• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

If anyone in Echo Park/Silverlake wants to meet up for a beer at the Red Lion, I'd be down.

Why not The Thirsty Crow? Lets. Get some love for whisky.

Also I apprently live in a very hipster area. Los Feliz, just east of silverlake. Its a super nice area though. Love it here. 6.50$ matinee at the two theaters down the block from me.

FStop7

Banned
So what are the internet and TV options in west LA? Time Warner? U-Verse? FIOS?

It depends. I lived in Mid-Wilshire and I could get 6meg DSL or Time Warner cable. My landlord lived one block east and he could get U-Verse.

Kintaco

I may be a bit late with it, but FUCK THE 3rd STREET KING TACO! They are the stingiest and most crowded piece of shit King Taco. Go to any other one, you'll most likely get better portions! Speaking of which I just had some King Taco tonight, but from the one in East L.A. on Olympic and Downey! Boo Yah bitches. It was delicious!

Zyzyxxz

D'oh. I was hoping for glorious consumer choice. TWC's prices kinda suck too.

Hah good luck ever since the government deregulated Cable and companies were allow to section off and claim territories Cable prices skyrocketed which also severely limited cable internet options in the longrun.

I have Charter and I'm happy with my 20mb download but wish my 4mb upload was higher which I pay $45 a month for, pricey but what can I say I share with my two other brothers who are heavy users as well.

If you are stuck with TWC I am so sorry to hear that, my condolences. See what AT&T offers you since they are preferable to Charter but you may be fucked and live in a shitty zone where they can only offer you 1.5mb internet speed.

Hah good luck ever since the government deregulated Cable and companies were allow to section off and claim territories Cable prices skyrocketed which also severely limited cable internet options in the longrun.

I have Charter and I'm happy with my 20mb download but wish my 4mb upload was higher which I pay $45 a month for, pricey but what can I say I share with my two other brothers who are heavy users as well.

If you are stuck with TWC I am so sorry to hear that, my condolences. See what AT&T offers you since they are preferable to Charter but you may be fucked and live in a shitty zone where they can only offer you 1.5mb internet speed.

I have TWC its expensive but fast.

i got AT&T Uverse and i'm paying 85 bucks for 20 meg download speed internet and the U200 channels. i didn't think it was bad because i was paying 80 with Time Warner Cable and they only offered 10 meg download

it's definitely better than Time Warner Cable. even though i lived a block away from one of their offices i was getting crappy internet speed. not sure what's up with that

beat

i got AT&T Uverse and i'm paying 85 bucks for 20 meg download speed internet and the U200 channels. i didn't think it was bad because i was paying 80 with Time Warner Cable and they only offered 10 meg download
AT&T offers Uverse internet but not TV (or voice) for the address I'm looking at, and it maxes out at 18 mb/s. I guess it's TWC for me then. =(

it's definitely better than Time Warner Cable. even though i lived a block away from one of their offices i was getting crappy internet speed. not sure what's up with that

Really? I just ran a couple speed tests. I got 19 down and 7.5 up and a ping of 18 which is amazing. At least compared to the shitty ping I used to have back east with comcast. Its pretty fast here for me. I hate my DVR and Guide but my TWC internet and TV service has been great but a bit pricey.

Really? I just ran a couple speed tests. I got 19 down and 7.5 up and a ping of 18 which is amazing. At least compared to the shitty ping I used to have back east with comcast. Its pretty fast here for me. I hate my DVR and Guide but my TWC internet and TV service has been great but a bit pricey.

i've always had weird issues with internet in general. i guess i got bad luck. AT&T seems like the best internet i've had in LA

I've got ATT u-verse internet 6 mbit down/1 mbit up for $40 a month, ping is always solid and they haven't started their bandwidth capping yet.

Jharp

If we're including Los Angeles county, rather than just the city, the greatest restaurant in the area, and indeed, the world, is in Bellflower on the corner of Sommerset and Bellflower blvd. It's called Pupu Y Seria (probably incorrect spelling), it's a tiny Salvadoran restaurant built into the side of a car wash, and it's run by an old Salvadoran gentleman that loves Jesus, makes amazing food in his tiny kitchen that's probably no bigger than your own, and will not make you pay until you eat the food and enjoy it.

If you live near the South/East part of LA county, do yourself a favor and go there.

As for myself, I live in La Mirada, a tiny suburb just south of Whittier, that shares a border with Buena Park in Orange County. I work in Orange and San Diego counties and don't visit the heart of Los Angeles too often anymore.

Jharp

I can picture that.

I only bring it up because as regulars of the place, me and bros often love to eat there and smoke, and he always comes out and hangs out with us a bit telling us about his troubled youth and how all he did was drink and smoke but then found Jesus.

Oddly enough he never comes off as preachy. He's just a big fat loving dude and gives it all up Christ, which as someone who was raised in the church and Christian schooling for a decade and a half, I can respect. He's a great guy.

JEKKI

another brag post!!!

BTc1p.jpg

aGuIo.jpg

Carney's!! hella good hot dogs!!

the menu isnt as diverse as Pink's is, but the food is way better and u dont gotta wait in line for an hour!

NoRéN

I may be a bit late with it, but FUCK THE 3rd STREET KING TACO! They are the stingiest and most crowded piece of shit King Taco. Go to any other one, you'll most likely get better portions! Speaking of which I just had some King Taco tonight, but from the one in East L.A. on Olympic and Downey! Boo Yah bitches. It was delicious!

They definitely are extra stingy there. I try to go to the one you mentioned instead and my girlfriend and I order separately to get more salsa.

Nekobo

I love rainy days...just not driving in them. +10 - 20 minutes to dat commute. Drive safely, friends. :)

How many LA GAF are Theater GAF as well?

Sometimes I watch plays at East West Players in Little Tokyo. The last play I watched was Blood Wedding at Odyssey Theatre in LA.

Also, Carney's is the shit. I need to go back again soon.

ey I posted in the tattoo thread but never got a response.....anyone know of a good tattoo artist in the LA area? My fiance and I are gonna be there in June and wanted to go get some ink together.

bluemax

Banned
So what are the internet and TV options in west LA? Time Warner? U-Verse? FIOS?

Depends. I have DirecTV for TV and Verizon DSL. I know Fios is somewhat available but it depends upon your building.

Time Warner seems to have a pretty big choke hold on the area.

Phthisis

Let's be honest, your perception of LA is straight out of 20+ year old movies.

Also, your "box" makes no sense. It excludes Beverly Hills, Mid-Wilshire, Miracle Mile, Bel-Air, Westwood, Burbank, etc.

I was born in LA and have lived here for 26 years. I think I know what I'm talking about.

For the rest who live/are going to live in Culver City: that's where I live. Probably the best area in LA that's left. Downtown Culver is awesome. I'm going to hold on tight to the Culver area until I leave the state completely.

Also, as far as the Bay Cities sandwich thing, I personally think that the sandwiches from the Larchmont deli are better.

I was born in LA and have lived here for 26 years. I think I know what I'm talking about.

For the rest who live/are going to live in Culver City: that's where I live. Probably the best area in LA that's left. Downtown Culver is awesome. I'm going to hold on tight to the Culver area until I leave the state completely.

Also, as far as the Bay Cities sandwich thing, I personally think that the sandwiches from the Larchmont deli are better.

Bitter? I fuckin love it here. LA is great. The Los Feliz area is amazing to live, safe fun and has so much to do. Maybe you need a change of scenery. I was born and raised in NY and I have no intention of going back anytime soon even though I love it there as well. LA is a great City.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've lived here for 13+ years now.

I love the weather, the ocean, and "da women."

Outside of that, I loathe almost everything else about it (this is a bit of an exaggeration on my part).

Well, I do love the diversity of people and food, also.

I don't like the attitude problem most of the residents here seem to have, and, ironically, most of that attitude isn't even from native born Angelinos, but from people transplanting from other states with delusions of grandeur and becoming the next "hot thing."

Overall though, I really do enjoy this place. I was born in Los Angeles, but raised in Wisconsin. Moved to LA when I was 19, and haven't looked back. I'll take this smoggy, stuck up, traffic congested city over Milwaukee, WI any day. Although I do miss my family back there.

I also don't drive anymore, which has been an amazing weight off of my shoulders. I hop on one bus to get to and from work, and I save a crap load of money on gas. Everything else I need to get to is either a walk or a bus ride away.

I don't miss the snow of the midwest, and rain like today doesn't bother me at all, although I do wish I was at home, instead of in the office, curled up under a blanket and reading a good book, or cuddling the missus.

I have a love/hate relationship with LA, but I think that can go for most cities where you've spent a large portion of your life.

Zyzyxxz

Jealous, wish I lived in Culver City but most likely will be looking into a loft though in Downtown area in a few years.

Phthisis

Jealous, wish I lived in Culver City but most likely will be looking into a loft though in Downtown area in a few years.

A couple of my coworkers live in lofts downtown. One of them swears by it, but the other gave it up and moved back to the west side.

I do like the newer nice parts of downtown, but once you get two or three blocks away from LA Live, it goes back to scumville.

d0c_zaius

So the Tim and Eric movie is going to be at the Nuart theater super close to where I live. The movie is on March 3 in case anyone is interested in planning a meet up.

on an unrelated note, my place to drink is the Daily Pint on pico.

Sobriquet

I've been in a loft for a little over five years. It's great, but there's a lot of compromise. I suppose it depends on how industrial it is. Mine started out pretty barebones.

Zyzyxxz

A couple of my coworkers live in lofts downtown. One of them swears by it, but the other gave it up and moved back to the west side.

I do like the newer nice parts of downtown, but once you get two or three blocks away from LA Live, it goes back to scumville.

Yeah I do realize there are ups and downs about it but one of the main reasons I would want to do it is because I am 20 minutes from the SGV which is where I live right now and all my friends and family are here but I would be able put some distance for when I need it most of the time and get away from the "Asian-ifcation" of this area (namely lack of non-Asian restaurants and crappy Japanese) while being closer to Santa Monica and Culver City.

I feel weird cause I don't really go to bars, if I want a drink I just go to the marie callender's that like 5 mins from my house.

cool....you had stuff done there before? Are they crazy expensive or anything?

i don't have any tattoos personally, but my sister is a fairly well decorated tattoo artist (in Austin), and she spent a good 6 years at AE tattoo. Those dudes are like my bros, and bias aside they really do some legit work. Craig is the owner of the shop, so his rates are higher, but everyone else in there is hand picked by him, they are all talented and fairly priced.

NoRéN

I feel weird cause I don't really go to bars, if I want a drink I just go to the marie callender's that like 5 mins from my house.
I don't frequent bars either. Some thing about a couple of beers costing about as much as a good six or twelve pack that I don't like.

But, going out to drink with people can be very fun.

PG2G

If you could choose to live anywhere in LA or Ventura counties to live, where would it be and why?

I'd stick to my current area, which is Culver City-ish. The area itself isn't too crowded, its relatively affordable, increasingly diverse, and is located well enough that you can get most places pretty quickly (Torrance/Gardena for Korean and Japanese food, Hollywood and Mid City without having to take a freeway, Beach is just a few miles away).

I'd love to live in the mid city area (almost bought a condo across from LACMA) because there is amazing food all over the place but damn... I can go visit a place with crap parking, I can't live in one.

Also, I would never ever ever ever consider living in Malibu. That shit is so far away from everything.

Top Bottom