• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

hi I really wanna go to this place lol:

http://librarybarla.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/library-bar-los-angeles

I jus heard about it, apparently their burgers is da bombz.

I kno there's already an AYCE gathering going on, but Im busy that weekend,

but if ppl wanna go and get together here one evening for burgers and alcohol that'd be dope too!!

otherwise I'll ask my other friends too lol

I've been there lots of times. It's got a cool look and the marrow bones/pork belly sliders are great. Make sure you go early and snag an area for yourself and your friends because it fills up quick, and it's not the biggest bar.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

but if ppl wanna go and get together here one evening for burgers and alcohol that'd be dope too!!

All the waitresses dress up like sexy librarians, too. It's basically the best place on earth.

If the KBBQ meetup goes well I'll be up for hanging out randomly especially if it's somewhere downtown cause I don't live that far.

If the KBBQ meetup goes well I'll be up for hanging out randomly especially if it's somewhere downtown cause I don't live that far.

DT is such a clusterfuck after 10 P.M. on Saturday night, though. I guess there's always paid parking, but still...

Have you been to 7 Grand before, clearacell?

DT is such a clusterfuck after 10 P.M. on Saturday night, though. I guess there's always paid parking, but still...

Have you been to 7 Grand before, clearacell?

Naw, my bar hangouts haven't been in downtown cause I really haven't had people to go there with, which is why I'm up for hanging out with GAF people at those places. I do Karaoke Bleu (love this place) , CB after dark, Hip Kitty...yeah I'm kind of all over cause the people I know are all over as well.

Yeah I do the paid parking thing in that big parking lot on grand and 7th cause it's near that famima I frequent

Naw, my bar hangouts haven't been in downtown cause I really haven't had people to go there with, which is why I'm up for hanging out with GAF people at those places. I do Karaoke Bleu (love this place) , CB after dark, Hip Kitty...yeah I'm kind of all over cause the people I know are all over as well.

Well, 7 Grand would be a sweet spot to hit. They have pool tables and tiny deer skulls all over the place. Great scotch too, though, I usually stick to the draft there. But, if everyone's poor after BBQ maybe HMS Bounty is the only place? ;) Or Hook! That would be too funny.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Welp I am heading out to the great west Coast April 20th to the 2 of May... Working from San Fran all the way down to San Diego and stopping in LA for a while!! please help with what I need to do and eat while out there.. if anyone is out in the area that time, maybe you can show me some cool places.. there will be some other people with me that will be fun.. thanks!

Beach house in Malibu (self explanatory) or mansion in San Marino (large lots, good schools, near asian food)

Having worked for 2 years in Malibu, I'd never live there. Smell of shit (septic tanks everywhere because no sewage system), and if there is an accident on PCH, you are fucking stuck for HOURS. No thank you!

Santa Monica is much better than Malibu IMO.

Well, 7 Grand would be a sweet spot to hit. They have pool tables and tiny deer skulls all over the place. Great scotch too, though, I usually stick to the draft there. But, if everyone's poor after BBQ maybe HMS Bounty is the only place? ;) Or Hook! That would be too funny.

7 Grand is awesome. Having a line to get in is not though. Feels like I'm trying to get in a club whenever I go.

For those of you who are closer to the 909, a nice spot to get some all you can eat sushi for a good price and karaoke is Sushi Cruise in Claremont. It's rather close to the Claremont Colleges, so there's always a good turnout and the staff are awesome.

Zyzyxxz

Yes 7 Grand is a great bar but too bad they had to open up Mas Malo downstairs kind of makes the places more hipster/douchey now in a way.

I'd be down later in the future after this KBBQ meet.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Will anyone still want to live in downtown once the Expo line to the westside is up and running? I think the downtown to Culver City stretch is going to be open within the next six months. Something to think about.

Sobriquet

Will anyone still want to live in downtown once the Expo line to the westside is up and running? I think the downtown to Culver City stretch is going to be open within the next six months. Something to think about.

Yes. I live on the east side because I prefer the east side.

Zyzyxxz

My dream is still to see it reach the beach but Beverly Hills needs to have it's say.

I could see myself living in Culver City too it's a nice neighborhood with great restaurants and quiet while being convenient to everywhere in LA.

And how long will the stretch to the sea take to get open, eh? :p

RedAssedApe

Banned
And how long will the stretch to the sea take to get open, eh? :p

Pretty much being held up by Beverly Hills. Who knows how long it will take. The Downtown to CC phase was supposed to be open a year ago IIRC. I live in Palms so I'm content with just having the Expo hitting Culver City. :)

Zyzyxxz

I'm guilty of this. I live a few miles from Venice Beach and I go maybe like once a year if even that.

Venice Beach is so douchey/hipster/touristy/crowded anyway.

I prefer my isolated Corona Del Mar where parking is easy and not a mile from the water.

I been there a few times. Cool place. My friends are big on the DTLA bar scene. I go with them occasionally. But bars aren't really my thing.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Venice Beach is so douchey/hipster/touristy/crowded anyway.

I prefer my isolated Corona Del Mar where parking is easy and not a mile from the water.

It's not the prettiest beach and surrounding area on the planet, but I really like Venice. Just something about the vibe.

Though El Matador may be my favorite place, beach wise. Just wish there weren't so many people there 24/7.

It also helps that I have friends down there in Venice that I always party/stay with with ample amounts of parking.

Zyzyxxz

It's not the prettiest beach and surrounding area on the planet, but I really like Venice. Just something about the vibe.

Though El Matador may be my favorite place, beach wise. Just wish there weren't so many people there 24/7.

It also helps that I have friends down there in Venice that I always party/stay with with ample amounts of parking.

Yeah nothing beats the vibe of Venice Beach.

Zyzyxxz

The Santa Anita Food Truck Festival is this Saturday. If any Gaffers are planning on going, feel free to drop by The Slummin' Gourmet and say hi. Or not, and just watch creepily from afar.

Hah are you guys going to be busy? I remember those events are hell and if you aren't ready be prepared to get your ass handed to you.

Last one I did was Anahemi Food Fest and that was fucking nuts.

I don't know if I can make it as I'll be at the Costa Mesa gun show but good luck on your sales! I'd offer a helping hand if you need it but I may be busy after I get back.

*edit*

I see on your schedule you guys plan to be somewhere else for dinner, you guys are nuts for working that much unless you have a second crew. Definintely do not miss those days.

Hah are you guys going to be busy? I remember those events are hell and if you aren't ready be prepared to get your ass handed to you.

Last one I did was Anahemi Food Fest and that was fucking nuts.

I don't know if I can make it as I'll be at the Costa Mesa gun show but good luck on your sales! I'd offer a helping hand if you need it but I may be busy after I get back.

*edit*

I see on your schedule you guys plan to be somewhere else for dinner, you guys are nuts for working that much unless you have a second crew. Definintely do not miss those days.

Haha I think my chef is fucking nuts for wanting to do an event afterwards. We're spending all day Friday doing prep for both sessions. And I haven't heard anything about a second crew yet so I pretty much expecting to be dead by the end of the day. It's going to be crazy.

The Santa Anita Food Truck Festival is this Saturday. If any Gaffers are planning on going, feel free to drop by The Slummin' Gourmet and say hi. Or not, and just watch creepily from afar.

oh man, that's going to be one long day for you my friend.

I opted out of this round of Santa Anita madness, I feel that people are sort of over paying to park, paying to get in, then standing in line for an hour to pay for food. Paired with the high cost of admission for trucks, it's really turned me off.

The last Santa Anita GFT fest was a bust, a lot of my colleagues packed up and left halfway through the event for lack of business (I'm talking Grilled cheese/Grill 'em all).

It should be a beautiful day out, so that will def. help. If anything, try to have a plan b lined up in case the event tanks.

EDIT: looks like your chef already knows what's up

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Some friends and I are deciding between Los Angeles and the Austin/San Antonio area for spring break. We kind of live smack dab in the middle, Hell Paso Texas.

What would you guys say? We'd probably be there 4 days, not including the 2 driving days.

Keep in mind that half of us are still under 21 so our drinking will be confined to the hotel....

Some friends and I are deciding between Los Angeles and the Austin/San Antonio area for spring break. We kind of live smack dab in the middle, Hell Paso Texas.

What would you guys say? We'd probably be there 4 days, not including the 2 driving days.

Keep in mind that half of us are still under 21 so our drinking will be confined to the hotel....

Not worth it. Wait til your 21 so you can take a trip where Vegas is involved on the way to/from L.A.

Sobriquet

Austin. SXSW is during spring break. LA kinda sucks if you're not of age.

Top Bottom