• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Apparently people in NYC think LA has no culture, no food, no history, and no women.

It's a typical uppity-NYC attitude. Chicagoans also have that attitude but they're just salty because they're no longer the "second city" and because nobody in LA gives a shit about them. They're in flyover country :p

People don't understand the word "culture" apparently. Los Angeles has it in spades. California is a huge trendsetter for the nation, the rest of the country just doesn't realize it.

Driving to work this morning, there were people literally driving 30-40 mph with completely open lanes in front of them. All because it had rained maybe 8 hours earlier. I ended up being late to work because of those idiots.

I wanted to string them up on burning stakes along the side of the freeway as examples to all who would dare to drive so stupidly.

Honestly, if you're too chickenshit to at least do the speed limit when it isn't even raining anymore, take the fucking surface streets.
What's even more infuriating are dumfucks who go below 65 in the carpool lanes.
They go in their for the sake of being in carpool.
dumbfucks

It's a typical uppity-NYC attitude. Chicagoans also have that attitude but they're just salty because they're no longer the "second city" and because nobody in LA gives a shit about them. They're in flyover country :p

People don't understand the word "culture" apparently. Los Angeles has it in spades. California is a huge trendsetter for the nation, the rest of the country just doesn't realize it.

In my Sociology class the teacher pointed out that LA is the trendsetter for the world and also one of the most culturally diverse areas of the world.

Edit: oh yeah, how hard is it to find a job that will work around classes in LA?

In my Sociology class the teacher pointed out that LA is the trendsetter for the world and also one of the most culturally diverse areas of the world.

Edit: oh yeah, how hard is it to find a job that will work around classes in LA?

My job is 30 miles away from me just because they work around my schedule...I"m sure there are places in LA that work around the schedules but I couldn't find those :(

Zyzyxxz

So if anybody is interested in coming to our grand opening of the bar tomorrow night just a FYI food will be free I am told so that means I'll be making a shit ton of food.

*Yay me*
It's going to suck for me.

Puddles

Banned
There was this idiotic procession of bikers tonight on one of the north/south streets just past Vermont. Those pig-fuckers held up traffic for a good 15 minutes. I think I missed 5 or 6 consecutive green lights because of them. If cops hadn't been there, I seriously would have plowed through with no regard for human life.

Fuck those idiots.

beat

There was this idiotic procession of bikers tonight on one of the north/south streets just past Vermont. Those pig-fuckers held up traffic for a good 15 minutes. I think I missed 5 or 6 consecutive green lights because of them. If cops hadn't been there, I seriously would have plowed through with no regard for human life.

Fuck those idiots.

Sounds like Critical Mass.

On the one hand, I get that it's frustrating for drivers, but on the other hand, people who express homicidal thoughts because they were held up for a few minutes only illustrates the need for CM. (not to mention the actual drivers who do hit and kill bikers (outside of CM) and get slaps on the wrist for it.)

Zyzyxxz

Fuck those idiots.

I know it sucks but a few months back somebody did drive through and hit someone on their bike and they were hurt while they just drove off.

I would just deal with it, it's just like a railroad crossing, except I guess you don't live near the railroads though.

Puddles

Banned
Sounds like Critical Mass.

On the one hand, I get that it's frustrating for drivers, but on the other hand, people who express homicidal thoughts because they were held up for a few minutes only illustrates the need for CM. (not to mention the actual drivers who do hit and kill bikers (outside of CM) and get slaps on the wrist for it.)

It's almost like this is web forum where I vent hyperbolic expressions of rage on a regular basis!

(I wouldn't actually hit a biker.)

In my hubris, I decided to make Sprinkles Cupcakes today. The Vanilla came out fine.

Then I tried Chocolate.

Don't try to make Sprinkles Chocolate.

My tummy is all hurty now.

The Chef

Wtf Santa Monica...
Here with some friends for a few days. Figured we all wanted to head out to a dance club tonight. Holy shit this place is the biggest hippie-ville ever. Wtf. Went to 2 clubs that were "highly" recommended to us from our hotel.
The first was the most bizzare music ever. Not even techno, I can get into that. This shit was something else entirely. I don't even think being on E would help with that. Nearly every person there had dreads to their shoulders and was trippin BALLS.
Broke the f out of that shit.
Next suggestion near us and also a highly rated place on Google. Dear god the SAME thing. No way were we going to shell out a cover when we could hear the same crap music inside. Plus the homeless looking dudes smokin outside didn't help.
So here we are. Just aimlessly walking back to Ocean Ave and just strolled into a bar that had a Guinness sign outside.
I am so freakin pissed. It was hard enough to get everyone motivated to go out. Now we are not doing a damn thing and it's 12am
Help me out Gaf. Are there any decent hip hop clubs around here???

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Wtf Santa Monica...
Here with some friends for a few days. Figured we all wanted to head out to a dance club tonight. Holy shit this place is the biggest hippie-ville ever. Wtf. Went to 2 clubs that were "highly" recommended to us from our hotel.
The first was the most bizzare music ever. Not even techno, I can get into that. This shit was something else entirely. I don't even think being on E would help with that. Nearly every person there had dreads to their shoulders and was trippin BALLS.
Next suggestion near us and also a highly rated place on Google. Dear god the SAME thing. No way were we going to shell out a cover when we could hear the same crap music inside. Plus the homeless looking dudes smokin outside didn't help.
So here we are. Just aimlessly walking back to Ocean Ave and just strolled into a bar that had a Guinness sign outside.
I am so freakin pissed. It was hard enough to get everyone motivated to go out. Now we are not doing a damn thing and it's 12am

check hollywood betch.

The Chef

check hollywood betch.

Ahh thank you, so this is hippy-ville. Check.
In Santa Barbra we went to 3 clubs one night - some of the best clubs I have ever been to. A couple amazing Hip Hop places and one techno place. And that I figured, would have been a rarity considering the small size of that place.
Thats pretty much the reason I figured there MUST be some kick ass clubs in santa monica. Not looking that way.

Zyzyxxz

In Santa Barbra we went to 3 clubs one night - some of the best clubs I have ever been to. A couple amazing Hip Hop places and one techno place. And that I figured, would have been a rarity considering the small size of that place.
Thats pretty much the reason I figured there MUST be some kick ass clubs in santa monica. Not looking that way.

LOL dude it's Santa Monica man. You need to hit up places closer to colleges like Santa Barbara.

Should have checked out Westwood area, don't know it too well but UCLA is near and I'd bet there would be some bombass places.

The Chef

LOL dude it's Santa Monica man. You need to hit up places closer to colleges like Santa Barbara.

Should have checked out Westwood area, don't know it too well but UCLA is near and I'd bet there would be some bombass places.

Hahah thanks dude. Maye well give it another shot Friday.

No dancing in Westwood.

(really, it's actually a thing, the area kicked out the last dance club 15-20 years ago)

aznpxdd

Why would you go to Santa Monica for clubs?? Go to Hollywood...

Puddles

Banned

Santa Barbara does have great clubs. I ran that show for years.

Which ones did you go to? Were you on State St?

PG2G

Wtf Santa Monica...

When it comes to clubs, you need to know what days are what. At the same club, you could have a reggae night, electronic night, salsa night, and hip hop night. The Room is a good spot for hip hop (old school kind of stuff) on Friday and Saturday I believe. Zanzibar plays hip hop one of those nights too, not sure which.

Surprised you guys like Santa Barbara clubs so much, I went to one two years ago and didn't think it was anything special. Forget which one it was, probably one of the bigger ones in SB though.

freshair

Surprised you guys like Santa Barbara clubs so much, I went to one two years ago and didn't think it was anything special. Forget which one it was, probably one of the bigger ones in SB though.

You're right, SB clubs aren't anything special, but the crowds are what makes it, imo. I went to school in SB and compared to Hollywood clubs, it's just less pretentious + really attractive/drunk college girls = awesome blossom.

Speaking of clubs, anyone heading to Belasco tomorrow night? 99% Asian. lol

PG2G

Speaking of clubs, anyone heading to Belasco tomorrow night? 99% Asian. lol

Is it pretty much the same as Exchange? Electronic music?

I was at playhouse last night, had an amazing time. Probably because the DJ was playing trap music, which is my current addiction :p

freshair

Is it pretty much the same as Exchange? Electronic music?

I was at playhouse last night, had an amazing time. Probably because the DJ was playing trap music, which is my current addiction :p

Never been to Exchange, but it's been a mixture last time I went. A little bit of edm and top 40, with sprinkles of hiphop and 80s.

Not bad.

I'll have to check out playhouse sometime. Been on my list for a while.

Clipjoint

I'm finally off work tomorrow so I'm going to see the Avengers. Which is the best theater to see it in? Is the Citywalk IMAX the best option? I can't really get a straight answer. Is it better to just go to Arclight instead?

woxel1

Arclight normally yes, but because of Arclight Hollywood's proximity to the El Capitan (the Disney-owned theater) they're not allowed to show Avengers :(

The IMAX in Culver City is a little nicer than the one at Citywalk just because it's more recent.

I'm finally off work tomorrow so I'm going to see the Avengers. Which is the best theater to see it in? Is the Citywalk IMAX the best option? I can't really get a straight answer. Is it better to just go to Arclight instead?

Where do you live? Pasadena and Sherman Oaks Arclights are showing it.

Zyzyxxz

So we're having an acoustic live music night at our bar tomorrow for those interested:

http://www.facebook.com/thespirithouse
http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-house-bar-monterey-park

I make some pretty bomb wings too.

Top Bottom