• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Puddles

Banned
Went to Yang Chow today and got the slippery shrimp. That was pretty amazing. The kung pao chicken was also excellent.

d0c_zaius

Went to Yang Chow today and got the slippery shrimp. That was pretty amazing. The kung pao chicken was also excellent.

/jealous!

If anyone is looking for Soul Calibur V, its around the areas.

Had roscoes today at 9am with a group of work buddies. No better way to start a friday. Sorry for the blurry pic!

418764_347191485299308_100000253773284_1276847_1921123363_n.jpg

Phthisis

How are the females in LA?

Most of them move here to "make it" and wind up waitressing/stripping/bartending. Most of them are self-absorbed and into the Hollywood lifestyle. They live to be seen and be the center of attention. Most of them are trying to climb the social ladder to achieve their goals.

You can find diamonds in the rough, though.

Most of them move here to "make it" and wind up waitressing/stripping/bartending. Most of them are self-absorbed and into the Hollywood lifestyle. They live to be seen and be the center of attention. Most of them are trying to climb the social ladder to achieve their goals.

You can find diamonds in the rough, though.

Most? Really, you think most of the female population in this fine city fit that criteria?

Why you gotta exaggerate so hard?

Most? Really, you think most of the female population in this fine city fit that criteria?

Why you gotta exaggerate so hard?

To be honest I've never met a single female that fit his description. The people born and raised here (the people that I know) are just as relaxed, California types (duh). Maybe I need to find more people that come here from out of town or something.

Sobriquet

To be honest I've never met a single female that fit his description. The people born and raised here (the people that I know) are just as relaxed, California types (duh). Maybe I need to find more people that come here from out of town or something.

Most of my friends are not from here. That type is a rarity.

One might infer that his idea of LA women is a "birds of a feather" type of situation. #lowkeyshade

FStop7

Banned
Anyone ever spend time in the area of Channel Islands Harbor and Hollywood Beach?

I've found some beach houses for rent that are really well priced. I'm starting a new job in Newbury Park and it would be a 25 mile drive, pretty easy without much traffic to worry about.

I know Oxnard and Port Hueneme don't have the best reputation but I checked the crime stats for the Channel Islands area in specific and the numbers look fine to me. I guess the only downside is that it's far away from metro LA if you're addicted to the place. But if I could literally roll out of bed and land on the beach every morning of the week then I'm willing to deal with that. I'm just curious what it's really like to live there, though.

Laekon

Anyone ever spend time in the area of Channel Islands Harbor and Hollywood Beach?

I've found some beach houses for rent that are really well priced. I'm starting a new job in Newbury Park and it would be a 25 mile drive, pretty easy without much traffic to worry about.

I know Oxnard and Port Hueneme don't have the best reputation but I checked the crime stats for the Channel Islands area in specific and the numbers look fine to me. I guess the only downside is that it's far away from metro LA if you're addicted to the place. But if I could literally roll out of bed and land on the beach every morning of the week then I'm willing to deal with that. I'm just curious what it's really like to live there, though.

If you are young and single Ventura would be the place to live. The drive will suck though. The Port and Oxnard beach area are just really weird. Driving up Petrero instead of the 101 is a lot easier. Living in Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, etc is good if you are into cycling or running. Apartments are over priced because of Amgen and Bank of America people. You could also live in the Valley.

UWTB

Neo Member
If you’re looking for a good wing spot, I’d recommend the Ye Rustic Inn in the Los Feliz area. For a really great taco dish, I always return to Don Zarape, which is in the valley.

There's nothing wrong with dogtown, I'm just being a low-key hater. But i'm positive our dogs are better, and our mascot is way cooler.

We'll be making our way to Santa Monica regularly come mid-Feb. We're in the Valley a lot; we're based off an old hot dog stand that was in Sherman Oaks for like 35 years, so we do really well in those neck of the woods. Lately I've been getting a decent amount of requests on our website for us to visit Culver City/Santa Monica so I'll keep you guys updated and maybe you pencil in some face time with my Wien. Har.

Finally got back to this thread. Haha, so that's your truck I've seen parked? I've seen it parked late at night (not in operation) the same place a lot (which I won't disclose on here) which I always assumed was next to the owner's house. I was curious about it after seeing it quite a few times.

Funny happening to come across one of the owners on GAF!

Well, now I must find time to try a fellow gaffer's wiener.

terrible and obvious joke, i know :(

So what's the most popular dog and/or your fave I should go with (no veggie/turkey though). I will definitely stop by and grab a couple dogs to support a fellow gaffer.

puddles said:

another convert!

That shit people in LA say youtube was pretty good. And we are all guilty.

Jzero

Finally got back to this thread. Haha, so that's your truck I've seen parked? I've seen it parked late at night (not in operation) the same place a lot (which I won't disclose on here) which I always assumed was next to the owner's house. I was curious about it after seeing it quite a few times.

Funny happening to come across one of the owners on GAF!

Well, now I must find time to try a fellow gaffer's wiener.

terrible and obvious joke, i know :(

So what's the most popular dog and/or your fave I should go with (no veggie/turkey though). I will definitely stop by and grab a couple dogs to support a fellow gaffer.

Haha, word. You probably saw us parked in my partners hood, we post up there for relaxing between shifts.

Our most popular dogs in order are probably the classic chili cheese dog, our "stray dog" (bacon wrapped with grilled onions/poblano peppers, crema mexicana, cotija cheese, and jalapenos. my fave) and the 'gunslinger' (bacon, onion rings, bbq sauce, and cheddar cheese)

Please do stop by sometime, its always a neat when a fellow gaffer stops by!

I was all ready to make that joke.

Thanks a lot, Mamba.

If its any consolation, i've pretty much already heard every variation on the wiener jokes possible.

As an added truck-related bonus: i had a nightmarish experience driving the truck back from service tonight. it was incredibly windy in the valley tonight, and as i was coming up the 5, struggling to keep the beast in line, i had a tire blow out fierce and nearly lost control over the damn thing. I managed to keep her steady till the nearest offramp, where i found myself alone, after 11pm on a lonely stretch of San Fernando in Sun Valley. NOT DOWN.

Jzero

Haha, word. You probably saw us parked in my partners hood, we post up there for relaxing between shifts.

Our most popular dogs in order are probably the classic chili cheese dog, our "stray dog" (bacon wrapped with grilled onions/poblano peppers, crema mexicana, cotija cheese, and jalapenos. my fave) and the 'gunslinger' (bacon, onion rings, bbq sauce, and cheddar cheese)

If its any consolation, i've pretty much already heard every variation on the wiener jokes possible.

As an added truck-related bonus: i had a nightmarish experience driving the truck back from service tonight. it was incredibly windy in the valley tonight, and as i was coming up the 5, struggling to keep the beast in line, i had a tire blow out fierce and nearly lost control over the damn thing. I managed to keep her steady till the nearest offramp, where i found myself alone, after 11pm on a lonely stretch of San Fernando in Sun Valley. NOT DOWN.
Dude the gunslinger sounds freaken delicious :D....
btw you guys should add more pictured of the hot dogs on your site.

Good to know you're safe. H.Protagonist would have been sad to hear that she'll be the only member of Girl-gaf at the Korean BBQ meet up

That stray looked good on the website. Definitely going to grab that one. probably gunslinger too.

I will try sometime next week, probably on saturday lunch time or so. I haven't bought a really good non-chili dog in a long time, so I'm actually looking forward to it (never got around to dogtown).

Years ago I would drive those 15 passenger Ford vans. I was in Malibu taking something similar to a freeway on-ramp that is a circle and I hit a small puddle while going too fast and my back wheels completely gave out and the entire thing starting fishtailing (empty van, no weight) and I lost control mid-turn! One of a rare few times I thought I was going to die, but I somehow got it back just in time. Pulled over to catch my breath.

Losing control of vehicles that big is no joke! Glad your safe.

I don't know what Victorious is, but LA is what it is.

90ETQ.png

Sorry for 2nd post. Anyone catch Bourdain's layover on Los Angeles? It was okay (spent way too much time in the god dam hotel), but I was curious..he ate at Tacos Villa Corona in Atwater.

Anyone ever try that? http://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-villa-corona-los-angeles

I have never been, so am curious if anyone else can vouch for it.

LOL WTF. Can't believe Bourdain went there, its probably one of my favorite hole in the wall places to eat in LA and one of the true ma&pa places i've ever been too. I have family in the Atwater/Glendale area and, over the years, have eaten at that spot every time I visit. They have the best Breakfast Burritos i've ever had. The Spinach & Potato Burrito is my reccomendation. The nachos are really good too, but are hit or miss.

Word of advice though, its best to make sure you know their hours of business or call and ask if they are open. Ever since Atwater/Glendale became hip and how big they got on Yelp, they raised their prices and their business hours are somewhat random during the morning/day.

Man, I need to check out that episode. Last week, me and my buddy watched 3 of the episodes in one sitting. Entertaining show.

EDIT: Ooo thnx for the vid link.

Holy crap thank goodness you got out alright and your truck was in one piece.

I've had some crappy experiences with the Santa Ana's when I used to drive one of those cherry picker van's for telephone work. I remember one time I had to drive straight up the 15/215 into the El Cajon pass because I had to get to Hisperia to do some work, and the wind was blowing the hell out of the bucket part of the van and was actually dragging the back part each way sideways. One of the scarier times of my life.

I don't know what Victorious is, but LA is what it is.

90ETQ.png

LOL WTF. Can't believe Bourdain went there, its probably one of my favorite hole in the wall places to eat in LA and one of the true ma&pa places i've ever been too. I have family in the Atwater/Glendale area and, over the years, have eaten at that spot every time I visit. They have the best Breakfast Burritos i've ever had. The Spinach & Potato Burrito is my reccomendation. The nachos are really good too, but are hit or miss.

Word of advice though, its best to make sure you know their hours of business or call and ask if they are open. Ever since Atwater/Glendale became hip and how big they got on Yelp, they raised their prices and their business hours are somewhat random during the morning/day.

Man, I need to check out that episode. Last week, me and my buddy watched 3 of the episodes in one sitting. Entertaining show.

EDIT: Ooo thnx for the vid link.

Glendale is hip? Seems like the same boring town I've lived in most of my life aside from Americana.

Top Bottom