• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I had a crash this morning on the PS4, said the application has had an error and closed it. I'm really lucky I had just decided to bank my exp and save, I would have lost a good hour plus of exploring the area before the second boss.

That brings me to a point of the risk vs reward exp / loot system. So far it's just risk vs a game crash, not a risk vs the actual game. There is no way I'm not saving from now own as often as possible.

You don't actually lose your multiplier for saving, only if you bank the XP.

Ricker

Anybody here ran into this bug? I saw people on twitter talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v9s8uhqvsk

Hopefully my copy arrives today!

Not yet but after defeating the second Boss,I am getting all kinds of glitches now on the PS4...first there is no more voices and the health bars over ennemies are gone,even when I lock on them...also that raunchy lady near the second Boss seems to have a quest for me to find some daggers in the catacombs but I cant accept it it seems...

Also found out doing a complete run,even backtracking to the first area,that those red kind of portals you can enter have chests in them,everything resets though when you come out...so I take the one after the second Boss and with no health bars and all over the ennemies in there,which is pitch black I just had to get out....logged out and will try later,I hope all those glitches clear up...game is hard enough already for me without this stuff happening lol...

ced

You don't actually lose your multiplier for saving, only if you bank the XP.

Seriously? Everything I've read says you do, but I didn't actually test it.

I've had the no voice bug as well in that area, not sure if it cleared up yet.

I don't think you accept her quest, you just give her the dagger if you find it.

Ricker

I don't think you accept her quest, you just give her the dagger if you find it.

Ah ok,thanks...yeah I hope it clears up later today.

-PXG-

I love that there is no map, hand holding, bread crumbs, arrows, pointers, icons, glowing objects, helpers or waypoints at all. Just you and the world to explore. People complaining about the lack of direction have been spoiled by modern day games for too long. It's about time a game makes you explore and figure shit out yourself for a change.

Zafir

Yeah it doesn't. The tutorial is kind of vague about the checkpoint crystals.

I cannot seem to beat the
heavier shielded enemies
near the
cemetery

Tips? Do I just need to get good?

For anyone with this same problem cuz ive seen it posted a lot. Use your shield ability. Tower shield can be slammed when your right in front of them and they will fall back with their guard down. Also if you sprint with your shield raised it does a shoulder charge and breaks their guard. Get a couple quick hits in and repeat.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You can replenish your potions without killing your multiplier. They really don't explain that very well. I also skipped the tutorial on the checkpoint system and didn't see what determines the number of potions given. They should have put a help system in the menu.

Also those spiders are probably not meant to be taken in until a bit later as they are tough as hell, multiple and you are fighting in a very confined area.

I am not going to buy the game just yet as I am hoping that the stability of the game is improved for the PC.

I listened to the Gametrailers review and one thing that stood out as a big negative was that you can pretty much circle any opponent, bide your time and then attack.

Is this true or does some thought come into fighting the varying enemies?

AllenShrz

This game is a bugged mess.

Windows warns me frequently of low memory, yet I have 16GB and 3 for video with the 7970 and Im playing only with high textures and on task manager shows that it doesn't even scratch 3GB. Medium textures look like ass.

It crashes
Sometimes no sound (Sound Blaster Z card)
Jumps from 30 to 60 all the time (No setting to luck up the FPS)
It looks out of focus and with chromatic aberrations all the time

Fuck this piece of shit software, DON'T BUY THIS GAME ON PC.

Ricker

Just had my first greedy death trying to jump to a crystal on a small platform outside the castle walls lol...I logged out but is your experience on the ledge or is it on the ground somewhere...doesnt matter much for this one since I logged out but I had little exp anyway so I gave it a shot...maybe lost 400 exp.

ced

Just had my first greedy death trying to jump to a crystal on a small platform outside the castle walls lol...I logged out but is your experience on the ledge or is it on the ground somewhere...doesnt matter much for this one since I logged out but I had little exp anyway so I gave it a shot...maybe lost 400 exp.

It's on the last spot you touched before falling, I did the same thing there.

Zafir

You can replenish your potions without killing your multiplier. They really don't explain that very well. I also skipped the tutorial on the checkpoint system and didn't see what determines the number of potions given. They should have put a help system in the menu.

Also those spiders are probably not meant to be taken in until a bit later as they are tough as hell, multiple and you are fighting in a very confined area.

I don't think there was a tutorial on the checkpoint system. I missed it the first time through, died and lost progress and I double checked the second time through and nothing was mentioned.

Corpekata

Banned
I am not going to buy the game just yet as I am hoping that the stability of the game is improved for the PC.

I listened to the Gametrailers review and one thing that stood out as a big negative was that you can pretty much circle any opponent, bide your time and then attack.

Is this true or does some thought come into fighting the varying enemies?

Some enemies would be extremely tough to circle. Guys with tower shields appear early on and are pretty persistent in lot letting you circle them (I generally have to use magic to get behind them).

Plumpman

It is so awesome that the thin, pussy mobs are actually blind, even in combat. They will swing wildly towards sounds and you can just slowly pace around them and backstab. LOVE IT!

tjohn86

For anyone with this same problem cuz ive seen it posted a lot. Use your shield ability. Tower shield can be slammed when your right in front of them and they will fall back with their guard down. Also if you sprint with your shield raised it does a shoulder charge and breaks their guard. Get a couple quick hits in and repeat.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

I feel lucky to have 0 issues on PC. Crossing my fingers that continues.

Sothpaw

Does this game have any multiplayer element?

Thankfully not for me. I love all three Souls games but multiplayer in those games never boiled down to anything but me getting invaded when I had better things to do. I never cooped any of the bosses either; the summons were all I ever needed. It would be nice for the people who enjoy dueling though.

e90Mark

I played a little bit of this last night through share play on PS4. My coworker picked it up.

I played as a rogue and the brawler(?) magic type. Took down the first warden fairly quickly, but that may have been due to me watching my coworker suffer through learning the boss' attacks the first time lol.

Not sure if it was due to share play, but I did notice screen tearing and texture popping.

Definitely took elements from the Souls games, but I like what impression it left me for the half hour I played.

ced

Yeah it doesn't. The tutorial is kind of vague about the checkpoint crystals.

So you've tested it, cause here is what the game tells you about it:

fOkQ2sY.png

Tak3n

Banned
anyone know what lighting the fire sticks on the tower does, I set them alight and heard a horn

but can not notice any difference?

Camp Lo

Banned
This game is a bugged mess.

Windows warns me frequently of low memory, yet I have 16GB and 3 for video with the 7970 and Im playing only with high textures and on task manager shows that it doesn't even scratch 3GB. Medium textures look like ass.

It crashes
Sometimes no sound (Sound Blaster Z card)
Jumps from 30 to 60 all the time (No setting to luck up the FPS)
It looks out of focus and with chromatic aberrations all the time

Fuck this piece of shit software, DON'T BUY THIS GAME ON PC.

It's not that bad. I switched PhysX from GPU to CPU per a Youtube video and I've gotten more stable FPS, still far from perfect though.

Go to the shrines. They protect you from his projectiles, AOE, and those ground attacks.

OK thanks.

nbthedude

First patch released 1.1:

Patch1.1 Notes
We would like to announce that the 'Nvidia turbulence' and v-sync options are now available in the advanced in-game video settings with the latest update. Disabling these options will improve the game performance and avoid most of the stability issues.
In order to disable the Nvidia turbulence, please do the following:
1. Launch the game
2. Enter advanced settings in options menu
3. Select 'Nvidia turbulence'
4. Switch the option to 'disabled'
5. Apply changes
6. Restart the game

If you are having problems with the options not being saved after restarting the game, please try changing and applying the settings using a gamepad. We are aware of this issue and it is going to be patched ASAP.

nbthedude

What are people doing who aren't able to boot it to get it to work? I checked the Steam forums and couldn't really find any potential solutions at first glance.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
good to see that they patch the game.

I am able to get it digital for the xbox one for 30€..maybe i will buy it.

30 bucks is a decent price for the game. I honestly would have liked to have seen it be 49.99 and think it would have made a deeper impact.

Tak3n

Banned
Found some nice armour after the graveyard boss

don't follow the story quest, instead head to the door in the graveyard, use save point in there, work slowly in, turn right when you can draws the enemies out, down there is a door open it, as soon as you open the chest take the spoils quickly and leg it as a big fucking spider drops down behind you, run back to save point and fight it there, if you die it will disappear and you will still have very nice armour (heavy)

Anyone found a use for the Northern Monastery Wing Key yet? I searched everywhere prior to boss 2, I'm assuming it's for later.

Oh and fuck those spiders, they still are wrecking me and I haven't fully explored the Cellars because of them.

in the first area, where u start the game and fight your first rhogar. Look above that door and there's a white curtain. Go up the stairs, go left and run and jump onto the ledge, where that white curtain is and there's a secret area

Anybody know how to get the secret that the tutorial warns you about? The wall looks like you need to blast it

ced

in the first area, where u start the game and fight your first rhogar. Look above that door and there's a white curtain. Go up the stairs, go left and run and jump onto the ledge, where that white curtain is and there's a secret area

Anybody know how to get the secret that the tutorial warns you about? The wall looks like you need to blast it

I think it's the cellar entrance, it's in a room that has 2 doors on each side, off a staircase. I just hit it with my sword. Or are you referring to another spot?

So damn second boss. I see why I'm struggling with him. Every so often my attacks will not deal any damage. It's getting really damn annoying swinging at em 4-5 times and only having one hit register.

Edit - defeated!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Initial impressions are a bit meh. Playing on PS4 -- the textures and overall IQ just aren't quite as good as I was hoping, but more importantly the framerate is unstable and there's significant screen tearing.
It went from terrible to intermittent, but still way too prevalent, even in the small interior areas
That's really disappointing. I hate screen tearing so much. I really hope it's so intermittent that it won't distract me...

Was there ever an animation for swapping weapons in the Souls?
Yes. Isn't there one in this game? If you swap weapon it just pops out your current weapon and pop in the new one? That's weird.

Also, for the record, I think this game looks miles better than TLoU on PS4. That game looked cross-gen to me all over the place. This game just oozes built from the ground up for PS4. The lighting effects they use, the way the metal armor looks, and the textures kill TLoU.
Eh, I'd take cross-gen "artefacts" at 60 fps over new-gen with tearing and 30 fps any day...

I had a crash this morning on the PS4, said the application has had an error and closed it.
There are crashes on PS4 too? :( And still sound glitches after the patch too, apparently? Damn.

Really hope they'll release a second patch for those... this game seems to desperately lack some polish.

Thats interesting, considering all the streams I saw was just castle interiors or snowy outsides, it felt like the world didnt have much variety and looked kinda lifeless.

Anyways I loved both Dark Souls games, so I guess Im gonna have to order this one today if its legit good.

You have to see the game in motion on a big TV. It's breathtaking.

And I've seen no tearing. PS4 here

I played the PS4 on this morning without patch and with. Def removes most of the screen tearing! It's a shame this isn't getting much talk. Game is pretty damn good. Minus the PC having tons of crashing issues. Hope that get's fixed.

Camp Lo

Banned
Patch definitely fixed most of my issues with frame rates. Didn't do a damn thing for crashes though. Still an excellent game, I'm having a blast.

@Morrigan: Have you even played the game? It sounds like you just want to hate it. . . .

Bottom line: I played the crap out of Demon's/DSI/DSII, and this is exactly the fix I need to get me to Bloodborne. And honestly, Bloodborne's going to have to be a beast to top this one for me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Patch definitely fixed most of my issues with frame rates. Didn't do a damn thing for crashes though.
Specs? Average fps pre-patch and current fps?

ced

There are crashes on PS4 too? :( And still sound glitches after the patch too, apparently? Damn.

Really hope they'll release a second patch for those... this game seems to desperately lack some polish.

It was post patch. I also had the no voice audio bug before it crashed.

Everything else post patch on PS4 seems pretty polished, tearing is very infrequent and the framerate dips rarely in my 3 hrs.

As we discussed earlier then game says you lose your exp bonus when saving, but some guys here are saying you don't, so checkpoint save often.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i5 3570K, Win 7 64, 680 2gb, 16 RAM

pre patch 45-50 on HQ
post 60-71 on VHQ with turbulence and vsync turned off

Thanks a bunch

eagledare

About 4 hours in and really enjoying the game. Playing as a cleric and enjoying the crunchy hammer combat. Maybe things change later but as someone who played through each souls game multiple times this game's difficulty seems right on par with the souls games so far, and certain elements I actually prefer to the souls games. The blunt weapon combat in souls (particularly when backstabbing) always felt like you were slashing or cutting with the weapon instead of the weighty, explosive impact you get here. Also, knowing the game is single player only removes the internal monologue about how many times I'm willing to take an ass beating before considering a summon.

I also had plenty of 'ah-ha!' moments when unlocking shortcuts or side paths that looped around to one of the main paths, so although I've seen little of the level design so far as of yet I'm not getting the no shortcuts/shit level design complaints yet.

I've had couple of audio bugs and I have the modest amount of screen tearing I'm seeing, but overall I'm having a blast with this game and if the experience holds up this is going to be the sleeper hit of the year for me.

Anyone find any secrets prior to the third boss? I'm not sure if I should be pressing the interact button against walls or what but so far I've found nothing.

Top Bottom