• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Just got back from Langer's, got another #19 of course, with a cream soda. Damn I love that place. Good to go once every month or so :D

When I was a kid, I'd place the cities that got mentioned in the evening weather report above the others. Glendale was never really specified until I was older

When I was a kid, I'd place the cities that got mentioned in the evening weather report above the others. Glendale was never really specified until I was older

I would get mad when it was ALWAYS the city right next to me that got mentioned in the weather report. Then the internet happened and it always turned out to be like a couple of degrees difference between cities.

Marn recommended Yang Chow! Specifically I need The Wien to come to 26th and Penn in Santa Monica. (aka food truck row)

You work @ SCE? I work right there too.

BTW, if Wien plans to come there, they will need a Santa Monica license apart from city license (She probably knows that already).

Zyzyxxz

Thanks. I'm just thankful it was my rear tire and not the front. Definitely got the daylights scared out of me!
Good to hear you made it out okay. I've had almost every possible bad thing happen to me while working the food truck except for a collision. If you rent an old truck shit will go down randomly lie once the key hole got loose and we couldn't start the truck. The mechanic took his sweet ass time getting back to us.

Laekon

Any recommendations for cool and affordable hotels in Santa Monica, Venice, or West Hollywood? Looking to spend a "special" weekend with my girl friend.

It's not LA but the other place I'm looking is Paso Robles if anyone has stayed someplace nice there.

FStop7

Banned
Any recommendations for cool and affordable hotels in Santa Monica, Venice, or West Hollywood? Looking to spend a "special" weekend with my girl friend.

It's not LA but the other place I'm looking is Paso Robles if anyone has stayed someplace nice there.

Paso Robles has lots of nice vineyards. Pretty romantic stuff if you're into wine and relaxation. It's a long way from there to LA, though.

How about splitting the difference and staying in Santa Barbara?

Laekon

Paso Robles has lots of nice vineyards. Pretty romantic stuff if you're into wine and relaxation. It's a long way from there to LA, though.

How about splitting the difference and staying in Santa Barbara?

We live in Thousand Oaks so we are a little closer to Paso. Plus I think there are a lot more vineyards to choose from there.

Hi from Bev Hills adjacent.

Also, best pizza = Hollywood Pies. Incredible.

l.jpg

What are your recommendations for good Mexican food? I've yet to find a place that is delicious and not just trendy.

This is farther from me than Masa, so is it worth the extra drive if I'm in the mood for Chicago-style?

I'd say so. So cheesy and the sauce is incredible. Just look at the reviews and pics on Yelp. I've tried a few other places around me and they don't come anywhere near matching this one.

JEKKI

What are your recommendations for good Mexican food? I've yet to find a place that is delicious and not just trendy.
time to brag again!!

but Tacos Leo... omg bomb azz Al Pastor mode with a slice of pineapple;

s7NyY.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-leo-los-angeles
http://www.streetgourmetla.com/2010/09/tacos-leola-brea-and-venice-tacos-al.html
http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2010/09/food_truck_taco_pastor.php

I only been there once btw... their lengua was terrible lol.

but I mean... go for the Al Pastor!

Zyzyxxz

time to brag again!!

but Tacos Leo... omg bomb azz Al Pastor mode with a slice of pineapple;

I only been there once btw... their lengua was terrible lol.

but I mean... go for the Al Pastor!

If you want good Lengua the taco truck by 7 Grand bar is good.

I've been meaning to try Leo but have never found a good enough reason to be in that area after 5PM.

Sobriquet

Well... that's a problem. The truth is that there are no good Mexican food places in LA. Plenty of adequate ones, though. Native Angelenos will claim that I'm wrong.

Zyzyxxz

Well... that's a problem. The truth is that there are no good Mexican food places in LA. Plenty of adequate ones, though. Native Angelenos will claim that I'm wrong.

This is a tough one because if you want regional it gets kind of who's mama cooks the best in a sort of way.

What kind of Mexican he is looking for is a better question to ask but there are many diamonds in the rough one just has to be adventurous to seek out and speaking Spanish preferably.

As a transplant from San Diego, I tend to agree.

EXCEPT, for Oaxacan food. One of the best ethnic food types you can get in LA.

Iceman

Hi from Bev Hills adjacent.

Also, best pizza = Hollywood Pies. Incredible.

l.jpg

I made the recommendation some pages back, but this place in Pasadena, bordering San Gabriel, is the one Mexican place that is constantly taking my money: El Super Burrito. Just west of the intersection of Colorado Blvd and Rosemead, on the north side of Colorado, shares a parking lot with Plummers.

Outdoor seating only. Cash only, but cheap. They do have a small bathroom/sink to wash your hands if you ask. They also have a little patch of dirt where they grow cacti and sugar cane, like a little piece of transplanted Mexico. I would recommend anything on their menu, but I especially love their tamales. You'll only hear about it from locals; a hidden gem.

Iceman

Anybody up for a Disneyland meetup sometime in the next couple months? I thought I might be going with my brother real soon, but that plan just fell apart. Otherwise, we could potentially set one up for the summer, when the new Cars ride opens.

pretty much this.

My experience has been places like Malo. Meh. Decent drinks but not so much the food.

On east coast there are tons of small Mexican places that have AYCE chips/salsa, cheap combination platters, etc, and the food is greasy and tasty. I realize this is an American version of mexican food. I have just been surprised to not find many places similar to that here. El Compadre in Hollywood is the closest I've found.

There's one near me on Fairfax that looks promising, but it's only open til 5, so I need to go out during lunch some time to give it a shot. Frank's Restaurant

d0c_zaius

pretty much this.

I wouldn't agree with game analyst. He claimed the same thing (outside of GAF) and it took maybe 5 minutes to find a good mexican place less than 5 minutes away.

I can see why Oaxacan isn't for everyone. But it is one my absolute favorite food types in LA. I love Juquila on Santa Monica and Federal. Their mole negro is soooo good.

pretty much this ^.

I get the Juquila burrito with mole on the side.

I'll be taking Game Analyst to Juquila this week and then he will be amending his quote.

Outdoor seating only. Cash only, but cheap. They do have a small bathroom/sink to wash your hands if you ask. They also have a little patch of dirt where they grow cacti and sugar cane, like a little piece of transplanted Mexico. I would recommend anything on their menu, but I especially love their tamales. You'll only hear about it from locals; a hidden gem.

I am always on the lookout for good tamales. I will have to try this place out, but damn do I hate driving over to Pasadena.

Mifune

Mehmber
My favorite Mexican place is La Cabanita up in Montrose. Really good mole in that joint.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-cabanita-glendale

Also tried a kick-ass fish taco place in East LA over the weekend. Fish Taco Express!
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fish-taco-express-east-los-angeles

And that douche Bourdain has outed my favorite weekend breakfast burrito spot, Tacos Villa Corona! No, he's not a douche, I'm happy that this awesome place will get more business, but now they'll run out of ingredients and close even earlier!

Zhengi

I made the recommendation some pages back, but this place in Pasadena, bordering San Gabriel, is the one Mexican place that is constantly taking my money: El Super Burrito. Just west of the intersection of Colorado Blvd and Rosemead, on the north side of Colorado, shares a parking lot with Plummers.

Nice, thanks for the recommendation. It's close to my place and I'll have to check it out. :)

You know, I have you guys to thank for introducing me to such good food.

My wallet cries.

I spend way too much on food. How can you not when there's so much to try??

On a side note, Musha in Santa Monica is godly. Best Japanese food ever. Yyou feel transported to Japan as soon as you step in the place. Better make reservations if you go though; it's a small place that's always busy.

Zyzyxxz

I spend way too much on food. How can you not when there's so much to try??

On a side note, Musha in Santa Monica is godly. Best Japanese food ever. Yyou feel transported to Japan as soon as you step in the place. Better make reservations if you go though; it's a small place that's always busy.

Always wanted to try it but they also got branches in Torrance and just recently Pasadena which is close to me!

PG2G

Went to Musha once and wasn't really a huge fan. Much prefer a more traditional izakaya kind of menu, like at Honda Ya.

Top Bottom