks pretty good. IF it's full of movie references/fan service ehhh

FredFish

LuchaShaq said:
Really torn on this game was not a fan of the movies/mmo but this looks pretty good. IF it's full of movie references/fan service ehhh

I like Tolkien's world but the setting is largely irrelevant to why I'm getting this game. It's the developer's pedigree that caused me to pull the trigger on this. Heavy should change the thread title to "Snowblind Studios presents War in the North OT Ignore the 'License'...it's Snowblind's newest game!" :p

Gassey

Banned
FredFish said:
I like Tolkien's world but the setting is largely irrelevant to why I'm getting this game. It's the developer's pedigree that caused me to pull the trigger on this. Heavy should change the thread title to "Snowblind Studios presents War in the North OT Ignore the 'License'...it's Snowblind's newest game!" :p

Totally. Snowblind is the only reason I'm in this thread.

iratA

@SnowblindTina

Has the Australian version of the game been changed/altered in anyway? I had hands on the game very recently at a games Expo in Australia and didn't notice any limbs fly off the orcs etc. Maybe the game was toned down for the final build? I just clearly remember seeing pretty brutal combat in the preview videos online.

Amazon only does release date delivery for big releases, so probably not.

It doesn't matter to me, I'm still not done with Batman AC, so it will get here when it gets here.

Ken said:
Any chance of Release Date Delivery from Amazon?

This annoyed me that they weren't offering it. I went with free shipping, so it might take a few days before it shows up. Considering I have Gears, Batman and BF3 that I'm playing I'll deal. But I thought Amazon offered this on everything, so it was a bummer to see they don't.

Drek

Looking forward to it, day one. With the deal K-Mart ran on Batman for this how could I pass it up? $30 Batman coupon + $10 LotR coupon, so getting War in the North for $20 with another $20 coupon. Its like a free game.

Ken

AngmarsKing701 said:
This annoyed me that they weren't offering it. I went with free shipping, so it might take a few days before it shows up. Considering I have Gears, Batman and BF3 that I'm playing I'll deal. But I thought Amazon offered this on everything, so it was a bummer to see they don't.
Apparently they only offer it if they already have the game in or know when their shipment arrives and can guarantee RDD. I've had RDD on smaller games too like Vanquish and Brink (eugh), so it's not about how big the game is.

LotR is awesome
The movies were the best trilogy of anything ever
I rather have it use the LotR license than some generic fantasy world they'd create

Ark

I was tempted to buy this game on release (4th November?) But then I remember it doesn't come out until the 25th November here in the UK. So I'm afraid Skyrim takes priority here.

If the frickin' amazing CE is still available for purchase come Christmas, then I'll buy it then, otherwise I'll just hope that it'll be in the Steam Christmas Sales :)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Will be playing on PS3.PSN ID is Guiletreehorn, please add me to your friends list if you want to play co-op.

Can anyone confirm whether the Steam release dates are accurate? I'm in the UK and it says the game will be available on the 1st November, in which case I'll happily pre-order now.

I asked this in the Q&A thread but this one seems more active now:

In the PS3 version can each player be logged into their PSN account when playing couch co-op? So that they each have their own character, and also each earn trophies? 360 games normally are like this, no problem, but I've seen many PS3 co-op games where this isn't the case. This will make or break if I get it on PS3 or PC.

Woorloog

Banned
Split screen co-op on consoles? Now i'm interested. Will wait for impressions and reviews though. And will wait till next year probably, too many games this year.

ascii42

AdawgDaFAB said:
I asked this in the Q&A thread but this one seems more active now:

In the PS3 version can each player be logged into their PSN account when playing couch co-op? So that they each have their own character, and also each earn trophies? 360 games normally are like this, no problem, but I've seen many PS3 co-op games where this isn't the case. This will make or break if I get it on PS3 or PC.
Are there actually any games on the PS3 that allow both people to earn trophies?

FredFish

ascii42 said:
Are there actually any games on the PS3 that allow both people to earn trophies?

Sacred 2 forced you to sign in on seperate accounts to play local co-op and I know that I got at least one trophy while doing so. No idea how War in the North works; will just have to wait for Tina to chime in Monday hopefully

cametall

Any idea what the game play is like? I mean is it like Dragon Age or more akin to Champions of Norrath?

Is it open world or more like Champions of Norrath/Titan Quest where it's linear?

I've been interested in the game since it was announced by I haven't been keeping tabs on it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Baloonatic said:
Can anyone confirm whether the Steam release dates are accurate? I'm in the UK and it says the game will be available on the 1st November, in which case I'll happily pre-order now.
in the same boat, ive heard 4 release dates now and i wanted a game to keep me going until skyrim came out, id happily buy it now if the release date was confirmed as steams one.

They had me at Snowblind, pretty much when they first mentioned this game a year or so ago. Everything else is extra! Glad to hear I'm not alone.

Game is out tomorrow for NA! My GMG order says the key will be available tomorrow so no pre-loading but not a big deal, prob only take like an hour to download. I'm really excited...dat loot awaits!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maastricht said:
They had me at Snowblind, pretty much when they first mentioned this game a year or so ago. Everything else is extra! Glad to hear I'm not alone.
Would be my sentiment if it weren't for that crappy Justice League game

Who are you guys gonna roll first?

1. Elf: "loremaster" (can use spells), main weapon is a long staff either 1H or 2H that can fire at range, also can use a short Elven sword I believe

2. Dwarf: melee guy that uses big 2H weaps like hammers, maces, axes and such. Can also use a crossbow

3. Human: ranger, main weap is a bow, I think he can use some close combat weaps as well

I haven't looked over the skill trees at all so I dunno which sounds the most interesting. I kinda like the fact that the dwarf has the strongest melee weaps and also range with the xbow.

Ainaurdur

Heavy said:
Who are you guys gonna roll first?

1. Elf: "loremaster" (can use spells), main weapon is a long staff either 1H or 2H that can fire at range, also can use a short Elven sword I believe

2. Dwarf: melee guy that uses big 2H weaps like hammers, maces, axes and such. Can also use a crossbow

3. Human: ranger, main weap is a bow, I think he can use some close combat weaps as well

I haven't looked over the skill trees at all so I dunno which sounds the most interesting. I kinda like the fact that the dwarf has the strongest melee weaps and also range with the xbow.
I am currently leaning towards the Dwarf, for his play style and heritage. The Elf would be second on my list. I am interested in seeing more of the Dunedain, I just don't always enjoy playing human characters when I have other options.
Of course this could end up being like RotK where I spent equal amounts of time playing Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, trying to build their strength and get all the skills. But since WitN seems to be a more complete RPG, I will probably just focus on one character to start with.

ced

I ended up pre-ordering for the good Amazon deal and cause it's Snowblind.

I am disappointed that it's not another isometric action RPG, and the license, but I'm sure those are unjustified complaints.

Please tell me there are no QTEs and I'll pick this game up tomorrow ;P I need a refuge from modern blockbuster games.

Also, how is the friendly AI? I'll probably put the majority of my time in solo.

AwRy108

Anyone know when the review embargo is up? I'm supremely interested in this title (long-time fan of Snowblind's work), but I'm not one to make impulse purchases.

AwRy108 said:
Anyone know when the review embargo is up? I'm supremely interested in this title (long-time fan of Snowblind's work), but I'm not one to make impulse purchases.
Tomorrow
Not sure what time exactly

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
larvi said:
Wait, what? I submitted my entry but I didn't recall a requirement when I did it that the photo must be a .png. Am I SOL?

No - It's just that depending on quality some of them failed out (gave an error message) if the quality of the .jpg was too high.

If you got through without an error message, then you should be good to go. I just suggested .png so that no one had last minute issues with only 30 minutes left to redeem.

larvi

SnowblindTina said:
No - It's just that depending on quality some of them failed out (gave an error message) if the quality of the .jpg was too high.

If you got through without an error message, then you should be good to go. I just suggested .png so that no one had last minute issues with only 30 minutes left to redeem.

Phew..thanks. I didn't get any errors on the submission but I also haven't gotten any positive confirmation via email that my entry was received. I hoping no news means the entry was acceptable.

Heavy said:
Game is out tomorrow for NA! My GMG order says the key will be available tomorrow so no pre-loading but not a big deal, prob only take like an hour to download. I'm really excited...dat loot awaits!
This is coming out for PC? Yessss

Ken said:
Amazon shipped my order for Nov 1 delivery. Awesome.

How? You must not have selected super saver shipping. Lol. I went with it since I couldn't select release date delivery. Grr!

AcidAvatar if anyone wants to add me on PSN!

Top Bottom