• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

In the afternoon, there's no reason to not take the 10 West. It's generally okay/against traffic. Easily the fastest route to where you want.

Third St. is the fastest street east/west, esp. through Hancock Park.

Puddles

Banned
In the afternoon, there's no reason to not take the 10 West. It's generally okay/against traffic. Easily the fastest route to where you want.

Third is the fastest street east/west, esp. through Hancock Park.

The 10 is fine, but if I'm headed for Westwood, that little stretch of 405 could add 20 minutes to the trip if I'm on it at the wrong time.

I'll try 3rd at some point.

If you wanted to take 10 + surface street to avoid the 405, which north/south street would you say is best as a 405 alternative?

If you wanted to take 10 + surface street to avoid the 405, which north/south street would you say is best as a 405 alternative?

If going to Westwood? I would jump on the 405 just till SMB, then go straight up to Ohio from the offramp. Then take Ohio to Veteran. If going to UCLA take Veteran up to Montana or Sunset, depending on which side of campus you want.

Overland exit is just too far from Westwood. If you do take Overland, take it all the way up to the Temple/SMB.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I was in Stussy on La Brea today and Chris Brown walked in.

Dude is taller than I thought.

Sobriquet

Let me ask your opinions on something:

If you're trying to go west towards Century City/UCLA/Beverly Hills during morning or afternoon rush hour, and you don't want to take a freeway, which of the following streets would you take?

Santa Monica Blvd
Wilshire
Olympic
Beverly
Some other street

Google Navigator routed me down Santa Monica Blvd after I passed on the 10/405 route, and it was a horrible time. It seems like Santa Monica is the main route for people who want to avoid the freeways. Are there any parallel streets that move a little faster, in your experience?

I would use Olympic or Pico.

Neato, tip off the waitress that you're there I'd like to come out of my lonely kitchen dungeon and say hi.

The ads on yelp are fucking hilarious.

WTF IMGUR!

spjMq.jpg

TheTowel

What the fuck

Better start raining again this week. Pouring on the way out to Manhattan Beach then right when I arrive, boom - sunshine. Great weather really, but I was holding out for more rain.

Argyle

Oh shit, this thread got moved...

So guys if anybody lives in the SGV a new bar has opened up in which I am conceptualizing the menu for:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-house-bar-monterey-park

So swing by and say hi! A good selection of beers and more to come!

Is the menu posted anywhere? Maybe I'll try to stop by - probably not for a few weeks though...although maybe I can pop by on Friday, need to run it by management first...

Zyzyxxz

Is the menu posted anywhere? Maybe I'll try to stop by - probably not for a few weeks though...although maybe I can pop by on Friday, need to run it by management first...

Not yet I don't think we have an official website yet. I am still working on the menu but tentatively for now it is:

Fried Lotus Root Chips
Twice Fried Chicken Wings (soy, honey, ginger reduction)
Cold Chicken Salad in a Peanut Sesame Sauce w/ pickled cucumbers over fried Chinese bun
5 Spiced Lamb Kofta wrapped in scallion pancake w/ yogurt sauce, pickled onions, cilantro

Working on some more stuff as well.

Zyzyxxz

Will do. Who should I ask for? Or I could always tell her to say "Hey Nekobo from GAF wants to have a word with you!" lol

Oh just ask for Johnny. I'll just be the Asian guy in all black cooking clothes.

So what's this about a asian night market in Pasadena this weekend. Gonna be worth going to?

Was going to go if I didnt start my new job which I did. Also posssibly rain to make a miserable time. I guess the old Chinese superstition about "4" being an unlucky number is true.

Nekobo

Just got back from the bar Zyzyxxz works at. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, and tasty food! Zyzyxxz is a nice fellow, too. My friend and I like the place so we're definitely coming back again sometime.

If LA GAF ever does another bar hang out, this would be a cool place to do it. :)

Lotus fries and chicken wings (they were fried twice, yum).

6929578726_1defbee508.jpg

So there are at least 3 LA GAF members that seem to live right near that bar and zyzyxxz works there...dammit we needa figure something out :p

Yeah, Night Market fail. Just got back and I didn't eat a single thing there. I got there at 5:15 and it was full - more than 30 minute lines in some spots. Left, had dinner somewhere else, tried to go back... and it was basically one giant meatloaf.

They 1) failed to spread the food out so you really had no idea what you were in a line for - or that it was even a line at a certain point because that many people were packed in.

and 2) they just over all underestimated the turn out. It was one tiny block with vendors and food and it was rather miserable when all was said and done. Downtown ended up getting screwed when it came to traffic and a lot people had no idea what was going on from the comments on Twitter.

Oh, and a huge piss off to all the people who lugged their giant ass strollers and was ramming them into the backs of people's feet. How in the bloody hell did you think it was a good idea? There's a special circle in hell for you people along with the people who bring double-wide strollers to Comic Con.

Zyzyxxz

So there are at least 3 LA GAF members that seem to live right near that bar and zyzyxxz works there...dammit we needa figure something out :p

Okay we need an SGV meetup at my work place! If you guys can form a group big enough I'm sure I could get the boss to discount drinks.

We got lots of craft beers, Japanese whisky, and mixed drinks/cocktails.

Also I make some killer chicken wings.

beat

Yeah, Night Market fail. Just got back and I didn't eat a single thing there. I got there at 5:15 and it was full - more than 30 minute lines in some spots. Left, had dinner somewhere else, tried to go back... and it was basically one giant meatloaf.

They 1) failed to spread the food out so you really had no idea what you were in a line for - or that it was even a line at a certain point because that many people were packed in.
Yeah. Vendors in Vancouver's night markets don't just have a sign naming their business, they put their menu up there so everyone can see what's on sale, and more importantly, they bring real restaurant-grade cooking equipment, not stuff that could barely cater a small dinner party. The lineups weren't long just because there were too many people, they were long because the vendors couldn't possibly cook food fast enough.

Hopefully the organizers can find a venue large enough; this one was painfully undersized.

Top Bottom