• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

thirty

Banned
:) That's about 8 people who seem keen on it now. It would probably also be best 8-10 people to keep it more intimate. An exciting prospect.

And maybe Patina would be a good choice, then. It does have a pretty solid reputation and it's be nice to try something new. I'm sorry to have missed out on Ortolan. Makes me sad how many of the higher end places are closing (Sona! ;_;), but it's either evolve the model or go under these days. I still need to try your place too, Zyzyxxz!
H.Pro, you are an attractive female. you can probably invite GAF to walk off a cliff and get a good percentage of gaffers to follow.
A craftbeer and cocktail bar in Monterey Park called Spirit House. I run the kitchen and conceptualize the food menu part of the business.
Zyzyxxz, you're probably busy as hell on the weekends. how about a meet up on a weeknight like Tues-Thursday?

LA-GAF, anyone down for a fitness meet up on a weekend morning? there are the stairs in santa monica, stairs in culver city, hiking at runyon canyon, etc. or we can do a kickboxing workout at a park. i got a slew of gloves and boxing/muay thai pads you guys can use.

sm_stairs12_medium.png

4261804781_8ecb03368a_z.jpg

fitness-fight-camp_grid_6.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Zyzyxxz, you're probably busy as hell on the weekends. how about a meet up on a weeknight like Tues-Thursday?

My only nights off are Sundays and Monedays unfortunately. I actually work with a fellow GAFer and he can cover for me on Wed/Thurs though.

H.Pro, you are an attractive female. you can probably invite GAF to walk off a cliff and get a good percentage of gaffers to follow.

LA-GAF, anyone down for a fitness meet up on a weekend morning? there are the stairs in santa monica, stairs in culver city, hiking at runyon canyon, etc. or we can do a kickboxing workout at a park. i got a slew of gloves and boxing/muay thai pads you guys can use.

sm_stairs12_medium.png

4261804781_8ecb03368a_z.jpg

fitness-fight-camp_grid_6.jpg

I'm flattered, but I don't think many (or any) would be desperate enough to drop $200 on a meal just to go to a dinner in a group with one woman who is already taken (and far past the median age range on gaf). ;) I'd like to think that those who are interested in going (most of who have already met me IRL anyway) are more hoping to see me balance burning things on my head in a fine-dining setting. That's my real draw at these meet-ups.

thirty

Banned
I'm flattered, but I don't think many (or any) would be desperate enough to drop $200 on a meal just to go to a dinner in a group with one woman who is already taken (and far past the median age range on gaf). ;) I'd like to think that those who are interested in going (most of who have already met me IRL anyway) are more hoping to see me balance burning things on my head in a fine-dining setting. That's my real draw at these meet-ups.
ok, you just became less attractive. ;-)

thirty

Banned
Haha. I had heard on gaf that a woman's stock value drops to almost 0 when she's not available. I shall have to appeal to everyone's alcoholic nature to get them out now. ;)
maybe on gaf, in the real world, men will be men.

so, who else is down for a midweek mixer at spirit house?

You just got hotter.

Just kidding yo

The more I drink, the greater the tendency for fire. That IS a staple of these outings, so you're somewhat accurate. ;)

maybe on gaf, in the real world, men will be men.

so, who else is down for a midweek mixer at spirit house?

Oh, I know real men are more mature than that. Just jesting because it seems to come up on here so often.

Wish I could join you guys. Working 'til 9:30 isn't really conducive to a social life, especially not one during the week.

Puddles

Banned
Haha. I had heard on gaf that a woman's stock value drops to almost 0 when she's not available. I shall have to appeal to everyone's alcoholic nature to get them out now. ;)

This is 100% true; however I doubt many people in this thread were secretly hoping to win your affection. I know I go to these events to laugh it up with clearacell and Iceman.

Also, I'll be back in LA full-time starting on Sunday the 23rd. If you guys want to plan something, please do it on or after that date.

This is 100% true; however I doubt many people in this thread were secretly hoping to win your affection. I know I go to these events to laugh it up with clearacell and Iceman.

Also, I'll be back in LA full-time starting on Sunday the 23rd. If you guys want to plan something, please do it on or after that date.

It's 100% true that a woman's stock value drops to nada? D:

I doubt any were going for hopes of affection either. I just like to hang out with you all and try out some new bars and do badly at pool (Iceman is a shark). And I wouldn't worry about missing the next meet-up. Dojo has put one for the 20th of Oct (which sadly I don't think I can attend) and I'm thinking of another for Nov that will be fancy pants, if that interests you.

Well, that explains the 405 the other day, I suppose...

A little brush fire is nothing. I've had the occasion to move to Manhattan on Sept. 9, 2001, and I was in New Orleans 3 days before Katrina.
They call me the Harbinger of Doom.

Depends on what we're defining as stock value. N/m, this isn't a good topic for me with the amount of wine I've consumed tonight.

Haha. Probably best saved for the "can men and women be friends" thread rather than here.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

This means you're coming, then. Excellent! :D

Puddles

Banned
So with this fancy-pantsy dinner in November, how much are you planning per plate? As a grad student, my budget is not unlimited, but I can probably make it work if I skimp that month, so long as it's not ridiculously expensive.

thirty

Banned
So with this fancy-pantsy dinner in November, how much are you planning per plate? As a grad student, my budget is not unlimited, but I can probably make it work if I skimp that month, so long as it's not ridiculously expensive.
H.Pro mentioned it would be around $200.

As thirty said, probably ~$200, but that will (hopefully) include everything from tip to wine, etc. Nothing is formalized, though. It really depends what's on offer in Nov at places.

I knew it was a mistake moving out here! What have I done?!

youarealreadydead.gif

beat

A little brush fire is nothing. I've had the occasion to move to Manhattan on Sept. 9, 2001, and I was in New Orleans 3 days before Katrina.
They call me the Harbinger of Doom.
So what happened when you first moved here?

Also, please don't move to my hometown. =)

Puddles

Banned
If I make thousands of dollars betting on political outcomes, as is the plan, I can do the $200 dinner.

If I lose thousands of dollars betting on political outcomes, I definitely won't be attending.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fine dining, you say! If only I were in the United States
could stand L.A.
;b. Just bring two laptops and set them across from each other at a table, and load up video conferencing with me and kisaya :D

Hpro said:
I'm flattered, but I don't think many (or any) would be desperate enough to drop $200 on a meal just to go to a dinner in a group with one woman who is already taken (and far past the median age range on gaf).

iwannaseethereceipts.gif

So what happened when you first moved here?

Also, please don't move to my hometown. =)

If I recall rightly there were some mini-earthquakes, but that's small stuff compared to my usual disasters. When I first moved to Japan we had 7 typhoons that were the worst they'd had in nearly ten years (for my area) (they weren't catastrophic or anything, though).

If I make thousands of dollars betting on political outcomes, as is the plan, I can do the $200 dinner.

If I lose thousands of dollars betting on political outcomes, I definitely won't be attending.

What's your political bet? And should you fail at your bid, we shall toast you in spirit.

Fine dining, you say! If only I were in the United States
could stand L.A.
;b. Just bring two laptops and set them across from each other at a table, and load up video conferencing with me and kisaya :D

iwannaseethereceipts.gif

Haha. Fair on L.A., but fine dining is one of the things that will make you forget where you are. Ensconced between a geoduck nibble and a nori foccacia you will be transported to a safe place away from all the road rage and alien palm trees. :) That and you would most assuredly love Providence (and probably Patina & Melisse as well).

It would be hilarious, however, to prop up 2 laptops for you and kisaya and pour little glasses of wine for them while we're dining. The other patrons would slowly edge away until we were but an island of nerd.

When are you coming back anyway (to the states if even the upcoming fabulous meal cannot tempt you here)? And I turned 31 last-last weekend! My get-off-my-lawn phase is in full bloom! :D

I turned 30 during labor day weekend, we are officially over the hill :/

Woohoo for Over The Hill-Gaf! Don't be sad. 30s are a nice period of relative youth coupled with confidence and less fear overall. ^_^ I just wish my 30s had more sleep.

I wasn't aware I was older than you HP. Turned 31 in January.

I knew we were close in age, but I couldn't remember which way round it was. Huzzah for 31-ers.

Wow, you do NOT look it, that's for sure.

Thanks! You wouldn't say that if you saw me right now, but put some sleep in me and I barely look a day over 29. ;)

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Sup gaffers.

Some at the meetup I think heard me extend the invite, but I'm throwing a bbq house party/ house show at my house this sunday . . if you're interested, (PUUDDLEES WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN) gimme a PM!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Haha. Fair on L.A., but fine dining is one of the things that will make you forget where you are. Ensconced between a geoduck nibble and a nori foccacia you will be transported to a safe place away from all the road rage and alien palm trees. :) That and you would most assuredly love Providence (and probably Patina & Melisse as well).

It would be hilarious, however, to prop up 2 laptops for you and kisaya and pour little glasses of wine for them while we're dining. The other patrons would slowly edge away until we were but an island of nerd.

When are you coming back anyway (to the states if even the upcoming fabulous meal cannot tempt you here)? And I turned 31 last-last weekend! My get-off-my-lawn phase is in full bloom! :D

Phew, not sure. I need to hop on over some time in November, to renew my driver's license (if it expires I'll have problems in Texas, have to retake driving exam, no thanks). That might be the occasion to ditch my apartment and sell my car and prep for continued travel.

I'll have to see when I get back. All I know is that I don't think Austin's for me; I was stagnant there, and I don't really like the layout of the city, and it has some whitewashed segregation vibes, and I haven't met many compatible people there. Within the States I think moving to Manhattan might be the best choice for me, even though that's the total opposite of the cost of living situation I favored in Texas, but I'm done worrying about crap like taxes and more focused on doing what's right for me in other capacities.

Keep traveling around the world? Take a break back in Austin and recharge and reevaluate? Relocate to elsewhere in the States and maybe go back to school? Live abroad in France/Italy/Spain/Germany/UK for 3-12 month blocks of time and see where it takes me?

So many options. Too many. Just trying to live life to the utmost and not squander any of the opportunity I've captured, but that means challenging myself continuously. We'll see if I'm up to the task!

Puddles

Banned
Sup gaffers.

Some at the meetup I think heard me extend the invite, but I'm throwing a bbq house party/ house show at my house this sunday . . if you're interested, (PUUDDLEES WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN) gimme a PM!

This Sunday you say? It just so happens that I return from New York on Sunday. I'll be there.

What's your political bet? And should you fail at your bid, we shall toast you in spirit.

Part of the bet is that Obama will win the election straight up, but I also have money on him getting over 300 electoral votes.

Fucking old people

I turn 30 in December

One of us! One of us!

Dam and I feel bad about being 26 this coming December.

Almost one of us! Almost one of us!

Sup gaffers.

I've been holding off replying because I wasn't 100% sure my friends were flying in this weekend, but they are and they want to do a dinner in that night and invite their other friends over. :( Do you ever sing in the South Bay, Fidelis? It would definitely be easier to make (with my mass transportation thing). I want to hear you live!

Phew, not sure. I need to hop on over some time in November, to renew my driver's license (if it expires I'll have problems in Texas, have to retake driving exam, no thanks). That might be the occasion to ditch my apartment and sell my car and prep for continued travel.

I'll have to see when I get back. All I know is that I don't think Austin's for me; I was stagnant there, and I don't really like the layout of the city, and it has some whitewashed segregation vibes, and I haven't met many compatible people there. Within the States I think moving to Manhattan might be the best choice for me, even though that's the total opposite of the cost of living situation I favored in Texas, but I'm done worrying about crap like taxes and more focused on doing what's right for me in other capacities.

Keep traveling around the world? Take a break back in Austin and recharge and reevaluate? Relocate to elsewhere in the States and maybe go back to school? Live abroad in France/Italy/Spain/Germany/UK for 3-12 month blocks of time and see where it takes me?

So many options. Too many. Just trying to live life to the utmost and not squander any of the opportunity I've captured, but that means challenging myself continuously. We'll see if I'm up to the task!

I remember you were sort of digging Austin, but it does seem a bit limited. Manhattan may be a near 180, but it's one of my favorite cities and I loved living there. I think you'll find a better social life and greater breadth of actives to do. Taxes are lame, but you only live once, so you might as well go where you'll be happy.

Ah! But maybe you should try 3 month stints in other towns first? It would un-doable for most, but you're in a great position to really explore where you want to settle. Thoroughly vet a place and try out all it has to offer. Manhattan is hard to beat, but the hectic pace can wear you down after a while. Perhaps something more attuned to outdoors stuff/peace? Colorado has always intrigued me for the natural beauty and fresh feeling. I hear they have an up and coming culinary scene and plenty of young people (in the right areas) too. Or maybe San Diego? Or... :)

I do think you should take a break, return/reevaluate and maybe hit Asia like you've wanted to, but I don't think you need to head back to school so soon yet. With the means you can do that any time. Satiate your wanderlust for now. Certainly is the best time for it. Old enough not to be a fool, but young enough to survive the inevitable tribulations. I say carry on.

Part of the bet is that Obama will win the election straight up, but I also have money on him getting over 300 electoral votes.

Nice. I'll drink to that if you win.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
I've been holding off replying because I wasn't 100% sure my friends were flying in this weekend, but they are and they want to do a dinner in that night and invite their other friends over. :( Do you ever sing in the South Bay, Fidelis? It would definitely be easier to make (with my mass transportation thing). I want to hear you live!

Not yet, but it will happen in the next year for sure. We're starting to book more and more around the greater LA area. Definitely branching out.

Top Bottom