• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

I dunno. I grew up in Orange County and when I think L.A. I think of extreme poverty, graffiti everywhere, gang bloodbaths, and homeless people scattered everywhere. LA is like New York was in the 70s.

Okay this is the funniest fucking thing I've read all week. What the hell are you talking about? Hell, I pretty much lived in skid row for a couple years, and even that isn't too bad outside of like a couple square blocks.

Is LA like Miami, where you're pretty much constantly surrounded by the ghetto no matter where you go?

lol no.

CFMOORE!

for bay cities though, they are closed on mondays and lines are INSANELY long. order online and stroll in and pickup the best sandwich you will ever eat in your life.

NoRéN

Hyperbole much? It's not like that at all.

Nah, he's right. Also, all them killer gang members ride like this:
2VF6G.jpg

yes it is. some parts of la anyways.
or you're being disingenuous.

No. Fuck that. He really wasn't. Fucker said all of LA was like that and it's obviously complete bullshit not worthy of defense. Defending his sentiment is being disingenuous.

I'm saying this as someone who has actually spent a fair amount of time in the poorer areas of the city, and who's wife grew up in Pico-Union.

beat

*thread subscribed*

I'm moving to LA in a few weeks or so. Job is in Culver City, apartment is in LA just outside of Culver City. I'm hoping the Metro's Expo line will open for business by April, not summer/fall/whenever.

No. Fuck that. He really wasn't. Fucker said all of LA was like that and it's obviously complete bullshit not worthy of defense. Defending his sentiment is being disingenuous.

I'm saying this as someone who has actually spent a fair amount of time in the poorer areas of the city, and who's wife grew up in Pico-Union.
Thinking about the negative aspects of la isn't the same as a sweeping generalization.

I can easily show la times articles of gangbang victims, or homeless photos, or the countless graffitis.

Thinking about the negative aspects of la isn't the same as a sweeping generalization.

I can easily show la times articles of gangbang victims, or homeless photos, or the countless graffitis.

No he clearly made sweeping generalizations. "LA is like New York was in the 70s."

And saying you could find those articles and photos is meaningless, every single major city will have that. You want to talk about specific areas of the city you have beef with, fine. There are some sketchy areas in LA, especially going south from Downtown. But honestly, I have never questioned my safety in the city in the past 13 years I've lived here, and I have been all over the LA metro area.

Again, comparison of some aspects to NYC isn't a sweeping generalization.
And it's meaningless? Do you willfully ignore the not so glamorous parts of la?
Are you an ostrich?
Because I have a hole for your head to go to.

Edit: I so didn't mean my butthole. I wasn't hitting on you. :/

Again, comparison of some aspects to NYC isn't a sweeping generalization.
And it's meaningless? Do you willfully ignore the not so glamorous parts of la?
Are you an ostrich?
Because I have a hole for your head to go to.

Edit: I so didn't mean my butthole. I wasn't hitting on you. :/

Fuck you man, you have no idea what and where I've seen in this town.

I lived immediately adjacent to skid row for 2 years. My wife currently works IN skid row. I drive through it every single day. My sister in law lives in East LA. I've spent a huge amount of time in the poorer areas of Pico-Union, where my wife lived her whole life. I currently live in Lincoln Heights, and the 18th Street gang tags up my garage door every couple months, cause my residence happens to be a on major gang communication corridor. One day the welfare office I live next to had, in five feet letters, spray painted "COME TO KILL ZONE" I'm friends with the homeless woman and her partner that live in the empty lot next door. Hardly the "glamorous portions of the city."

Have I ever felt unsafe? Nope. Have I ever seen anything that would make me feel unsafe? No.

Have I ever heard douchebags try to concern-troll about the "horrible parts of the city" while not having any fucking clue what they were talking about? HELL YES.

Also your dumb homophobic crack is soooo fucking funny.

Zyzyxxz

Le Adelita Tortelleria is on that corner! That's where I use to buy my masa dough and banana leaves from!

Funny how its a few blocks from convention center and how quickly the appearance goes to ghetto, not that it's a bad area just a lower income bracket.

whether la is safe or unsafe or whatever is cool and all, but how bout we post more fun/neat/unique things to do/see around here?

I'd like to be the first to mention the Magic Castle in Hollywood
Qf6fy.jpg

A couple years ago, someone surprised me with a membership, and it totally knocked my socks off. They have three theaters throughout the mansion, each of which showcasing a different style of magic, with performers rotating on a weekly basis. They have a strict dress code, so dressing up is mandatory, but I relish any opportunity to dress up so that's a plus for me. The food here sucks, but you're not going for the food anyway. If you ever get the chance to go, go early and explore all the neat hidden and not so hidden gags in the mansion.

Admittedly, it is a bit cheesy, but definitely worth a visit.

Fuck you man, you have no idea what and where I've seen in this town.

I lived immediately adjacent to skid row for 2 years. My wife currently works IN skid row. I drive through it every single day. My sister in law lives in East LA. I've spent a huge amount of time in the poorer areas of Pico-Union, where my wife lived her whole life. I currently live in Lincoln Heights, and the 18th Street gang tags up my garage door every couple months, cause my residence happens to be a on major gang communication corridor. One day the welfare office I live next to had, in five feet letters, spray painted "COME TO KILL ZONE" I'm friends with the homeless woman and her partner that live in the empty lot next door. Hardly the "glamorous portions of the city."

Have I ever felt unsafe? Nope. Have I ever seen anything that would make me feel unsafe? No.

Have I ever heard douchebags try to concern-troll about the "horrible parts of the city" while not having any fucking clue what they were talking about? HELL YES.

Also your dumb homophobic crack is soooo fucking funny.
Your experiences in la doesn't matter. Its irrelevant. You could've grown up in the palisades or the slums of south cebtral. Facts are that there are gangbangs, homeless and graffitis in la.

And please. I do know my la very well. Grew up in echo park while it was still a gang infested area while staying clear of gangs like 18th St and head hunters.

You want to throw your ghetto hardships in la? I can too. We can do this all night.

Your experiences in la doesn't matter. Its irrelevant. You could've grown up in the palisades or the slums of south cebtral. Facts are that there are gangbangs, homeless and graffitis in la.

And please. I do know my la very well. Grew up in echo park while it was still a gang infested area while staying clear of gangs like 18th St and head hunters.

You want to throw your ghetto hardships in la? I can too. We can do this all night.

Listen, I get you, and yeah, growing up in Echo park back then must have been pretty fucked. LA these days is pretty far removed from how it was even 10-20 years, though, and my experience is largely colored by the amount those areas have improved from where it was.

My main beef was OC guy being insane. What he said and how he worded it was way out of line with the reality of life in Los Angeles today. "LA is like New York was in the 70s." is a pretty specific and WRONG sense of what LA is right now.

FStop7

Banned
Let's be honest, LA is a shit hole with small pockets of decent city life. If you want a good experience in LA, you basically have to stick to your box: never go east of the 405, never go north of the 101.

Problem is that box is the most expensive and most crowded part of the city. There's a reason you never meet LA natives: they were smart enough to get the hell out when they had the chance.

Let's be honest, your perception of LA is straight out of 20+ year old movies.

Also, your "box" makes no sense. It excludes Beverly Hills, Mid-Wilshire, Miracle Mile, Bel-Air, Westwood, Burbank, etc.

Is LA like Miami, where you're pretty much constantly surrounded by the ghetto no matter where you go?

No. I lived in Miami and Ft. Laud for a long time. I find LA to be less risky when it comes to making a wrong turn.

The worst part about LA is the devastating, will sapping traffic. It drains you of your desire to live. I mean... wow. It's awful. The only US city I've experienced worse traffic in is Manhattan during rush hour with heavy rain.

Listen, I get you, and yeah, growing up in Echo park back then must have been pretty fucked. LA these days is pretty far removed from how it was even 10-20 years, though.

My main beef was OC guy being insane.
I'm oc Guy too man. :/
Now let's have an la Gaf meet, lets hug it out, take pic of us throwing gang signs and show it to Gaf.

Our enemies aren't la or oc Gaf, the real enemy is Least coast Gaf

Puddles

Banned
As a kid, my family was literally the only white family on our block. Now I go out with my dog, throw a tennis ball, and I end up hitting a whitey.

ffs. echo park comes in as the first hit on google. :(
ubPAi.jpg

i thought i'd never see the day i'd see white people walking the streets of echo park.

Eh it sort of varies, closer to the park it gets browner real quick. The really gentrified area is around Alvarado and Sunset, and toward the north east, into the hills. and up Glendale Blvd up into Silverlake.

If anyone in Echo Park/Silverlake wants to meet up for a beer at the Red Lion, I'd be down.

im down. just let me know.
i'd prefer to meet on weekends though. :/
also something to consider.
lotus festival in echo park this year. i think its in july.
asian pacific food, dance, music, and makeshift shops.

I didn't say ALL of L.A. was like that but I would say a good amount of it is. Unless you sit at home high all day or live in a nice area your probably not even aware of the reality around you. Or you could just be downplaying the negatives of the city you obviously love which I can understand.

I was (briefly) in L.A. this past summer and it looked like the same damn shithole I used to go to every now and then as a kid. I'm sure if I take a quick glance at latimes.com or look up some statistics I will see that crime rates are just as high as they used to be over there.

FStop7

Banned
I didn't say ALL of L.A. was like that but I would say a good amount of it is. Unless you sit at home high all day or live in a nice area your probably not even aware of the reality around you. Or you could just be downplaying the negatives of the city you obviously love which I can understand.

I was (briefly) in L.A. this past summer and it looked like the same damn shithole I used to go to every now and then as a kid. I'm sure if I take a quick glance at latimes.com or look up some statistics I will see that crime rates are just as high as they used to be over there.

herp derp

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/18/local/la-me-compton-crime-20110118

its cool brah. i defended your honor.
and he made some valid points.

This is probably a stupid question, but: how safe or unsafe is it to wear red or blue in LA?
its fine.
doing it while throwing gang signs in some shady neighborhoods?
different story. you pretty much have to go out of your way to find trouble.

This is from 2009, BUT:

"Los Angeles has seen the citywide per capita crime rate decrease to its lowest level since 1954, and the total number of homicides fall to a 40-year low."

http://mayor.lacity.org/Issues/PublicSafety/Police/index.htm

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

So your briefly being in LA over the summer just overrides all of the people in the thread who live here saying it's not like that?

Top Bottom