• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
it's always hot in August / Sept. Oct is when LA cools off

Yup. This is still basically the peak of LA's summer. It sucks if you didn't grow up here, because you're conditioned to start expecting it to cool off earlier just by the dates.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I do think you should take a break, return/reevaluate and maybe hit Asia like you've wanted to, but I don't think you need to head back to school so soon yet. With the means you can do that any time. Satiate your wanderlust for now. Certainly is the best time for it. Old enough not to be a fool, but young enough to survive the inevitable tribulations. I say carry on.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at, at this point. Doing school would be good for rebuilding socially, which is important after half a decade of mountain hermitage, but it will lock me down at a point where I don't think I'm willing. I need to get more travel out of my system first, have more stories to write about. I'll take another look at that later.

I'll have to give 45 days notice on my apartment (and selling my car will take some time), so that's built-in recharge time back in the States, with a kick in the pants when the time expires.

That's the easy stuff. The hard question is: what will allow me to continue living without regret? The only answer I have, vague and incomplete as it is, is to not sit around languishing ever again.
And to marry a French girl. ;b
The details don't really matter.

Puddles

Banned
Fuck the 405. Only plebes actually use it. There is always a superior street route.

If it weren't for the fact that all the idiots would be funneled onto the streets I use, I'd support using thousands of helicopters to airlift the 405 out of LA and dumping it into the Pacific Ocean, or even nuking the 405 from orbit (it's the only way to be sure).

It's a pretty decent freeway once you get past El Segundo though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
As a new resident of LA, what is carmageddon?

The 405 will close next weekend between the 10 freeway and 101, through the Sepulveda pass. This closes one of two main routes into San Fernando Valley.

Last time it was DOOM AND GLOOM for weeks leading up to it. Some people left the city, most people stayed home. It was the most glorious traffic weekend ever. all the freeways were wide open all weekend long.

I'm highly concerned it'll be the flip side this time, everyone thinks it was completely over blown and tries to go places.

We shall see.

Puddles

Banned
Heh. 405 a "main route." Heh. If I want to drive from Long Beach to San Diego maybe.

I'm actually thankful that you guys exist; the streets would get way too crowded if everyone wised up.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Heh. 405 a "main route." Heh.

for millions of people, yeah.

and if there isn't traffic, it is. I know guys who live in SM and commute to Burbank, and they spend the morning on it but it's wide open.

Now if you need to use it during traffic, there usually are surface streets that are better. Hell, on Thursday after Weekend Confirmed i took PCH to Topanga, crossed there, then fired back on the 101. Probably took the same amount of time, but was much more fun than stop and go.

Regardless, you take the 405 out of play, and now those streets are jammed. That said, the non-week-day-ness of it alleviates most of the issues

From my one month here I have figured out that the 405 isn't all that bad. You just have to know when to get on it. Which is North in the morning and South in the evening.

My guess is...actually, I have no idea what will happen next weekend. I'm sure it won't be a worst-case scenario, though. SPEND TIME AT HOME WITH YOUR FAMILIES PEOPLE

Feep

Banned
Like what? All of L.A. would like to know. Like the shitty Cahuenga Pass? The fucked up Laurel Canyon? Traffic light hell up Sepulveda? The roundabout PCH Topanga route?
This. After years of experimentation, the truth is that most of the time, the 405 is simply the fastest way to get north of the hill.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WARNING: TRAFFIC CONGESTION AHEAD. AVERAGE SPEED FIVE MILES PER HOUR.

NO FASTER ALTERNATE ROUTE DETECTED.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
This. After years of experimentation, the truth is that most of the time, the 405 is simply the fastest way to get north of the hill.

If you are going west on the 101, and are in santa monica, PCH to Topanga Canyon can work.

Otherwise driving through Bel Air, which technically you aren't supposed to, but in reality you can, works as well. There is a road through there I've taken to get to Santa Monica appointments in the morning.

But yeah, there aren't a lot of options for crossing the hill

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
See you on Sunday!
Any requests for things to bring?

(assuming this is to me)

Whatever you want, man. I'll have beer and whatnot and an open grill, so feel free to bring over whatever hungers you.

I think I'm also going to have bowls of cereal ready to go. I stole this idea from a friend. It is an awesome idea.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
If you are going west on the 101, and are in santa monica, PCH to Topanga Canyon can work.

Otherwise driving through Bel Air, which technically you aren't supposed to, but in reality you can, works as well. There is a road through there I've taken to get to Santa Monica appointments in the morning.

But yeah, there aren't a lot of options for crossing the hill

name the road bro.

Zyzyxxz

(assuming this is to me)

Whatever you want, man. I'll have beer and whatnot and an open grill, so feel free to bring over whatever hungers you.

I think I'm also going to have bowls of cereal ready to go. I stole this idea from a friend. It is an awesome idea.

Dude, cereal is serious shit yo.

I would swing by but after my crazy work week I just want to do nothing all day. Have fun everyone who's going.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
(assuming this is to me)

Thanks for hosting, had a great time!
Hope we can get some more people from here out there next round.

A great time indeed! Fidelis rocked the freakin' house, and I'm pretty sure you and I made the biggest dent in the food supply. Was awesome bro'ing down on food/travel talk!

Puddles

Banned
I got sick and missed my flight from New York, so obviously I couldn't make it out.

It's a shame; I could have covered Wonderwall for you guys. Next time, I guess.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Agreed! Thanks for coming man. Your steak was delicious.

A great time indeed! Fidelis rocked the freakin' house, and I'm pretty sure you and I made the biggest dent in the food supply. Was awesome bro'ing down on food/travel talk!

I made people so hot and sweaty they just had to get rid of clothing.

301193_699929683976_696063806_n.jpg

I got sick and missed my flight from New York, so obviously I couldn't make it out.

It's a shame; I could have covered Wonderwall for you guys. Next time, I guess.

Next time indeed man. BBQ House show fun times are my new favorite thing.

Puddles

Banned
So I've been commuting from Echo Park to Westwood and back for the past week, and I've come to the conclusion that Los Angeles is not a functional city. It just isn't. There are some great parts, but for pretty large percentages of the day, you simply cannot do the things that people should be able to do in a major first-world metropolis.

So I've been commuting from Echo Park to Westwood and back for the past week, and I've come to the conclusion that Los Angeles is not a functional city. It just isn't. There are some great parts, but for pretty large percentages of the day, you simply cannot do the things that people should be able to do in a major first-world metropolis.

You are seriously fucking yourself traffic-wise commuting those directions.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
My sentiments too, Puds. Great people, great food, tons of variety of neighborhoods and scenes from the beach to the big city, nice weather. All sounds perfect, except it's totally broken and crippled, ruined by the transportation. When it takes longer to get from one side of a city to the other than it does to fly from one coast of the United States to the other, there's a problem. Maybe in 20 years it'll have a hyper efficient Google Car system, but for now I'm hesitant to even set foot in the place again.

Not much I can do for the next two years. The only option would be to move closer to the westside. In fact, I am definitely going to do that, because I can't spend 10-15 hours a week in a car.

You could try taking the MTA 2? Probably save a lot of money in the long run. (goes right to UCLA)

Wow. La gaf is old. I thought you guys were cool. Shindig in November, you say.

Yup. We're old, but that also means that we can enjoy a little 5-star meal once in a while.

If it's any consolation, no direction seems to work from one hub in LA to another. :p

My sentiments too, Puds. Great people, great food, tons of variety of neighborhoods and scenes from the beach to the big city, nice weather. All sounds perfect, except it's totally broken and crippled, ruined by the transportation. When it takes longer to get from one side of a city to the other than it does to fly from one coast of the United States to the other, there's a problem. Maybe in 20 years it'll have a hyper efficient Google Car system, but for now I'm hesitant to even set foot in the place again.

Exxxxactly. There's just no reasonable way to get around without a car, and even if you do have a car, the commute can be pretty absurd. But don't lie. You know you can't resist our 2AM bacon-wrapped hotdogs of regret. You'll be back. Yessiree.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, if anything, I need to take a trip to LA where I only use the public transit system, as a matter of thrill-seeking curiosity. I won't be able to admit it to anyone except you, though,
or I'll be committed to the psych ward ;b

Verano

Well, if anything, I need to take a trip to LA where I only use the public transit system, as a matter of thrill-seeking curiosity. I won't be able to admit it to anyone except you, though,

MTA

use and abuse that site evilore...just be there 10-15min before cuz sometimes the buses comes earlier than scheduled except for subway. they come right on time as prompted from the media screen

Well, if anything, I need to take a trip to LA where I only use the public transit system, as a matter of thrill-seeking curiosity a masochistic, teeth-grindingly pointless exercise in self-flagellation. I won't be able to admit it to anyone except you, though,

Fixed it for you.

But, should you ever feel like you truly deserve such punishment, I will detail the route I used to take to work before I moved to Torrance, and you will see what true pain is. I will have a nice cold beer waiting for you at Naja's if you survive. :)

MTA

use and abuse that site evilore...just be there 10-15min before cuz sometimes it comes earlier than scheduled

Nope, nope. MTA is fair for getting you a schedule, but the problem with the system is that the buses don't show up, are so late that they miss their connections, or break down on the way. I had 3 years of MTA hell, 6 buses a day and that kind of stuff was not a rare occurrence.

Verano

Nope, nope. MTA is fair for getting you a schedule, but the problem with the system is that the buses don't show up, are so late that they miss their connections, or break down on the way. I had 3 years of MTA hell, 6 buses a day and that kind of stuff was not a rare occurrence.

poor hp..
:/

anyways, I dont know where you live but I had almost no problem gettin to the bus on time..or wait that much for it to get to where I wanted to go around L.A.

Puddles

Banned
So the 2 bus goes from Sunset and Echo Park Blvd right to Westwood? I might try it out. The only issue I see is getting up a little earlier to walk to that intersection (probably a 15 minute walk from my house), and walking home in the dark with a backpack full of tech once Daylight Savings Time kicks in and the days really get shorter. At that point I will probably appreciate the fact that the gangbangers have mostly been replaced by hipsters in my neighborhood.

Sunset between Alvarado and Echo Park Blvd is hilarious now. So many tight jeans, horned-rim glasses, and stupid-looking hats where there used to be wifebeaters.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Puddles, have you considered taking olympic or Pico blvd to mid-wilshire/ktown and take a North on a residential street to Echo Park?

I commute 2-3 days a week from Silver Lake to WestLA/Santa Monica and back, coincidently I'm building the Expo 2 light rail project which will not be done until 2015.

Fidelis Hodie - sounds like a rad house party. Let us know next time!

Top Bottom