• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Jzero

Was it this bad last summer? I can't remember it being this bad....

Anyways, I'm here in Bellflower, CA (Next door to Cerritos!) contemplating if I should go grab a mop bucket to avoid making anyone clean up the mess that is my melted body.
Yea i remember even winter being hot last year.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
It's happening, I'm moving to Los Angeles in October. I will stay for 3-4 months first, company will review budgets and decide to keep me there for a full year. I need to be close to all the major broadcast networks. I'm thinking of staying here: 5600 wilshire. anyone heard of this place?

Zyzyxxz

It's happening, I'm moving to Los Angeles in October. I will stay for 3-4 months first, company will review budgets and decide to keep me there for a full year. I need to be close to all the major broadcast networks. I'm thinking of staying here: 5600 wilshire. anyone hard of this place?

I'm pretty hard for that place.

I'm assuming you meant heard? It could be a pricey place to live, that's basically Miracle Mile/Mid Whilshire area. If you are lucky you can find a rent controlled apartment but I'd doubt it.

bluemax

Banned
It's happening, I'm moving to Los Angeles in October. I will stay for 3-4 months first, company will review budgets and decide to keep me there for a full year. I need to be close to all the major broadcast networks. I'm thinking of staying here: 5600 wilshire. anyone heard of this place?

I think I worked with someone who lived there when I worked in the Variety building.

Personally I couldn't live in that area, it takes like 40 minutes to drive 5 miles to the free way, no thanks.

PG2G

Woah, that 3.5 quake was right under where I live. It definitely shook the building and creaked a lot. Frightening.

Scared the shit out of me. I normally won't get out of bed for a quake but I didn't hesitate for this one. It felt muuuch worse than a 3.5 to me, probably because it was "0km" deep

Scared the shit out of me. I normally won't get out of bed for a quake but I didn't hesitate for this one. It felt muuuch worse than a 3.5 to me, probably because it was "0km" deep

I'm relatively new to earthquakes so I always sit paralyzed unsure of what to do. Like..uh is this going to get worse?

Are you still supposed to get under a door frame?

thirty

Banned
picking food from vinh loi in Reseda tonight. place is the best vegan rest anywhere, and I'm not even vegan. try it; ham rolls and BBQ duck yakisoba.

Puddles

Banned
In about 16 hours I'm getting on a flight from Phnom Penh back to Los Angeles. I should be back in our fair city on Sunday.

So there's a heat wave going on right now? That kind of sucks.

Got a question for L.A. Gaf foodies: What tasting-menu/wine-pairing-esque restaurant would you recommend?

I've already tried the usual (Providence, Melisse, Bazaar, Campanille, Drago, Hatfileds, Craft, etc.), but there must be more options. Is Patina worth a go? Am I missing something amazing? (looking for a more European/American dining experience. There are lots of amazing omakase options in LA, but I'm more interested in the former at the moment.)

Zyzyxxz

Got a question for L.A. Gaf foodies: What tasting-menu/wine-pairing-esque restaurant would you recommend?

I've already tried the usual (Providence, Melisse, Bazaar, Campanille, Drago, Hatfileds, Craft, etc.), but there must be more options. Is Patina worth a go? Am I missing something amazing? (looking for a more European/American dining experience. There are lots of amazing omakase options in LA, but I'm more interested in the former at the moment.)

There is The Royce at the Langham Palace I read that is amazing. Another GAFer I know is working at Le Comptoir a fine dining popup run by Gary Menes. That's about all I can think of though since it seems you've hit all the heavy hitters.

I'm not too big on tasting menus though, LA seems to be really getting big on the mid-casual fare like Baco Mercat or Picca.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

well you have the big ones there. Osteria Mozza for pasta tasting maybe?

Water Grill, XIV, Patina, and maybe Ortolan would also be interesting choices

There is The Royce at the Langham Palace I read that is amazing. Another GAFer I know is working at Le Comptoir a fine dining popup run by Gary Menes. That's about all I can think of though since it seems you've hit all the heavy hitters.

I'm not too big on tasting menus though, LA seems to be really getting big on the mid-casual fare like Baco Mercat or Picca.

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Zyzyxxz! Will have to look those up. And I know tastings have somewhat gone out of style in favor of more rustic/casual (but gourmet) fare like Animal and Ink (which I like), but I do miss the high service and structured meals sometimes. It really bumps up the wine experience as well to have it paired, and I'm a huge fan of that.

Plus I was thinking of doing a fancy pants neogaf meet-up. There seemed to be some interest when we discussed it in the recent Santa Monica meet-up thread.

well you have the big ones there. Osteria Mozza for pasta tasting maybe?

Water Grill, XIV, Patina, and maybe Ortolan would also be interesting choices

I've been to Mozza, but not Water Grill, XIV, Patina or Ortolan. Would you say the latter are worth the price of admission? I've had the misfortune to go to a few in LA that were billed as a certain level but were woefully inadequate to the task. I have heard good things about Water Grill, though.

Zyzyxxz

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Zyzyxxz! Will have to look those up. And I know tastings have somewhat gone out of style in favor of more rustic/casual (but gourmet) fare like Animal and Ink (which I like), but I do miss the high service and structured meals sometimes. It really bumps up the wine experience as well to have it paired, and I'm a huge fan of that.

Plus I was thinking of doing a fancy pants neogaf meet-up. There seemed to be some interest when we discussed it in the recent Santa Monica meet-up thread.

I've been to Mozza, but not Water Grill, XIV, Patina or Ortolan. Would you say the latter are worth the price of admission? I've had the misfortune to go to a few in LA that were billed as a certain level but were woefully inadequate to the task. I have heard good things about Water Grill, though.

Yes I would love to try a fancy meetup. Also Ortolan was worth going but it closed a while back, XIV closed too but I read it wasn't that great. Water Grill is a hit or miss and it's more casual now after the remodel. Patina is a great mainstay of LA fine dining and one that I would definitely love to try.

Yes I would love to try a fancy meetup. Also Ortolan was worth going but it closed a while back, XIV closed too but I read it wasn't that great. Water Grill is a hit or miss and it's more casual now after the remodel. Patina is a great mainstay of LA fine dining and one that I would definitely love to try.

:) That's about 8 people who seem keen on it now. It would probably also be best 8-10 people to keep it more intimate. An exciting prospect.

And maybe Patina would be a good choice, then. It does have a pretty solid reputation and it's be nice to try something new. I'm sorry to have missed out on Ortolan. Makes me sad how many of the higher end places are closing (Sona! ;_;), but it's either evolve the model or go under these days. I still need to try your place too, Zyzyxxz!

Top Bottom