• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
serious question: What happens when you turn your PS4 to output 720p, any chance the tearing might be gone than?

Console games tend to hardcode their resolution, so even if your TV is at 720p the internal resolution of the game is unchanged and it just scales down.

NuKERxyz

Anyone playing on Xbox One? How does It hold up in terms of frame rate and screen tearing?
I only know the resolution is 900p.

Am I misreading people's posts here or is it actually fairly subjective as to whether the PS4 patch actually fixes the tearing?

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I have so much else to play right now that I'm not gonna bother spending time on something that will give me a headache. I can stand unstable or sub 30 framerates, but not tearing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This explosion dealt 2,5k damage :lol

iCdla6hdjzpjq.jpg

Has anybody noticed any artifacts while first entering that outdoor area? They appeared on my 280X, but my GTX 660 had no signs of them.

But they were large white artifacts, taking up from 20-50% of the screen as they flashed in and out. Seems like they were somehow related to the skybox. Pretty sure I'm on the latest Catalyst too.

Card temps were fine.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Am I misreading people's posts here or is it actually fairly subjective as to whether the PS4 patch actually fixes the tearing?

I'm not trying to be dramatic, but I have so much else to play right now that I'm not gonna bother spending time on something that will give me a headache. I can stand unstable or sub 30 framerates, but not tearing.

I haven't seen it after the update. If folks played once yesterday and haven't updated after a play session then I can see all the tearing issues being present.

addyb

My impressions about 2 hours in:

- anyone saying that it's "faster" than souls is out of their fucking mind! The combat is slow and deliberate...not a bad thing, just takes a while to get used to it.

- playing on ps4, graphics are good but besides some impressive lighting effects I wouldn't say I'm blown away by its next-Gen-Ness so far. No bugs yet...no frame drops...tearing is there and annoying but not gamebreaking.

- it is NOT an "easy" game. Run of the mill enemies are very easy but even the first boss fight is no cake walk. You cannot simply walk into a mini-boss or boss fight and button mash like some people have said...which leads me to my favorite aspect so far...

- boss fights are a ton of fun, leading to a major sense of accomplishment when you win. Maybe there is a way to cheese these guys - and maybe magic will change the game drastically as I explore it further - but right from the start, the first boss takes about 5 minutes to take down. Long, interesting boss battles are welcome.

- overall, after an hour or two I'd say I like it. It should probably feel more like souls than it does but combat just feels...different. not in a bad way, just makes it its own game. Too early to give a review, but I'd recommend it from what I've played.

I played DSII the night before this and I think the combat is pretty much the same speed. Of course it all depends on the weapon equipped.

I'm playing as a rogue and so far so good. Only done the 1st boss and got outside but that's my lot. It's definitely not easy with light armour though. You soon get cut down if you try and be too cocky. Difficulty seems just right for me so far.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Any reason to get Xbox version over PS4?

I was going PS4, but thinking maybe I'd get the Xbox version just to dust it off at least

Palantir

Banned

The patch DEFINITELY fixes maybe 98% of the tearing. I played for about an hour yesterday before installing the patch and it was tearing all over the place, even just while moving the camera back and forth. After the patch, I've only noticed one or two instances of tearing and those were during cut scenes with fast panning. I haven't noticed any at all during actual gameplay.
I'm pretty sensitive to it, too. I usually can't stand playing non-vsynced games on PC.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
30 bucks is a decent price for the game. I honestly would have liked to have seen it be 49.99 and think it would have made a deeper impact.

i think so too. thanks to amazon germany for selling 10€ xbox live gift cards for 8,63€ and my 15€ gift card i already got as an present :D

watched some streams for the xbox one and did not see any tearing. would be nice if someone who owns the xbox one version could write something about it.

BumRush

For people suggesting this game be half price or -20% off a normally priced console game, why? 12-15 hours of main story, multiple classes, etc...what makes this worth less?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm really enjoying this game. Slightly easier Dark Souls with more loot.

I like the art direction as well. It's like Warhammer Dark Souls.

nynt9

Any reason to get Xbox version over PS4?

I was going PS4, but thinking maybe I'd get the Xbox version just to dust it off at least

It's 900p on XB1 and 1080p on PS4 so I don't really know of any reason why you'd prefer that version given that you already seem to be invested in the PS4.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
It's 900p on XB1 and 1080p on PS4 so I don't really know of any reason why you'd prefer that version given that you already seem to be invested in the PS4.

maybe a better framerate or less tearing or anything like that? I mean, I would buy it for the ps4 if I could not get it for 30€ for the xbox one..
or just because he wants to use his xbox again :D
but I understand his question.

Sifl

I don't know if every version of the game has this issue, but I'm experiencing it on the PS4. There are walls that can be knocked down by hitting or rolling into them, but some of them won't break. If you hit the wall and it doesn't break, go into your menu, change your weapon and exit, you should be able to phase through the wall. If you get stuck on the other side, do the same thing to exit.

I was unsure but I ended up ordering it. It should arrive on Friday :)

You won't be disappointed.

I honestly feel like a lot of people want to hate this game. If you think I'm lying read the GameSpot review. They don't give out 8s easily.

It's Souls Lite for those talking about Dark Souls being too hard. If you play as Warrior you can tank a lot of hits (
especially after getting Symmetry Armor and upgraded endurance to get medium roll.
I'm going shieldless right now using weapon from first boss two handed and spamming jump attack. I feel like a total bad as

Symmetry Armor with Cleric Head ftw

I'm really liking this game from what little i've played. Had my first crash(and first time ever on PS4) about 15 minutes after beating the
Commander

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
now that I fixed (I think) the crashes, Im loving the game. Im still early on, just got the
gauntlet
, but that fucking
spider
tho! you know the one >_<

neat little detail, the shards on the checkpoints actually show how many potions you will get back, I was wondering why sometime sI didnt get 3. you cant cheese it and get all of them again right after using a checkpoint

does anyone remember a locked gate in the first zone, any idea how to open it? there was one where you could roll underneath, but this one was fully closed. I believe it was near the dimensional crystal thing

Im warrior / warrior spells but Ive since changed to medium armor (just got a new set) because its not just the roll, your walking speed is too slow with heavy armor imo. so medium armor, a sweet axe and a shield is what im rocking atm

rybrad

I am in the cellars of the monastery
(the spider area)
and I can't figure out how to open the first locked door. I got everything else in this area figured out but I can't find a switch or key for this one. Anyone know how to open it?

Ferr986

You won't be disappointed.

I honestly feel like a lot of people want to hate this game. If you think I'm lying read the GameSpot review. They don't give out 8s easily.

It's Souls Lite for those talking about Dark Souls being too hard. If you play as Warrior you can tank a lot of hits (
especially after getting Symmetry Armor and upgraded endurance to get medium roll.
I'm going shieldless right now using weapon from first boss two handed and spamming jump attack. I feel like a total bad as

Symmetry Armor with Cleric Head ftw

Yeah I did read the Gamespot and it was pretty good overall (especially considering other reviews they did). It seems like the reviewer liked the Souls series but it was fair to not ocmpare both games too much.

Anyways, I think Im gonna like it. I love the Souls games (even 2, some people hated it but I loved it too). Not worried about being easier or harder as long as its fun. Just hope theres enough content.

I'm going to the barbershop after work today and if I stop by the Gamestop across the street when I'm done, I have a feeling I'll end up bringing this home.

I won't even get to play much until next week with a basketball game to watch tonight and a long weekend out of town, but oh well!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nobody knows how to open that locked gate in the first area, before you exit outside? :(

near the dimensional crystal thingie?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I am in the cellars of the monastery
(the spider area)
and I can't figure out how to open the first locked door. I got everything else in this area figured out but I can't find a switch or key for this one. Anyone know how to open it?

There is a North Monastery Key. Haven't gone back yet to try it because fuck those spiders at my level.

Some random complaints:

The hitboxes on some of these mobs with shields is definitely off, and the space for a backstab seems SUPER tiny. Like it needs to be lined up just so or it doesn't count. It's frustrating because while Harkyn swing slow as shit if he is decked out as such, he MOVES way to damn fast so lining up a backstab is not the same as in Dark Souls, especially when locked on. If I'm locked on I should move slower (both in being offensive and getting out of the way), making my actions more deliberate and giving me more precision in getting that backstab. Instead I just hack about at the enemies back. This is if they aren't recovering exceptionally fast from their own animations.

Also what is the point of shield bash? At least with The Butcher (early axe) I can't seem to get in for any relevant attacks. I mean the player gets staggered on a shield bash, but the AI can have their shield up forever and a damn day.

Maybe I'm just hungry and need a nap, but the little things are starting to annoy the shit out of me.

addyb

This is far more forgiving than Dark Souls HOWEVER It's not mash X to win.

Yeah, it's really not. Dark Souls 2 is super super easy.

Fair enough. I find souls 2 quite hard but we all have our strengths and weaknesses I guess lol

Camp Lo

Banned
Yeah I try to backstab but I don't know where the hell I'm supposed to position myself. I've gotten it maybe 2 out of 10 times I've tried.

I second the WTF is Shield Bash for really

Camp Lo

Banned
That said, I highly doubt we will see anything in this game as tough as the Pursuer, Smelter 2.0, Ancient Dragon, Fume Knight or Twin Tigers.

Nah, the bosses are really formulaic here. I meant to say that this game isn't a cakewalk for those who found Dark Souls too much; If Dark Souls was Hard Mode, this is Normal.

Toreal

After the patch today (pc) shield bashing seems really inconsistent to me, sometimes I just run into enemies with my shield down

Anyone else have this?

edit:
What the heck do you have to do against these enemies?
I sprint at them and then bash my shield (LB), that will stagger them enough for 1-2 hits, but after the patch it seems buggy to me

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the heck do you have to do against these enemies? Shield break doesn't even work, rolling is junk in his game due to the fact that enemies with shields recover from their attacks before your roll is even over. I can steam roll demon's and dark 1&2 but this enemy here is frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEaqrU0w_G0&feature=youtu.be

Video should be done processing soon.

When he charges, attack. You'll diminish all of his block. Rinse, repeat.

Top Bottom