• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Zyzyxxz

I'll be going!

...oh wait I'll be working.
3AQmK.gif

thirty

Banned
All right guys, are we doing Spirit House this week or what? I may not be able to make it Wednesday until late, if that day works the best for everyone. How late are people planning to stay out?

Holler if you're planning to go! thirty, dyls, anyone else?
I can be there between 5-9pm depending on when others will be there.

Argyle

Maybe I can be there closer to 5...otherwise, it might be really late for me, as I am supposed to be at a party in Loma Linda that night...

OK, I think I am now off the hook for that party, so I can be there whenever you guys are. How about 7pm?

So I've been really getting into looking for apartments now, so I'm wondering if anyone has used/knows of some really good companies or websites for apartments? I'd really really like to live in Culver City/Mar Vista/Santa Monica/Venice areas if I can.

I've mostly just been using craigslist/padmapper so far.

beat

I think some people have also had good experiences with Westside Rentals. Personally, I was and am opposed to paying to get rental listings, so I haven't used them.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I think some people have also had good experiences with Westside Rentals. Personally, I was and am opposed to paying to get rental listings, so I haven't used them.

westside rentals is the only way to go. A lot of the best buildings / landlords only use it, because they know the fee helps dissuade a lot of people from signing up. It's like a riff-raff fee.

You can dig through the shit hole that is Craigslist, but Westside is worth it. If you're starting work somewhere (or already work someone) e-mail the spam list at the company and see if anyone has an account (or check with HR). Works pretty well usually

Hmm, we'll I asked some friends, and they said noone they knew had a remotely good experience with them.. Maybe I will try them as a last resort. Either way..
So
Freaking
Excited
To move! I'm road tripping yet again across the US starting Saturday. Woo hooooo!

overcast

Alright GAF, it's my anniversary and I was hoping to take my GF somewhere nice for it. It's an 11 month so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Any ideas? How is the pier at night?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Alright GAF, it's my anniversary and I was hoping to take my GF somewhere nice for it. It's an 11 month so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. Any ideas? How is the pier at night?

ok, though I'd do something like the Griffith Observatory or the Hollywood Bowl overlook for a more romantic option looking over the lights of the city.

Hmm, we'll I asked some friends, and they said noone they knew had a remotely good experience with them.. Maybe I will try them as a last resort. Either way..
So
Freaking
Excited
To move! I'm road tripping yet again across the US starting Saturday. Woo hooooo!

Good luck with the drive. It's a fun one.

Argyle

im already in the area. it's in the Lincoln plaza hotel. according to yelp, the parking lot roof leads directly to the bar's patio area. btw, i'll be wearing a vest and will be solo.

Running late but about to head out, should be there in 30 minutes or so.

I'm wearing a Daft Punk t-shirt if it helps you spot me.

tm24

So I'm heading out to catch a show at the Wiltern after class tomorrow. Since i dont want to drive the hour back home or spend time at school, what can i waste my time visiting/eating?

Argyle

So thirty and I showed up: here's some pictures of what you guys missed:

Lotus chips
20121024_194120.jpg

Garlic wings
20121024_195115.jpg

Panang curry fries
20121024_195120.jpg

These guys know how to use their fryer correctly. All were great, with the wings and fries fried perfectly.

Zyzyxxz, it was loud as hell in there when you dropped by (hey, it was karaoke night) so I couldn't hear if you mentioned the name of the other GAF'er you work with - say hi in the thread, whoever you are!

Zyzyxxz

Zyzyxxz, it was loud as hell in there when you dropped by (hey, it was karaoke night) so I couldn't hear if you mentioned the name of the other GAF'er you work with - say hi in the thread, whoever you are!

Thanks for swinging by! The other GAFer who works with me was cmonmanreally.

thirty

Banned
yeah good times last night. was great chatting it up with argyle. interesting that we were both nearly in the same points in our lives; engagement, upcoming wedding, etc. best of luck to you in Hawaii.

oh, and those panang curry fries, amazing.

Lotus chips
20121024_194120.jpg

Garlic wings
20121024_195115.jpg

Panang curry fries
20121024_195120.jpg

These guys know how to use their fryer correctly. All were great, with the wings and fries fried perfectly.

Fuck I want to try those fries.

I have to go and shoot a shit load of shit for class today. I'm thinking of just driving around the city with friends and taking a ton of photos. So if I can convince them to go eat I might try and stop by Zyzyxxz.

Kambing

Sorry if this may be somewhat OT, but i would really appreciate a few pointers from you guys that live in LA...

So i am planning a trip to go to LA with my wife and 4 yr old daughter for 7 nights. I will be driving from San Francisco. To be honest i am kind of overwhelmed with the amount of options LA has in terms accommodation, places to eat, attractions etc. Budget is $5000 +-$1000. Want to go between January 2-10. Good time or bad time?

I am planning to stay at Magic Castle Hotel. So right off the bat, yeah or nay? Is it even worth it to stay in Hollywood? I really have no clue >.<... If not this hotel do you guys know of a good alternative?

Keeping in mind the family, if you LA'ers were in the shoes of outsiders, which place for sure would you guys go visit knowing you only had 8 days?

And lastly, any like top favorite restaurants? Cheap, expensive, sweet or spicy, my palate is flexible, so any suggestions welcome. I know this is asking a lot but the sudden realization of the wife and kid not having a good time hit me 10 minutes ago and i am kind of freaking out haha... ha =(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

Sorry if this may be somewhat OT, but i would really appreciate a few pointers from you guys that live in LA...

So i am planning a trip to go to LA with my wife and 4 yr old daughter for 7 nights. I will be driving from San Francisco. To be honest i am kind of overwhelmed with the amount of options LA has in terms accommodation, places to eat, attractions etc. Budget is $5000 +-$1000. Want to go between January 2-10. Good time or bad time?

I am planning to stay at Magic Castle Hotel. So right off the bat, yeah or nay? Is it even worth it to stay in Hollywood? I really have no clue >.<... If not this hotel do you guys know of a good alternative?

Keeping in mind the family, if you LA'ers were in the shoes of outsiders, which place for sure would you guys go visit knowing you only had 8 days?

And lastly, any like top favorite restaurants? Cheap, expensive, sweet or spicy, my palate is flexible, so any suggestions welcome. I know this is asking a lot but the sudden realization of the wife and kid not having a good time hit me 10 minutes ago and i am kind of freaking out haha... ha =(

eh, with a car you don't need to stay in Hollywood. What's most important to see for you? Are you going to do Disneyland? You can easily stay down there for a few nights. The beaches are good areas to stay too.

Great attractions (4-year old is tough):

-Disneyland (+California Adventure)
-Knott's Berry Farm
-LA Zoo (or better yet, go to San Diego for their Zoo and Wild Animal Park)
-Also in San Diego: Sea World / Lego Land
-Universal Studios and tour and such
-Griffith Observatory
-Santa Monica and Pier
-Venice Beach
-Various Downtown museums
-La Brea Tar Pits
-Science museum in the cube
-Lakers / Clippers game
-Walk of Fame / Grauman's Chinese, Egyptian / Dolby Theatre

Food is tough with a 4-year old, but some ideas:

-800 Degree Pizza in Westwood. Get to select all the ingredients for your pizza, and it's Naples style. You can walk from there to Diddy Reese where you can get an ice cream sandwhich for 1.75

-Food trucks around town, chase down the Kogi truck for korean tacos, or Nintendoll's Wien for chili cheese dogs

-Sushi Row in the valley if you want to find great sushi. Katsuya in Studio City is great (but just the studio city one in terms of value / food).

-Jitlada Thai in Hollywood for incredible thai, including their spicy menu which will blow your socks off.

-If you go to Disneyland, eat at the Blue Bayou, be sure to reserve a table by the water (do it as early as you can) so you can see the boats heading into Pirates of the Carribbean.

-Tito's Tacos on the west side is sort of a long-term institution.

-Another fun spot is Philippe's The Original - where the French Dip was founded, near downtown.

-lots to see downtown in terms of buildings / architecture / angels flight, etc.

-some good hiking in Malibu Canyon state park, Runyon Canyon, Fryman canyon and Griffith Park.

-old town pasadena is fun too with lots of options for food and shopping, you can also do the whole Beverly Hills thing and check out Rodeo drive.

touristy brain is exhausted. enjoy the trip!

Kambing

Awesome advice...

Thanks so much man!

This is exactly what i was looking for. LA seems like such an awesome place O_O. Yeah we plan to stop by Disney land and stay at the resort for 2-3 nights which i hope will be awesome. Will definitely keep that in mind about the boats and Pirates of the Carribbean.

But again, thanks man for the effort. T'was a comprehensive list

Linkhero1

I'm driving down from San Francisco in January. Recommend me places to go. I'm definitely going to Disneyland. What places should I check out, including restaurants?

Just got home. Shot like 6 rolls of films. Going to spend most of the weekend developing them. L.A. isn't really hard to get around outside of traffic. Started in Santa Monica to Downtown and back to Northridge and pretty much everywhere in between. I've been around most of these places before but my college buddies are all new to the area so they enjoyed the shit out it.

Now onto something completely different.

Where the hell is Norwalk? An uncle I never met (long story) died a year ago and his wife and children want to meet me.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
OH OH OH.

If you go to Philippe's bring cash.

Also - go to Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles, Obama stopped there, and it's Tarantino's favorite hangout. It's exactly what you think it is and it's probably perfect for a four-year-old's palette too. Great food.

So
Freaking
Excited

I had the WORST time with them.

Ended up finding the best spot in all of LA from just driving around. Los Feliz, best neighborhood, I can walk to most everything I need, a luxury not often found in LA. Also so close to the metro for going to hollywood and downtown.

I had the WORST time with them.

Ended up finding the best spot in all of LA from just driving around. Los Feliz, best neighborhood, I can walk to most everything I need, a luxury not often found in LA. Also so close to the metro for going to hollywood and downtown.

Yeah I talked to more people a I'm hearing more bad than good.

I might have to try wandering around and looking for rentals I guess. I would enjoy exploring more though!

Leaving tomorrow morning woo!

Linkhero1

I'm driving down from San Francisco in January. Recommend me places to go. I'm definitely going to Disneyland. What places should I check out, including restaurants?

Anyone? :(

So far I'm planning on going to Disneyland, Huntington Beach, Hollywood and Beverley Hills. For food, I'm trying to avoid any fast food restaurants that I can find here and plan on only exploring unique places. So far I only have Bruxie's on my radar. Also what are the best areas to shop? I went to Americana At Brand in Glendale the last time I went down and thought it was lovely.

Top Bottom