• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
let's do it. how does a week from tonight sound, 10/17?
I should be free. What time?
I want to go but I am going to be getting a research paper put together that week.
Oh shit, I can't go that night, I'm seeing Neil Young at the Hollywood Bowl.
To make this easier I can free myself for almost any evening.

Anyone else flexible? Don't want to leave out 2 if we can.

Ah sorry to hear that, I'm often try to make sure they get seasoned well (so you drink more). I suppose I was a bit heavy handed with that batch.

no worries. it worked, i had to go to the bar twice while our group of 4 was eating the fries and lotus chips lol

it's been a few months since we went there, the food was excellent, but it seemed the bartenders couldnt handle the traffic/crowd and whoever was in charge of like wristbands/greeting guests that night was a total space cadet. seems like things have improved though.

even if you weren't on gaf, zyzyxxz, i would still be raving about the food. my compliments to the chef!

Zyzyxxz

no worries. it worked, i had to go to the bar twice while our group of 4 was eating the fries and lotus chips lol

it's been a few months since we went there, the food was excellent, but it seemed the bartenders couldnt handle the traffic/crowd and whoever was in charge of like wristbands/greeting guests that night was a total space cadet. seems like things have improved though.

even if you weren't on gaf, zyzyxxz, i would still be raving about the food. my compliments to the chef!

Yeah we've been thru a few bartender/staff since opening but we're getting into our groove now. Just hoping we can build up a good local customer base over time.

Nekobo

I went back to Spirit House two weeks ago...and yeah, the curry fries are great. The tacos are awesome, too. Ugh, now I wanna go back to get my grub on lol.

Man Lincoln Heights got straight up FUCKED by the rating a little while ago. Never seen rain like that in LA before. Mission Rd. was completely flooded, curb to curb.

Argyle

To make this easier I can free myself for almost any evening.

Anyone else flexible? Don't want to leave out 2 if we can.

Bump for a new week. We gonna do this this week or next? I heard 24th-25th as a possibility as well, what's better for you guys?

thirty

Banned
this week may not be enough notice for a good turnout. I can do the 24th or another weds or thurs. Halloween is the following, I don't know. I am actually going to Granada in Alhambra for some salsa dancing this Saturday and depending on how early I get out of the house may try Spirit House.

dyls

Was there a LA-Gaf meetup planned for this weekend? I thought so, but I can't find it now.

I'd be down for Spirit Week next Wednesday. I'll be in Pasadena anyway.

Argyle

I'm totally in as long as it is this week or next. After that I won't really be around, so this is it for me :)

What happened to all the people who said they were coming this week but then couldn't make it? Not too many of them have said they are free next week...

Argyle

Ugh, after saying I was mostly free any night, I discovered I have something to do on the 24th :(

25th works for me but if most people are free on the 24th then I'll just drop by on my own when I can...

Zyzyxxz

Well if you guys are coming down on the 24th for karaoke then I should let you know that if you sing once you get happy hour pricing for one drink, if you sing twice happy hour pricing all night for you.

commedieu

Banned
Does anyone see a super bright flashing light near Orion?

Like about 4 "orions" away, if you take the area of him and move him away from the north star. Its in line with his belt.

Its flashing very fast, like blue, red, orange, pink. And flickering. Its weird..? I'm @ Labrea and the 10 freeway.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I see a very bright light (not flickering) about 3 belt stars from the belt, nearly inline with it.
Don't think I've seen it before. Also quite amazing how much more you can make out of the night sky if you stare at it for 5 minutes.

Like about 4 "orions" away, if you take the area of him and move him away from the north star. Its in line with his belt.

Its flashing very fast, like blue, red, orange, pink. And flickering. Its weird..? I'm @ Labrea and the 10 freeway.
commedieu
Aliens made this post

commedieu

Banned
I see a very bright light (not flickering) about 3 belt stars from the belt, nearly inline with it.
Don't think I've seen it before. Also quite amazing how much more you can make out of the night sky if you stare at it for 5 minutes.

commedieu
Aliens made this post

This thing was definitely flickering, and it was stationary..right? So fucking weird. Lets see if we see it tonight. I've never seen it. I just thought it was a plane, due to the flickering. But it wasn't moving.. yet had that flicker happening as if it was, when you see a plane fly. Where are u in LA?

I stopped, and looked at all the stars that were that bright... no flickering.. Orion, no flickering.. saw a few planes.. but they had timed flickering...

Wish my phone was working, coulda at least recorded it... It seemed like a fucking lightshow.

interesting that we both never saw that star/light though..

was such a lush night.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

I saw a shooting star yesterday around 6am..

farnsworth.jpg

I'm moving back to Los Angeles (permanently, hopefully) in about two weeks!
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I got steady freelance work that I can do remotely, and I think I have a super high chance of landing a certain job once I'm there on top of that. LATER OHIO!

Please tell me if you know of any rooms/apartments for rent in Santa Monica/Culver/Mar Vista area for 700-900 a month. All I need is decent internet, a room, hot water, and hopefully washer/dryer/dishwasher. Let me know if places to look aside from craigslist/padmapper too if you have any tips!

Can't wait to come back!

Zyzyxxz

farnsworth.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I got steady freelance work that I can do remotely, and I think I have a super high chance of landing a certain job once I'm there on top of that. LATER OHIO!

Please tell me if you know of any rooms/apartments for rent in Santa Monica/Culver/Mar Vista area for 700-900 a month. All I need is decent internet, a room, hot water, and hopefully washer/dryer/dishwasher. Let me know if places to look aside from craigslist/padmapper too if you have any tips!

Can't wait to come back!

If you care about internet check who serves what area first. I wouldn't want to be stuck with Time Warner.

I've been stuck with them my whole life. What do you guys recommend? I hear Comcast gets a bad rap too, and AT&T. I feel like there is no such thing as a good ISP at this point :|

beat

If you care about internet check who serves what area first. I wouldn't want to be stuck with Time Warner.

I have Time Warner. I live in Palms, and the tech who installed my stuff said this used to be a Comcast neighborhood. The service has been pretty good. A small number (under 10) of internet outages ranging between 30 min to a few hours over the last seven months. Otherwise, speed and connectivity has been fine.

Time Warner is the only service that doesn't have third-world country quality internet in my area. AT&T and Verizon suck at it. I wish I could get FiOS. :(

FStop7

Banned
farnsworth.jpg

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Can't wait to come back!

PM sent.

Im looking to rent a place in LA early next year with my GF for about $1300 a month. We want our own place, and i'm not adverse to living in the outer suburbs, as you have to drive everywhere anyway. Any recommendations? Maybe on the Silverlake side of LA, as that's where most of my interests will be around.

Iceman

We must have had a brown/black out in east LA (where I work) as well.. our computers were off this morning. We were fine in Pasadena though.

Argyle

All right guys, are we doing Spirit House this week or what? I may not be able to make it Wednesday until late, if that day works the best for everyone. How late are people planning to stay out?

Holler if you're planning to go! thirty, dyls, anyone else?

Top Bottom