• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

NoWayOut

Just got it last night for PC and played for about one hour. So far I really like it and I'm looking forward to play more of it.

ZangBa

Came here for some help on getting one of the special boss weapons, but damn, there is quite some negativity here. Personally, I've really enjoyed the game so far and I'd say I'm about 80% of the way through. It's a bit tiresome reading everyone compare it to the Soul series constantly, you might as well compare every FPS to Doom and Counterstrike. Every game takes some inspiration from something, so let this game be judged on its own and not about how it compares to the Soul series.

I'd say the game is pretty easy, but I think some guys will have fun trying a level 1 playthrough. I made it past the 3rd boss before I started using my experience because I wanted that all in trophy, I decided to just do it later on rather than gimping myself. My only real complaints with the game are the bugs and variety of enemies. The art style is pretty subjective, love it or hate it, it's very Darksiders/Blizzardish, I personally like it. The graphics in general I think are pretty good. The combat is satisfying, and there's plenty of weapon types to use. I don't really care to use spells but I think it's neat that you can cleverly use them to get some secrets. The larger shield enemies are the only type that I think are tedious to fight. I don't know if I lack the understanding of how to fight them, but I just end up spamming a shield bash into 2 attacks and repeating until they die, which can take like 7 hits or so.

As far as the design of the world is concerned, It's great. There's so many different paths you take, secrets you can find and shortcuts you can unlock. I'd say the shortcuts are numerous and useful, one in particular surprised the hell out of me. Some of the secrets are pretty well hidden if you don't have the compass to help you, and even with that it can be a bit confusing. I never felt too lost at any point even in the catacombs where I see the most complaints, but the few times I was, I enjoyed it. In fact, getting lost and walking around in the same few places helped me find some chests or secrets I didn't know about before. I love that I keep finding unique pieces of gear as I play along. There aren't any truly generic items, everything has a unique name to it and I think that's pretty cool. I feel like the design of the world is very similar to something like Castlevania: SotN in 3D. I'd even go as far to say this would be a perfect template for such a game, with some obvious tweaks.

If I were to rate this game, it would probably be a 7.5. I feel like the lack of enemy variety really hinders the game. It's pretty stupid you fight the same enemies near the end of the game, only with higher stats, and you know you ran out of ideas when you fight
the first boss as a normal enemy
not even halfway through. the bugs are really bad, from the bosses taking no damage when they should, audio cutting out, a few crashes with my personal favorite crash where the game didn't give me an error, but started to freeze and make horror movie noises.

Another complaint I forgot to mention is some of the side-quests are just a little too vague. I would have liked some way to track them in the lore section or something (if there is a way please let me know). I'm certainly not asking for quest markers or anything, but the dialogue surrounding a few of them has been so vague I had no idea where I was even supposed to go. I had a quest where
the monk whose hand I chopped off earlier asked me to go clear out his lab. he wasn't really clear where I would find it, so I ran around killing everything where I thought it might be and went back to find it had been completed. Then, he asked me to meet him there. It wasn't in the spot I thought it was so I just said fuck it I'll do it later, otherwise I'd be running around in circles until I found it.
There were a couple more quests that were like this.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game and I've found myself absorbed by it. I hope they patch out the crazy bugs soon, it's really the worst part about it. So, does anyone know how to get the
Annihilator's
special weapon?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Any patch that improves performance yet?

Jinaar

Hi everyone! I was wondering if this game would be a good fit for someone who dug the idea behind the Souls series, but sucked at them enough to not enjoy the actual games themselves .

I would say jump in!

My history with these games you have referenced are Demon's Souls + Dark Souls + Dark Souls 2 with DLC + The Witcher 1 and 2 + Shadows of Mordor, so hopefully my opinion can amount to something.

The game is solid. Very solid. Difficulty is just right for the player that doesn't want to walk up to trash mobs and die instantly and start with a body run. Trash mobs can be dangerous but they won't make you sweat buckets. This jams with the combo modifier, the more you kill, the better loot and more exp you get.

There is difficulty though. Boss 3 murdered me 5 times until I got a bunch of my ducks in a row and then it was rather easy. Solid old school style learning through mistakes and experience to become better.

Also the boss fights so far have been well done. Lots of movement, counter attacking, blocking, rolling and more.

I am going 2HD Greatsword (Warrior) mostly and I feel that I hardly use magic and end up paying the price with taking needless hits. I'm going to change my play style and allow magic to compliment my game play so I don't allow spiders to ruin my face or groups of mobs to overwhelm me.

Graphically it is gorgeous. PC has issues though and even I am still sort of taken aback at certain things, like distant mountains being redrawn in the distance, or my graphic settings changing back to defaults. Random.

I believe after I finish the game, my 2nd play thru will be much stronger, due to learning the mechanics of my melee coupled with magics and the gauntlet, which that too I hardly use.

It will become like Mordor, once you learn all you can do in a fight, holy shit hawks, you can become something else :)

I've embraced the game and it's not allowing me to play Sunset Overdrive. I got the Fallen on the brain.

ced

These spiders are the fucking worst.

They're horrible, equip a great sword with 2H stance and it will stagger them every hit, if you have enough energy they take 4 hits for me in one go now.

With the exception of one cheap death to the 3rd boss spiders are the only thing that has killed me. Actually I think I've been skewered by the big shield guys before, but the spiders have destroyed me.

Jinaar

Thanks for the quick reply. This sounds like the kind of experience I'm looking for: challenging enough to be fun but not too frustrating.

I will also mention to the above posters comment that the odd time you may not know where you are going, I too had an enjoyable experience back tracking and finding new pathways, treasure, breakable walls, jumping challenges and doors I can open from the other side to unlock them.

Plus all that back tracking allows for my modifier to go up equating to more experience and also learning what I can do differently on mobs I encounter.

There are also these portals that can be opened after you defeat a boss nearby. I didn't have time to read a tool tip during a loading screen but it seemed to me these portals to the hell regions give you items as well can be used to grind mobs to help build that modifier too. Looks to be by design.

ced

There are also these portals that can be opened after you defeat a boss nearby. I didn't have time to read a tool tip during a loading screen but it seemed to me these portals to the hell regions give you items as well can be used to grind mobs to help build that modifier too. Looks to be by design.

I found one that is an arena fight of sorts, I haven't completed it yet.

Jinaar

One last Pro-Tip: Always make a visual observation at your characters actually run speed on screen. You already may be sprinting.

WHY:
Holding down A normally will allow you to run/sprint. But, I've noticed that after I get hit, get up and than run move away from my enemy, my character actually hits sprint speed without the need to hold A. This causes me great confusion because my first reaction while fleeing from my opponent is to press and hold A to sprint, which somehow I am already in, engaging me to now do a jumping roll. There goes all my stamina.

Could be a bug or could be by design. Don't know. Just know I have to adapt.

theDeeDubs

I was actually in the same area and fighting the same boss on my XB1 while watching the GB Quicklook, and my version does not look or play anywhere near that bad. He must have been playing without a patch and had his gamma settings all screwed up. It looked borderline unplayable on his. Mine has some drops but feels much smoother than the Souls games ever were.

Ricker

What level where you guys for Boss 3...?,I am level 26 now and the fight is taking forever,the little guys that charge you on top of the Boss are annoying as fuck...pretty much done with this I think.

Zafir

Yeah, I feel like I wasn't having any trouble damaging him, and even with
the adds, I didn't have any trouble taking them out and keeping my health up.

I feel like once I get down to
the last phase where he stops shielding, meteor drops fuck me over. I had three separate attempts last night that went smooth as butter up to the last phase, and then I had a meteor spawn to where I was moving, and then chain hit me while I was down. Frustrating,
When he starts the meteor move stay back far enough that the shield slam doesn't hit you but not too far back. As soon as he's slammed run in and they shouldn't hit you if you're quick enough. They don't fall close to him. You just need to find the sweet spot of where to stand while he slams.

What level where you guys for Boss 3...?,I am level 26 now and the fight is taking forever,the little guys that charge you on top of the Boss are annoying as fuck...pretty much done with this I think.
I was around that aswell maybe lower. Use your gauntlet to shoot the two structure he spawns which the adds come out of. If your quick enough they won't spawn. Unfortunately it did take a long time for me aswell as my 1h sword wasnt doing much dmg.

Jinaar

I was about that level, maybe level 28.

Some tips:
- bait him into doing the double swing attack. After the 2nd swing almost finishes, start your DASH + R2 attack to hit him hard and fast. Move away.
- He throws his grenades, keep moving away
- The ground scythe attack is very noticeable. Once you see his animation start, just start running around him, counting the scythes that appear behind you, just before the third one comes out of the ground, DASH + R2 his ass into a R1.
- Little adds. Notice his animation where he calls the two little bone cocoons. You can always get to one fast enough and just roll into it, a weapon wind up is too long. Then run towards the other one and do the same thing, If you cannot make it in time, switch to one hand weapon, target cocoon (Analog1 press) and shoot the Gauntlet Projectile. Easy.
- Also watch his ground pound stun. Just always keep out of distance and do an attack quickly afterwards.

Thanks for the quick reply. This sounds like the kind of experience I'm looking for: challenging enough to be fun but not too frustrating.
The only "problem" I have so far is that you can make things REALLY easy, like I am completely wrecking shit with my weapon, but idk if I would actually call it a problem because it is still very possible for me to get my own shit wrecked. There is still the challenge of paying attention to your enemies and surroundings, as well as other things such as timing your attacks well. I haven't grinded or felt the need to at all yet, and I haven't gotten tired of running around and exploring either (I just killed the 4th boss). I've just been going along at my own pace, and I'm having a great time.

I do think they should do some balancing
*looks at My Axe*
so that more of the weapons are actually worth using though. Yeah, I could just not use it but when it's just sitting there at the top of my list of weapons with massive damage numbers, it's like....why not lol.

Zafir

I'd say the game seems to get easier as you go on. I didn't die on the 4th or 5th bosses for example.

Maybe it gets harder again though.

Sothpaw

Owned him as a level 25 warrior. Are you using shield charge? If not do it. It knocks those fuckers right on their asses and makes them a complete non-factor.

theDeeDubs

Those guys practically kill themselves on my cleric's damage shield. I usually try to take out one of the "cocoons" since it's a 1-shot and then do my self-buff. It works out to be one of the better chances of actually getting a spell off, since otherwise a sneeze will interrupt it.

Was definitely going the wrong way last night, I found some weird AI exploits with those big shield guys that made them pretty easy to take out, and it just resulted in a locked door. I'm enjoying the game more. I was frustrated mostly last night because I had actually parked my guy at the intended path at the end of lunch yesterday and when I got home and booted it up I had lost about 30 minutes of progress. I quickly tried to plow through the area and missed a path the second time through. The game sure is a little buggy. Before I posted last night, my guy was just laying on the ground. My damage shield had killed one of those big shield guys on his killing blow to me. The game didn't recognize I had died. Had to manually quit out.

Ricker

Thanks for the tips guys,I will try this out and a few changes also...I am still using the Moon Staff and the gauntlet projectile does 19 damage to him...a few of the tips given I am doing already except the shield bashing and the like ,I rarely ever use a Shield...

The second Boss,besides the adds,I beat by only using the Gauntlet...

addyb

Any tips on the graveyard boss. He's wiping me out.
I have been using the altars at the start and nailing him when he prays but should I be saving these for when I've got his health down more. He has this range attack with a massive explosion. Should I be leggings away as Far as possible when he's charging that up.

I'm playing as a rogue.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Any video of framerate-analysis of the PS4-version?

deoee

Any tips on the graveyard boss. He's wiping me out.
I have been using the altars at the start and nailing him when he prays but should I be saving these for when I've got his health down more. He has this range attack with a massive explosion. Should I be leggings away as Far as possible when he's charging that up.

I'm playing as a rogue.

You can get him to destroy the shrines. It will do dmg and leave him stunned for about 15 seconds or so.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I haven't seen many negative opinions as strong as your "5/10" review, so i don't know what you're talking about here.

There is no way the game is a 5. It is most definitely a solid 7 and could have been an 8 without the technical issues (including the janky writing). That guy just SERIOUSLY wants to be justified for the trollish way he went about trying to communicate why Dark Souls was quite obviously better than this game and why others were just ignorant idiots for not agreeing.

Also after having a 7 hour game get corrupted, I remembered about PS+ save uploads and just restarted from there. In my anger I went around on a kill spree (I had spent an hour grinding enemies) and discovered a ton of shit I missed the first time.

I also respecced into Faith and. . .oh boy.

theDeeDubs

There is no way the game is a 5. It is most definitely a solid 7 and could have been an 8 without the technical issues (including the janky writing). That guy just SERIOUSLY wants to be justified for the trollish way he went about trying to communicate why Dark Souls was quite obviously better than this game and why others were just ignorant idiots for not agreeing.

Also after having a 7 hour game get corrupted, I remembered about PS+ save uploads and just restarted from there. In my anger I went around on a kill spree (I had spent an hour grinding enemies) and discovered a ton of shit I missed the first time.

I also respecced into Faith and. . .oh boy.

Gauntlet damage? Was curious how that would go. I really wish there were more to magic.

I would also like some balancing on armor. There should be more incentives for not wearing heavy armor. Maybe give mana regen for wearing medium for example.

I feel like it's hard to judge this game without comparing it to Souls. For one it would be easier to overlook the world design and enemy balancing if I had not just platinumed three Souls games last generation, but at the same time this game would not exist had it not been for them either. I think it's definitely worth any Souls fan's time to play through this. You have to go in with your expectations in check. This is not to say Souls games are flawless either. I just think they have much better combat mechanics and balance in them.

deoee

Gauntlet damage? Was curious how that would go. I really wish there were more to magic.

I would also like some balancing on armor. There should be more incentives for not wearing heavy armor. Maybe give mana regen for wearing medium for example.

I just found out you can rune your gauntlet and it will change the spells according to the rune you put in them :3

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I haven't really been using my Gauntlet. I GUESS some of the rune slotted abilities would be useful (health steal, distraction, knockdown) but I've mostly just been running around murdering with the Qamar staff and Daze.

I really feel like they didn't do much Q&A for balancing issues, because yea. . .OP. Thankfully it doesn't work on bosses, but Shelter does so you can basically tank and spank if you want while multicasting your abilities one after another.

greenfish

Banned
I approve of this post.

You do huh?

The kid I mean man is "29 years old" he call's everyone an idiot if they don't approve of his opinion. I'm suprised he's not banned yet.

Here's a sample of his nice behaviour

Indeed.

The fact that it takes most people a second playthrough to start grasping it, doesn't disprove its narrative, though.

The core combat is OK. What others have said is correct: it's a heavier, meatier Dark Souls. It lacks the refine features of DS, like the parry system and some other moves, and the hitboxes feel a bit naff compared to the generally super tight ones in the Souls games, but the weapons are fun to use, yes. And the sound design is pretty good, to bad they vary in volume all the time and are a bit intrusive.

My most used weapon was the great axe My Axe. I had a smaller axe on the side for enemies who had a smaller window to get hit in (My Axe's animations have a long wind-up time). In the last 15% of the game, I switched My Axe for a really strong Greatsword I found, of which I have forgotten the name.

I also used the gauntlet's projectile attack to aggro some enemies in the distance, quickly take out little spiders or damage ghost enemies.

You have summarized the Souls games' plots, not their narratives. Also, you're just speculating on Lords of the Fallen, while I've actively played it and finished it.

You're behaving like an idiot, simple as. Stop posting before you make yourself look like a bigger idiot.

Sorry for going off topic guys, but I spilled my coffee after working for 16 hours reading his hilarious bullshit about having a different opinion. The irony is almost bitersweet

Ricker

I might respec...Prayer and Mimic are absolutly useless at first,especially on Boss fights...I am not that far from the statues,might gain a few levels killing stuff on the way because that 3rd Boss fight is a chore,even with all the tips you guys gave me...barely got him to half...my health just goes down way too fast from anything and that little pause when you drink a potion doesnt help,the camera drive me nuts..also how do you put a rune in your gauntlet...I guess I cant because I cant craft yet...? am I suppose to have learned crafting by now at level 26 near the 3rd Boss...?

Just got it last night for PC and played for about one hour. So far I really like it and I'm looking forward to play more of it.

That's how i feel right now. I'm anxious to get home and play some more. The combat is meaty and feels good. At first I didn't like the slowness, but now I'm getting into the rhythm. I quite like it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, this is BS. After 2nd boss:

My ring started beeping by a broken tower wall, and I saw there was a little path down there. I dropped down, and found a sword. No where to go except one way : into the 3rd (I think?) boss graveyard. I'm basically locked into fighting this guy... takes me about an hour and half to finally take him down. Now, I'm stuck between entering a the portal into the "lord land" or going through these tombs where I basically get one-hit dead by anything. What the hell am I supposed to do? Just keep running? I'm extremely underleveled here... I think I'm around level 12...

Ok, this is BS. After 2nd boss:

My ring started beeping by a broken tower wall, and I saw there was a little path down there. I dropped down, and found a sword. No where to go except one way : into the 3rd (I think?) boss graveyard. I'm basically locked into fighting this guy... takes me about an hour and half to finally take him down. Now, I'm stuck between entering a the portal into the "lord land" or going through these tombs where I basically get one-hit dead by anything. What the hell am I supposed to do? Just keep running? I'm extremely underleveled here... I think I'm around level 12...

I'm confused. I don't remember there being a save crystal between the point you drop down and the boss - so when you died to the boss, didn't you just respawn back into the normal area? I don't understand why you were stuck fighting him. Because I dropped down in the same spot and then died... and I did a lot more exploring of the main area before going back to him.

Also, fellow red magic users (I forget the actual name, the "warrior" spells), Ram is amazing. That is all :p

Ram really is great. Fucking hits like a truck, through shields and multiple enemies. Everytime I cast it I say some stupid football quote in my head cuz it looks like a running back plowing through the line.

..."John Randall trucks his way into the endzone like a bulldozer!"

You do huh?

The kid I mean man is "29 years old" he call's everyone an idiot if they don't approve of his opinion. I'm suprised he's not banned yet.

Here's a sample of his nice behaviour

Sorry for going off topic guys, but I spilled my coffee after working for 16 hours reading his hilarious bullshit about having a different opinion. The irony is almost bitersweet

Why are u still talking about this? I saw your garbage many pages back. I think your the one who cant take a different opinion. if you are so much older and wiser, why are u acting like the middle school kid who has to get the last word in.

ak1276

Banned
Why are u still talking about this? I saw your garbage many pages back. I think your the one who cant take a different opinion. if you are so much older and wiser, why are u acting like the middle school kid who has to get the last word in.

Well, to be fair, they were both acting like seven year old kids.

Jinaar

I'm confused. I don't remember there being a save crystal between the point you drop down and the boss - so when you died to the boss, didn't you just respawn back into the normal area? I don't understand why you were stuck fighting him. Because I dropped down in the same spot and then died... and I did a lot more exploring of the main area before going back to him.

There are two ways to that boss. He found the 2nd way :)

Top Bottom