• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Korey

Great skit on SNL tonight..."The Californians"

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-californians/1396627

http://www.hulu.com/watch/350669/saturday-night-live-the-californians#s-p1-sr-i1

Hey honey, I brought us some tangerines. This guy was selling em on the offramp over by the 2. Devin?! What are you doing here?

Stuart, why are you home so early?

I skipped Wilshire and took Beverly over to Santa Monica and took that all the way up.

Hey Stuart, yea..I just came over to fix the outside speakers on the patio. They sound pretty good. How was work?

I think you should go home now, Devin.

There's nothing going on, Stuart!

I said go home!! Get back on San Vicente, take it to the 10, switch over to the 405N, and let it dump you onto Mulholland where you belong!

Stuart!! At this time of day? It's going to be jammed! Are you crazy??

Just get on the 10 and get outta here!!

Nekobo

Okay we need an SGV meetup at my work place! If you guys can form a group big enough I'm sure I could get the boss to discount drinks.

We got lots of craft beers, Japanese whisky, and mixed drinks/cocktails.

Also I make some killer chicken wings.

I can vouch for the quality of the wings. Good stuff.

And I'm down for a SGV gathering.

Also, totally glad I didn't go to the 626 Marketplace. I haven't heard a single person say anything positive about it.

Argyle

Okay we need an SGV meetup at my work place! If you guys can form a group big enough I'm sure I could get the boss to discount drinks.

We got lots of craft beers, Japanese whisky, and mixed drinks/cocktails.

Also I make some killer chicken wings.

I am down for this, but I probably won't be able to make it for a few weeks - maybe sometime in May?

Yeah, Night Market fail. Just got back and I didn't eat a single thing there. I got there at 5:15 and it was full - more than 30 minute lines in some spots. Left, had dinner somewhere else, tried to go back... and it was basically one giant meatloaf.

They 1) failed to spread the food out so you really had no idea what you were in a line for - or that it was even a line at a certain point because that many people were packed in.

and 2) they just over all underestimated the turn out. It was one tiny block with vendors and food and it was rather miserable when all was said and done. Downtown ended up getting screwed when it came to traffic and a lot people had no idea what was going on from the comments on Twitter.

Oh, and a huge piss off to all the people who lugged their giant ass strollers and was ramming them into the backs of people's feet. How in the bloody hell did you think it was a good idea? There's a special circle in hell for you people along with the people who bring double-wide strollers to Comic Con.

This was my experience, pretty much. Showed up around 6pm and gave up after pushing my way past half of the food stalls, then walked to Lake to get some dinner. Came back around 10pm and just waited outside while some of my friends waited 45 minutes to get boba.

Hopefully they have learned from this and will do better next time.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Might be moving here from Chicago in a month or two. Anybody got suggestions for a young family, looking for a suburban-style environment within an hour's drive of Bev. Hills (might be working at Wilshire and Fairfax)?

We've been looking at homes in Pasadena, Valencia, and Walnut to start.

Zyzyxxz

Might be moving here from Chicago in a month or two. Anybody got suggestions for a young family, looking for a suburban-style environment within an hour's drive of Bev. Hills (might be working at Wilshire and Fairfax)?

We've been looking at homes in Pasadena, Valencia, and Walnut to start.

What's your price range? I would say Culver City since it's pretty suburban but with great restaurants, access to Farmer's markets, and easy drive to work for you.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
What's your price range? I would say Culver City since it's pretty suburban but with great restaurants, access to Farmer's markets, and easy drive to work for you.

Around 3000 a month. Looking for a home to live in rather than an apartment.

Zyzyxxz

Around 3000 a month. Looking for a home to live in rather than an apartment.

I think with that price range you have a lot of options in Culver City just by giving a quick look at Craigslist.

You may want to pay for access to Westside Rentals though since they have a lot of property listings.

if we ever do an sgv meetup at zyzyxxz's bar, we might have to just eat there and move on to a dive bar to play some pool! That place seems too upscale for me, Bar 21 down the street is more my style.

Zyzyxxz

if we ever do an sgv meetup at zyzyxxz's bar, we might have to just eat there and move on to a dive bar to play some pool! That place seems too upscale for me, Bar 21 down the street is more my style.

Nah it's pretty chill, maybe upscale in look but it very casual. Also you guys can move onto the Cue Ball for pool which is a short drive away.

Also since we've barely opened business hasn't quite picked up yet so you guys can basically own the place and probably make music request as well.

beat

You got the Culver City Farmer's Market on Tues
http://www.yelp.com/biz/culver-city-farmers-market-culver-city

And for a short drive (15-20 mins no traffic) you can visit the Wednesday and Saturday Santa Monica Farmer's Market which is one of if not my favorite Farmer's Market that I've been to.
It'll probably have to be the Saturday Santa Monica farmer's market for me, then. The Culver City one would be more convenient, but I generally work 10-7, and lunch hour has to finish by 2.

You guys always make me hungry. Not sure why but yeah...
Because I love talking about food!

Switching topics for a second: how is the LA Times festival of books?

Zyzyxxz

It'll probably have to be the Saturday Santa Monica farmer's market for me, then. The Culver City one would be more convenient, but I generally work 10-7, and lunch hour has to finish by 2.

Because I love talking about food!

Yeah well traffic is virtually non-existent when I would go which is 7-8am (yeah I know who wakes up that early on a weekend) but by 2-3pm traffic will get gnarly so unless you want to stay in SanMo get out of there.

Want to go to the festival of books just for the celebrity chefs though.

Nekobo

I'll be going on Saturday for the Watchmen panel and screening. I'll have my 3DS on me to do some street passing, too. :p

I've only been to the festival when it was at UCLA, so I have no idea if it's any better at USC. But yah, if you guys wanna meet up I'll be there all afternoon and will probably go to K-town for dinner. Then probably hit up hit Bourbon St. Cafe (http://www.yelp.com/biz/bourbon-street-cafe-los-angeles).

Here's the schedule.
http://events.latimes.com/festivalofbooks/program-schedule/

Feep

Banned
I went to ElecTRONica's final show last night, and I'm sad I didn't discover it earlier.

Are there any cool rave or ravelike scenes in Los Angeles? If possible:

1) Fancy lights!
2) Electronica, minimal/no Top 40
3) Competent DJ
4) Low/no cover

Thanks!

I went to ElecTRONica's final show last night, and I'm sad I didn't discover it earlier.

Are there any cool rave or ravelike scenes in Los Angeles? If possible:

1) Fancy lights!
2) Electronica, minimal/no Top 40
3) Competent DJ
4) Low/no cover

Thanks!

Oh, that's a bummer... I never did make it over there and I had no idea it was ending. :\

bluemax

Banned
You got the Culver City Farmer's Market on Tues
http://www.yelp.com/biz/culver-city-farmers-market-culver-city

And for a short drive (15-20 mins no traffic) you can visit the Wednesday and Saturday Santa Monica Farmer's Market which is one of if not my favorite Farmer's Market that I've been to.

There's also a Sunday Farmer's Market in Mar Vista and a Saturday one in Playa Del Rey if you want to go to places a bit less crowded than Santa Monica.

Im at the Library downtown right now. Place is neat but holy hell at the drink prices. We got two whiskey sours with Johnny walker red label and the total was $32 without tip. Very rarely have I been to bars that charge that much. Hell I just went to Bottega Louie which is a lot more charming minus the amount of people and the same was $24. Wonder why the Library is so much.

Im at the Library downtown right now. Place is neat but holy hell at the drink prices. We got two whiskey sours with Johnny walker red label and the total was $32 without tip. Very rarely have I been to bars that charge that much. Hell I just went to Bottega Louie which is a lot more charming minus the amount of people and the same was $24. Wonder why the Library is so much.

I was in a place in Hollywood like five years ago and it was super expensive. Imported beer in a bottle was like 9 bucks. I just said fuck it and danced with this hot ass Russian chick.

So who won GAF is responsible for the seven helicopters who've been circling around Los Feliz and Hollywood the last 25 minutes with their spotlights on?

Nekobo

So the bar I work at is having it's grand opening on the 28th this Saturday. For those interested info:

Spirit House Bar

I can't promise anything but probability of hot Asian honies is likely.

I've gone the past two Fridays and dig the place. Just needs more regulars and the place will be bumpin'. Sadly, I won't in town this weekend to make it to the opening.

Here's a pic of some stuff Zyzyxxz (super nice fella) cooked up for me last Friday. Finger lickin' good.

7113095581_f388418dc4.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've gone the past two Fridays and dig the place. Just needs more regulars and the place will be bumpin'. Sadly, I won't in town this weekend to make it to the opening.

Here's a pic of some stuff Zyzyxxz (super nice fella) cooked up for me last Friday. Finger lickin' good.

7113095581_f388418dc4.jpg
Oh mai god. Is under 21 ok or no?

Puddles

Banned
Driving to work this morning, there were people literally driving 30-40 mph with completely open lanes in front of them. All because it had rained maybe 8 hours earlier. I ended up being late to work because of those idiots.

I wanted to string them up on burning stakes along the side of the freeway as examples to all who would dare to drive so stupidly.

Honestly, if you're too chickenshit to at least do the speed limit when it isn't even raining anymore, take the fucking surface streets.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
So to anyone interested, I'm playing a small acoustic set at the kbitz room tomorrow night around 10:30pm. I think I have one on Sunday too, but it's not locked yet. Would love to see all!

Top Bottom