• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

non-mexicans, avoid populated mexican sections of L.A.
:D

lol

You shouldn't assume bro. My mother is half Mexican and I was raised here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Cove,_California

My father is like one of the only fully white men in the town. I know Mexican food. The only good foods are pozole, tacos, and burritos.

Good selections...My wife is white and she loves chile relleno..But pozole is up there on the list. Tamales is good too...

beat

We are not graced with such things on the west side

There's a couple of Mexican food trucks on Venice (kinda) near Overland that do cemitas and tortas. I get a torta cubana from the late night one about once a month. It's not quite the majesty of the greatest torta cubanas I've ever had, but it's close.

Zyzyxxz

Have you tried their other two restaurants? I haven't made it to either one yet (Guisados in East LA, Bizarra Capital in Whittier)... Cooks is one of my favorite places, the bread they use for their tortas is great.

I've tried Guisados, it's great but a pain to find parking and it's crowded. I have yet to try Bizarra though.

Argyle

I've tried Guisados, it's great but a pain to find parking and it's crowded. I have yet to try Bizarra though.

I think I walked by Bizarra not knowing it was owned by the Cooks/Dorados/Guisados guys, but honestly if I am in Whittier it's typically to eat Burmese food at Golden Triangle.

I've also been meaning to try the puffy taco place down there (Arturo's?)...anyone been?

I'll be driving down tomorrow with gaffer Eraldo Coil and my kid. Going to take EC to the korean consulate again. Is the galleria in K-town a cool place to walk around?

Okay I will be moving to Santa Monica on the 23rd. Hopefully I can find a place in SFV soon. I haven't had time with all the court shit I have to do for ex.

What is everyones favorite Thai food place? (really craving some pad kra pao!!)

Also anyone ever been to Lalas Argentine Grill? Think its on Melrose?

If someone were to move to LA how you would you go about meeting people there. I've never lived in a big city before so I don't know if it's easier or harder to meet new people.

Zyzyxxz

What is everyones favorite Thai food place? (really craving some pad kra pao!!)

Also anyone ever been to Lalas Argentine Grill? Think its on Melrose?

I've read very good things about Night + Market in WeHo and then there is of course Jitlada for their spicy food in Thai Town.

PG2G

I've been to Lala's a few times. I always get the Milanesa Napolitana, it is massive! The sangria there is pretty good too.

bud23

If someone were to move to LA how you would you go about meeting people there. I've never lived in a big city before so I don't know if it's easier or harder to meet new people.

It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something.

quote from "crash", best Picture Oscar in 2005.AS SAD AS REAL .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

Crash is a shitty movie.
I prefer this quote from Collateral:

Vincent: 17 million people. This is got to be the fifth biggest economy in the world and nobody knows each other. I read about this guy who gets on the MTA here, dies.
Max: Oh.
Vincent: Six hours he's riding the subway before anybody notices his corpse doing laps around L.A., people on and off sitting next to him. Nobody notices

thirty

Banned
Crash is a shitty movie.

Vincent: 17 million people. This is got to be the fifth biggest economy in the world and nobody knows each other. I read about this guy who gets on the MTA here, dies.
Vincent: Six hours he's riding the subway before anybody notices his corpse doing laps around L.A., people on and off sitting next to him. Nobody notices
"dude was sleeping"

bud23

Crash is a shitty movie.

Crash is more complex and comprehensive than collateral,a movie for teenagers actually.

My parents just visited for the first time since I've been living here. They were appalled at the rudeness of people. Mostly that means they were bothered everyone ignored each other and some people are rude. Is that bad though? We're surrounded by so many people that who has the time to consider every person you pass by? I'd rather just be in my own world most the time.

Crash is more complex and comprehensive than collateral,a movie for teenagers actually.
about the same really. "racism exists, so we are going to show you a bunch of racists in very stereotypical situations to show how racist they are" is the point of the film.

Zyzyxxz

about the same really. "racism exists, so we are going to show you a bunch of racists in very stereotypical situations to show how racist they are" is the point of the film.

Much agreed it was such a grab title for awards I hated it in principal.

My parents just visited for the first time since I've been living here. They were appalled at the rudeness of people. Mostly that means they were bothered everyone ignored each other and some people are rude. Is that bad though? We're surrounded by so many people that who has the time to consider every person you pass by? I'd rather just be in my own world most the time.

I think our problem is we have too many isolated hoods. Here in the SGV the Chinese folk can spend their entire life without needing to speak English which would be close to impossible any most other large cities in America with significant Chinese populations. There's so much segregation by income and ethnicity it's no surprise we tend to stick to our enclaves. It doesn't bother me that much but I do think it's difficult to find a diverse set of friends in this town and make it work considering most people would have to drive 30-40 miles to meet up.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was just looking up the weather.

ApD9I.jpg

"Sunny"? Are you kidding me. It's fucking hell fire at this point.

Daft_Cat

Same as any place, really. If you move for work, you'll have work friends. If you move for school, you'll have school friends.

If you're moving solely for the weather, it might be a bit harder at first. Eventually though, you'll meet people at whatever you end up doing.

Don't worry.

Finding a place to live sucks. Also, strange people in the valley.

Yeah, I'm in this boat too. There are so many hypocrisies/contradictions in the process.

- Landlords want people to move in immediately, but renters are not likely to wait until the very last minute to find a place to live
- Landlords/building mgmt frequently closed on weekends. Want you to come by and check out the place during the weekday. At which point they want to verify employment... you know, the job you're being forced to miss because they only let you view the place on weekdays during business hours.
- 95% of postings are scams nowadays

Has anybody just straight up moved here without a job and found work quickly after? Seems like a bad idea, but at the same time I think being in the city helps my chances of talking with people/interviewing/getting hired. I lived in LA on and off for the last 2 years on internships, but now I'm done with school and looking for a full time gig...but I'm back in Ohio.

And for reference, I'm a designer/motion graphics guy mostly. www.sankethy.com is all I got to show off aside from a resume/LinkedIn profile, but the longer I stay here the more I want to take my chances and just move before my loan repayment kicks in! :/

#missesLAseverely

Was it this bad last summer? I can't remember it being this bad....

Anyways, I'm here in Bellflower, CA (Next door to Cerritos!) contemplating if I should go grab a mop bucket to avoid making anyone clean up the mess that is my melted body.

Top Bottom