• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Jzero

Have any of you gone to Mount Wilson Observatory? I'm gonna go in May and see through their 60 Inch telescope. So exited :)

Have any of you gone to Mount Wilson Observatory? I'm gonna go in May and see through their 60 Inch telescope. So exited :)

Never been in the observatory, but have driven up by there a couple times. Some really nice hikes to take up around there, and great views of the basin. And occasional snow.

Be sure to share all the details :D Especially if they actually let you view through that telescope and what they allow you to see. Also if the light pollution still gets in your way up there.

I probably looked like the most bitter person in LA as I walked through the wind today. Easily my least favorite thing to be exposed to. I'd rather walk through hail.

Sobriquet

So... no GAFers came to my art festival today or yesterday, at least no one that identified themselves. Oh well, maybe next time. :(

I worked at the observatory on Anchorman, so I was there for a few days. I never got to look through the scope, but it's definitely worth a visit.

TheTowel

Was invited but couldn't face that much alcohol after a night of drinking with the coworkers. Was it good? The number of beers available was daunting to say the least.

Officially the event was canceled due to permits being pulled by the city. Bars and restaurants still participated in a way. Just had to buy the beer and food rather than pays the $55 up front.

There were a lot of people, a lot of teams, and a lot of drinking. That is what I can say.

pMKV2.jpg

Nice.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wait...this was moved out of OT community? Why?

Edit: Or...into it? Whaaaaa

Toronto suffers the same fate, as will most city threads I would guess. It's a shame, because city threads rely heavily on new members finding the threads.

kr2t0s

Does anyone have an idiot's guide to getting to the hollywood sign? I've tried a few times and just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks - would love to walk up to it one of these days

quaere

Does anyone have an idiot's guide to getting to the hollywood sign? I've tried a few times and just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks - would love to walk up to it one of these days
You've been to the trail that takes you just above it right? Just go left instead of up at one of the forks and you should be able to approach from directly under. Be prepared to be yelled at/ticketed by cops though - saw it happen to a group of fence jumpers when I was there.

Nakedsushi already did in the IronGaf thread.

Doh! I need to check that thread out ;_; Maybe she'll go again so I won't be there alone lol

edit: will go for a run and take pics...I literally live a 5 minute drive from there :p

2nd edit: just realized going for a run meant me going in sweaty...forget that :p I will take pics of the exterior though! Maybe that'll entice other people.

Its inside the lincoln plaza >< will go soon

Looks like I might be going to CSU LA or Northridge.

Long Beach sent me an email saying to send in my military credit. They told me I needed to send in my the document called a DD214. Well today they told me it was the wrong document and I needed to send in something called AARTS military transcripts by the 13th of this month. Just put in my request for them so hopefully they process and get there before friday. It's not looking good though.

Either way I am still going to LA though. Which part of LA is csula in?

Puddles

Banned
Looks like I might be going to CSU LA or Northridge.

Long Beach sent me an email saying to send in my military credit. They told me I needed to send in my the document called a DD214. Well today they told me it was the wrong document and I needed to send in something called AARTS military transcripts by the 13th of this month. Just put in my request for them so hopefully they process and get there before friday. It's not looking good though.

Either way I am still going to LA though. Which part of LA is csula in?

It's around East LA and west of Alhambra.

Puddles

Banned
How far is it from Koreatown, Santa Monica, and Long Beach? Those are the places I really know in LA.

It should be easy to get to Long Beach from Cal State LA, because it's right off the 710. CSULA is basically where the 10 and 710 intersect. You could take the 710 south for 20-25 minutes, and you'd be in Long Beach.

Since it's also on the 10, you could take that west and get to Santa Monica. That drive is heavily dependent on traffic. Without congestion, maybe 20 minutes of driving? It's likely to take 45 minutes to an hour under normal circumstances, I'd imagine.

It should be easy to get to Long Beach from Cal State LA, because it's right off the 710. CSULA is basically where the 10 and 710 intersect. You could take the 710 south for 20-25 minutes, and you'd be in Long Beach.

Since it's also on the 10, you could take that west and get to Santa Monica. That drive is heavily dependent on traffic. Without congestion, maybe 20 minutes of driving? It's likely to take 45 minutes to an hour under normal circumstances, I'd imagine.

I totally understand where it is now that you said it is off the 10/710 intersect.

Does any of LA gaf own a vespa?

I live right next to Cal State LA...everything puddles says is true :p If you end up living near Cal State LA you have pretty easy access to downtown and on weekends, if you're driving, it's 20-25 minutes everywhere in LA.

I live right next to Cal State LA...everything puddles says is true :p If you end up living near Cal State LA you have pretty easy access to downtown and on weekends, if you're driving, it's 20-25 minutes everywhere in LA.

So how is the housing in the area? I should have around $2000/M for rent.

So how is the housing in the area? I should have around $2000/M for rent.

Live in Alhambra or Monterey Park, which are a tiny bit east of Cal State LA and MUCH nicer neighborhoods than what's west of Cal State LA (which is like city terrace and el sereno...just no). You can easily get a 1 bedroom apt for $1200 a month.

Gaf, I am moving to Long Beach in June. My understanding is that this is a suburb of LA. Impressions? If you had to give it a review score, what would you give it?

Also, any advice on where in town to get a place? I don't wanna be in ghettosville.

Just don't be on the east side of long beach...you know all those songs snoop doggy dogg rapped about in the early 90s? It was about that area :p

Gaf, I am moving to Long Beach in June. My understanding is that this is a suburb of LA. Impressions? If you had to give it a review score, what would you give it?

Also, any advice on where in town to get a place? I don't wanna be in ghettosville.

Puddles

Banned

If you can live around 2nd St, you'll be surrounded by HOT 20-something girls all the time. Apartments are a bit pricey though.

It's not a suburb of LA. It's like the midway point between LA and Orange County.

Zyzyxxz

Does any of LA gaf own a vespa?

If you are going to go to Cal State LA definitely try living in Monterey Park, Alhambra, etc since its close and cheaper than Downtown. Also you will be surrounded by hot Asian girls and great Asian restaurants (although shitty Asian drivers except me I am the exception to the stereotype).

As for the vespa...lolz... jk but if you plan to take local streets sure but a Vespa is more suited to Downtown or Venice Beach IMO places where you might not drive too far or need to drive too fast.

If you are going to go to Cal State LA definitely try living in Monterey Park, Alhambra, etc since its close and cheaper than Downtown. Also you will be surrounded by hot Asian girls and great Asian restaurants (although shitty Asian drivers except me I am the exception to the stereotype).

As for the vespa...lolz... jk but if you plan to take local streets sure but a Vespa is more suited to Downtown or Venice Beach IMO places where you might not drive too far or need to drive too fast.
The vespa question wasn't for me. A friend wants one but she is new to LA so I was going to ask you guys advice...

Asian women you say...

Well I still have to figure out which one of the colleges I am going to commit too. However, Asian chicks...

Lol
Valley blvd...garvey ave...just walk up and down these areas and their various restaurants and shopping areas. Just know they will prbably not be speaking english ;p

Zyzyxxz

Asian women you say...

18178406.jpg

But if you aren't Asian then you have to narrow it down to Americanized Asians who speak decent English and those who are open minded to interracial dating. Might be hard enough to find a girl who will date outside her Asian-specific ethnic group.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I work Downtown, where should I live? I don't want to live Downtown. I'm staying with my uncle in Burbank at the moment.

Puddles

Banned
Let me ask your opinions on something:

If you're trying to go west towards Century City/UCLA/Beverly Hills during morning or afternoon rush hour, and you don't want to take a freeway, which of the following streets would you take?

Santa Monica Blvd
Wilshire
Olympic
Beverly
Some other street

Google Navigator routed me down Santa Monica Blvd after I passed on the 10/405 route, and it was a horrible time. It seems like Santa Monica is the main route for people who want to avoid the freeways. Are there any parallel streets that move a little faster, in your experience?

Top Bottom