• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
The kid I mean man is "29 years old" he call's everyone an idiot if they don't approve of his opinion.

laughing-puppets-o.gif

Seriously, though; are you fucking dense? For real?

For someone who you are calling a kid, I sure as hell kept giving in-depth arguments to back up my opinions, while you resorted to nothing but "I'm older, respect my authoritah". Multiple fucking times, even.

It comes as no surprise that I eventually called you an idiot (and to be honest, who could blame me?). Your replies were childish, simplistic and repetitive beyond belief, and the amount of people who were flabbergasted at your age "arguments" and called you out for it, supports this, gramps.

But, but all means, keep digging. There's a hilarious undertone to your anger.

There is no way the game is a 5. It is most definitely a solid 7 and could have been an 8 without the technical issues (including the janky writing). That guy just SERIOUSLY wants to be justified for the trollish way he went about trying to communicate why Dark Souls was quite obviously better than this game.

The game is a 5 in my opinion and I have explained countless times again as to why. It angered me more than it entertained or satisfied me, and that had to do with way more things than just the bugs. From the lackluster combat to the infuriating level design, I couldn't bring myself to score it higher.

And, FYI, I wanted to love the game. I've written two previews about this game before I got the review version and I was gushing with praise in those, even going as far as calling it a potential sleeper hit.

As far as the comparisons to Dark Souls go, that's not even my own fault. The devs encouraged us game journalists to do so!

And don't think I see Dark Souls as the holy grail of gaming, because I'm very critical of that series as well. My hatred and bile for areas like Lost Izalith are well known.

I'm not saying you people aren't allowed to enjoy this game. By all means, please do! That's what video games are for. I was just being brutally honest these last few days to temper expectations, which, undoubtedly, have helped people enjoy the game more. I know one of you is thankful for that at least, going of the private message I've received. Plus, I enjoy a good discussion. It's the best way to learn and expand horizons. I also hope the devs get the chance to work on a sequel, because the love and ambition is obviously there, and I would love a Lords of the Fallen that isn't riddled with the flaws it has now :)

Jolkien

How do you switch main weapon between the ones you favored ?
Nevermind I figured it out. (Right on the D-Pad) If someone was wondering.

Another complaint I forgot to mention is some of the side-quests are just a little too vague. I would have liked some way to track them in the lore section or something (if there is a way please let me know). I'm certainly not asking for quest markers or anything, but the dialogue surrounding a few of them has been so vague I had no idea where I was even supposed to go.
Strongly agree with this. Some sort of journal/record of dialogue would be really helpful.

Playing as a cleric I haven't been seeing many faith scaling weapons dropping. Been using the Clawfinger for a long time now due to really no other viable options, I'd love to swap this out but I'm worried I'll be stuck using this slow ass thing until the end.

Also, is there any way to sell/break down old gear?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
For someone who you are calling a kid, I sure as hell kept giving in-depth arguments to back up my opinions, while you resorted to nothing but "I'm older, respect my authoritah". Multiple fucking times, even.[

Except when you were busy flaming others; the guy flaming you - I can see that response. People responding to you in a calm manner. . .not so much. Seriously, do you not remember what you type?

Playing as a cleric I haven't been seeing many faith scaling weapons dropping. Been using the Clawfinger for a long time now due to really no other viable options, I'd love to swap this out but I'm worried I'll be stuck using this slow ass thing until the end.

I've been using the Qamar since it is a lot faster and seems to stagger easier. I am however getting sick of seeing all of these STR/AGI scaling weapons. I have seen so far TWO weapons that scale off FTH and that's obnoxious.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
hawkings-lol.gif

Personally I think it's much more damning when a man is willing to glance over arguments solely because the tone of a message might be too much for him to handle.

But, sure, take the easy way out, bro :)

Can we please get back to talking about... you know, Lords of the Fallen? Not turning this into some elementary school playground fight.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Personally I think it's much more damning when a man is willing to glance over arguments solely because the tone of a message might be too much for him to handle.

But, sure, take the easy way out, bro :)

Actually, despite the rude and obnoxious way you conduct yourself, I answered your arguments about the game and its inferiority/superiority to Dark Souls. There was an entire conversation about how both handle storytelling and your "retort" was tantamount to you shoving your fingers in your ears and calling folks "ignorant". Granted this was before actually playing LotF myself,and simply going off developer commentary. Having now played the game I can say - yea LotF presents it's (very contained) world better.

Note this says NOTHING about the quality of either.

Sanctuary

So what exactly is poise supposed to do in this game? I mean, I've only killed five bosses so far, and my stats screen only shows 23 poise, but I'm wearing the highest poise armor I've found so far. The way it works in you know what is that it allows you to eat a hit and continue your swing without interruption. In this game I can't tell if you just need an absurd amount, or if it's even working. I literally get interrupted out of everything if I'm somewhat close and using my somewhat slow axe by every single enemy; even those that do light hits. Jumping attacks seem to work on most enemies and will even trade, except for the larger knights with the more ornate skull shields. They just swat me away like a fly if they decide to use their shield instead of swinging their sword.

I also ended up getting a shield that has 46 poise on it. I don't remember which screen showed it, but there was a screen that said shields will add to your total poise. Yet it absolutely does not in the stats screen. I've even looked with the shield raised and it did not change anything. Even if they are also using "poise" for shield "stability", it still doesn't seem to really matter since I'm blocking big attacks the same with this shield as I do the shields with only 8 poise on them and the energy drained is the same.

Yet enemies seem to be able to eat power swings and keep attacking...

addyb

It's a strange one this. I both enjoy and kind of loathe the game at the same time. For me I love the combat and it's great fun trying different weapons etc but the whole story and environment is uninspiring. I agree with spainkiller in that I hope they get to do a sequel. There are a lot of good ideas here and with some work they could truly give the likes of dark souls a proper run for its money.

I guess for me it's one of those games I enjoy once playing but after its switched off I instantly forget about it. That's not happened with mordor, evil within and drive club.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does anyone know what the
Compass
that you get from the
monk side quest
early on is for? I equip it but nothing happens :/

Radian8

Since I got the 60MB patch on PC my performance has dropped about half, constant stuttering and crashing. I had basically zero issue before that patch, which has made the game pretty much unplayable :/

The worst crash so far is I can make the game crash every time when I use the special weapon I got from the third boss. Every time I use it on an enemy, game crashes...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm confused. I don't remember there being a save crystal between the point you drop down and the boss - so when you died to the boss, didn't you just respawn back into the normal area? I don't understand why you were stuck fighting him. Because I dropped down in the same spot and then died... and I did a lot more exploring of the main area before going back to him.

When I died the first time, it checkpointed me between the door into the one-hit mob tombs and the boss graveyard. It sucked.

so is there a patch any time soon fixing tearing on PS4? day one patch helped but didnt eliminate it.

found the game unplayable for me with the tearing, however I enjoyed the gameplay enough that I will keep the game and come back to it when they fix it.

it would be a real shame if they couldnt patch it, great game just needed a bit more time to get it running smooth

Oh, I never said I replied calmly.

Because I don't.

tumblr_n9g7zraGVh1racblmo2_500.gif

Really loving this game so far. The combat is great- loving the gauntlet mechanic and the music and graphics are really wekll done. The loot/crafting material drop rate is a great idea-as is regaining your experience after you die (it depreciates overtime). I like that its an easier (but by no means EASY) take on the Souls formula.

The framerate takes a few hits and the tearing is a little crazy in the open areas, but it doesent impede a fantastic experience, or hinder gameplay.

Sothpaw

OK I have 4 bosses down and I think I am missing something. Just killed the
Guardian
in the catacombs for reference.

Where do I find the dagger for the woman who is asking for it?

Also that one monk gave me a ring to search for some signs, but I don't see them anywhere?

Thrax

Banned
Loving the game. Played about 2 hours of it. Really gorgeous and immersive.
I'd kill to have this engine and level of quality used for Dark Souls/Bloodborne.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Guardian

Also that one monk gave me a ring to search for some signs, but I don't see them anywhere?

The dagger drops from an enemy not far from her. Same with the signs, they are all within like 50 feet of the monk who gives you the quest.

Sanctuary

Guardian

The tower like area right before the save crystal. Go down to where you fought the
spider
. There are two exits in that room. One of which gives you a
key
and the other leads off to the
locked Catacombs door
. Take the exit that gives the
key and has some platforming involved.

It sounds like you entered the Catacombs from the back way.

Sothpaw

The dagger drops from an enemy not far from her. Same with the signs, they are all within like 50 feet of the monk who gives you the quest.

Thanks man.

The tower like area right before the save crystal. Go down to where you fought the
spider
. There are two exits in that room. One of which gives you a
key
and the other leads off to the
catacombs
. Take the exit that gives the
key and has some platforming involved.

I'm not even sure how you managed to enter the Catacombs in the first place, since I thought you needed the
key you get for returning the dagger!

Hah must have returned her dagger and not noticed. I was pretty exhausted from watching the Giants win the world series last night.

greenfish

Banned
laughing-puppets-o.gif

Seriously, though; are you fucking dense? For real?

For someone who you are calling a kid, I sure as hell kept giving in-depth arguments to back up my opinions, while you resorted to nothing but "I'm older, respect my authoritah". Multiple fucking times, even.

It comes as no surprise that I eventually called you an idiot (and to be honest, who could blame me?). Your replies were childish, simplistic and repetitive beyond belief, and the amount of people who were flabbergasted at your age "arguments" and called you out for it, supports this, gramps.

But, but all means, keep digging. There's a hilarious undertone to your anger.

The game is a 5 in my opinion and I have explained countless times again as to why. It angered me more than it entertained or satisfied me, and that had to do with way more things than just the bugs. From the lackluster combat to the infuriating level design, I couldn't bring myself to score it higher.

And, FYI, I wanted to love the game. I've written two previews about this game before I got the review version and I was gushing with praise in those, even going as far as calling it a potential sleeper hit.

As far as the comparisons to Dark Souls go, that's not even my own fault. The devs encouraged us game journalists to do so!

And don't think I see Dark Souls as the holy grail of gaming, because I'm very critical of that series as well. My hatred and bile for areas like Lost Izalith are well known.

I'm not saying you people aren't allowed to enjoy this game. By all means, please do! That's what video games are for. I was just being brutally honest these last few days to temper expectations, which, undoubtedly, have helped people enjoy the game more. I know one of you is thankful for that at least, going of the private message I've received. Plus, I enjoy a good discussion. It's the best way to learn and expand horizons. I also hope the devs get the chance to work on a sequel, because the love and ambition is obviously there, and I would love a Lords of the Fallen that isn't riddled with the flaws it has now :)

Again you're using words you cannot fully comprehend. What language is your native tongue? I speak 7, perhaps you should try a different language.

(Ignorant does not mean what you think it means

Also it's we're*)

The first thing you cried about, yes cried, was that souls does have a very deep story. Majority told you to read a book or two, you claimed we we're all ignorant.

It comes as no surprise that I eventually called you an idiot (and to be honest, who could blame me?).

You actually called me an idiot? Show me where so I can also report you. The post I quoted wasn't me (3 strikes and you're out)

Your replies were childish, simplistic and repetitive beyond belief, and the amount of people who were flabbergasted at your age "arguments" and called you out for it, supports this, gramps.

Childish = subjective

Simplistic = yes, that happens when you work more than 12 hours per day also english is not my pref language

Repetitive? I said souls doesn't have a masterful story one time.

in-depth arguments

siV0Yc0.jpg

EDIT I'm not calling you a kid, i'm saying you are. There's no way a 29 year old can be this childish... no way. Anyone you don't agree with, you label as idiot, that's a 5-8 sandbox mentality.

Sanctuary

Thanks man.

Hah must have returned her dagger and not noticed. I was pretty exhausted from watching the Giants win the world series last night.

There's actually the back way as well, although I stopped bothering with that area when it was available earlier on (level 10) because I kept getting wrecked by the constant Reaver/Guardian type knights. I'm not sure if it's an unlockable exit only, or if you can get into the Catacombs that way too without needing
to enter the locked door from the front.

Sothpaw

There's actually the back way as well, although I stopped bothering with that area when it was available earlier on (level 10) because I kept getting wrecked by the constant Reaver/Guardian type knights. I'm not sure if it's an unlockable exit only, or if you can get into the Catacombs that way too without needing
to enter the locked door from the front.

That big gate after the Guardian, can you open that? I remember seeing some stuff in there. Back tracking to the monk sign quest now.

I played (PS4) for an hour or so last night before bed, and finally got the 1st boss after getting my butt kicked several times and trying the different weapon and shield/no shield combinations. I'm playing as a rogue despite the warnings, because I thought it would be challenging.

So far, so good. I could definitely tell the difference in tearing pre- and post-patch but had no other issues. I think it's a good looking game and am enjoying the atmosphere and patience required to play and not die often.

I'll be away for the weekend but would love to give remote play a shot if I get a chance.

Sanctuary

That big gate after the Guardian, can you open that? I remember seeing some stuff in there. Back tracking to the monk sign quest now.

Haha, yes. Right on the other side of that gate is
a save crystal and pretty much the entrance to the Catacombs. But AFAIK, that's actually the entrance to the Guardian fight, and the lever is on the other side of the gate.

The catacombs are massive. I think I'm finally lost in here.

You'll get used to it after an hour. The Holding Cell area is mostly just one big circle on the upper section anyway. The three different sections below aren't too terribly hard to navigate since they are pretty much sectioned off until you open up shortcuts.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
holy shit at this
catacomb / jail area
, its so good

question: I clearly hear a chyme from the
compass
in one of these
jail cells
, but I cant seem to break any wall?

Top Bottom